HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:02 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
That's terrible...what's with some people?
Seriously. It baffles the mind.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Arrow

Does anyone know what was written? Purely out of curiosity and you don't have to spell it out word for word. Just wondering if it was simply random or if it was a specific statement?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:27 PM

Somewhat related, if you look at the Third and Shoal webcam you can watch somebody tag the lower part of the building near Shoal Creek last Saturday the 21st at 9PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:32 PM

That didn't take long

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
After being open one day the library gets tagged with a lot of offensive graffiti.

Well, that didn't take long at all........

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Does anyone know what was written? Purely out of curiosity and you don't have to spell it out word for word. Just wondering if it was simply random or if it was a specific statement?
"F*** love" with a heart symbol around it. Sounds like an attention getter or someone went threw a nasty breakup. Either way wasn't cool.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
"F*** love" with a heart symbol around it. Sounds like an attention getter or someone went threw a nasty breakup. Either way wasn't cool.
Unfortunately there has been a sharp spike in graffiti since Acavedo left for Houston. He did a great job in not only getting rid of graffiti but keeping it at a minimal. I noticed the increase within 2 weeks of his departure. You see it more often along the South First bridge pedestrian walkways and in areas of the city that hadn't had an issue before. It's not the artistic type, indeed seeing more gang signs and other more sinister types.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 12:08 AM

This was unexpected. Look at these ridiculous parking rates for the library. The comments for the article are funny.

Quote:
Here’s how the city council-approved rates will break down:

$0.00 0 up to 30 minutes
$3.00 31 minutes up to 1 hour
$5.00 Over 1 hour up to 2 hours
$7.00 Over 2 hours up to 7 hours
$9.00 Over 7 hours up to 10 hours
$15.00 Over 10 hours up to 12 hours
$30.00 over 12 hours
KXAN:
http://kxan.com/2017/11/02/austin-ce...g-come-monday/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:49 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Those are cheap rates...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Those are cheap rates...
Yes. If you know what book you want you want, you can run in and get it and run back to your car in less than 30 minutes and enjoy free parking.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:58 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Yes. If you know what book you want you want, you can run in and get it and run back to your car in less than 30 minutes and enjoy free parking.
Even over the free 30 minutes, those rates are far cheaper than most garages in downtowns. I pay $20 for 8 hours in downtown San Antonio, for instance, in the cheapest garage within a 10 minute walk from work.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

At first it seems outrageous, however if you consider that the garage could end up being full for hours at a time if it was cheaper, it makes sense to encourage turnover. One counter argument I would make to the guy that runs AustinAffordability is that many lower income residents will use mass transit to get to the library so it's not necessarily limiting people who want to go. There are also other parking options nearby that are cheaper. We need to consider these things if we are trying to reduce the dependence on cars.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:10 AM

Took the boys today and they had a great time. Spent an hour or so exploring the Shoal Creek water front before going to the library and then spent a couple hours there. Paid twice as much to park as I should have, since we parked in the main Seaholm garage instead of reading this thread.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
This was unexpected. Look at these ridiculous parking rates for the library. The comments for the article are funny.

KXAN:
http://kxan.com/2017/11/02/austin-ce...g-come-monday/
You should read The High Cost of Free Parking by Donald Shoup. Goes into the intricacies of appropriately pricing parking to always have a certain vacancy rate.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Or you can take the bus/train/Uber/Lyft/taxi/bike

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:42 PM
Meh

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:46 PM

This library has really turned out well, I like the design of it a lot.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 1:32 AM

I hope they fix the creaking stairs its so bad

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 8:46 PM

The Library has too many issues in my opinion. For 150million we got a pretty, but not well thought out building. Lake Flato is a bunch of hacks. For starters the library is one of the loudest buildings I've ever been in, in my whole entire life. The quietest sections are actually children's sections (even with children running laughing and playing) because they are walled off from the noisiest atrium on planet earth, with a non function clock art piece. They have literally made sure all the best views are blocked (west hills, south lake, east creek) and given you the greatest view of a power substation money can buy. It's actually quite annoying knowing that there are good views and they've blocked it with a wall or the stupid sheet metal to save on the smallest amount of energy. As well they made these "great" screened in porches. The only problem is they built them on the wrong side. Yes they are on the side with the lake but didn't stop for a second to think hmm what about all the loud traffic that flows down Caesar Chavez. So what they got was a bunch of empty porches where no one wants to sit because they are too loud.The whole building looks as if it will fall apart within 5yrs. Slowest elevators as well. It's actually quicker to take the stairs all the way up than wait for the elevator and take it. If you think for a second you can get in and out of the library in less than 30min you're outta your mind so expect to pay beacoup money on parking. It' I give it a 4 out of 10.

Last edited by austin242; Nov 19, 2017 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Add more

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
The Library has too many issues in my opinion. For 150million we got a pretty, but not well thought out building. Lake Flato is a bunch of hacks. For starters the library is one of the loudest buildings I've ever been in, in my whole entire life. The quietest sections are actually children's sections (even with children running laughing and playing) because they are walled off from the noisiest atrium on planet earth, with a non function clock art piece. They have literally made sure all the best views are blocked (west hills, south lake, east creek) and given you the greatest view of a power substation money can buy. It's actually quite annoying knowing that there are good views and they've blocked it with a wall or the stupid sheet metal to save on the smallest amount of energy. As well they made these "great" screened in porches. The only problem is they built them on the wrong side. Yes they are on the side with the lake but didn't stop for a second to think hmm what about all the loud traffic that flows down Caesar Chavez. So what they got was a bunch of empty porches where no one wants to sit because they are too loud.The whole building looks as if it will fall apart within 5yrs. Slowest elevators as well. It's actually quicker to take the stairs all the way up than wait for the elevator and take it. If you think for a second you can get in and out of the library in less than 30min you're outta your mind so expect to pay beacoup money on parking. It' I give it a 4 out of 10.
Really?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:06 AM

Sorry that I've been to the library more than enough times to get over it's grandeur and see it's flaws. At first I was overwhelmed and thought it was amazing but then I used it. As a user I have a totally different view than I did as just a spectator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin