HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ not sure exactly - but I think the typical is 5 on 5 off.

They generally have a fair bit of time for side ventures.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Say what you will about Katz as a mayor, one thing I think he doesn't receive enough credit for was his focus on re-investment, and in some cases, re-organization, of some our key parks and community centres. Central Park and Assiniboine Park in particular come to mind. As do some of our inner-city community centres.
Yeah, no.

The Katz administration took the funds already earmarked for LRT and used some of them to pay for park upgrades. Some of them were slated to go to private developers,and finally some went back into gen. revenue.

So this revisionist history that Katz did a good job of putting money into parks was simply because he killed LRT to do it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ not sure exactly - but I think the typical is 5 on 5 off.

They generally have a fair bit of time for side ventures.
Looks like 4 on, 4 off. 12 hr shifts

http://uffw.ca/shift-calendar/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:04 PM

Day shifts are 7 am to 5 pm, night shifts are 5 pm to 7 am

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:24 AM

In 2019 thus far, 36 of 39 murders have occurred in the pre-Unicity boundaries of the City of Winnipeg. With a population of approximately 200,000, this gives a homicide rate of 18 per 100,000. If Winnipeg was an American city and had that rate in 2018, it would have ranked 15th in homicide rate for last year, much higher than New York, Los Angeles or Minneapolis. With 8 weeks to go in the year, it is quite probable that Winnipeg's rate for 2019 will exceed Chicago's 2018 rate of 20.7. Still, heads are in the sand.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Yeah, no.

The Katz administration took the funds already earmarked for LRT and used some of them to pay for park upgrades. Some of them were slated to go to private developers,and finally some went back into gen. revenue.

So this revisionist history that Katz did a good job of putting money into parks was simply because he killed LRT to do it.
There were funds earmarked for LRT? Lol, ok.

Either way, regardless of what you think of Katz, I think we can objectively say that a few of our major parks, and some of the community centres, were in noticeably better shape the in 2015 than they were in 2004. But I do realize that some of you younger folks on here never walked through Central Park in the late 1990s.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:23 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Yeah, no.

Was Katz in favour of BRT or LRT? Gee, I can't remember? Were those Federal dollars for BRT or for LRT? It's been 15 long years, so I guess I'll just Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree and hope for the best.

OK, so here's the relevant paragraph from Wikipedia - Winnipeg RT:

Quote:
In 2002, Mayor Glen Murray pushed for BRT as the mode choice for the Southwest Transit Corridor using guided bus technology like that in the Essen, Germany. He made a deal with Premier Gary Doer that would see the construction of the Kenaston Underpass, the construction of the Manitoba Hydro headquarters downtown, and the construction of Phase I of the Corridor. All projects except the BRT were funded and constructed. Glen Murray quit his job as Mayor to run for a seat in the 2004 Federal election, which he lost. The next Mayor, Sam Katz, promised to cancel BRT in favour of an LRT, though Katz could not accomplish an LRT for Winnipeg. As a compromise, he allowed Phase I of BRT that "could be converted to LRT at a later date". Papers were signed in September 2008, with construction beginning during the Summer of 2009.
OK, so no one bothered to cite this paragraph and events. OK, I may as well work on this... but I love doing it all the same.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In 2019 thus far, 36 of 39 murders have occurred in the pre-Unicity boundaries of the City of Winnipeg. With a population of approximately 200,000, this gives a homicide rate of 18 per 100,000. If Winnipeg was an American city and had that rate in 2018, it would have ranked 15th in homicide rate for last year, much higher than New York, Los Angeles or Minneapolis. With 8 weeks to go in the year, it is quite probable that Winnipeg's rate for 2019 will exceed Chicago's 2018 rate of 20.7. Still, heads are in the sand.
Up to 40 now, and to me it looks like 6 of those have been outside the pre-unicity boundaries of Winnipeg including the most recent one which was in Waverley West. So at most 34/40 in old Winnipeg itself.

But if you're going to fudge the numbers for Winnipeg by giving stats for the high crime area, why wouldn't you do the same for NYC, LA, Minneapolis or Chicago? I mean, Chicago is up to 443 this year, and most of those are concentrated in a relatively small area too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:54 PM

It's sad really. Most of the murders that take place are people in compromised positions. Drug trade, gangs, whatever. The people are known to each other. Very few homicides are at random.

It's the people whom are caught in the middle of it all that really sucks. Such as the 3 year old. Like wtf.. heartbreaking.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:57 PM

^ The 3 year old situation was especially hard to stomach because there was a case of a victim who was 100% innocent and deserved to live in safety. That was a new low.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The 3 year old situation was especially hard to stomach because there was a case of a victim who was 100% innocent and deserved to live in safety. That was a new low.
Not to downplay the tragic death of an innocent three year old but it came to light that the monster that killed him had robbed a MLCC liquor store shortly after and threatened a clerk.

Just goes to show that it's not always poor teenagers robbing liquor stores and the longer the current govt. see's fit to "just let things go" only increases the chance of something bad happening to a store employee or the general public!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Out of curiosity does anyone know what shifts a typical Winnipeg firefighter works? Like what hours are day shifts vs night shifts? I know a bunch work jobs on the side cause of a lot of
Time off between working
It depends entirely on the time they require to finish their side jobs, so they get extra rich.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Not to downplay the tragic death of an innocent three year old but it came to light that the monster that killed him had robbed a MLCC liquor store shortly after and threatened a clerk.

Just goes to show that it's not always poor teenagers robbing liquor stores and the longer the current govt. see's fit to "just let things go" only increases the chance of something bad happening to a store employee or the general public!
Not untrue.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
There were funds earmarked for LRT? Lol, ok.

Either way, regardless of what you think of Katz, I think we can objectively say that a few of our major parks, and some of the community centres, were in noticeably better shape the in 2015 than they were in 2004. But I do realize that some of you younger folks on here never walked through Central Park in the late 1990s.
BRT/LRT..... suffice to say, Katz set BRT back over a decade by cancelling a funding agreement and redirected those funds to a variety of other things including city parks and private developers.

Had the RT proceeded as originally planned, we would probable have at least 3 legs done by now and we would likely have seen most if not all of the park upgrades.

But yaay, sammy....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Up to 40 now, and to me it looks like 6 of those have been outside the pre-unicity boundaries of Winnipeg including the most recent one which was in Waverley West. So at most 34/40 in old Winnipeg itself.

But if you're going to fudge the numbers for Winnipeg by giving stats for the high crime area, why wouldn't you do the same for NYC, LA, Minneapolis or Chicago? I mean, Chicago is up to 443 this year, and most of those are concentrated in a relatively small area too.
You're not including Elmwood, which was part of the pre-Unicity City of Winnipeg. It had joined in 1906. There have been three in that area. Four now have happened in the suburbs, two in Fort Garry , one in St. Boniface (Windsor Park) and one in St. James. So no, it was in fact 36 of 39, now 36 of 40.

Before commenting, always be sure to check your facts. The link DOES give the stats for the cities, which in in the vast majority of cases in the U.S. are the inner cities. Very few "Unicity" forms of municipal government in the U.S., unlike in Canada. Jacksonville is the only major city that I can think of, Indianapolis to a lesser degree as it has just about half its metro population in the city. So for Chicago, the figure is for the City of Chicago, pop. 2.7 million, Atlanta for the City of Atlanta pop. 500,000, for St. Louis, the City of St. Louis pop. 300,000. The figures are not for the respective metros which have appox. 9.5, 6.0 and 2.8 million population respectively. When people think of the Twin Cities, seldom do they understand that just the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul have just about 425,000 and 310,000 population respectively. The current incarnation of Winnipeg is essentially a metropolitan area, it having as of 2016 in excess of 90% of the population of the Winnipeg CMA.

My goodness, if Chicago is up to 443 for a population of 2,700,000 that gives a rate of 16.4 per 100,000 ,which is lower than Winnipeg's 18.0! Far from "fudging", I am providing a more accurate and fair comparison.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:37 PM

^ I think it is your local media with its state funding that can be more accurately accused of "fudging".

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You're not including Elmwood, which was part of the pre-Unicity City of Winnipeg. It had joined in 1906. There have been three in that area. Four now have happened in the suburbs, two in Fort Garry , one in St. Boniface (Windsor Park) and one in St. James. So no, it was in fact 36 of 39, now 36 of 40.
I am including the Elmwood incidents. However, I suspect you are including the two in the Tyndall Park/Garden Grove area in the count despite the fact that was not part of the old City of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I am including the Elmwood incidents. However, I suspect you are including the two in the Tyndall Park/Garden Grove area in the count despite the fact that was not part of the old City of Winnipeg.
Yes, that area was. From McGregor west ,the border was Carruthers Avenue and west of McPhillips St. the corresponding alignment that would be Carruthers if it existed west of McPhillips. then north on Keewatin to Farmer (more or less Jefferson) then east to the old alignment of Ritchie and north to the existing city boundary at Mollard. So all areas west of Keewatin and north of Selkirk Ave. were part of the old city and that's where the two in question occurred.

I'm using the boundaries as they existed at the time of Unicity on January 1st 1972. Winnipeg's boundaries changed on a number of occasions after its incorporation in 1873, esp. in 1882 when the boundary was moved west from Boundary (Maryland) to St. James St. and all of today's Fort Rouge and River Heights were annexed.
West of Keewatin and between Selkirk and Notre Dame was Brooklands (joined St. James in 1967) except for Brookside Cemetery and a little piece west of Moody St. which were also part of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:03 PM

^^^ Vimy Ridge Park used to be called St. James Park and the building N.E. corner Portage and Beverley is still called the St. James Park block. Even after the 1882 annexations the area continued to be known as St. James (probably because it was semi-rural and still part of the Parish), at least until its rapid development in the decade or so before World War I when it started to be referred to as the West End.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:05 PM

^What exactly is your point? No one is debating that the rate is high. Why not just go down the neighbourhood level and calculate rates for each census tract? The result would be the same, crime is concentrated in poor inner city areas. This is not news. So what exactly is your point again?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan