HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:59 PM

Today's game: Forge FC at Wanderers FC, 1 p.m ET is LIVE streamed on CBCSports.ca, CBC Gem app and CBC Sports app.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 2:01 PM

^ Thanks for the info, I am probably going to tune in for a half-hour or so.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Great area with other sports venues. Proximity to downtown entertainment/bars/restaurants within walking distance makes this even more ideal.
It's the most ideal spot for a stadium. The supporters groups are able to do walks from local pubs to the stadium site prior to the match. Should be pretty good.

Edit:

via John Molinaro, Twitter

Last edited by JHikka; May 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm actually getting hopeful that this league will make a go of it. They seem to be doing a lot of things right.

Hopefully we can get up to 12 teams in the next few years with eastern and western divisions.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:32 PM

Watching with the one soccer. Trying the free month trial. 9.99 a month after. Stream is really good. Looks like a great crowd in Halifax. Awesome seeing this in cities other than the big three. Looking forward to Cavalry game at 1 as I can watch it now. It’s -1 and snowing right now though which sucks.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:58 PM

Watching via CBC Sports app/Chromecast while trotting on the treadmill... I concede I wouldn't know quality soccer if it bit me in the butt, but to my uneducated eyes it's pretty exciting...

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 6:49 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hopefully we can get up to 12 teams in the next few years with eastern and western divisions.
Goal is 16 teams by 2026. Supposed to be a couple more added next season. There are rumours that the expansion fee has increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Watching via CBC Sports app/Chromecast while trotting on the treadmill... I concede I wouldn't know quality soccer if it bit me in the butt, but to my uneducated eyes it's pretty exciting...
It's not the highest quality footy but the games are exciting and most of the players are Canadian so...

Looked like a good game in Halifax today!

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 7:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Goal is 16 teams by 2026. Supposed to be a couple more added next season. There are rumours that the expansion fee has increased.

It's not the highest quality footy but the games are exciting and most of the players are Canadian so...

Looked like a good game in Halifax today!
Great news, 16 teams by 2026 sounds nice and conservative. A fully mature and thriving national league in 2026, these guys are definitely doing things right! I can't wait to see teams in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ottawa to make the jump to CPL (probably in a season or so), London (ON), Quebec City, Saskatoon, etc! Barrie, Kelowna, St. John's?? Am I just dreaming

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 7:17 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
16 teams is ambitious. A league this size could potentially include a team in Moncton. We have a 10,000 seat stadium just waiting for a new tenant.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 7:27 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
16 teams is ambitious. A league this size could potentially include a team in Moncton. We have a 10,000 seat stadium just waiting for a new tenant.
Moncton would fit right in I like this idea of having local rivalries (rather than the trans-national city regions competing all the time), that's what makes leagues spark in all foreign markets! The Moncton-Halifax rivalry would be pretty fierce I can already feel the hate-on going on in Hamilton, and York9 and TFC seem ready for the challenge

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 7:32 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

P.S. Those photos from Halifax just blew my brains out, completely professional like any other mature team in the world. On day one, with so little promotion it's truly remarkable. The future looks good.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 8:32 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 8:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 9:18 PM
The New Republic

The Premier League seems to have good momentum out of the gate. Hopefully it can prosper.

Last edited by isaidso; May 28, 2019 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 9:31 PM

Cavalry game was entertaining, they were very dominating, especially for the first half. Weather was shit, snowing in second half, as per usual here in May. Stands were not completely full however but the atmosphere was still great. Cant wait to go in person on the 18th and hopefully to warmer weather. On reddit people were saying getting in to park was a nightmare, lineups for half hour to get in. Hope they can figure this out soon. There are buses from several pubs and locations though.

On a side not the streaming from onesoccer.ca is really good quality as is the presentation. Probably end up keeping it for the $10 a month to watch all the games.

Both Cavalry goals.

https://streamable.com/8010f

https://streamable.com/eg0zh

https://www.reddit.com/r/CavalryFC/c...in_their_home/

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:16 AM
ハルウララ

Exciting game in Winnipeg. Valour looked like the better team but Edmonton escape with the points. Think Valour have a lot of quality and were stifled by a good defensive effort in the second half. Really liked Son and Hoyle. Soria played really well too.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:05 PM

Does anyone know who the play-by-play announcer with the (British?) accent was that called the Halifax - Hamilton game on CBC Sports? EDIT: It's Gareth Hampshire. I believe the color commentator was Nova Scotian soccer player Mary-Beth Bowie.

CBC SPORTS FULL REPLAY Canadian Premier League: Forge FC at HFX Wanderers FC
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cpl...ream-1.5113489

I thought the play-by-play announcer did a great job, sounded very professional.

Last edited by q12; May 6, 2019 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Found the answer: Gareth Hampshire

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Cavalry game was entertaining, they were very dominating, especially for the first half. Weather was shit, snowing in second half, as per usual here in May. Stands were not completely full however but the atmosphere was still great. Cant wait to go in person on the 18th and hopefully to warmer weather. On reddit people were saying getting in to park was a nightmare, lineups for half hour to get in. Hope they can figure this out soon. There are buses from several pubs and locations though.
Sounds like access to the venue was a major issue before the game, people stuck in traffic for over an hour after the game started. You woulsd think they would be fine as Spruce Meadows hosts large events all the time...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada