HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
There is still going to be pedestrian overpass near the old station over the tracks right?

Removing that without replacing it would be a mistake.
It would be quite a bit to the left of that last picture - well out of range of this development.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:18 PM

Okay, just the render looking down the tracks from the west seems to have removed it, guess that is just for sales purposes in the image (I hope).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post

The odd shaped building on the left and outside of the development is the Fraser River Discovery Centre, and the pedestrian overpass is beyond it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:38 PM

Okay, thanks for clearing that up

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The odd shaped building on the left and outside of the development is the Fraser River Discovery Centre, and the pedestrian overpass is beyond it.
Little known fact: that overpass is actually owned by the River Market and the city. The city owns part of the steps leading up from Hyack Square, and River Market owns everything that's over Front Street and the train tracks.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 12:37 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
When they opened the Plaza 88 shops almost all the retail had been removed from the Quay - the only store remaining is Donald's Market. I'd suspect the commerical part of this will be geared towards restaurants and coffee shops too.
I wonder if in 10 or 20 years they can build a third tower where the small commercial building is; replacing the commercial space in the podium.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Wow this proposal gets me all excited once again! APPROVED!!

Will love to see a brand new skyline of downtown New West, especially taking the skytrain crossing the bridge.
Are you saying that you approve of the project, or that the city of New Westminster has officially approved it?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 2:41 AM

Tempo on Alderbridge and Lansdowne in Richmond.

Pic by me.

Last edited by RichmondOval; Oct 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Are you saying that you approve of the project, or that the city of New Westminster has officially approved it?
It is not fully approved. The project details just went to the Land Use and Planning Committee (report). It does look like they want to move it through the process quickly, with the development permit being issued by the end of the year. The original master plan was agreed to a few years ago so it looks like this is just a special development permit vs. full rezoning. The full timeline from the report is pasted below. Could this start in early 2017 and complete sometime in 2019? Wishful thinking perhaps but not out of the realm of possibility.
  • 1. Staff, applicant and consultants to continue working with external agencies on
  • proposal review (October - November 2016)
  • 2. Staff, applicant and consultants to continue working on City servicing requirements
  • (October – November 2016)
  • 3. Report to LUPC (October 3, 2016)
  • 4. Report from LUPC to Council (October 17, 2016)
  • 5. Public Consultation (Mid-Late October 2016)
  • a. Public Open House, Presentation to Downtown Residents Association &
  • Quayside Community Board
  • 6. Presentation to New Westminster Design Panel (October 25, 2016)
  • 7. Sign-off from external agencies on development proposal (Late fall 2016)
  • 8. Report on Special Development Permit and Consideration of Notice for DVP By
  • Council (early November 2016)
  • 9. Consideration of Development Agreement Amendment: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Readings (early
  • November 2016)
  • 10.Opportunity to be Heard for Development Variance Permit (Late November 2016)
  • 11.Adoption of Development Agreement by Council (Late November 2016)
  • 12.Staff and applicant to finalize Works & Service agreement (December 2016)
  • 13.Issuance of SDP by Director of Development Services (December 2016)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 5:29 AM

^^Thanks for the small Tempo update. I came across this on the River Park Place II website. It's meant to show the 360 degree view from the top floor, but it gives a fairly good progress update for a number of Oval Village projects. Albeit a couple months out of date.

From left to right:
- Cadence, two towers by Cressey
- Ora, three towers by Onni (complete)
- Two River Green, the two-tower second phase of ASPAC's massive River Green development
- future riverfront park, still lined with industrial buildings
- River Park Place, the first tower in Intracorp's three-tower development
- Riva, Onni's mostly-complete low-rise development consisting of four buildings, in behind RPP
- Tempo, Amacon's first tower is shown under construction
- not part of the village, but it shows how dense the main skyline is getting towards No. 3 Road & Westminster Highway

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
^^Thanks for the small Tempo update. I came across this on the River Park Place II website. It's meant to show the 360 degree view from the top floor, but it gives a fairly good progress update for a number of Oval Village projects. Albeit a couple months out of date.
No problem! I drive past this area often, and have witnessed the changes in this area for the past two to three years. In my opinion, Richmond offers density and walkability unmatched by any other suburbs in the lower mainland besides North Vancouver. All that's missing are tall buildings, which is limited by Richmond's close proximity with the airport, as well as it's geographic nature.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 9:31 AM

Awesome pano urbancanadian! Thanks for sharing. There are so many midrises going up in Richmond it's hard to keep up with them all.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Awesome pano urbancanadian! Thanks for sharing. There are so many midrises going up in Richmond it's hard to keep up with them all.
I prefer mid-rises to skyscrapers, they make for human-centric urban environments. Exactly the reason why European cities and on relative terms even Tokyo are more attractive than their American and Canadian counter-parts.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 4:22 AM

brookmere by onni

http://www.onni.com/brookmere/building/

is ging up on north road next to the mcdonalds, which is apparently staying due to their long lease in that location while its neighbours get redeveloped...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:26 AM

i noticed the sears at metrotown has added concord pacific signage to the outside of the store and it seems more prominent then the sears store signage

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:44 AM

Re: Brookmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
The website for it is fairly vague.. it shows the location in several places along North Road.

Edit: dug up a rezoning hearing: http://www.coquitlam.ca/Libraries/Co...em11.sflb.ashx

Pretty sure that it's these two buildings, the former Burger King and current Gelato place and the automotive shop next door:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondOval View Post
No problem! I drive past this area often, and have witnessed the changes in this area for the past two to three years. In my opinion, Richmond offers density and walkability unmatched by any other suburbs in the lower mainland besides North Vancouver. All that's missing are tall buildings, which is limited by Richmond's close proximity with the airport, as well as it's geographic nature.
I would put New West ahead of Richmond as well, but I agree with you that it's in the top three. For all the praise that Burnaby gets, it fails in this regard. Willingdon Heights would be a notable exception.

What I find interesting about Richmond is that it essentially has two height limits: the upper limit, caused by the airport flight paths, but also a "lower limit" caused by the soils. So not only do they have to fit the density within a certain height, but they also have to cram the parking (and anything else that would normally be built below grade) within that same limit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 7:16 AM

Is there retail on the other side of the Brookmere or no?

I'm frankly a little surprised (and also pleased) they're going for underground parking at the New West waterfront... I can't imagine it being cheap at all with the poor soil quality plaguing nearby developments and the river being right beside it... I'm curious how they're going to adequately waterpoof the place from flooding...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 7:49 PM

i think the north road side will have some retail spaces at brookmere

it would make that area more continuous as its mostly retail along there

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 10:05 PM

The residential lobby being on the east side of the building is a good sign the west side will be retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley