HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 4:48 PM

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/dekal...nd-733524.html

Quote:
all mayors in the county except Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed have agreed that a regional transit system, governed and funded by more than just Fulton and DeKalb counties, needs to be in place before a 2012 referendum on a sales tax for transportation.
A part of me agrees with this if there is no regional transit system on the ballot or in place dekalb and fulton will pay 1 cent for marta and another cent for some projects that would tie into or rely on marta much like gct and cobb county transit. if theres a regional transit system on the ballot then dekalb and fulton would be paying an extra cent in hopes that the regional system would take over marta some day

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Why Kasim?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Why Kasim?
cause kasim was a big part in getting the initial legislation through state congress. and this refarendum goes in small part against that legislation

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:34 AM
Man of Many Statistics

I'm happy as long as they NEVER expand heavy rail. Not until we have an extra 20 billion floating around that we were just going toss out anyway.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic Observer View Post
http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/dekal...nd-733524.html

A part of me agrees with this if there is no regional transit system on the ballot or in place dekalb and fulton will pay 1 cent for marta and another cent for some projects that would tie into or rely on marta much like gct and cobb county transit. if theres a regional transit system on the ballot then dekalb and fulton would be paying an extra cent in hopes that the regional system would take over marta some day
I'm not really sure it means much that Mayor Kasim Reed wasn't apart of this. I think he might produce statements later as needed, but given his status of being the mayor of the central city I think he needs to step up to a position of regional leadership that smaller cities in Dekalb and Fulton don't need to worry about jeopardizing politically as much.

One thing people will need to realize about this tax is if it fails for whatever reason it will lead the region to getting less state funds from the DOT. This is in part a way for the legislature to shift state taxation to sales tax, which is generally seen more favorable in Republican circles. It could be good for the Atlanta region though, in that we don't have to share our revenues with the rest of the state (currently we only get back a little more than 2/3 of what we give to the state).

It is very important in the initial negotiations leaders throughout the region can come up with a proposal voters will pass, which probably means no one will end up being totally happy in the end.

I have posted more expanded thoughts on the matter of the North Fulton Cities (and now the Dekalb cities) complaining about Gwinnett and Cobb Counties on another similar forum. I am not going to reiterate my entire arguments as they were quite lengthy, but I do want to provide some food for thought as we move forward.

I also want people to keep in mind that I am a Gwinnett Co. resident who would like to see Gwinnett Co. join MARTA and pay extra, but I do believe there are some financing concerns that have not been addressed in the more recent attempts of MARTA to entice Gwinnettians into joining and so far haven't been addressed (nor ignored) in the Dekalb/Fulton cities' complaints.

First, we need to acknowledge different parts of the region have different needs. Most people in Gwinnett will not use a MARTA like system in Gwinnett Co. for local trips within the county. Most of our needs are commuter oriented or for developing denser corridors in areas such as the Gwinnett Village CID or the Gwinnett Place Mall area. We also are already self funding our own bus system, which admittedly is not very expansive, but it has weak ridership in the areas where it is most likely to have success.

The last time MARTA approached Gwinnett they showed a vision of extending the the Northeast line, but only for a few stations and no bus service. It seems to me we wouldn't get much for that 1% and that Dekalb and Fulton Countiesy would always have far more under those plans.

Besides having less rail access we also wouldn't have MARTA busing, nor do most Gwinnettians want huge amounts of busing. About half of MARTA's expenses are spent operating their buses. The buses are primarily used for local area routes and circulators to/from rail stations, so I don't think Gwinnett or Cobb County would use those services much nor should the be liable for helping to pay for them.

What I do think is every county needs to help out with are the core services that are truly regional in nature. Mostly being operating costs of MARTA rail in core locations.

I am ok with Gwinnett's share in the beginning being largely spent to make a quicker capital investment within Gwinnett, but over the long run I don't feel things would equal for the money put in.

I want to see a clear coherent plan that would outline where Gwinnett's revenue goes. What percentage is spent on operations for overlapping regional services. What percentage is spent on operations and development within Gwinnett. I also think we need to open ourselves to the idea that if Gwinnett were to pay 1% extra in sales tax we should be able to eventually afford the two recommended commuter rail lines and certain BRT services.

I guess the major point I am trying to make is if the Fulton and Dekalb cities are going to attack us for not being apart of the MARTA system, I feel they need to try harder to work out who pays for what and what services Gwinnett would get for that 1% in the long run.

It is hard to sell to 800,000 Gwinnettians to pay into a 1% sales tax and they only get a small single line of HRT that doesn't cover the whole county. It would be an easier sell to say within 25 years you would get a HRT/LRT corridor, two commuter lines, BRT busing in accordance with Concept 3, X% would be used to help fund overall -regional- operations, and Y% to be spent for the Gwinnett transit bus, but none would be used to pay for local bus service in Dekalb and Fulton and each county/service area should pay for their own local circulators through their own sales tax proceeds. (Fulton and Dekalb I think desires/needs a higher level of bussing, whereas Gwinnett and Cobb is more spread out/less dense and many parts of the county will be more drive two a commuter station)

So regional system, yes, but we also need to have an honest conversation about where the money goes. So far we have only been approached with an unsellable plan that is making most people more weary of joining MARTA rather than excited about MARTA.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:16 PM

Quote:
I'm happy as long as they NEVER expand heavy rail. Not until we have an extra 20 billion floating around that we were just going toss out anyway.
Commuter rail and light rail are more affordable options for a regional system, however there are still some short areas where heavy rail should expand here... deeper into North Fulton to Roswell/Alpharetta, to Norcross, south of the Airport into Clayton County, and possibly west to Fulton Industrial.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1986 View Post
Commuter rail and light rail are more affordable options for a regional system, however there are still some short areas where heavy rail should expand here... deeper into North Fulton to Roswell/Alpharetta, to Norcross, south of the Airport into Clayton County, and possibly west to Fulton Industrial.
I agree with this notion. I think it is important that HRT connects the major regional multi-modal points. With the Norcross extension the most expensive part, bridging over I-285 is already done, the only barrier is politically created as Gwinnett needs to help fund it in some way.

I am on the fence about a few things though.

I am impressed with LRT's ability to improve an area and provide good connections 5-10 miles away from destination centers.

I am concerned that it is considerably slower with more stations, so I am having a hard time being sold on some plans and am curious about alternative options.

For example rather than build a LRT line from Norcross to Cumberland, build the HRT extension from Midtown to Cumberland and create bridges that allow trains to pass from the Northeast line to the Northwest and north lines and the northwest and north lines. I was thinking, even though the route is less direct, it could still move people between Norcross and Cumberland much quicker and move people between Perimeter and Norcross fairly quickly, as well as connect Cobb to the Atlanta core better.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not sold on that either, but I have those questions popping up in my head that we might be missing an opportunity to make a fast/core system that would connect to LRT lines that would continue further away from destination centers.

Edit: Also, Gwinnett's commuter rail lines could intersect at a new Armour station and the HRT lines could radiate to Perimeter, Norcross, Cumberland, Midtown from here. You wouldn't even need to make the Gwinnett commuter rail make it all the way downtown for most commuters.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 12:32 AM
Man of Many Statistics

The Alpharetta line alone would cost six times as much as a light rail line with the best case scenario. No, I will not sacrifice 51 miles of light rail or 170 miles of commuter rail for a heavy rail stop in Alpharetta.

I just don't see the benefit.Then again if we have billions that we were going to throw away and already had a comprehensive transportation network then go for it. Money grows on trees and we have plenty of those.

I think the place to start would be commuter rail. A semi-comprehensive network would be cheap and palatable. Light rail should run between Doraville station and Cumberland and down to AS/Arts Center station. Any addition light rail should be built according to TOD demand. The Beltline should be fine, but I'm firmly against streetcars. A simple bus is at least as good as a streetcar unless someone can tell me a practical advantage.

Last edited by dante2308; Nov 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 2:15 PM

Quote:
. A simple bus is at least as good as a streetcar unless someone can tell me a practical advantage.
Because no tourist is stepping on a MARTA bus. It's not complicated.

As far as heavy rail, now is the perfect time to build out the system with unemployment so high. The Fed govt should spend more money (which IS created out of thin air) on improving subways. HSR is nice but it's not like I often need to get to Chattanooga really fast.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 2:55 PM

I think the most obvious place for heavy rail is the Clifton Corridor (Emory/CDC area). There's already been a lot of planning, and the right away already exists from Lindbergh almost all the way to Decatur. The area has over 100,000 jobs (more than Midtown and Buckhead combined), the rate of job growth is higher than any other activity center in the metro area, there is a large captive student population, over-burdened roads, a large number of government workers, and younger-leaning demographics. All of these speak to how well used a heavy rail line would be.

It's actually quite embarrassing that there's not already some type of rail transit in that area.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I think the most obvious place for heavy rail is the Clifton Corridor (Emory/CDC area). There's already been a lot of planning, and the right away already exists from Lindbergh almost all the way to Decatur. The area has over 100,000 jobs (more than Midtown and Buckhead combined), the rate of job growth is higher than any other activity center in the metro area, there is a large captive student population, over-burdened roads, a large number of government workers, and younger-leaning demographics. All of these speak to how well used a heavy rail line would be.

It's actually quite embarrassing that there's not already some type of rail transit in that area.
Well, there was a thing I guess that said it was off.

http://www.decaturmetro.com/2010/11/...catur+Metro%29

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:04 PM

Cybele, I'm not sure you even read any of the things you post.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:25 PM

Shiv,

Great point about Emory/CDC. It's floating off by itself.

Probably the biggest "hole" in our transportation network. It would cost a lot of money and be completely worth it to create a world-class city.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
The area has over 100,000 jobs (more than Midtown and Buckhead combined)
Where does this stat come from?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 10:21 PM

^I've seen it in some of ARC's numbers. It is a bit misleading, because the Clifton Corridor is a huge area of DeKalb. Still, Emory/CDC combined have about 25,000 employees and could easily be served by one or two stations.

Here's a source that shows some of the numbers (page 7 of the PDF):
http://preview.itsmarta.com/uploaded...uly%202009.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 1:47 AM

Quote:

I agree with the premise and it is in the planning works. However, I think Light rail will fit the corridor well. It is short, so the speed difference isn't very big. LRT would also be cheap enough to make it more flexible for hitting other nearby commercial centers if they choose that type of alignment.

The only complaint I have from the planning alignments. I think they need to go ahead and built the Armour MARTA station and run the line to there. If Cobb's LRT ever comes to Armour station there could potentially be a Emory/Cumberland route or a Beltline/Emory route in the future. If the tracks go to Lindbergh that option wouldn't be possible or as easy to construct. (I was hoping the long-term vision of Concept 3 plan would help planners think of these future/potential ideas, even if they aren't directly in a single projects plans)

(http://www.emoryvillage.org/pdfs/Com...CCAA_FINAL.pdf) You can see on this map where some of the LRT/HRT choices would intersect where the Armour station/beltline would initially.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:16 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Because no tourist is stepping on a MARTA bus. It's not complicated.

As far as heavy rail, now is the perfect time to build out the system with unemployment so high. The Fed govt should spend more money (which IS created out of thin air) on improving subways. HSR is nice but it's not like I often need to get to Chattanooga really fast.
Ponce is not the place one would expect a high volume of tourists, nor would building a streetcar generate 133 million in new tourism. As for heavy rail and unemployment, the point isn't to spend money on things that are overly expensive. If you have 100 dollars and you had to feed starving children, you don't start with the caviar and quail tongues.

There is never an excuse to buy something with no tangible benefit, even aesthetically to an alternative. None. Why on earth would you trade 60 miles of light rail for 10 miles of heavy rail?

As for Chattanooga, HSR wont be connecting Atlanta and that city anytime soon, but thousands of people do travel between the cities daily so I'm not quite sure if you are saying you have 2 hours you weren't using and wouldn't mind waiting around in a car for... because if so I suggest you walk instead of taking heavy rail. For the rest of us, time is money.

Last edited by dante2308; Nov 15, 2010 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:35 AM
Student

MARTA's been conducting Clifton Corridor studies for the past decade, but recently with the advancement of support for the Athens/Brain Train it would best provide direct access to Midtown & Downtown Atlanta and other universities and research institutions across the metro area.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jew4life4948 View Post
MARTA's been conducting Clifton Corridor studies for the past decade, but recently with the advancement of support for the Athens/Brain Train it would best provide direct access to Midtown & Downtown Atlanta and other universities and research institutions across the metro area.

Well.. The proposal for this is pretty old too. The state DOT originally came up with it in the mid 90s. As much as I am dying to see this (I live in Lilburn) no one wants to fund it yet.

It is also more of a peak time commuter line for people that live further away from the city, where as the Clifton corridor is more of an all day higher capacity transit. MARTA also has the funding to build the Clifton Corridor in the long run and it is in their taxing district.

As someone who lives along the commuter rail alignment... I can't help but to notice they don't even need to built all the way to downtown at first to make it useful to most commuters. If it intersects with a new Armour Marta station commuters could directly access Perimeter, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown easily though MARTA.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:50 AM
Man of Many Statistics

It connects Emory to railed transit, that's worth something. I'd like to see this built. Personally, I graduated, but it would have been interesting to be able to take a train to Athens for the weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta