HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's pretty cool. A good place to try that'd be the little park with the billboard right across from the Delta. It's just a little corner with a bench right now. A nice light, table, whatever... something more inviting... could be a good test.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:03 PM

I think that would just be a public space improvement. The article has a larger scale - approximately the size of a field or small park which is fenced in, but once inside, you can drink, listen to music, enjoy the fun of being out and socializing. I think the attempt is to just provide a venue for doing it which we don't have much of in St.John's!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, it's all just public space improvement.

Bannerman Park comes close to this in some regards - but only for specific events. The National War Memorial is closer still - but only as a place for people to lounge around in the summer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:22 PM

It's still not really the same thing...

Those are just public spaces. You can't drink there. There's no events there. Bannerman park has an event like a Social Club a couple times per year and it costs a fortune to get in.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh, I know it's just the same. Just thinking out loud about what we have that comes closest.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:24 PM

Social Clubs aren't public spaces. They're semi-public - you can drink, there's a permanent stage, maybe a recreation space, a kanteen, music playing, maybe film nights, etc. etc. You would likely need to pay to enter (a couple bucks) but could also bring in your own alcohol, for instance.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
Social Clubs aren't public spaces. They're semi-public - you can drink, there's a permanent stage, maybe a recreation space, a kanteen, music playing, maybe film nights, etc. etc. You would likely need to pay to enter (a couple bucks) but could also bring in your own alcohol, for instance.
Yeah, it really is a heavenly idea.

We need some sort of public square downtown as well, where a fruit market, etc. can go seasonally.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:27 PM

Oh, lol. I didn't realize.

In cities like Montreal, public parks actually function as social clubs for everyone. They don't in NL. Public drinking is frowned upon and laws against it are actually enforced (unlike in Montreal). It's totally acceptable to go to a mid-large sized park in Montreal with a half case of beer with a picnic and spend the day hanging out. It really animates the park in a great way. Any given night in Montreal, you have to look for a space to sit in parc Lafontaine or parc Jeanne-Mance or parc Laurier, for example (if you are familiar at all with mtl). Our public drinking laws in NL are antiquated.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds a lot like bowring park. Or maybe harbour side park. Why build these if we already have so many great functioning social clubs?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You don't need to sell me on the joys of public drinking.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Sounds a lot like bowring park. Or maybe harbour side park. Why build these if we already have so many great functioning social clubs?
We don't really. You can't legally drink in any of those places. Those places don't have predictable music playing or movies being shown, etc.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I know...

We could build an open-air, almost wall-less replica of a traditional Newfoundland kitchen on an empty lot downtown and everyone's welcome to join in the party day and night.

Only half joking... It would be tacky, but cute.

And that could constitute only the stage portion of the property, for slightly less tack.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ooh, I thought of another place that meets some of the criteria: Middle Cove Beach.

Every night during the summer, hundreds of people go there, sitting around dozens of fires, drinking, laughing, socializing. And it's all a public space, with free admission.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:43 PM

That's true - but you're screwed if you don't have access to a car. Too damn far away for an every-day excursion.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 8:26 PM

So more like Wedgwood park

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 11:45 PM

Hey guys

Why don't we have a zoo? or an aquarium?

me and signal went to the mini aquarium in Petty Harbour and it was great, I'm just wondering why we don't have an actual full sized one? I guess Salmonaire Nature park is kind of a local animal zoo.

I think MUN and some private corporation maybe should get together and develop one, even a full aquarium or zoo/Aquarium with seals and polar bears and animals that are easy to maintain in our climate ... like penguins and all the great sea animals that are native to here.

out in the Kemount Terrace area would be a cool location or even out near Glencrest. However I think it's time we have some more things like this. even Moncton and Saint John have Zoos

on another note, we need a real amusement park built near the city as well!

one step at a time but I think these things would be great additions to the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 12:09 AM

Start a campaign! I was actually thinking, possibly dreaming, about us having an amusement park here. I can't remember where I envisioned it too, I remember thinking it may be out of the way.

Ohhh now I remember, I thought an amusement park would be better than that campground on Blackhead Road!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Oh, lol. I didn't realize.

In cities like Montreal, public parks actually function as social clubs for everyone. They don't in NL. Public drinking is frowned upon and laws against it are actually enforced (unlike in Montreal). It's totally acceptable to go to a mid-large sized park in Montreal with a half case of beer with a picnic and spend the day hanging out. It really animates the park in a great way. Any given night in Montreal, you have to look for a space to sit in parc Lafontaine or parc Jeanne-Mance or parc Laurier, for example (if you are familiar at all with mtl). Our public drinking laws in NL are antiquated.
Wow what a buzz kill. How do you ever hope St. John's will have the culture of a city like Montreal when we aren't even allowed to have a beer at the park or beach. That really bothers me. So uptight.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Unfortunately, in that regard St. John's is much the same as any other Canadian city (except Quebec). In this case, Canadian cities = No Fun cities.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Unfortunately, in that regard St. John's is much the same as any other Canadian city (except Quebec). In this case, Canadian cities = No Fun cities.
Yes Halifax is the same way. But when was the last time they let up on the law? Only place for them to go is to be more strict haha. Just use a coffee mug!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's