HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:32 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I have said this before, but put me on the list of those who think that cars should NOT be on the Alexandra Bridge. There are few origin/destination pairs that couldn't be accomodated by one of the other central bridges without a minor detour in a car.

I do like the idea of having two levels for active transportation, but I would glass in the lower level to provide protection during inclemant weather, making it more useable all year round (it doesn't need to be heated, just protection from the wind, rain and snow).
Considerations for a Gatineau tram loop and ongoing maintenance aside, I would just leave this bridge as it is for active transportation and build another bridge in the east for trucks and thinning down the mess of King Edward. I feel like that is a much bigger priority than worrying about a bridge that carries 7% of interprovincial traffic(on a bridge that is out half the time mind you).

How close are we to this thing falling in the water with only people and cyclists walking across it?

I'm also pretty attached to the aesthetics of this bridge. I can't not feel that way.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Considerations for a Gatineau tram loop and ongoing maintenance aside, I would just leave this bridge as it is for active transportation and build another bridge in the east for trucks and thinning down the mess of King Edward. I feel like that is a much bigger priority than worrying about a bridge that carries 7% of interprovincial traffic(on a bridge that is out half the time mind you).

How close are we to this thing falling in the water with only people and cyclists walking across it?

I'm also pretty attached to the aesthetics of this bridge. I can't not feel that way.
If it were possible to keep the existing Alexandra bridge for active transportation that would also be my preference as well; even if only for the next couple decades. I have been told on this forum that isn't feasible though.

If it were feasible, the tram could run on the MC bridge (reducing it to 4 vehicle lanes), especially if a bridge were built in the east end to releave some of the pressure on it. Not as good as the Alexandra bridge, but not horrible either.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 6:37 PM

Current state of affairs

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:04 PM

There was a presentation at the NCC yesterday. Highlights are that it will be built for cars, with conversion to accommodate the STO tramway (and removing cars) in the future. we'll get concept designs in the Fall.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There was a presentation at the NCC yesterday. Highlights are that it will be built for cars, with conversion to accommodate the STO tramway (and removing cars) in the future. we'll get concept designs in the Fall.
This seems like a total fudge. It will be cars forever. I'm the resident pro-car guy and even I think that seems crazy. There is no plan for the Tram to use that route is there? How much extra will we spend to accomadate future conversion?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I'm the resident pro-car guy and even I think that seems crazy.
Glad you know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
This seems like a total fudge. It will be cars forever. I'm the resident pro-car guy and even I think that seems crazy. There is no plan for the Tram to use that route is there? How much extra will we spend to accomadate future conversion?
So the STO's plan stops at Elgin, but the NCC and Feds do want it to loop around through the Market and across the Alexandra Bridge and down Laurier (Hull) to meet up with the "original" tram at Laurier (Hull) and the Portage Bridge. The City and STO have expressed support, but at this time, they just want to get the initial phase off the ground.

If the Feds eventually want the loop, they'll have to fund it.

The funds to study the Ottawa side aren't committed yet. I'm hoping that's because they want to expand the score to include the entire loop. But I doubt it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:19 PM

Presentation from the Feds to Gatineau City Council did not impress.

Pont Alexandra: le fédéral trébuche devant le conseil municipal de Gatineau
Par Mathieu BĂ©langer, Le Droit
2 juillet 2024 Ă  15h56

Si le gouvernement fédéral avait comme objectif de profiter du comité plénier de mardi matin pour convaincre le conseil municipal de Gatineau de la nécessité de remplacer le pont Alexandra d’ici 2032, c’est un échec retentissant. «La nécessité de le remplacer n’est pas démontrée», a tranché la mairesse Maude Marquis-Bissonnette, au terme d’un exercice gênant par moment.

--SNIP--

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...GLLK2FFCNOFIY/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 10:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Nice touch for the feds to send a rep who doesn't speak French to present a bridge replacement project to a city located in Québec!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

And to think that SSP still dreams of a federal district where Ottawa is wrested away from Ontario and Gatineau is wrested away from Quebec, or a unified interprovincial transit system!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice touch for the feds to send a rep who doesn't speak French to present a bridge replacement project to a city located in Québec!
Yeah, that's quite the miss-step.

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Heritage advocates urge preservation of Alexandra Bridge
Experts and consultants from Public Services and Procurement Canada and the National Capital Commission have briefed members of Ottawa's built heritage committee about their plans for the steel truss bridge that opened in 1901.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jul 09, 2024 • Last updated 3 hours ago • 3 minute read

Keeping the aging Alexandra Bridge as an active transportation route for just pedestrians and cyclists isn’t viable given the poor state of the 123-year-old structure, the federal government says.

Experts and consultants from Public Services and Procurement Canada and the National Capital Commission briefed members of Ottawa’s built heritage committee on Tuesday about their plans for the steel truss bridge that opened in 1901.

The heritage committee has no say over what happens to the bridge, but that didn’t mean its members — and the federal delegation — didn’t receive an earful from history buffs, active transportation advocates and a “bridge nerd” about why the Alexandra should be saved.

The Alexandra carries 10 per cent of the daily vehicle traffic between Ottawa and Gatineau, according to PSPC, but Leslie Maitland of Heritage Ottawa says it also carries 40 per cent of the interprovincial biking and walking traffic.

“That is a significant number of people who use that bridge for active transportation,” Maitland said.

“There is already a willing clientele for a bridge for active transportation,” she said, pointing to the success of the Chief William Commanda Bridge, the former rail crossing opened last summer by the City of Ottawa for active transportation.

Maitland said she worried the graceful, historic Alexandra Bridge would be replaced with a run-of-the-mill highway bridge.

“Canadians don’t care about bridges in Ottawa,” she said. “I fear the bridge will be torn down and nothing will replace it. Or we’ll get a not very attractive flat top as just the basic minimum.”

John Zvonar, a landscape architect, cited other historic bridges such as the wooden Kinsol Trestle on Vancouver Island and the Kettle Valley rail bridge in the Okanagan Valley as examples of old bridges restored and repurposed for active transportation. (An appreciative deputy-chair Stéphanie Plante dubbed Zvonar a “bridge nerd” after his presentation.)

But PSPC said it had hired a consultant in 2022 to look at whether the bridge’s life could be extended for another 75 years, even if cars and trucks were taken off it. The answer was “no.”

“The conclusion of the report was that no matter what is put on the bridge, whether it’s vehicles or active transportation only, you come to the same conclusion: that the bridge needs to be replaced,” said Paul Lebrun, chief engineer for PSPC.

Corrosion, mainly from road salt, has taken a toll over the years, while other elements of the bridge have buckled and bent. Numerous refits have kept the bridge safe, but are no longer economical, PSPC says.

The new bridge will be wider and will have separate channels for both bikes and pedestrians. It will incorporate rest points were cyclists and walkers can stop to take in the views, and it will offer improved access to the river shoreline below.

It also promises to “pay careful attention to the history and unique setting of the existing Alexandra Bridge” and to “preserve and commemorate” its legacy. A heritage impact analysis of the bridge began in 2023 to define its “character defining attributes” and cultural significance so that the new design could incorporate those attributes.

The bridge is in the planning design stage with design options expected to be presented in October. Demolition of the old bridge is expected to begin in 2028 and a new bridge is to be in place by 2032, according to the PSPC.

The Alexandra Bridge is one of three interprovincial crossings managed by PSPC, the others being the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge and the Chaudière Crossing.

Video Link

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...exandra-bridge

Old Posted Today, 1:23 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Has this been posted before? If so, here it is again:

Alexandra Bridge Replacement Project website
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-serv...t-project.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation