HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Besides my room, what areas went for Ron Paul???
If it weren't for his stance on gays and abortion I'd be SOMEWHAT ok with him!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 5:14 PM

^I voted for Ron Paul.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
^I voted for Ron Paul.
He's a bigot as far as I'm concerned! Check his newsletters from the early 90's. He says it wasn't him. But, how could he allow something to be released from his office that he doesn't have control over!? They are blatantly bigoted.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:28 PM
Resu Deretsiger

i went for ron paul as well

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:23 PM

"There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid."
-John Fowles

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
"There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid."
-John Fowles

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell
GREAT QUOTES! THANK YOU! I have something new for my myspace...

I wish I could of changed my vote to Ron Paul, but I voted absentee for Romney...good call Twak!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:39 AM
Edge_City

Wow there's a lot of conservatives on this forum. I wanted to vote to Mit Romney but only because he would have been so easy to beat come November.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:15 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Yeah there are quite a few, but its not a great idea to talk about it on this over the top liberal forum. Since Paul wont be getting the nomination, McCain gets my vote, especially if its Hillary running. If it's Obama on the other hand, I might be inclined to vote for him.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Yeah there are quite a few, but its not a great idea to talk about it on this over the top liberal forum. Since Paul wont be getting the nomination, McCain gets my vote, especially if its Hillary running. If it's Obama on the other hand, I might be inclined to vote for him.
As I said before, Obama is my man. But, I'll vote for Hillary if it comes down to it!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:59 AM

Obama!!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf8278 View Post
Wow there's a lot of conservatives on this forum. I wanted to vote to Mit Romney but only because he would have been so easy to beat come November.
LOL! A lot of people agree with you, Repubs and Demos both. I am in the small minority who believe that Romney would do much better against Obama (I do not think Hillary will get the nomination) in the national debates than McCain. Obama is going to tear McCain up! McCain comes across as egotistical, untruthful and weak when challenged. Obama will be our next president, that is my prediction...
Another Point: I am sure some of you remember the study done about the Nixon Kennedy debates, whereas most of the radio listeners believed Nixon won the debate, but the Television viewers (most of them) believed Kennedy won the debate. Who would not argue that Kennedy is a much better speaker and more charismatic than Nixon, which of course these talents led to Kennedy's victory. Obama has much more character and charisma than McCain and is an excellent speaker. I am on the opposite side of the political spectrum from Obama (as you all well know) but I tip my hat to his public speaking. I see why he is liked by so many. I stand by my prediction...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:40 PM
Hindrance to Development

Personally, if the race is between Obama and McCain, I'll have a tough time making a choice. I voted for McCain in the 2000 primaries and for Obama this year. I think they're both smart guys who will do a good job.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:35 PM
Hindrance to Development

Went for a stroll down Twelfth Street today. Globe Mills is abuzz with workers putting stuff in--they're behind schedule, but seem to be trying to make up for lost time. The thrift shop that opened at 12th and D moved to a bigger location on 12th and C. The convenience store at the corner of 12th and D is now next door--I noticed that they don't sell liquor. The corner space is still papered over, but it seems like something is going on in there. 524 is pretty busy at lunchtime, they have one of my favorite deals for lunch ($3.00 plus tax gets you a big bowl of soup with chips & salsa.) A day spa and tattoo studio have moved in on the block between F&G.

Anyone catch the bicycle race? I took the train to avoid having to dodge cycles on my way to work but apparently it delayed the train too, I waited like half an hour for light rail but spent a while chatting with a police officer at the station--it seems there's a "fare blitz" going on, lots of police handing out tickets for folks hopping light rail without paying. Even in tough budget times, the city police are trying to focus on "broken windows" enforcement: keep neighborhoods looking good and pay attention to things like light rail jumpers and it makes neighborhoods less comfortable for criminals. Plus it generates a lot of fines for the city...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:00 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Went for a stroll down Twelfth Street today. Globe Mills is abuzz with workers putting stuff in--they're behind schedule, but seem to be trying to make up for lost time. The thrift shop that opened at 12th and D moved to a bigger location on 12th and C. The convenience store at the corner of 12th and D is now next door--I noticed that they don't sell liquor. The corner space is still papered over, but it seems like something is going on in there. 524 is pretty busy at lunchtime, they have one of my favorite deals for lunch ($3.00 plus tax gets you a big bowl of soup with chips & salsa.) A day spa and tattoo studio have moved in on the block between F&G.
Over the weekend I was walking around midtown/downtown with snfenoc
and we hoofed it over to the Globe Mills project. To be honest, that neighborhood
sucks. All you have to do is walk across the street and there's crap
everywhere. Across the street there is a fenced in corner of garbage that's
also homeless camp, at lease 3 or 4 people live there. If I were old and
retired and living at the Globe Mills I would never leave the grounds unless
I was shuttled away. Being old and feeble and walking down the street
within a few blocks of Globe Mills would make for an easy target.

I like the idea and concept of Globe Mills but the reality of the surrounding
neighborhood is that it needs a lot of work. Driving by in a car will not give
you a real idea of how sketchy the surrounding few blocks are... if you don't
believe me; park your car 5 blocks away and hike up to where Globe Mills is
to take a look... not what I expected. I can't believe the city gave subsidies for this
project. It's stucco exterior is already cracked and faded on several parts
of the new buildings.

Wberg, I was not directing my comments at you… you just happen to talk
about a project I had just seen up close and I wanted to speak my mind.

Last edited by innov8; Feb 20, 2008 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:41 AM
Hindrance to Development

innov8: I went for a STROLL. I walked there (from downtown) and walked back. I stopped in at the thrift store to shop for a bit, the convenience store for some gum, and at 524 for lunch. I also hiked around the other side of the railroad underpass to get some shots of the junkyyard and the railroad right-of-way (what can I say? I like urban grit.) On the way there, I hiked through Alkali Flat and Mansion Flat (to take some pretty-building photos), and up around North B Street past Goldie's.

The fenced-off corner on the southwest corner of 12th and C is filled with deconstruction salvage from the Globe Mills project: they are actually going to re-use a lot of the lumber and even some of the metal industrial fittings in the interior of the project. The wood is clear old-growth timber, the outer surface is charred a bit but the interior wood is as good as the day the building was built.

Plenty of old and feeble folks walk past Globe Mills every day: they're some of the seniors who stay at the shelters or camp out by the river because there isn't enough senior housing that someone on Social Security can afford. Most of them would be pretty glad to be able to sleep inside that building, rather than outside, in its shadow.

The neighborhood is still facing many challenges. But it's a heck of a lot nicer now than a decade ago (although I still miss the sub shop that was on the corner of 12th and C, where the storage pile is) and safer too. Part of what I saw today were positive signs like the opening of "first arriving" businesses in the neighborhood, and individual building remodels.

I didn't notice too much stucco damage, but I wasn't really looking for it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:58 PM
Kodachrome

I dig urban grit too and I agree that the neighborhood is way better than it
was, but this project/neighborhood just seems out of place for the kind of
people whom it will cater to. Those old feeble folk you see currently see
have a ruff look to them that won't make them as much of a target, I think
the people will be living in Globe Mills carry themselves and dress in a way
that will make them stand out more compared to the seniors who stay at
the shelters or camps near by.

I hope I'm totally wrong.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 7:15 PM
Kodachrome

Friday, February 29, 2008
Investor plans $150M land shopping spree
D.R. Stephens forms distressed-land fund to pick up bargains
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...03/story1.html

In 2003, San Francisco real estate investor Donald Stephens said he was finished buying land in Sacramento because prices had climbed too high and he was content to sell off his holdings.

"If the land market ever falls off in Sacramento, we'd buy more," he said.

Guess who's back?

D.R. Stephens & Co. is putting together a $150 million distressed-land fund that will concentrate primarily in and around Greater Sacramento, Stephens said this week. He runs the company with his son Lane, and they plan to partner with Wall Street backers rather than institutional investors. They're tracking possible deals through Sacramento brokers, Stephens said.

Stephens said he expects to have secured full funding by this summer but would not name his potential partners.

If the fundraising is successful, he won't be alone among those hoping to pick up land on the cheap from owners who ran into financial trouble.

Dave Jarrette, principal of appraisal firm Jarrette Co. LLC, said the talk of the industry has been the likelihood that deep-pocketed investors will pounce on wounded landholders in the down market.

Jim Radler, a senior marketing consultant with Park Place Partners Inc. in Roseville, said the Wall Street money already looking at Sacramento is likely to be "very aggressive" and that there has been some bidding among those seeking to buy land. Competition would be welcome among the developers and homebuilders looking to raise cash.

But questions remain about how many of these deals could happen in Sacramento.

Chris Ksidakis, owner of land brokerage The Gateway Co., said he doesn't believe we'll see the distressed-land sellers that others are predicting.

"Everybody says you're going to be able to steal land, but I haven't seen it happen yet," he said.

Jarrette noted that the region's largest landholders, such as Angelo K. Tsakopoulos' AKT Investments Inc., aren't distressed and won't be looking to sell.

D.R. Stephens' effort to form a Wall Street-backed fund seems like a departure for a company that has been primarily investing in industrial and research-and-development properties around the Bay Area, where it owns 5 million square feet. But since its founding in 1973, the company has become well-diversified through investments in offices, apartment buildings, condo conversions and land.

Last summer, an affiliate of the company, Stephens & Stephens LLC, created a joint venture with Inland Real Estate Group of Oak Brook, Ill., to buy $300 million in Bay Area industrial and R&D buildings over the next two to three years. It plans to maximize property values, then sell.

Donald Stephens is a lawyer and one of the founders of the Bank of San Francisco. He spent part of his youth in Sacramento, attending El Camino High School.

His company sold all of its Sacramento holdings during the boom, though one property "came back" to the company, Stephens said. The buyer in that case was Sacramento's troubled Reynen & Bardis Communities Inc., which had expected to close on the 140-acre property near Elverta that Stephens bought in 1989 for $30,000 an acre, or about $4.3 million.

Reynen & Bardis had optioned the land at $175,000 per acre, but the company ran into problems after over-extending itself during the housing boom and did not exercise its option to buy. Stephens said he's now seeking entitlements for that property.

As for the timing of his venture, Stephens said he's not concerned that others are already in the market.

"If they're smart, they're not ready to pull the trigger yet anyway," he said.

Last edited by innov8; Feb 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 7:39 PM
Edge_City

3030 T street

Anyone know the what the progress is of the 3030 T street condos? I saw a public notice sign there recently and wondered if they were about to begin developments??? Wburg I know you posted something about this on your blog and thought you might know some of the details.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 8:21 PM
Kodachrome

3030 T Street was approved by the Planning Commission on January 24th.
It appears that there are four entitlements the project needs to start building.

1. Environmental Determination CEAQ Section 15332.
2. Tentative Map to subdivide for condo purposes.
3. Special Permit to allow ownership housing in General Commercial zone.
4. Varence to allow new structure to exceed 35ft height requirment.

Last edited by innov8; Mar 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:03 PM
West bench livin'

FYI...

There is an "Application for Sale/Distribution of Alchohol" in the windows of the old Ralph's/Albertson's on Keifer and Old Placerville Road: Fresh & Easy is on its way!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area