HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:52 PM

I think it's hilarious that AZ Republic can carry a quote the Journalism school will be among the top in the nation when just a few years ago (when I was at ASU) it was facing losing its accreditation. I don't think any school can recover quite that quickly. Plus, a four-year degree to learn multimedia skills? No wonder our news sucks so bad....

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:21 PM

When was it ever facing losing accreditation? I graduated from ASU 5 years ago (not in journalism), but ever since I can remember it was doing well and ranked pretty high.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:51 PM

Andrewkfromaz......sucks so "badly"....not sucks so "bad" use ther adverb and not the adjective..... sure your degree is valid? hehehe Just joking.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:19 AM

Can someone post the complete article? Thanks.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...30/story6.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 9:51 AM

I'm a May '08 Cronkite School graduate..

The program was never at risk of losing accreditation. Not even close. What happened was: the school was warned that it did not have enough diversity on its staff, and that it had to take steps to diversify staff members or it could potentially be at risk in the future.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Andrewkfromaz......sucks so "badly"....not sucks so "bad" use ther adverb and not the adjective..... sure your degree is valid? hehehe Just joking.
Actually, it's "so badly sucks," to use the adverb correctly (or, sorry, to correctly use the adverb).

Anyway...

I don't know about being at risk a few years ago, but, for what this is worth, the journalism program is tough to get into and in the publishing world has a pretty great reputation.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:37 PM

well played Kevin....or played well!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:00 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
I think it's hilarious that AZ Republic can carry a quote the Journalism school will be among the top in the nation when just a few years ago (when I was at ASU) it was facing losing its accreditation. I don't think any school can recover quite that quickly.
We should give credit to that chick from Gilbert on the Real World for the free advertising.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:08 AM

All right, all right, thanks for setting me straight there guys. Eesh.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:52 AM

You're a good man Andrew!!!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:12 AM

New Guy

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum, but I have been a periodic lurker in the past. Every couple of months I write feature stories for Rocky Mountain Construction magazine, and my most recent stories focused on the ASU Downtown Campus construction — mainly the Cronkite building and the new housing towers. The articles are heavy on tech, since the magazine's subscribers are primarily people in the trade.

On this story and a previous one focused on the Sheraton Downtown, I came to this forum looking for ideas and angles I hadn't considered. The forum has been a valuable resource, and I hope to use it again on future stories.

I'm not sure what the protocol is, but I can provide a link to the online version of the stories if that is not a violation of the No-Commercial-Stuff clause I agreed to at sign up. If it is, I imagine I'll be hearing from the moderators soon. If it's okay, I'll check back tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 6:00 AM
Skyriser

^ I don't think the mods would mind.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ I don't think the mods would mind.
I'll assume it's okay. Here's the link: http://www.acppubs.com/article/ca6569795.html

The story on the Cronkite building generated some interest, mainly because of the innovative approach the contractors used to get the building designed and built so quickly.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 6:34 PM

Wow, thanks for the article, great read. I appreciate the building already, but reading this makes me appreciate it a lot more. Thanks again and welcome.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoZonie View Post
Hello all. This is my first post on the forum, but I have been a periodic lurker in the past. Every couple of months I write feature stories for Rocky Mountain Construction magazine, and my most recent stories focused on the ASU Downtown Campus construction — mainly the Cronkite building and the new housing towers. The articles are heavy on tech, since the magazine's subscribers are primarily people in the trade.

On this story and a previous one focused on the Sheraton Downtown, I came to this forum looking for ideas and angles I hadn't considered. The forum has been a valuable resource, and I hope to use it again on future stories.

I'm not sure what the protocol is, but I can provide a link to the online version of the stories if that is not a violation of the No-Commercial-Stuff clause I agreed to at sign up. If it is, I imagine I'll be hearing from the moderators soon. If it's okay, I'll check back tomorrow.
holy crap dude did you seriously just ask that? how retarded can you be? asking if you can share your own writing on a FORUM... do you know what a forum is? do I need to explain that to you?

dumbass.

thanks for the article, I always like reading different perspectives on my neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
holy crap dude did you seriously just ask that? how retarded can you be? asking if you can share your own writing on a FORUM... do you know what a forum is? do I need to explain that to you?

dumbass.

thanks for the article, I always like reading different perspectives on my neighborhood.
Thanks for your gracious welcome. As soon as I sold the article to the magazine, it became their property. Referencing the magazine could be construed as promotion of a commercial enterprise, and doing that is prohibited in the terms of agreement for this site. I do know what a forum is, and I also know that more than a few intellectual-property lawsuits have sprung from forum postings.

You seem to be very angry about this. Why?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:13 PM
BANNED

oh don't mind me. you'll get to know me after a while. I have a high tolerance for people who do what they want without regard (as long as it doesn't affect me) and a low tolerance for people who are timid, abide by the rules, or ask too many questions.

oh yeah, and I'm just flat out a dickhead.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
oh don't mind me. you'll get to know me after a while. I have a high tolerance for people who do what they want without regard (as long as it doesn't affect me) and a low tolerance for people who are timid, abide by the rules, or ask too many questions.

oh yeah, and I'm just flat out a dickhead.
Nice to meet you. I imagine we'll be crossing paths frequently, since this forum is a great resource for story ideas, and I don't mind sharing. If you know of any other interesting construction projects that would make a good story, let me know.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:25 PM

I think both Cityscape and One Central Park East could make for good articles.
One Central Park East seems to have a lot of "technical" stuff that goes with it...would be nice to hear more about it, the type of materials being used, the height, what makes it "special" etc.
Same with Cityscape...more technical information about it's height, the parking garage, access off the street or underground? Things like that.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoZonie View Post
Nice to meet you. I imagine we'll be crossing paths frequently, since this forum is a great resource for story ideas, and I don't mind sharing. If you know of any other interesting construction projects that would make a good story, let me know.
I've always wanted someone to write an article about why I wake up with a boner every morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest