HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattyCommittee View Post
If the Library DOESN"T relocate to the Cornwall Centre all parties involved with the City Administration and the RPL Board should be fired, as the only reason it wouldn't go there is to serve the special interests of a crony or donor.

Backfilling 180,000 SF in what is largely a dead mall that still also has vacancy from Sears departure would be absolutely an abomination of sound business and planning for the downtown core.

Timbo isn't there to use as a scape goat on this one.

The Mall isn't that big to begin with, without backfilling it immediately it will be a death knell to Downtown.
I reluctantly have to agree on this. It would be nice to have signature, stand-alone central library, but this alternative would save tens of millions that can be put into programs and services and/or reduce taxes. It also could save the Cornwall which we are unfortunately stuck with due to decisions take 45 years ago.

There is precedent on a smaller scale with the south library branch in the Southland mall.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I reluctantly have to agree on this. It would be nice to have signature, stand-alone central library, but this alternative would save tens of millions that can be put into programs and services and/or reduce taxes. It also could save the Cornwall which we are unfortunately stuck with due to decisions take 45 years ago.

There is precedent on a smaller scale with the south library branch in the Southland mall.
I wonder about the cost of demolishing and building on the existing site versus renovating the Cornwall space. I am not sure there is anything they can do for the exterior to make the building look architecturally significant (like say the Vancouver library).

On the other hand, maybe a modern library with lecture and a movie space is a good enough goal. I am torn on this one, I think the city needs a morale boost and a former department store isn't going to do it.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Street View Post
I wonder about the cost of demolishing and building on the existing site versus renovating the Cornwall space. I am not sure there is anything they can do for the exterior to make the building look architecturally significant (like say the Vancouver library).

On the other hand, maybe a modern library with lecture and a movie space is a good enough goal. I am torn on this one, I think the city needs a morale boost and a former department store isn't going to do it.
Would love them to tear down the facade and do an all glass exterior for a bright and warm library space.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Would love them to tear down the facade and do an all glass exterior for a bright and warm library space.
I'm not from Regina so I may not have the understanding of the situation but why isn't this the number one choice? Just renovate it into something noteworthy. I imagine with a full glass wall it could look something like the Millenium Library in Winnipeg which is a handsome library indeed.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:01 PM

Quote:

I think there's an opportunity here to have something that completes the Cornwall St vista from Victoria Park, and animates that segment of 11 Av a bit better. As is, the solid wall doesn't help all that much (photos from Google Maps):

I wonder if it's feasible to simply glass box that facade, which would bring in some much needed natural light into the existing space. Ever since the upper floor got converted to office space, there's much less natural light coming in via the skylights. A glassed reading space all along the 2nd floor along 11 Av would have great views of the Canada Life building and down the street.

Halifax library comes to mind, with a relatively simple flat glass front overlooking a plaza, and the floors inside connected with stairs and bridges criss crossing within (photos from https://www.architecturalrecord.com/...tral-library):

With lighting, a simple glass fronted box works well

The way the existing stone juts out over the entrance on 11 Av at Cornwall St might lend well to some staggering exactly like this

There's already a central open space for the escalators and where the central cashiers used to be, perhaps the floor could be cut away for more light from the skylights, and bridges added like this

And as less floor space is dedicated for book stacks, opening up the area makes sense

A reading area could run along 11 Av facing the Canada Life building and having a vista towards the old post office/city hall/Globe Theatre

Unlikely that the back of the space towards Sask Dr could be opened up for windows like along 11 Av, but that could serve as a performance area or film theatre like this

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:55 PM

Maybe to old Merchant's Bank/Transit Centre façade can incorporated as an homage to the original Carnegie Library on Lorne.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:

They want to double the size of the existing library. The current building has 72,000 square feet

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:02 PM

EOI on SaskTenders:

This Expression of Interest (EOI) is issued by the Regina Public Library (RPL) for the purposes
of assessing market interest in participating in the Central Library Project (the “Project”) and
gathering information about the marketplace in order to assist in the determination of a
future procurement. Respondents to this EOI are expected to be a company that will lead a
consortium to collectively respond to a future procurement. Individual service providers are
encouraged to collaborate with other consortium members to submit a single response with
one company listed as the Project lead.
The intention of this EOI is to identify potential Respondent(s) who are interested in
participating in this Project.
Additional Information
RPL is interested in procuring a private partner to design and construct/renovate a building
that would include the Project (Regina Public Library’s Central Library). Note that any other
tenants or occupants of the building would need to align with RPL’s values (e.g. value of
inclusion for all). The Project is to include between 100,000 and 155,000 square feet for the
library. The functional requirements of the library would need to be met, including specific
requirements for floor loads.
RPL will consider various deal structures, however RPL ownership of the library space is
preferred. RPL is open to a redevelopment of the existing Central Library site or a different
site located within the area defined in the EOI. Based on work done to date on the existing
facility, the building is end of life and that it would not be economically viable to renovate
the existing building.
RPL is open to various arrangements and opportunities for advancing this project.
Therefore, we ask Respondents to consider the following options including, but not limited
to:
• New construction in partnership with Respondent on RPL’s existing central location or
another location within the geographic area defined;
• Renovation of an existing building within the geographic area defined; or
• Purchase of land at another location within the geographic area defined, with
subsequent renovation of an existing building under a lease or purchase.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
I think there's an opportunity here to have something that completes the Cornwall St vista from Victoria Park, and animates that segment of 11 Av a bit better. As is, the solid wall doesn't help all that much (photos from Google Maps):

I wonder if it's feasible to simply glass box that facade, which would bring in some much needed natural light into the existing space. Ever since the upper floor got converted to office space, there's much less natural light coming in via the skylights. A glassed reading space all along the 2nd floor along 11 Av would have great views of the Canada Life building and down the street.

Halifax library comes to mind, with a relatively simple flat glass front overlooking a plaza, and the floors inside connected with stairs and bridges criss crossing within (photos from https://www.architecturalrecord.com/...tral-library):

With lighting, a simple glass fronted box works well

The way the existing stone juts out over the entrance on 11 Av at Cornwall St might lend well to some staggering exactly like this

There's already a central open space for the escalators and where the central cashiers used to be, perhaps the floor could be cut away for more light from the skylights, and bridges added like this

And as less floor space is dedicated for book stacks, opening up the area makes sense

A reading area could run along 11 Av facing the Canada Life building and having a vista towards the old post office/city hall/Globe Theatre

Unlikely that the back of the space towards Sask Dr could be opened up for windows like along 11 Av, but that could serve as a performance area or film theatre like this
That glass front looks amazing and would spruce up 11th Avenue and the streets between 11th Avenue and Victoria Park.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattyCommittee View Post
If the Library DOESN"T relocate to the Cornwall Centre all parties involved with the City Administration and the RPL Board should be fired, as the only reason it wouldn't go there is to serve the special interests of a crony or donor.
City Council, not the library or admin.

The final decision is 100% with city council.

We need to stop blaming others for the problems on council.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:37 AM

Yes, Regina needs a suburban style box. Library. That is absolutely hideous, Libraries are supposed to be showcases for the downtown not part of the mall building, What horrific idea but I guess it’ll fit in with the rest of the Downtown absolute nothing

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:38 AM

vBulletin Message
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Only unregistered users are denied access at times of high traffic. If you login you will not get this message.
Does anyone anyone else got this message when trying to sign in on skyscraper page

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:34 PM

Yes, almost every time that I visit the site. It's no big deal to sign in.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:00 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Yes, Regina needs a suburban style box. Library. That is absolutely hideous, Libraries are supposed to be showcases for the downtown not part of the mall building, What horrific idea but I guess it’ll fit in with the rest of the Downtown absolute nothing
They are showcases in cities with many times the population of Regina. We may be the capital of the province, but we are a very small center with a very small tax base to deal with things. This is an opportunity to use existing space and while I would rather the library build on their current site by Victoria Park, the park is not actually nice anymore.

I'd love a showcase library, but it's seriously not practicable for our demographics.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
So you think spending $200 million on some shiny new building that will just be a hangout for tweakers and the homeless is a good use of money in these times when a fraction can be spent on an existing building that is already in the right geographical area?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
So you think spending $200 million on some shiny new building that will just be a hangout for tweakers and the homeless is a good use of money in these times when a fraction can be spent on an existing building that is already in the right geographical area?
Exactly small town no vision Regina , every thing nice costs money , become the laughing stock even more of the country with your old bay box store

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Exactly small town no vision Regina , every thing nice costs money , become the laughing stock even more of the country with your old bay box store
You worded that answer strangely but I still want to know what benefit would overspending on a central public library bring Regina? No one moves here or starts a company here because of a shiny public library.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:32 PM

First of the big steel silos getting started at the Cargill plant. They start at the top and jack it up to add the next row of paneling. Rail car handling structures are starting to rise.

There is some work going on north of the plant on the opposite side of the road. A long section of land cleared and a bunch of culvert pipe on site. Not sure what it is, its not the plot of land with the straw pulp sign.

https://imgur.com/a/6pBZtHs

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Maybe to old Merchant's Bank/Transit Centre façade can incorporated as an homage to the original Carnegie Library on Lorne.
That's a great idea; or even use the actual remnants of the Carnegie Library that are currently in the Central Library (the pillar pieces strewn about in the courtyard and the cross piece that says 'Regina Public Library' in the foyer) to reconstruct the entrance. As the actual doorway to a glass box foyer/atrium space it could be an interesting composition.

Forgot to mention the reno and reclad of the Quebec City library as another example of a relatively straightforward revision of an existing space, looking to be about the same size of the The Bay space actually (image from the Canadian Library thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
They are showcases in cities with many times the population of Regina. We may be the capital of the province, but we are a very small center with a very small tax base to deal with things. This is an opportunity to use existing space and while I would rather the library build on their current site by Victoria Park, the park is not actually nice anymore.

I'd love a showcase library, but it's seriously not practicable for our demographics.
Agree that a showcase would be nice, and in keeping with the rest of Canadian peer cities (see the Canadian Library thread). Best of all would be to preserve and maintain the existing building - of course the land is already owned, and the 1960s modern architecture truly is an excellent example of the type. But if the existing is truly beyond repair, a reuse of The Bay space seems to be the next best and feasible thing, besides the benefit of ensuring yet another downtown space doesn't go vacant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
You worded that answer strangely but I still want to know what benefit would overspending on a central public library bring Regina? No one moves here or starts a company here because of a shiny public library.
"Nice things" is a big part of the quality of life, morale and self-image of the community though, which all contribute to the desirability of the place to live and stay. When the current Central Library opened it was itself a showcase of the style of the time, in keeping with how cities use libraries as core public amenities and aspirational features - but also "not a grandiose or imposing building... an economical but beautiful library... this is the absolute minimum requirement":

(images from https://friendsofrpl.ca/wp-content/u....-j.-mah-1.pdf)

Of course don't "overspend", but at the same time don't "underspend" either.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 8:13 PM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/nobody-wan...ebts-1.6898917
'Nobody wants to pay this money': City of Regina dipping into reserves to pay EDR, REAL CRA debts
This is a real mess who is in charge of this organization they should be sent to prison for stupidity

Last edited by The mayor; May 25, 2024 at 12:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan