HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 10:34 PM

Now this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.chasingsummerfestival.com

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:11 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Holy Shit!!! Now that is AMAZING!

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 4:08 PM
Near Generational

That is a sick lineup. They really outdid themselves. Not one single complaint about anything. The venue will be fantastic. I really hope they get great weather and can execute with the huge crowds.

Presale is on now.

Send me a PM for the password.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Better line-up, location, and cheaper pricing than Badlands. If I were to go to one of these events, it's a no brainer. I'm just wondering which DJ's i'd be missing given that I probably couldn't get there until about 6pm on Friday, and the event starts at 1pm?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:49 PM
City Maker

I am sooooo happy I decided to hold off on buying tickets to Badlands!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:01 PM

I'd still go to Badlands just to see Pretty Lights, that dude is sick. The rest of the lineup is a bit weak though.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'd still go to Badlands just to see Pretty Lights, that dude is sick. The rest of the lineup is a bit weak though.
i'm glad i saw pretty lights at sno blower a few years back.

great show and great price

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:42 PM

I'd hit up Badlands for Pretty Lights and The M Machine for sure, COP would make for a great natural amphitheatre and I can only imagine the destruction that PK sound would have on that place... I'd also like to see Excision although I'm not a big fan of dub at all, he's got a more dancey style of Bass music rather than the zombie type tunes you'd usually hear from dub producers...

Chasing Summer should be a neat festival! Mostly stoked for Above&Beyond, I haven't liked any other producers more than I like A&B right now, absolute pure top notch quality dance music! A festival like this with their name on it has been a long time coming and I'm glad it's finally happening!
This would be the 4th year in a row seeing Tiesto and I'm not sure if it's just me, he seems to be VERY back and forth with the quality of his sets. Last December's was OKAY at best, too many mashups that didn't work well together... Too much vocals, not much progression at all, just straight bang bang bang. But I guess that's what we're supposed to expect from an A-List headliner right?
Hoping Wolfy G can light it up, he's a hugely talented guy but feels like he's been following mainstream a little much and getting his signature sound slightly out of tune. Here's hoping he taps back into the 2007-2009 Wolfy that I know and love

Of all the other headliners, Mat Zo should be sweet, hoping he dips back into his older trance/progressive sounds as well. Same goes for Tritonal though they've really hit that mainstream type of sound too, not saying they'll be bad, but too much of that sound can really kill a vibe quickly. Hope they throw some old Air Up There uplifting remixes into their set. Seven Lions should be good but this is just my opinion, he's kinda sounding like a one-hit-wonder. Too much of the same old same old with the remix competition he won and not experimenting further into his sound, a lot of his tracks/remixes sound too much of the same.
I like MS54 but I have a feeling a lot of their set will just be vocal mashups which again, can be good, only if they're done right. I expect these guys to do it right.... Hopefully.
Of all the other headliners - meh.
Krewella - the girls are good looking, but trying to be something they're not though (Dubstep/electro with soft uplifting vocals)
Andrew Rayel - Good young guy, should be one of the next up and comers in trance - really hard to say what kind of reaction he would get here though.
Morgan Page - isn't he here like every second month? He's got good productions but too much of something can also be a bad thing
Tommy Trash - Decent, not overly stoked though - no comment.
Can't really say much else about Topher Jones/CandyLand

Overall should be a very neat festival, atleast you save a couple coins going this route rather than Badlands, I wonder what kind of capacity Fort Calgary can hold.... And how they will accommodate transportation?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:49 PM

Also as a sidenote, had a huge rant on my facebook in regards to the lack of variations with genres that these types of festivals engage.
Obviously being Calgary, a lot of these more "unknown" type of genres would barely fly, but I don't see how it would hurt leaving them out?
Seems as though one can really only get away with booking either Commercial House/Commercial Trance/or Dubstep/Bass for these types of festivals where "Fist-Pumping" or "Frolicking" (as I would call it... Maybe "Flailing"?) would be the average moves of the audience...
Would definitely love to see some Techno/Tech House/Deep House/REAL Progressive House in a festival like this... Again it would just be nice to cater to ALL audiences of EDM rather than the ones that just make people giddy/excited/pumped til their next hit of e. :s
Plus I can only imagine it would increase revenues with a greater variation within the festival? Idk. I would just like to see it happen here. Even just once. Please.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I'd hit up Badlands for Pretty Lights and The M Machine for sure, COP would make for a great natural amphitheatre and I can only imagine the destruction that PK sound would have on that place... I'd also like to see Excision although I'm not a big fan of dub at all, he's got a more dancey style of Bass music rather than the zombie type tunes you'd usually hear from dub producers...

Chasing Summer should be a neat festival! Mostly stoked for Above&Beyond, I haven't liked any other producers more than I like A&B right now, absolute pure top notch quality dance music! A festival like this with their name on it has been a long time coming and I'm glad it's finally happening!
This would be the 4th year in a row seeing Tiesto and I'm not sure if it's just me, he seems to be VERY back and forth with the quality of his sets. Last December's was OKAY at best, too many mashups that didn't work well together... Too much vocals, not much progression at all, just straight bang bang bang. But I guess that's what we're supposed to expect from an A-List headliner right?
Hoping Wolfy G can light it up, he's a hugely talented guy but feels like he's been following mainstream a little much and getting his signature sound slightly out of tune. Here's hoping he taps back into the 2007-2009 Wolfy that I know and love

Of all the other headliners, Mat Zo should be sweet, hoping he dips back into his older trance/progressive sounds as well. Same goes for Tritonal though they've really hit that mainstream type of sound too, not saying they'll be bad, but too much of that sound can really kill a vibe quickly. Hope they throw some old Air Up There uplifting remixes into their set. Seven Lions should be good but this is just my opinion, he's kinda sounding like a one-hit-wonder. Too much of the same old same old with the remix competition he won and not experimenting further into his sound, a lot of his tracks/remixes sound too much of the same.
I like MS54 but I have a feeling a lot of their set will just be vocal mashups which again, can be good, only if they're done right. I expect these guys to do it right.... Hopefully.
Of all the other headliners - meh.
Krewella - the girls are good looking, but trying to be something they're not though (Dubstep/electro with soft uplifting vocals)
Andrew Rayel - Good young guy, should be one of the next up and comers in trance - really hard to say what kind of reaction he would get here though.
Morgan Page - isn't he here like every second month? He's got good productions but too much of something can also be a bad thing
Tommy Trash - Decent, not overly stoked though - no comment.
Can't really say much else about Topher Jones/CandyLand

Overall should be a very neat festival, atleast you save a couple coins going this route rather than Badlands, I wonder what kind of capacity Fort Calgary can hold.... And how they will accommodate transportation?
You have given a really good breakdown of this event. I am soooo stoked to see Above & Beyond. They have just been killing it lately. Total top notch.

I couldn't agree with you more about Tiesto. Always hit and miss. but even with the misses most wont be disappointed. Largely, its like his podcast. You are going to hear the latest and greatest, lots of vocal and pop remixes. His name alone will be a huge draw.

Matt Zo should be solid too. Really excited for that one.

I think the venue will be great. Should be a massive crowd, the neighbours will be pissed and an event like this will never happen again LOL

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:12 PM

i'd like to see that too cruzer but i wouldn't hold my breath.

you should come to stacey pullen on the 31st if you want to hear a dj play across genres.

i expect some pretty headstrong stuff though so it's not for everyone.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:12 PM

What does Above & Beyond spin? never really heard of him/her

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:18 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Also as a sidenote, had a huge rant on my facebook in regards to the lack of variations with genres that these types of festivals engage.
Obviously being Calgary, a lot of these more "unknown" type of genres would barely fly, but I don't see how it would hurt leaving them out?
Seems as though one can really only get away with booking either Commercial House/Commercial Trance/or Dubstep/Bass for these types of festivals where "Fist-Pumping" or "Frolicking" (as I would call it... Maybe "Flailing"?) would be the average moves of the audience...
Would definitely love to see some Techno/Tech House/Deep House/REAL Progressive House in a festival like this... Again it would just be nice to cater to ALL audiences of EDM rather than the ones that just make people giddy/excited/pumped til their next hit of e. :s
Plus I can only imagine it would increase revenues with a greater variation within the festival? Idk. I would just like to see it happen here. Even just once. Please.
I am curious to see what the setup will be like. It would appear that with both Badlands and Chasing Summer that we are looking at a single stage setup. With this you are just trying to get as many people through the gate. I really think that the success of these types of events will lead to bigger ones with at least 2-3 stages or separate tents and the ability to host much more diverse lineups.

i am curious to see the setup for Chasing Summer. Fort Calgary would certainly be large enough to have the main stage, a separate tent and even a third stage

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:19 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Here is their set from March at Ultra Music Fest:
Video Link

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This was their debut on BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix. This is certainly one of my FAVOURITE Essential Mixes. It's so well programmed.
http://www.mixcloud.com/OnTrancer/ab...ix-06-06-2004/

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:30 PM

A little trancy for my tastes, not bad though. I do like how they have some very housy elements in there too. Calgary needs a good DnB show! that's something I would be game for.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
A trio from the UK that formed around the mid to late 90's. Very famous for their former weekly Trance Podcast: Trance Around The World which has recently given way for their new Podcast: Group Therapy... They own and manage their record labels Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep with hundreds of artists signed. They are mostly trance but have done progressive/electro and even house tracks.... Basically most people would think Armin or the old Tiesto when trance comes to mind, IMO Above&Beyond have pioneered a lot of what trance is today... Though credit goes to many other producers as well... Above&Beyond definitely helped pave the way for electronic dance music with their contributions especially with TATW/Group Therapy Radio

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:43 PM

nm

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:27 PM
BANNED

It is not a music festival per se, but offers great music performances none-the-less. The World Partnership Walk is happening at Prince's Island Park on June 9, 2013. As always, there will be free and fantastic afternoon entertainment after participants return from their stroll in support of International Development. I went last year and was really impressed by the performances. If the cause floats your boat, do participate by all means, but even if you don't do the walk, all are invited for the entertainment. I believe food trucks will also be present.

Here's a slide-show with a pinch of microphone popping video from last year:
Video Link

Web-site: www.worldpartnershipwalk.com

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 12:35 AM
BANNED

A few more Sled bands:

Explosions in the sky - First breath after coma
Video Link

The Courtney’s - "90210"
Video Link

Chains Of Love - He's Leaving (With Me)
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation