HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:48 PM

Wow, didn't realize the Pizza Hotline has a stone oven at WS. Might have to try it. Otherwise Pizza Hotline uses the roll through pizza ovens elsewhere, same as Za uses. However, looks like Za has a small roll through at this location. I'm not even sure they can fit 2 of the 10" pizzas side by side. Looked like they wer staggered a bit.

Anyways, I tried Za the other day. I thought it was good. Most of the staff was obviously brand new. But they had a good choice of cheeses (6 I think), same with sauces. Meats had a good selection. Overall it tasted good.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:48 PM

^ Thanks for the review... are they priced similarly?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
$9.95 at Za I believe.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:17 PM

^ Not bad... I'll definitely check it out.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:25 PM

Ya it was almost $11 after tax for just the pizza. I was full after eating, so was worth it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I have not tried it yet. Will stop in one of these days.

I remember when that place was a Chicken Delight. Very vaguely. I was maybe 3 or 4 years old.
Ha I ate there when it was called Kimberley Chicken. I don't recall it being a chicken delight. Brings back memories.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Ha I ate there when it was called Kimberley Chicken. I don't recall it being a chicken delight. Brings back memories.
Maybe it was just Kimberley Chicken. I was so young, may be misremembering. If that's a word. Sounds like something Trump or George W would use! But definitely used to go there.

I may be thinking of the Chicken Delight on Nairn too. Used to frequent that location as well. Chicken.. good.... mmmm.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:42 PM

Nevertheless it all tasted like chicken delight.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:13 PM

I got a Chicken Delight flyer in the mail yesterday... it was the saddest looking little thing. Haven't been there in decades, but it made me want to go and eat there out of pity for them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:

I can't recall exact prices between Za and Pizza Hotline WPG Square but they are very similar.

Two more comments on Pizza Hotline - most of their stores are converting to the stone fired ovens. Wpg Square is definitely not the only one. I don't got driving around the city checking out there locations but know there is at least one other stone fired location and think there are more. Typically it is newer/renovated locations. The other comment it currently only Wpg Square is running the build your own pizza menu.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I got a Chicken Delight flyer in the mail yesterday... it was the saddest looking little thing. Haven't been there in decades, but it made me want to go and eat there out of pity for them.
Made me laugh!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I can't recall exact prices between Za and Pizza Hotline WPG Square but they are very similar.

Two more comments on Pizza Hotline - most of their stores are converting to the stone fired ovens. Wpg Square is definitely not the only one. I don't got driving around the city checking out there locations but know there is at least one other stone fired location and think there are more. Typically it is newer/renovated locations. The other comment it currently only Wpg Square is running the build your own pizza menu.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Pizza Hotline has really stepped it up over the last number of years. Going from a crappy, discount pizza place, to a decent pizza place haha. They make an effort to use good products and expanded the menu a few years back. Still get cheap pizza too.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
That was FUNNY. Made me think the last time I ate there was at Inkster and McPhillips in the early 70s!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Yes, Kimberly Chicken and Pancake House to be precise.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Pizza Hotline has really stepped it up over the last number of years. Going from a crappy, discount pizza place, to a decent pizza place haha. They make an effort to use good products and expanded the menu a few years back. Still get cheap pizza too.
The veggies might be grade A but....meats @ P Hotline are low end.
Za Pizza uses somewhat better quality meats, but even better are found @ the independent pizza places.
It is usually worth it to pay the extra and receive fresh quality goods I have found. I am always disappointed when I try saving a few $ and get crappy food quality.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:00 AM

I grew up in EK and still live in the family house about a 2 minute drive from Kimberly and Gateway. I have only eaten in that building about two or three times through out all the different owners/formats.

Same as the KFC which down a block and half from me or the old Chicken Delight that was on Henderson north of McLeod,

For some reason those places don't come to mind when I go out for my Saturday dinner.

And sorry about spelling the name wrong in my original post. I'll blame my spell checker.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Chicken Delight was very good back in the 80s. Last time I was at one was 2006; awful.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The veggies might be grade A but....meats @ P Hotline are low end.
Za Pizza uses somewhat better quality meats, but even better are found @ the independent pizza places.
It is usually worth it to pay the extra and receive fresh quality goods I have found. I am always disappointed when I try saving a few $ and get crappy food quality.
Yup, pretty much my take on it. Don't want to spread nasty rumours. But when I worked at Hotline a decade or so ago, the chicken wings used to come from Brazil. Just like Chevy motors. Said so right on the box they came out of. That was prior to their efforts to upgrade quality and the expanded menu. So there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.
Yes, I believe they originated from the old Mr Bones. The rare times I order pizza at home, it will be from Dominos or Gondolas. But for a quick snack, both Hotline and Za are good.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:12 PM

You think Dominos is better than Hotline? To me, Dominos is the Perkins of pizza--so unjustifiably bad I don't understand how they exist.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan