HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
They did not seem to get trouble to lease space too, I`ll take a trip in Halifax next mouth, I gonna take a look at. I would like to where is located Halifax Shopping center... and is it the same quality than Mic mAc?

Halifax Shopping Centre just went through a major renovation although I like it the way it was before better I think. There's a few new stores in there such as the Banana Republic for example. Overall I like it better than the Mic Mac Mall.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:46 AM
Nashwaaksissy

It's not like Dartmouth Crossing hasn't caused casualties elsewhere. Penhorn Mall anyone?

Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton, Halifax and Sydney *all* have large new shopping centres under development/construction. Can we just leave it at that?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Halifax Shopping Centre just went through a major renovation although I like it the way it was before better I think. There's a few new stores in there such as the Banana Republic for example. Overall I like it better than the Mic Mac Mall.
Thanks you and is it close to the Downtown area ?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
It's not like Dartmouth Crossing hasn't caused casualties elsewhere. Penhorn Mall anyone?

Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton, Halifax and Sydney *all* have large new shopping centres under development/construction. Can we just leave it at that?
Yeah, its always the same story anyway

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks you and is it close to the Downtown area ?
No its in the West end area just off Mumford Rd. Heres a Google Earth image of where it is located.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, its always the same story anyway
True that

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
No its in the West end area just off Mumford Rd. Heres a Google Earth image of where it is located.

Wow, Thanks you !!! Halifax really amaze me.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Aug 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:36 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
It was in the Acadie-Nouvelle newspaper, there is a need for Class A office in Moncton, plenty of tenants are looking for more spacious spaces.The best example of that is the new Blue Cross building is already full.

I really like the fact it could be the higher tower in Moncton, maybe in NB.

We will see... this company is really proactive, in financial health, really less conservative than Moncton City Council.
Sweet! Hope the city will go along with it!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:28 PM

I think Dartmouth Crossing is the stupidist development going.
What a colossal waste of land, not to mention enviro. degradation. All you see in the news is how environmentally responsible the developers were---bull s--t!
I mean this development is Bayer's Lake all over again, and everyone knows what a mess Bayer's is. I drive by on the way to and from Saint John and consider this development an eye-sore. I hope this infatuation with big-box shopping eventually ends, but then again I guess Moncton would be screwed. All this happening while we talk of revitalizing our downtown cores, which continue to slowly fade.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 3:06 PM

Metro leaders frustrated over convention centre
Lack of federal gov't interest in funding project has civic leaders rethinking approach

By Kate Wright
times & transcript staff
Published Monday September 3rd, 2007
Appeared on page A8

OTTAWA - Metro community leaders are growing frustrated with the lack of federal interest in building much-needed convention centre space in the growing city.

After years of thriving economic growth, the city is in desperate need of space to host conferences and conventions, but federal money hasn't been easy to come by for city councils in the past.

Last week, the city decided to move ahead with the project "" with or without a federal contribution.

Former Moncton mayor and Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Brian Murphy said the fight for a city convention centre has been "frustrating."

He said now that the city and the provincial governments are on board with moving forward on the project, the federal government is dragging its heels.

The federal Conservatives boast a $33-billion infrastructure fund, set to help municipalities across the country better their economic prosperity.

But the federal money has yet to be allocated and communities across the country have not been able to access it.

"We can say that this is a government of helping municipalities," said Murphy.

"No one can find a napkin to write an application for new infrastructure money. If you can't apply, there is no program."

The city is using the opportunity to take a step back and think strategically about its next step.

Toronto firm PKF Consulting has been hired at a cost of $55,000 to study the situation.

City spokesman Paul Thomson said the change in government at the federal level didn't help the project and the council had to start over in its funding request.

He said the city has tried a number of avenues to gain federal funds, including the Atlantic Canada Opportunity Agency and lobbying Infrastructure Minister Lawrence Cannon.

"We continue to make the ask and we will continue to make the request, to try to make a business case," he said. "We're focusing on the reality of trying to attract conventions here "" do we have the airport capability, to we have the bed room capability."

Cannon spokeswoman Natalie Sarafian said as soon as negotiations on the $33-billion infrastructure fund are complete, the federal government will be able to look at specific projects for funding.

Until then, cities will have to wait.

Sarafian would not say when negotiations were set to wrap up or how far along the department is in those negotiations.

She would not say whether the department had completed talks with the provincial government.

"I can't give a timeline "" negotiations are supposed to go through the summer," she said.

"I couldn't tell you. I don't know because I'm not part of the negotiations."

Sarafian would not say whether the Moncton convention centre project has been discussed.

The city of Fredericton is having similar problems with securing federal funds for a convention centre and also decided last week to go ahead with the project.

City councillors say they remain hopeful the federal government will contribute to the project.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Metro employers face major workers crunch
Stores, restaurants have trouble finding people to work later shifts

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Monday September 3rd, 2007
Appeared on page A3

Don't tell her boss, but Susan Smith will quit her job next week.

Susan (not her real name) has a better job waiting elsewhere and is building up the nerve to tell her fast-food employer that she's leaving. Quitting will take guts, she says, because her boss says if she loses one more night-shift employee, she might no longer be able to open during weekday evenings.

The phenomenon is already happening across Metro Moncton, with service industries that formerly operated all night or late into the evenings cutting back their hours -- not due to a lack of customers, but because of a lack of staff.

"It's not uncommon, and it's going to become more common," says Valerie Roy, CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce.

Roy has experienced it herself -- she's stepped out for an evening coffee or a bite to eat with friends, only to find the restaurant doors locked and the lights off.

"It's becoming more of a trend, especially in retail and in hospitality,"

Eric Pelletier, Enterprise Greater Moncton's manager of investment attraction and community relations, says the phenomenon is well known in the region.

"Part of it is because this region is heavily staffed in the service industry," Pelletier says.

"There are a lot of employers fighting for the same employees, or the same types of skill sets."

That means workers that formerly felt they must grab onto the first service-sector job they could find now can pick and choose -- particularly at this time of year when the traditionally youth-heavy sector sees many young people quitting to go back to school.

Stores, restaurants even call centres are not immune to the trend. Overnight positions are being hit particularly hard because most people want coveted daytime shifts, leaving 24/7 operators like gas stations, contact centres and convenience stores scrambling to put people behind their counters, if they can at all.

"Those employees exist," Pelletier says, "it's just that there's limited numbers of them."

An employer's options are limited. Company operators can increase pay rates, but they cannot do that if the operation is barely making money during the late hours. They can fish for workers in other demographics, such as retirees looking to supplement their pensions. They can poach from other employers, which they are already doing. Or they can increase benefits with perks like day care services, gym memberships, flexible hours and the traditional health and dental coverage in a bid to make their jobs as attractive as they can be to fussy job-seekers who now hold all, or most, of the cards.

"They have to deal with it," Roy says, citing a number of companies that have developed an "older worker strategy" to combat the dearth of younger people in what has been traditionally a young person's field.

It's not a crisis, most observers insist.

"In greater Moncton, our glass is still half full," Roy says.

"We are aware of it. There are people working on it within companies and we will be able to fulfill our labour needs."

Just like in commodities, Pelletier says, it's a case of supply and demand. When labour is in great demand, the cost of that labour will go up.

Companies suffering from this phenomenon contacted for this story declined to comment, with some citing concerns that they would seem to be in dire straits, or that their clients would stop coming for fear of bad service due to a lack of staff. Most said they were coping by either carefully managing what staff they now have or aggressively recruiting more, while two said they had slashed their late-night operating hours out of necessity.

The service-industry labour crunch is no secret in the industry, nor to anyone paying attention, one observer said.

"You only have to walk down Main Street or drive up Mountain Road and see all those restaurants or gas stations that have Now Hiring signs."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUB View Post
I think Dartmouth Crossing is the stupidist development going.
What a colossal waste of land, not to mention enviro. degradation. All you see in the news is how environmentally responsible the developers were---bull s--t!
I mean this development is Bayer's Lake all over again, and everyone knows what a mess Bayer's is. I drive by on the way to and from Saint John and consider this development an eye-sore. I hope this infatuation with big-box shopping eventually ends, but then again I guess Moncton would be screwed. All this happening while we talk of revitalizing our downtown cores, which continue to slowly fade.
Here, Here!

I agree 100%, I loathe these shopping centres, and to argue who has the bigger one is even more ridiculous considering they are all horrid developments that I'd rather see Saint John avoid entirely. Here we are getting new hotels in Saint John finally, and they are all in the East Side, well away from the Uptown core, I mean WHY? I realize there is a place for discount hotel chains, but we can't promote Uptown development AND urban sprawl at the same time, the city just isn't big enough to support both. East Point Shopping centre is a tens of millions of dollars project - imagine that much money going into Uptown! The sugar refinery, coast guard site, and more could all have been built or restored by now!
But I guess having Home Depot and Costco are more important to people these days than culture, the environment, walking/public transportation and architecture.
bleh.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:02 PM

New court takes first step
Long-awaited project begins today with request for expressions of interest from interested contractors

Times & Transcript STaff
Published Tuesday September 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

The development of several mega projects for downtown Metro Moncton takes a leap forward today as the first phase of the new justice complex gets underway.

The Times & Transcript has learned a request for expressions of interest from potential contractors will be issued today by the provincial government -- spurring movement on the long-awaited justice centre.

"This request is essentially what's called phase one of the project," said a government source. "So they're asking the private developers to come forward and demonstrate their expertise and experience, as well as their capacity to develop the project." Earlier this year, the Liberals announced they would seek a public/private partnership to build the justice centre.

The province is seeking a private developer to build, own, operate and lease the facility back to the province.

Interested contractors must submit their expressions of interest by Sept. 27. Shortly after, a second request will be made for proposals of interest from a shortlist of contractors.

"You evaluate the qualifications and then you evaluate the plan itself," said the source.

Construction could begin early in 2008 and the project is expected to be completed by 2009-2010.

The province is still open to building the new courthouse at the former Beaver Lumber property -- the site selected by the former Conservative provincial government.

However, contractors can also submit proposals for other acceptable, alternative, sites as long as they're located in the downtown.

"The developers can submit their proposals for the project based on the design that has been developed for the current site," said the source. "They can modify if they're proposing a second site, but there are specifications that need to be in there." The project, which Premier Shawn Graham has pegged at $47 million, will include 15 courtrooms, sheriff services, victim services, probation services, family support services, Crown prosecutors and a law library.

Supply and Services Minister Roly MacIntyre indicated earlier this summer that the province would also support non-government space in the building, as long as the tenants are somewhat connected to the field of justice.

Two developers who have already expressed interest in the project are Denis Losier of Assomption Vie and Dick Carpenter of Heritage Developments.

The move sets the stage for a trio of important projects slated for Metro Moncton that are vital for downtown development.

The former Beaver Lumber property has also been mentioned as a prime site to locate a state-of-the-art convention centre and entertainment centre, following the release of the province's gaming policy.

After years of waiting for a commitment from the federal government towards a convention centre, the City of Moncton has decided to spend $55,000 to a consulting group to study every option -- from dropping the idea of a convention centre to whether the project can move ahead without Ottawa.

Meanwhile, the release of the gambling policy has been delayed for more than a year.

In December, Graham said the release of the gaming policy "dovetails" into his commitment to a convention centre in Moncton.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Islanders take to Moncton ice
NHL team to hold training camp at Tim Hortons 4-Ice Centre from Sept. 14-23

Times & Transcript Staff
Published Tuesday September 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A4
Moncton is getting ready for major league hockey excitement, with the NHL's New York Islanders training camp set to begin on Sept. 14 at the Tim Hortons 4-Ice Centre.

The training camp's arrival was announced in Moncton in March by former Islanders goaltender-turned-general manager Garth Snow.

"For us, we loved our experience coming to Moncton last year and really that's what made us say 'You know what, why not have training camp here in Moncton,'" Snow said in March, referring to their pre-season game at the Coliseum last season against the Boston Bruins.

Warren Frizzell, general manager of the 4-Ice Centre, says he met with Snow in March, and believes while previous camps were "strictly business", the Islanders have every intention of integrating themselves into the community during their stay from Sept. 14-23.

"They are going to try to embrace the minor hockey kids as much as they can and they are going to get involved in the community much more than any other teams in the past," Frizzell said.

Last year, the Moncton Coliseum played host to an NHL mini-camp hosted by the Pittsburgh Penguins. The last full NHL training camp to be held in Moncton was held by the now-defunct Winnipeg Jets back in 1988.

Larry Haley is the chairman of the committee responsible for organizing the training camp, and says it is a great opportunity for all of Moncton, hockey fans or not.

"I think it keeps us in the major leagues. Again, compare what's going on in the city around us, I think it's great to have a full NHL roster coming in for their training camp," he said. "This is how they want to open their season. I think that's first-class."

Haley and the rest of the committee are in the process of organizing the camp and finalizing the schedule, but he says there will be a variety of off-ice activities set up for the team throughout the 10-day camp.

Included among those is a team breakfast, where Islanders alumni are expected to meet, eat and greet with the public. Among the former stars could be Mike Bossy, who Haley says is "reasonably confirmed" to being in attendance.

Haley is also in the process of trying to get Main Street closed down on Sept. 14 so they can "Introduce the Islanders" in a formal ceremony to drum up excitement downtown.

"I think the biggest thing is that we just welcome the Islanders," Haley said. "There are hockey teams and camps all over, why not make Moncton the best place to hold a hockey camp too, on top of concerts and all the other festivals. I think it fits right in."

The facilities are certainly adequate to house the camp, and the Islanders are expected to make use of at least three of the four ice surfaces to best maximize their time.

Haley says multiple rinks are one of the appeals of the 4-Ice Centre that other locations cannot offer.

"It's no different than minor hockey; you don't want people standing around. You want people moving in a hockey practice," he said.

Frizzell says the team coming to town has a lot to do with Islanders head coach Ted Nolan being very familiar with the area and its facilities.

Nolan was the head coach and director of hockey operations for the Moncton Wildcats during the 2005-06 season. He led them to a President's Cup as QMJHL champions and to a runner-up finish in the Memorial Cup, before accepting a job as head coach with the Islanders.

Now Nolan is set to return to Moncton, along with Islanders stars like Rick DiPietro, Jason Blake and Ryan Smyth.

In addition to frequent intersquad scrimmages, the Islanders will also play exhibition games against the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds and the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus, who finished first and second respectively in the 2007 CIS Championship.

"It's a wonderful opportunity for Monctonians because it will be the first and probably last time we'll see an NHL rookie squad be able to play against the Number 1 and Number 2 university squad in Canada," Frizzell said.

The game against UNB will be held Sept. 17 at the 4-Ice Centre, with the game against UdeM on Sept. 20 at the Coliseum.

Tickets will cost $10 with special rates for students and family packs.

Tickets will be available at Coliseum and are expected to go on sale soon.

The Islanders will also play host to the Montreal Canadiens in an NHL preseason game on Sept. 19 at the Coliseum.

Tickets are still available and can be purchased at the Coliseum box office.

More details and a full schedule of events for the training camp are expected to be released in the upcoming week.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 8:03 PM

Dp

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 8:06 PM

Supply and Services / Justice
Province issues request for expressions of interest on Moncton courthouse (07/09/04)

NB 1095

Sept. 4, 2007

MONCTON (CNB) - The Government of New Brunswick has issued a request for expressions of interest from the private sector for the development of the new Moncton courthouse, Supply and Services Minister Roly MacIntyre announced today.

"This request for expressions of interest represents phase one of a two-stage proposal process," MacIntyre said. "We are asking private developers to come forward and demonstrate their expertise and experience as well as capacity to develop this project. They must be able to construct, finance, operate and maintain the new justice complex. They will also be asked to identify their proposed site for the new building and complementary space."

The approach the province is using is for a private developer to build, own and operate and then lease the facility back to the province. The facility must accommodate the government's courthouse requirements and appropriate non-government space.

MacIntyre said government is open to proposals to build the new courthouse at the former Beaver Lumber property in downtown Moncton, or at other acceptable alternative sites located within the city's downtown core. Interested developers can submit their proposals for the project based on the design that has been developed for the current site, or they have the option to propose moving the courthouse and, modifying the design, to suit another acceptable downtown location.

The request for expressions of interest is being advertised on the New Brunswick Opportunities Network (NBON) and in provincial newspapers. Submissions will be received by Supply and Services until 2 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27. These will be evaluated by the department before a second-stage request for proposals is issued this fall to selected proponents for construction of the new courthouse at approved sites. Only those proponents who have been qualified under the expressions of interest will be invited to proceed to the second phase.

The new state of the art courthouse will house 15 courtrooms and court staff as well as Sheriff Services; Victim Services; Probation Services; Family Support Services including mediation; Crown prosecutors and a law library. It is expected to be under construction in the spring of 2008 with completion planned for 2009-2010.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 2:32 PM

Site of new Moncton courthouse not settled
Province now accepting expressions of interest for downtown project

HELPBy MARY MOSZYNSKI
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Wednesday September 5th, 2007
Appeared on page A10

Although it's not yet known exactly where Moncton's new justice complex will be built, one thing's for certain -- it's a downtown project.

The call for expressions of interest -- that will determine a contractor's ability to carry out such a significant project -- sets out specific parameters on where the complex must be built.

The provincial government is still open to building the project on the former Beaver Lumber site, said Supply and Services Minister Roly MacIntyre.

But developers can suggest an alternative site in the downtown.

"We want to use it for downtown development," he said.

The building must be located on land that has significant frontage on Main Street, between Vaughan Harvey Boulevard and Hall's Creek, or on land within the area bounded by Main Street, Assomption Boulevard and Lutz Street.

"We felt we needed to tell potential developers what boundaries they needed to work in and what we've given them is a reasonably broad boundary, but it has to be in the downtown core and that's something everybody agreed on," said MacIntyre.

Earlier this year, the Liberals announced they would seek a public/private partnership to build the justice centre.

The province is seeking a private developer to build, own, operate and lease the facility back to the province.

Interested contractors must submit their expressions of interest by Sept. 27.

"It will give developers a chance to look at the plans, decide if they want to be part of the process," he said.

Shortly after, a second request will be made for proposals of interest from a shortlist of contractors.

The $47 million justice complex is a significant project for downtown Moncton.

It could also set in motion two other projects for the downtown, including a convention centre and an entertainment/gaming centre.

The justice centre will include 15 courtrooms, sheriff services, victim services, probation services, family support services, Crown prosecutors and a law library.

The province is also asking developers for non-government space in the building, as long as the tenants are somehow connected to the field of justice.

"We are saying that we want at least 10 per cent of the space to be available for other offices," said MacIntyre. "Part of the process is to try and generate some development in downtown Moncton."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 5:08 PM

New Moncton courthouse finally guaranteed

MONCTON, NB - The long awaited arrival of a new courthouse in Downtown Moncton is getting a lot closer.

Supply and Services Minister Roly MacIntyre made the announcement today saying the provincial government is going ahead with its plan to build a new courthouse in Downtown Moncton.

The exact location has yet to be determined but he emphasizes it will be downtown.

MacIntyre said its finally guaranteed and a tender could be selected in a couple of months, with construction starting early spring of next year, with an expected completion date of 2009-2010.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:52 AM

BMW-Mini store set for Moncton

Lounsbury Company Limited has been chosen to own and operate the new MINI and BMW retail outlet in Moncton, New Brunswick. Ed McNally, vice-president of Lounsbury Company Limited, states, “BMW Group Canada has a fantastic retailer network and we are honoured to be the newest edition to the BMW Group retail family.” Regarding the new retailer, Lindsay Duffield, President and CEO of BMW Group Canada, states, “We are delighted to partner with Lounsbury, and are confident they will represent BMW and Mini well…We look forward to bringing our product line-up to New Brunswick and to serving new and existing customers in this region.”

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 12:01 PM

New construction worth $96M so far
Moncton on track for all-time record year for development; August building permits up 79% over same month last year

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Tuesday September 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

The value of building permits issued by the City of Moncton in August soared 79 per cent compared to the same month last year.
Advertisement

It's part of what is shaping up to be an all-time record year for construction activity in Moncton, says Kevin Silliker, business development officer for the City of Moncton.

"Through the second quarter and into the third quarter, 2007 has been a banner year for builders and developers," Silliker says.

"These numbers reflect a solid and diversified economy, as well as strong consumer confidence."

Last month the city issued 121 building permit, valued at more than $21 million. In August of last year, they issued permits valued at $11.9 million.

So far this year, the city has issued 816 permits valued at more than $96 million.

The value of residential permits rose by 16 per cent last month over the previous August as well, to 94 units from 81. The total value of residential construction permits topped $7 million last month and brings the year-to-date total value of residential permits to almost $45 million.

Twenty commercial and industrial building permits totalling more than $10 million were issued as well, bringing the year-to-date figure for commercial and industrial permits to almost $42 million, an increase of 85 per cent over the same time span last year.

Highlights of last month's permits include one for the construction of a 124-room Hampton Inn and Suites at 700 Mapleton Road, valued at almost $7 million.

Construction of a two-storey special-care home at 1031 Salisbury Road is valued at $3.3 million.

Also, a permit valued at $1.2 million will allow the construction of a two-storey addition to the building at 100 Westmorland St.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Work on new blvd. continues

Times & Transcript staff
Published Tuesday September 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A7

Work continues on Riverview's Gunningsville Boulevard, linking the Gunningsville Bridge to Findlay Boulevard, but don't expect an early opening, Mayor Clarence Sweetland said last night.
Advertisement

Street lights to be installed along the two-lane road are expected to arrive by the end of the month but will still require time to install and there is still work to be done at the Pine Glen Road intersection, he said.

The road will likely open in late November or early December.

The town approved a bid from Roadway Systems for lighting along Pinewood at a cost of just under $67,900, the lower or two bids. The town had set aside $70,000 for the project.

Sweetland noted that the town has undertaken considerable work replacing water mains in several areas including Trites Road. The money comes from the town's gas-tax rebate of more than $300,000.

Town parks and recreation officials will examine other measures to help protect against vandalism after someone smashed all the lights at the bandstand over the weekend.

Two people were spotted by a security camera before it apparently malfunctioned, said a department spokesman.

There is a curfew but it is difficult to enforce, said a Codiac Regional RCMP spokesman at the meeting, prompting councillor Sherry Wilson to quip that youths shouldn't be out around town at 3 a.m.

Town council approved a request from Trinity United Church on Old Coach Road to hold its annual Fall Fun Day parade Sept. 22 beginning at 10 a.m. the Gunningsville Tennis Court on Old Coach Road to the church at 85 Old Coach Rd. to launch the day's festivities.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 5:27 PM

Moncton to host 2009 World Men's Curling Championship

September 11, 2007 - 10:57 am
By: Rebecca Davis, News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB-It's official, Moncton will host the 2009 Ford World Men's Curling Championship.

The event will be held from April 4th to the 12th in 2009 at the Moncton Coliseum.

It will also be the final championship of the season for Member Associations of the World Curling Federation to gain points to qualify countries for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Al Forsyth is the President of the Canadian Curling Association, and says he's not surprised that the Hub City was picked for the 2009 worlds.

He says to sum it up, the Hub City has good, down east entertainment and hospitality.

When the event is held it will also mark the 50th anniversary of the championship.

This will be the third time that New Brunswick has hosted it, and the 19th time for Canada.

Tickets are expected to go on sale in February.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 1:53 PM

Scaffolding won't come off federal building until 2009
Expert to begin survey of building's repair needs soon

Times & Transcript STaff
Published Wednesday September 12th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

OTTAWA - Metro Monctonians will have to get used to the scaffolding and construction fencing surrounding the federal building at Main and Highfield Streets -- it's going to be there until at least 2009.

A spokesman for Public Works and Government Services said despite knowing about the need for repairs on the decaying structure since 2004, it will be years before the department is in a position to fix the problem.

"That scaffolding is going to be there for awhile," spokesman Rory Matchette said yesterday. During a routine building condition report in October, 2004, public works was told an inspection of the building's mortar was immediately needed.

The review also suggested that the building's limestone exterior appeared to be deteriorating and in need of major repair. A piece of the building's limestone actually fell off in January, 2005.

Despite the numerous warning signs over the years, public works has failed to move quickly on the renovation. Instead, the department has opted to erect scaffolding and fencing to protect pedestrians walking down the busy end of Main Street from falling limestone.

At one of the busier intersections in the downtown core, the scaffolding and fencing around the building has become a nuisance for pedestrians and an "eye sore" for the community, Downtown Moncton Inc.'s Daniel Allain said.

He believes the city's downtown cannot continue to attract new companies until the historical structure is cleaned up.

"We have to keep that architecture -- it's a great building for downtown in terms of historical value and we have to keep it as it was before," he said. "We realize it has to go through due process, but it's been years now. Give us a plan."

Matchette said the department plans to hire a masonry expert by month's end. That person will inspect the building's exterior and determine the cause of the limestone's deterioration. He said he expects the inspection to take until next May, when the department will review the report over the summer.

Then, the department must determine a next course of action by designing a document and sending it to tender.

Since the extent of the building's damage isn't known, it will likely be some time before repair work can begin.

Matchette maintains that the department conducts bi-annual scaling on the building and physically checks the structure for bits of loose limestone to protect pedestrians. He wouldn't say how much the department is anticipating the overhaul of the structure's exterior will cost.

With Crombie Properties looking to expand their Highfield Square operations and with significant road work reshaping the city's expanding downtown core, Allain said now is the time for investment in the structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces