HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 11:14 PM

A frozen yogurt place called The Parlour is opening at 611 North 4th between Magpies and B-Line. Based on the graphic design, my guess is that it's owned by the same people who own Magpies. Given the lack of quick dessert options on 4th and its proximity to The District, one would think this concept would work well.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
It's good that this is going to be renovated but where the heck does the university get funds for these projects?
The pac12 network and renegotiated contract with fox/espn will be very lucrative over the next 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
The pac12 network and renegotiated contract with fox/espn will be very lucrative over the next 10 years.
Private donations too. The athletic director is an excellent fundraiser.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:29 AM

I forgot about posting this but Reilly's plans for a beer garden behind their restaurant were approved at the end of November per Tucson Weekly.

Here's the PDF of the site plan: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/SIREPub/cach...2072556705.PDF

I really like the usage of the garage. This looks like it will be a pretty awesome place.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:52 PM

14-story student housing tower tops out
Inside Tucson Business

Level, a $25 million student housing development near the University of Arizona, has topped out at 14 stories high and is on schedule to open before the start of the 2013-2014 school year in August. The 300,000 square-foot project at 1020 N. Tyndall Ave., just south of Speedway, will house more than 550 students in 176 units.

Chicago-based Campus Acquisitions broke ground on the project in May. The upscale student complex will feature a rooftop pool, fitness center and tech-heavy study centers for students.

Rooms will have floor-to-ceiling windows, balconies, stainless steel appliances, quartz countertops, hardwood floors, modern furnishings and flat-screen TVs.

Campus Acquisitions purchased the approximately 0.7-acre site from the Marshall Foundation for $3.4 million.

While in escrow, the property was rezoned for mid-rise construction.

Next year, Campus Acquisitions plans to open a leasing office on University Boulevard.

Level is the first phase of Campus Acquisitions plans to redevelop the area west of the UA campus.

The second phase project will be a 13-story student housing tower at 1031 N. Park Ave. that will also feature ground floor retail space. Construction on that phase is planned to start early in 2013 and open in time for the fall 2014 semester.

UEB Builder, Scottsdale, is the general contractor for both projects.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:55 PM

Good to see that this apartment complex has been redeveloped. I've driven by it many times and it really was an eye-sore. My only concern is that the rates may be a little high.

One-time Ft. Lowell Rd. eyesore is blight no longer
Gabriela Rico Arizona Daily Star

A former north-side eyesore that drew the ire of neighbors and area businesses has gotten a face-lift.

Casa Presidio Apartment Homes, 2002 E. Fort Lowell Road, is now leasing one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments on the site of a once-boarded-up, affordable-housing complex that became a magnet for taggers and squatters.

Town West Design Development bought the vacant Vista Sierra Apartments last year after city and federal officials worked to remove the Section 8 requirement on the property, President Jim Horvath said.

"The city of Tucson and (Councilwoman) Karin Uhlich's office encouraged us to take a look at the property and the neighborhood because of the crime element being created there," he said.

Transforming the property, which was vacated in 2010, was no small task.

"We had to take the building down to the studs," Horvath said of the complex, which was built in the 1970s.

The two-story complex has 78 units, which have elevated ceilings on the first floor and vaulted ceilings on the second floor.

The floor plans were remodeled and individual air-conditioning units were installed, Horvath said.

Uhlich said her office was receiving weekly calls from residents, area business owners and even Fort Lowell Road commuters about the property when it was in disrepair.

"I'm so happy that a local developer took it over and transformed it from a blight to this beautiful property," she said.

Uhlich called herself an advocate for affordable housing, but said removing that restriction was necessary to get the property fixed up.

"We worked closely with former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and HUD to make sure that when the property went out for auction, it would be acquired and redeveloped," she said. "With the condition of this property, (affordable housing) restrictions would have meant it would have stayed vacant for years."

Aside from the remodeled units, Casa Presidio features a new pool, spa and fitness center.

Rents range from $735 for a one-bedroom to $1,485 for a two-bedroom unit with a den.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:10 AM

Progress photos - Chicago Store facade improvement

Building before work began (L), and progress as of December 6 (R)

Renderings of finished product
(photos: Tucson Sentinel; renderings: Eglin/Cohen Architects)

For accompanying article: http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/...estored-glitz/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:30 AM

I'm curious to see what the replacement glass tiles will look like where the semi hit the building.

Also, speaking of the facade improvement program, I wonder if the Pioneer Building is making any progress on their proposed plans.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I'm curious to see what the replacement glass tiles will look like where the semi hit the building.

Also, speaking of the facade improvement program, I wonder if the Pioneer Building is making any progress on their proposed plans.
What exactly is going to happen to the pioneer if it is given money to restore or remodel the look. The building looks nice as it is so I don't see the point of remodeling it. Are they going to make it look like it did when it was first built because that's not very good looking, nothing like the chase building . There are plenty of other buildings in downtown that could do with a good remodeling (city hall, and Pima federal building to name a few).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:47 PM

615 acres to cost $4M; uses to include fields, lake, retail
Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star

Pima County plans to spend about $4 million to buy the CalPortland gravel pit property along Interstate 10, near West Orange Grove Road, and turn it into a 600-acre park with a lake, soccer fields and shopping.

The Board of Supervisors is set to vote on the plan Tuesday.

Buying the 615 acres is the first step in the county's 20-year Corazón de los Tres Ríos del Norte project, said County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry.

The county has been in negotiations with California Portland Co. and CPC Southwest Materials Inc. on and off for 18 months, and the property has been on the market for a long time, Huckelberry said.

He said it's a unique property that would allow the county to do transportation, flood control, water resources, recreation and economic development projects at one site.

The money to buy the land would come from the Flood Control District, which had about $10 million in its budget for this purchase, Huckelberry said.

CalPortland would continue to mine sand and gravel on part of the property, including excavating the Sunset pit to the county's design.

The company would also keep operating its asphalt plant north of Orange Grove for now, but it would eventually have to move the plant to a site near the Camino del Cerro landfill, he said.

Supervisor Sharon Bronson, who represents the area, said she supports the planned purchase.

"It moves us forward in building our community, in defining us as a special place," she said.

More parks and recreation opportunities are a top priority for residents in her district, she said. Plus, unique and beautiful parks help with economic development, she said.
The property would be developed for a wide variety of purposes over the next 20 years, Huckelberry said.

• The parcel north of Orange Grove, which is in Marana, could be redeveloped as a retail shopping center, spurring economic development.

• There's enough land area to build multipurpose sports complex for amateur tournaments, with an emphasis on soccer, and to expand the existing Ted Walker Softball Complex. And Corazón could be a potential site for a velodrome and other bike centers.

• Trails, connections to other parks and cultural interpretation sites would be built.

• The Sunset pit would be reused as a water recharge lake for wildlife and recreation, similar to the Kino Environmental Restoration Project near Kino Stadium.

• Some areas would be revegetated and kept as open space. The Orange Grove pit would be reshaped and revegetated to be an ecosystem restoration project without active water. Other areas could be developed as botanical gardens.

• Overburden material from the mines that's not sand or gravel quality can be used to close the Ina Road landfill.

• The right of way land for a Sunset Road connection between River and Silverbell roads, bridging I-10 and the Santa Cruz River, would be ready for a future road project.

Much of the work on these proposed projects would rely on bond funding and grants. Some components already have been presented to or approved by the Pima County bond advisory committee.

"The committee recognizes a huge unmet need for parks and recreational facilities," said chairman Larry Hecker.

There's not enough bond capacity to meet all the county's needs, and bond projects must be priorized, he said. But this project offers a variety of benefits, including new recreation, he said.

The Corazón project also has the potential to clean up and beautify areas that create a first impression of Tucson for visitors, Hecker said.

About the name

The project is called Corazón de los Tres Ríos del Norte (Heart of the Three Northern Rivers) because it's in the area where the Santa Cruz River, the Rillito River and the Cañada Del Oro wash meet.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post

I'm guessing Holualoa Companies, the owner of the Pioneer Building, is waiting until they can redo the facade of the whole structure, since doing just the bottom floors wouldn't look too attractive against the modern section above it. I'm estimating several million dollars for the project, and the most they'll get from the city is probably $125,000 (what I believe the Rialto and Scott buildings were awarded a few years ago).

Hopefully, the Chicago Music Store can replace the boarded-up sections with a replica of the existing glass, which is quite nice when seen up close:

(photo: Chicago Music Store)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:41 PM

Town West's 2007 development agreement for their proposed El Mirador mixed-use project is officially ending, with the city to issue a new RFP for the 3.6-acre downtown parcel:

The lot in question is across from the Steinfeld Warehouse (right).
(photo: Downtown Tucsonan)

Council Members Romero, Kozachik Want to End Town West Development Agreement
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
December 6, 2012

City Council members Regina Romero and Steve Kozachik have jointly asked the City Manager and City Attorney to end the five-year-old development agreement for the city-owned property across from the Steinfeld Warehouse. This is the former railroad loading dock bounded by Stone Avenue, Franklin Street, 9th Avenue and 6th Street. Since 2007, the proposed El Mirador hotel and condo development has been tied to the site but no construction ever started.

The two council members sent a memo to City Manager Richard Miranda and City Attorney Mike Rankin on Nov. 19 “requesting that you proceed with canceling the development agreement with Town West.” This move comes as no surprise as at the Sept. 11 City Council meeting Romero and Kozachik were forthright in wanting to see a new request for proposal process for the lot that now serves as a city parking lot. The council on that date unanimously denied Town West request to extend the zoning for that property after Town West in recent times shifted gears to propose student housing for that property. “At the time the development agreement happened, there was no real process for RFPs,” Romero said Nov. 28. “It’s only fair after five years to be able to open it up and cancel the development agreement.”

Romero and Kozachik are asking for the steps that need to be taken to cancel the development agreement and put out a new request for proposals. They would like to establish a committee to assemble a vision for the property and also possibly review the proposals, Romero said. Town West’s zoning for retail, office, family dwelling and hotel expired on Nov. 26 and reverted to industrial. Town West’s 2007 El Mirador proposal called for three joined towers rising seven, 11 and 15 stories with about 235 hotel rooms, 150 condos and a brewpub. Town West had shelved El Mirador a couple years ago to focus on student housing – but had never officially told the City about this shift.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
What exactly is going to happen to the pioneer if it is given money to restore or remodel the look. The building looks nice as it is so I don't see the point of remodeling it. Are they going to make it look like it did when it was first built because that's not very good looking, nothing like the chase building . There are plenty of other buildings in downtown that could do with a good remodeling (city hall, and Pima federal building to name a few).
Going to have to strongly disagree with you about the Pioneer, it's pretty dreadfull I feel. The original fascade is brick, but they covered it up with what they thought was a more modern design in the 70's I believe. If they get the funding, I heard they would take down the current covering and restore the building to it's original look.

Here's a couple pics of the original fascade.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:35 PM

So I drove by the Level on Speedway the other night. I swear it looks almost as tall as 5151 on broadway!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
So I drove by the Level on Speedway the other night. I swear it looks almost as tall as 5151 on broadway!
Thats a respectable height. I was driving by downtown and saw cadence and the new courts (or what I thought was the court) and was impressed but if these heights are all that we get inside downtown our skyline would be pretty weak but we might have a vibrant downtown, something worth it all.

Last edited by Ritarancher; Dec 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
I work right across the street from 5151 Broadway. It's 246 feet tall. The Level's going to be about 190 feet tall. I will say, it does look tall for the neighborhood and will look really nice when the other 2 buildings of similar height are built.

Here's a list of the tallest building's in Tucson from Wikipedia.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:29 AM

The construction walls in front of the new Thunder Canyon Brewery location were taken down at some point in the recent past and the brewery has installed signs. I'd be curious to walk by on foot to see how far along the interior work is.

On the brewery front, I was walking down Herbert over the weekend and some exterior demo is occurring at the location that should be housing Corbett Brewing. It looks like two large holes have been cut out of the wall facing Herbert that are about the size of industrial garage doors. It's tough to see what else is going on there as the metal fence is really tall.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:20 AM

i drove by cadence too and the garage along side it made that intersection to 4th feel urban i wish theyd agree to higher buildings but i guess im happy with the density.

patrick, where do you work? i think that meryll lynch and williams centre would be cool to work in. plus i like the purple lighting on 5151 at night along with udall's white lights.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:24 PM

TWO LOCAL FIRMS ACQUIRE AND RENOVATE ARMORY PARK APARTMENTS

Quote:
Peach Properties HM, Inc. and Holualoa Companies, two Tucson based firms, are pleased to announce their partnership for the renovation of the former Armory Park Apartments that has been renamed the “Herbert”. Plans call for the Herbert to open the summer of 2013, timed to coincide with the passenger service for the Sun Link streetcar system in late 2013.

The extensive renovation of this 41-year-old property includes upgrading interior units with new cabinets, countertops, flooring, bathroom fixtures and windows. Amenities will include an exercise facility, massage room, a “flex-space” common area and lobby. One bedroom apartments will be 600 square-feet and studios 450-square-feet. The eight-story, 144-unit property will feature an entrance to the north side of the property that is pedestrian and bicycle friendly. The renovation will create a fresh and modern feel for this pivotal residential property located at the transition of the historic residential Armory Park neighborhood and the modern street car commercial district that includes shops, restaurants and entertainment.

Architects for the project are Eglin-Bresler Architects and FORS Architecture + Interiors.

Click here for the latest update and to find out when pre-leasing begins.
No major news on this, maybe the completion date is new, but I think the image is bigger and the leasing website is live.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:22 PM

aLoft 12/13/12

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest