HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55 View Post
Pdf... I'm not sure about your question on the parking under Rash field.

yes, it sucks about the Ravens

I will try to contact my contact tomorrow. It has been anywhere from a day to a week for a response back time. I have a feeling that they won't know anything new on it. Last word I got was in November? and they had said that they are still trying to determine how much space to be used for hotel/retail/condos,.... how much space for each type of use. After that they will deterimine exactly how many square feet to make the building and thus prepare a final design/rendering for the building. They may still be at this same point. Or maybe they know how much they need for each and are in the re-design phase, but I can't imaging that taking too much time since they basically know how it will be. I will find out and let you know though!! Hopefully there will be a different response than the last. In either case, I know they are working hard on it.

Anyone have a good pic to post of Zenith? I have seen it in person from the Light & Pratt intersection and it is looking nice.

It's not a great pic, but here's the view from my house. I would walk a few blocks closer for a better shot if it wasn't freezing outside (sorry).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:22 PM

I have to say its coming along nicely.....it will be a good addition to the skyline when its completed

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

There are several renderings of the Zenith I could look for.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:33 PM
Baltimore

Well, it is good for the west side as there is nothing over there, but Zenith isn't really tall at all. Thanks for the pic!!!!!

Ok, so I emailed with my 10IH contact and basically got nothing new.

This is what it said:

Sorry, but no good updates yet. Still redesigning and figuring out mix of retail, condos, hotel.

Nothing confirmed yet.

So, I guess they are still working hard on it. They are not sure even where in the building could be. I asked if it is safe to say that there would be retail on the bottom then the hotel and then condos on top, but they replied back and said they still do not know.

It would be hard to imagine having retail at the top though, I'd think that would have to go on the bottom for easy street access for everyone, but maybe not. Isn't there supposed to be 1 or 2 nice restaurants in it? Maybe there will be retail stores at the bottom but they want to put a restaurant high up, it would be a first for Baltimore wouldn't it? That may be interesting if they did something like that.

Imagine fine dining high up and looking down at the whole lighted city and all of the reflections of the city's lights in the harbor at night. That would be some busy restaurant all the time.

What do you guys think?

Also, anyone have any 300 E Pratt news since that was also proposed a while ago?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 5:46 PM

I hope that if they build it, its close to the same design because I liked the original proposal. I think the resturant on the top is a great idea That idea might become a reality too because with hotels and condos in the building it would make sense to have a resturant in it too. Finally when you say nothing is confirmed does that mean the actual building isnt confirmed yet?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

No, the building is going up.
Watching and waiting for construction costs to lower, has given them more time to re-think the layout/mixing of the different components. I think the design may stay similar in look although a material addition/subtraction may happen. I love the glass dominance and hope it still will be very glassy.
I LOVE the idea of a restaurant at the top of the tower. Excelent idea, indeed!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 2:57 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
It's not a great pic, but here's the view from my house. I would walk a few blocks closer for a better shot if it wasn't freezing outside (sorry).

i love this view!!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Now where are those Zenith pix? :?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:09 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

Wada here. It's nice to see familiar faces. I'm laying the ground work for a switch from SSC to here. I'm really tired of arguing with Washingtonians over at SSC, especially one in particular who thinks that John Wilkes Booth was a politician and that UTZ potato chips are made in Baltimore.

My interest is in Baltimore Development, not Baltimore/Washington Development. This site/thread seems to be more focused on that. Hopefully it will stay that way.

414 Water Street - My floor is about to turn Yellow!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; Jan 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:35 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

Lofty dreams for Railway building
JEN DEGREGORIO

Daily Record Business Writer
January 24, 2007 6:13 PM

After years of planning, developers have finally begun renovating Baltimore’s historic Railway Express building, a mixed-use project observers say will connect downtown with a burgeoning arts district just up the street. The 77,000-square-foot structure was built in 1929 as a mail depot for parcels arriving by train from Penn Station, which sits directly across Saint Paul Street from the former the U.S. Parcel Post Station. Baltimore City later bought the facility and used it as a warehouse until 2003 before selling it the next year to a team of developers called Railway Express LLC.

In a matter of days, the company will begin an $11 million conversion of the facility into 30 loft-style apartments with 32,000 square feet of commercial space. But some minor, interior construction has already begun, said Martin P. Azola, a partner in Railway Express LLC. “We’re off and running finally,” he said. “It’s a handsome structure, and when we’re done with it, it will very much complement the train station.”

Renovations of the concrete-and-brick revival-style building could be complete by mid-summer of this year. Commercial tenants have already signed onto the project, including Harrison Development LLC, Doracon LLC and Case[werks] LLC, a custom display case-maker relocating from North Charles Street. A coffee shop is also in the works. The project experienced a number of false starts over the years, said Azola, whose partners include Ronald Lipscomb, Edward Hord, Kenneth Banks, Michael Novak and Anthony Ambridge. At one point, the team had planned to use the structure for mainly commercial purposes but had to rethink the project when its major tenant, Carton Donofrio Partners, backed out of a deal.

“It was a real body blow at the time,” Azola said. “The Baltimore City commercial office market took a real nosedive around the same time.”

The company then briefly considered turning the structure into an academy for a program the Baltimore school system was contemplating but never realized. The team ultimately decided on a mixed-use project after witnessing new investments north of Penn Station. The city recently branded the area Station North Arts and Entertainment District, taking its name from an artists’ community that had flocked there to take advantage of cheap housing and abundant warehouse space.

“Three or four years ago this area was nothing but a big, vast wasteland,” Azola said. “But there are new things going on.”

Construction is nearly complete on 32 new townhouses on the 1700 block of North Calvert Street. The 1700 block of North Charles Street, meanwhile, has a thriving independent movie theater, The Charles, as well as the recently expanded eatery Sofi’s Crepes and the Everyman Theatre. The city has also chosen developers for an urban renewal project that would rehabilitate the abandoned Chesapeake Restaurant and adjacent property on North Charles Street.

“I do think it’s a real bridge between what’s happening in Mount Vernon and what’s happening on the proverbial ‘other side of the tracks,’” Stewart Watson, a sculptor who lives in Station North, said of the Railways Express building renovation. Azola expects the building to appeal to residents who want easy access to the train station. The proximity has already lured at least one commercial tenant.

“Our clientele comes from all over the Northeast corridor,” said Matt Malaquias, co-owner of Case[werks], which provides display furnishings for museums, universities and other users. “We like the fact that it’s in the Station North Arts District; we are a company that serves the museum and library communities, so for us it would be a good fit.”

One- and two-bedroom apartments will likely cost between $900 and $1,900 per month, Azola said. Wilson notes that most artists cannot afford such high prices, undercutting the city’s efforts to create a so-called “arts district.” “Speculators and developers, in my opinion, are both good and bad for the area,” Watson said.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; Jan 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:43 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

Mystery and Intrigue!

BDC goes behind closed doors to discuss 'large company'
Baltimore Business Journal - 11:34 AM EST Thursdayby Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The Baltimore Development Corp., at its third board meeting following a court requirement it open its doors to the public, spent the majority of its two-hour meeting Thursday morning behind closed doors. Board Chairman Arnold L. Williams, following the meeting, said the closed-door session concerned a significant number of jobs in Baltimore, but he would not say whether they would be generated by a company interested in moving into the city, moving out of Baltimore, or thinking about expanding its presence here. "It's really about increasing the number of jobs in Baltimore," Williams said.

The Maryland Court of Appeals ruled in November that the city's economic development arm must comply with the state's open meeting and record laws. The board held its first public meeting later that month.

In December, the board held a brief public session before recessing into executive session. Williams disclosed after the session ended that the board had voted to award a city redevelopment project in the Carroll Camden section of the city to a group of developers linked to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

At its meeting Thursday morning, the board spent about 30 minutes going over routine items, such as the minutes from its last meeting, before projects committee Chairwoman Deborah Hunt Devan asked for a closed-door session to talk about an unidentified company's finances. Devan said the company had approached the development corporation to discuss a proposal, and board members needed to talk in private about the financial implications of the deal.

That discussion lasted another 90 minutes, and the meeting had ended by the time board members opened the doors to the meeting room again. Details about the company or what it has asked the BDC to do were not disclosed. BDC President M.J. "Jay" Brodie, when asked whether the business was a private or publicly held company, would only say: "I don't mind saying it's a large company." Williams said the board members need to consider more aspects of the proposal, and the board could be ready to vote on the matter at its March 22 meeting.

"This was starting discussion about what's coming, and we're not prepared [to vote], we have to do some more work," he said.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 6:23 PM

^^^
So what's your guess? Seems to me, if a 'Large Company" was moving out, they wouldn't call it a large company. By saying this, it seems he is optimistic...

I'd put my money on someone big coming downtown...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 6:51 PM
Oh Say Can You See?

Quote:
^^^
So what's your guess? Seems to me, if a 'Large Company" was moving out, they wouldn't call it a large company. By saying this, it seems he is optimistic...

I'd put my money on someone big coming downtown...
I agree. I hope it is a new firm from outside the Baltimore area. My guess would be back office processing from a New York financial firm (insruance, banking, or stocks). Just a guess. Morgan Stanley and Marsh & McLennan are already here and companies like that have a pack mentality.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; Jan 25, 2007 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:18 PM

Baltimore City could take pressure off counties...a bit of a "duh" article.

http://www.examiner.com/a-526924~Bal...aide_says.html

I think certain neighborhoods (Like Pigtown, Greektown, etc) would be ideal, resonably affordable housing for many who will need access to Fort Meade and Aberdeen. I doubt that the downtown condos would be affordable for most coming though. Has anyone seen demographics of the BRAC people coming to MD?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:23 PM

Mercy's demolition permit hearing postponed
Originally published January 25, 2007
Maryland

Encouraged by recent negotiations, Baltimore preservationists have agreed to postpone a challenge of Mercy Medical Center's permit to demolish a row of historic downtown rowhomes.

Baltimore Heritage, after meeting with hospital representatives this week, decided yesterday to postpone a hearing set for Tuesday asking the city to reconsider Mercy's demolition permit.

The hearing has been rescheduled for Feb. 6.

"These meetings have been helpful," Mercy's attorney, David W. Kinkopf, wrote in a joint statement with Baltimore Heritage's attorney, John Denick. "The parties intend to continue their discussions."

The hospital would like to demolish a row of 1820s-era houses on St. Paul Place to make way for a $292 million expansion.

Preservationists say the homes, some of the oldest remaining downtown, have historic value and should be spared.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:51 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Do you guys think it might be M&T coming to Baltimore, maybe?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:54 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

wada, I thought you were on the 31st floor?
btw, love the picture.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Mercy's demolition permit hearing postponed
Originally published January 25, 2007
Maryland

Encouraged by recent negotiations, Baltimore preservationists have agreed to postpone a challenge of Mercy Medical Center's permit to demolish a row of historic downtown rowhomes.

Baltimore Heritage, after meeting with hospital representatives this week, decided yesterday to postpone a hearing set for Tuesday asking the city to reconsider Mercy's demolition permit.

The hearing has been rescheduled for Feb. 6.

"These meetings have been helpful," Mercy's attorney, David W. Kinkopf, wrote in a joint statement with Baltimore Heritage's attorney, John Denick. "The parties intend to continue their discussions."

The hospital would like to demolish a row of 1820s-era houses on St. Paul Place to make way for a $292 million expansion.

Preservationists say the homes, some of the oldest remaining downtown, have historic value and should be spared.
I think they should spare these houses. There is a lot of talk about demolishing other historic sites, so I think they should at least save these to keep some history in a city that is one of the oldest in the US. As for M&T coming to Charm City, it seems very much a possibility.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 11:14 AM

Also does anyone have any pics or info on 300 Pratt Street?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 11:31 AM
Oh Say Can You See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
wada, I thought you were on the 31st floor?
btw, love the picture.
Nope, i'm on the 30th. I started out on the 29th and then dropped $15,000 more to move 10 feet higher when they opened the 30th floor for sales. They had a marketing plan similar to the Ritz. Only certain floors were available for deposit at any given time.

I would have taken a unit on the 31st floor, but the balconies are not covered as you can see. The last time I lived in a high rise, I loved to sit on my balcony and watch thunderstorms. Can't do that when the rain is pounding on you and you're a wet lightening rod. The top floor is 31, so their balcony will cover my balcony. If you look at the photo, you will see part of a blue box on the roof. It is directly over my balcony which is 2 down. A balcony is very important to me. That is part of the reason I face north. None of the units on the top 3 floors of the southern side of the building have balconies. That was a very bad decision by the architect if you ask me.

BTW, I am very nervous now. With the mild weather we have had, I think they are ahead of schedule and I need to come up with a significant chunk of change to settle. I have both my Pennsylvania home and Mt. Vernon condo on the market at this point. One or the other better sell in the next several months or I will have to claim a street corner near the block to make some bucks! On second, thought, I'd probably have better luck near the National Federation of the Blind HQ's in South Baltimore. LOL

I don't think M&T is moving their HQ to Baltimore. A significant amount of that company's stock is owned by a Buffalo investor (that's where they are based). He has enough stock that he controls the board of directors. M&T is only a regional bank and is a prime candidate for acquisition in the next round of mega bank mergers. By the way, so is PNC which bought Merc.

I personally have been through way too many bank mergers. When I move to Baltimore, I am dumping M&T and switching to Harbor Bank. They are committed to remaining locally owned and Hale controls most of the stock. I'm sick of having to change my accont number and checks every other year.

The best thing that could happen is if some bio company moves into either Hopkins or the U of M tech park. That would be a real feather in our cap and produce many more benifits than a back office function. The question is, how much corporate welfare will what ever is coming extort from the city? I'm sure it will be a significant chunk of change.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; Jan 26, 2007 at 11:52 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations