HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 5:46 AM

Ran across this article on the New York Times web-site about the Mission Garden's here in Tucson. This is just half of the first page of the on-line article (the article takes up 4 pages).

Seeds of an Era Long Gone
By MICHAEL TORTORELLO

THE lost pueblito of Tucson is a Spanish outpost of Pima Indians, soldiers and ranchers on the banks of the Santa Cruz River. On a clear, sunny fall day (which could be just about any day in the desert), Jesús Manuel García Yánez will sometimes look for the missing settlement from the top of a black volcanic heap that the locals call A Mountain, after the gigantic concrete letter on the side.

In a straightforward sense, Mr. García, 44, is a Mexican ecologist. More broadly, though, he is a self-appointed emissary from the land once known as Pimería Alta, an interpreter of its culture, plants and people.

He pointed to the west. Picture the Presidio of San Agustín de Tucson right there, a 12-foot-high adobe bulwark against Apache marauders. Across the acequias, or old irrigation ditches, would be the mission and convent, which rose after the Jesuit padre Eusebio Francisco Kino visited in the 1690s.

What obscured the vista on this day, as it has for the last 50 years, was the sprawl of modern Tucson and its half million residents. The presidio had yielded to the glass office towers of downtown. The mission and convent had crumbled and become a municipal dump.

“It’s a search for what Tucson used to be,” Mr. García said. “Along the Santa Cruz River, there was a belt of cottonwoods and a mesquite forest. But that’s gone. The water table dropped. For newer generations to try to see that is almost impossible.”

Except for one thing. Mr. García waved down to the flood plain and a new adobe wall that formed a tidy square. Inside was a huerta, a small orchard of the same fruit trees that Padre Kino and his fellow missionaries brought with them from the Mediterranean.

These trees were no mirage: apricots, peaches, quinces, figs, pears, limas (or sweet limes) and pomegranates. Along with a civic group called Friends of Tucson’s Birthplace, Mr. García helped to plant the Mission Garden in March with specimens he scouted himself.

He had found the trees growing next to leaky troughs at border ranches and in the tiny Tucson backyards of elderly Hispanic ladies. How long has that quince been there, he would ask, and what is its story?

“When I became involved about 8 to 10 years ago,” he said, “it dawned on me that Tucson was a sleepy Mexican town like the Mexican towns in Sonora. If you don’t travel to Mexico, you can’t picture what that was.”

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 5:04 PM

Here's a couple of articles about the streetcar - one good, one not-so-good.

Streetcar work to be done by 4th Ave. fair's opening
Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

Shoppers won't have to maneuver around construction equipment at this year's Fourth Avenue Winter Street Fair.

The city expects to wrap up construction a few days before the first day of the event on Dec. 7.

Streetcar project manager Jesse Gutierrez said crews have been working feverishly to get the street paved and opened.

"We've been working every weekend and even Veterans Day," Gutierrez said.

He said they will begin pouring concrete Monday, and he expects the final touches will be completed by Dec. 4.

"It's tight. But we're on track," Gutierrez said.

The fair is set for the weekend of Dec. 7.

Streetcar builder shifts workers to Ore. project; Tucson line may face delay
Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

The company building Tucson's streetcars has reassigned most of the workers on the Tucson project to the already-delayed Portland, Ore., system, potentially triggering a domino delay for Tucson.

The company, United Streetcar, also lost two key senior managers at the production plant, City Sun Link Co-Manager Andrew Quigley wrote in a memo to the City Council late last week, warning of "potential schedule delays."

Tucson's first streetcar is supposed to be ready for testing by Dec. 26, Quigley said. That's still possible, he said, but a technical review team that visited the plant has advised him the changes "could impact the production schedule for the Tucson #1 vehicle."

Portland was supposed to receive its first vehicle for testing on city tracks earlier this month, but that has been delayed to address design issues discovered in testing at the factory, resulting in United Streetcar shifting "nearly all of their manpower to the Portland vehicles," Quigley wrote.

Despite his warning to the council, Quigley insisted there's no reason to think United Streetcar won't have Tucson's first vehicle ready for testing on Dec. 26 and delivered sometime in February.

"We don't believe there's going to be a schedule impact at all," he said when asked about the memo. "The schedule remains on schedule."

United Streetcar, a subsidiary of Oregon Iron Works, is the first American company in 60 years to build streetcars. Portland and Tucson are its first customers.

But it has struggled with numerous design and propulsion-system problems over the past few months. As a result, deadlines and delivery dates had to be shifted.

Both the Tucson and Portland vehicles have already been delayed about three months.

Tucson was supposed to receive the first of its eight cars in October. Portland was supposed to receive all five of its cars by Sept. 22. So far, the company has only delivered one vehicle, a prototype, to Portland.

The executive director of Portland's streetcar project, Rick Gustafson, said it comes as no surprise to him that there's another delay, since transit has such stringent safety requirements.

"The rules on safety are absolute … and schedules don't change that," Gustafson said. "You must get 100 percent (on testing). Not 95 percent and not 90 percent. And that's a good thing."

Portland's prototype went through about four months of testing before being certified, Gustafson said. It is currently in service on Portland's new streetcar line.

While United Streetcar's deadlines were achievable, Gustafson said, the company failed to account for any setbacks when it was setting its timelines.

"You want to believe there aren't going to be any," he said. "But each time you have one, it could cost you three weeks in the schedule."

Based on his experience with the prototype, Gustafson predicts testing on the next vehicle will be considerably shorter.

But he said, "You only get to find that out once you conduct the tests and make sure all of the components are working properly."

United Streetcar President Chandra Brown was out of the office this week and did not return the Star's calls.

Tucson's progress

Tucson's first vehicle was getting its floor installed last week. So far, it's mostly just a painted shell with no wiring, propulsion systems or seats.

Quigley said he expects all of those things will be in place by Dec. 26.

The other cars are in various stages of production.

Jeremy Papuga, director of transit services at the Regional Transportation Authority, said all they can do at this moment is wait and see what happens next.

"We are monitoring the situation with our partners at the city of Tucson," Papuga said.
"We are keeping our eye on it at this point … and we are waiting for the OIW (Oregon Iron Works) team to move forward on the Portland project."

The city isn't sitting idly by though.

According to the memo, the city's technical team overseeing the streetcar production process is "identifying mitigation measures" such as double shifts, increasing the staff and flying in parts so they can be installed quicker so the project remains on schedule.

City Councilman Steve Kozachik said the city staff should just level with people when it comes to the streetcar project.

"I know I've been a thorn in staff's side for two years now on both budget and schedule, but the reason is that we need to manage people's expectations. It's not a sin if we take delivery late, especially if there isn't anything we can do to control it," Kozachik said. "If OIW has shifted all of their staff to focus on Portland, and our No. 1 vehicle is still sitting on an assembly line, let's just prepare people for the probability that they're going to be late. I don't see why that's such a hard message to deliver. Then if they get here on time, it's gravy."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:35 PM

That's good news about the street fair, although I've always wondered how the fair will be set up once the streetcar is running.

As for the manufacturing delays, my hope is that we're still so far out from the opening date that it won't be a major issue. I didn't bother looking at comments on the DS website but I can guarantee there were people on there talking about how big of a failure the project is even though they probably regularly spout off about buying American.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
That's good news about the street fair, although I've always wondered how the fair will be set up once the streetcar is running.

As for the manufacturing delays, my hope is that we're still so far out from the opening date that it won't be a major issue. I didn't bother looking at comments on the DS website but I can guarantee there were people on there talking about how big of a failure the project is even though they probably regularly spout off about buying American.
They just posted an image of how theyre handling the streetfair, the cars will go to fourth and then turn around: "This turnout in front of Time Market on University Boulevard will allow streetcars to change direction when 4th Avenue is closed for the two annual street fairs."

also some cool stuff, downtown they doubled the size of the sidewalks by eliminated the parallel parking. should help make the area more pedestrian!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
Tucsonan

NEW INFO ON NEW DEVELOPMENT!

"THE HUB" (bad name considering the restaurant IMO)
13 floor housing located at 1011 N Tyndall (NW corner of 1st & Tyndall)
Services by Grenier Engineering (they did the new Unisource Building)

http://www.tucsonaz.gov/SIREPub/cach...2044640675.pdf

this thing looks pretty big! and its right next door to Level and Park Avenue, going to be a dense area!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
They just posted an image of how theyre handling the streetfair, the cars will go to fourth and then turn around: "This turnout in front of Time Market on University Boulevard will allow streetcars to change direction when 4th Avenue is closed for the two annual street fairs."
Awesome. I had wondered why they were putting in those turnarounds.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:

this thing looks pretty big! and its right next door to Level and Park Avenue, going to be a dense area!
Wow. I'm assuming this will take out the apartment complex on the corner as well as the midblock building, listed as the Direct Center for Independence on Google Maps. That will be a dense block.

EDIT - Based on the plan measurements, it seems like this will only take up the corner lot where the apartment complex is.

EDIT 2 - Plans indicate 160 units, 606 beds, and ~7800sf of retail, although it looks like about ~500sf of the retail will be the leasing center.

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Nov 30, 2012 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:54 AM
Tucsonan

theres no visuals, but there is audio. of a meeting among the developers and the Main Gate overlay district. you can find the file here: (11/14/12 Meeting audio) http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/planning/4508

from the audio they said the architect is "antunovich" i may have misheard but i googled and it is a real thing so im assuming this is it, nothing on their website yet. But in the audio they keep referring to renderings im assuming from a powerpoint they made, so hopefully some renderings will pop up on the web.

http://www.antunovich.com/index.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:59 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Wow. I'm assuming this will take out the apartment complex on the corner as well as the midblock building, listed as the Direct Center for Independence on Google Maps. That will be a dense block.

EDIT - Based on the plan measurements, it seems like this will only take up the corner lot where the apartment complex is.
yeah i think its only that one complex on the corner theyre demolishing.

But, im fairly certain they have a second project planned where the "Direct Center for Independence" is because back when we first heard of this project, we were getting information the development would step down all the way to speedway, so i think a 12 floor building will go up next to it, because thats the allowed height for that lot.

EDIT: above in reference as I'm assuming "The Hub" is the same project the AZStar quoted as: "And Steve Shenitzer and Bill Viner want to build a 14-story student apartment building along First Street, stepping down to 12 stories and six-stories on Speedway, city documents show."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:10 AM
Tucsonan

UPDATE on ParkAve as well, going to break ground in January! so right around the corner...

Campus Acquisitions rendering:

"Campus Acquisitions has begun development of a second project at the University of Arizona. As a follow up project to LEVEL, which broke ground in May 2012 and will be ready for occupancy August 2013, Park Ave. will have 165 units, 386 beds, and 8,000 SF of Ground Floor Retail and 25,000 SF of underground parking.

ParkAve. will include lavish amenities such as the a rooftop pool, outdoor terraces, top of the line exercise rooms, private and collaborative study and technology rooms, and on-site management by CA's full service staff. Additionally, the residents will have exclusive access to a tanning salon, sauna, clubroom and cyber cafe. Park Ave is scheduled to break ground in January 2013 with full occupancy planned for August 2014."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:21 AM

If Antunovich is the company, I've been to Market Common Clarendon and it's a nice mixed use project. Clarendon and Arlington have a similar feel to the overlay district in that they have a mix of low-rise and mid-rise buildings that force developers to accommodate various views of what the neighborhood should look like.

This and the Park Avenue project should add 16,000sf of retail to the neighborhood. That's pretty significant considering the fact that the lot between the Marshall Building and the Marriott is also supposed to include significant retail.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:25 AM
Tucsonan

okay, so "The Hub at Tucson" is being developed by Core Campus. all of their properties are called "The Hub" they also are building a "The Hub at Tempe", nothing on their website about Tucson but this is the site.
http://www.corecamp.us/about/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:12 AM

Quote:
okay, so "The Hub at Tucson" is being developed by Core Campus. all of their properties are called "The Hub" they also are building a "The Hub at Tempe", nothing on their website about Tucson but this is the site.
http://www.corecamp.us/about/
I must say I like the footprint of the building here more than the one in Phoenix. The large pool area there is a waste of space.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:17 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
I must say I like the footprint of the building here more than the one in Phoenix. The large pool area there is a waste of space.
thats what i thought too, looks too ressort-y and such. definitely prefer a more urban and compact project like the one here, and what i heard from listening to the over-an-hour-long audio, the developers are putting in a lot of work to get this building to look great in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:30 AM

When it was completed 39 years ago, delays had pushed the cost of McKale Center from $2 million
to $8 million. Construction began in January 1971, and the Wildcats played their first game there
on Feb. 1, 1973. (photo: Kelly Presnell, 2005)

McKale Center remodel on track
UA seeks regents' approval to hire architect for $80M renovation

by Patrick Finley
Arizona Daily Star
November 30, 2012

McKale Center's renovation will take its first formal step next week, when the UA athletic department asks the Arizona Board of Regents to allow it to begin looking for an architect. Finalizing the proposed $80 million project, based loosely on a 2009 master plan commissioned by former UA Athletic Director Jim Livengood, would still need further regents approval. "We're in the early process, and one of the things you have to do is to hire an architect and begin the planning and design for it," UA Athletic Director Greg Byrne said. "We're asking permission from the board to move forward with that."

The renovation would upgrade spectator chairs and add new premium seating, wheelchair seating and concourses for the 14,545-seat arena, according to board documents. The UA could consider a club level, though not necessarily luxury boxes, to increase revenue. The 39-year-old building has "insufficient" access, restrooms, concessions and points of sale, according to the documents, that would be fixed by the renovation. "What used to be acceptable is not acceptable today," said Peter Dourlein, the UA assistant vice president of planning, design and construction. "That's not life or death, but that's certainly part of the fan experience."

Renovation planning began in July, according to regents' documents. Design would begin in March. Construction, done in two phases to allow McKale Center to remain open, would begin in June 2014 and be completed by summer 2017. The UA will also ask for approval of the $18.5 million South Stadium Parking Structure, which will provide 900 spaces for dorm residents and game attendees just east of the Student Recreation Center. Construction would run from December 2013 to September 2014. The board's Business and Finance Committee will discuss the plans Wednesday morning on the UA campus. Regents will examine them Thursday afternoon. Lorenzo Martinez, the regents' associate vice president for finance and administration, said the committee looks at two factors. "Is the project justified? Does the university make a good case?" he said. "And, two, is the cost reasonable for the project of that size?" The UA plans to issue $80 million in System Revenue Bonds for the McKale Center project. The athletic department is responsible for paying off the debt through private gifts and revenue.

Renovation will be possible once football staffers create space by moving to the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility at Arizona Stadium next year. McKale Center would likely "expand horizontally" toward outdoor concourses, Dourlein said. The arena's $80 million renovation cost was based on an estimated $181 per 322,789 gross square feet. UA analysis found recent renovations of The Pit at New Mexico, Crisler Center at Michigan and Pauley Pavilion at UCLA to all be more expensive than its proposed plan. Byrne has discussed remodeling McKale Center since arriving in 2010. Last year, he briefly weighed a downtown arena but said he never had "serious" discussions about it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:47 AM

Previously slated for loft-style apartments in 2007, the latest of Peach Properties' adaptive reuse projects is this former church building near the UofA, being converted to a storage facility with co-working space:

(photo: Roger Yohem)

Innovative ‘urban storage’ site planned near UA
By Roger Yohem
Inside Tucson Business
November 30, 2012

A vacant 28,000 square-foot church building near the University of Arizona campus will be redeveloped as an innovative “urban storage” facility by its new owner, Peach Properties. The company, led by renovation specialist Ron Schwabe, has purchased the former Baptist Church Education Building, 222 E. Fifth St., for $1.1 million. “This infill project is a great adaptive reuse opportunity. The urban storage concept means it will be more than basic, traditional storage. It will have higher amenities that cater to the UA student market and people living downtown,” said Schwabe. One of the more creative uses of the building will be for wine storage in the basement. That makeover will be designed to maintain a constant 58-degree temperature. Some offices will be available with a focus on co-working space. Basically, this is a shared-work environment where professional office space is made available to independent workers, consultants and small business owners who otherwise would be working from home.

Schwabe will apply this trendy co-working feature based on his success at Spoke6, another Peach Properties redevelopment project at 439 N. Sixth Ave. For a daily or monthly fee, Spoke6 customers have access to desk space, two conference rooms, wireless Internet and copy machines. Throughout the three-story former church building, about 430 storage spaces are being planned. Typical sizes likely will be 4-feet by 5-feet up to 10-feet by 15-feet. The building’s interior already is gutted. University students are projected to be a strong customer base, especially those from out of town. Plus, the site is directly north of the 760-bed The District on Fifth student housing complex. “For three months in summer, they need smaller storage for items like bikes and a few boxes. This caters to that new generation of users,” said Schwabe. Outside, plans are to convert the 42-space parking lot into a secure storage area for motorcycles, vehicles and other larger items.

The steel-and-concrete building was constructed in 1952 by the Baptist church as a school and meeting “wing.” While in use by the church, it had 55 offices, six conference rooms, a full kitchen and lunchroom, and a 2,640 square-foot multi-use “chapel” room. In recent years, the abandoned building has become a neighborhood eyesore, marred by broken windows, trash and graffiti on the exterior walls. Currently, the site has been fenced off for security and to prevent trespassing. The solid steel-concrete construction appealed to Schwabe’s expertise in preservation and redeveloping old buildings with “good bones.” He expects renovation costs to run about $1 million and plans to open about the second quarter of 2013.

The premium location is also near the Fourth Avenue entertainment district, downtown, and Sun Link, the modern streetcar route. In July 2007, developers Chris Kemmerly and Steve Quinlan bought the building for $3 million with the announced intent to convert it into loft-style apartments. But it fell into foreclosure and Peach Properties acquired it from BOKF National Association, the parent company of Bank of Arizona. The transaction was handled by Bob Kaplan and Allan Mendelsberg with Picor Commercial Real Estate Services.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Previously slated for loft-style apartments in 2007, the latest of Peach Properties' adaptive reuse projects is this former church building near the UofA, being converted to a storage facility with co-working space:

(photo: Roger Yohem)

Innovative ‘urban storage’ site planned near UA
By Roger Yohem
Inside Tucson Business
November 30, 2012

A vacant 28,000 square-foot church building near the University of Arizona campus will be redeveloped as an innovative “urban storage” facility by its new owner, Peach Properties. The company, led by renovation specialist Ron Schwabe, has purchased the former Baptist Church Education Building, 222 E. Fifth St., for $1.1 million. “This infill project is a great adaptive reuse opportunity. The urban storage concept means it will be more than basic, traditional storage. It will have higher amenities that cater to the UA student market and people living downtown,” said Schwabe. One of the more creative uses of the building will be for wine storage in the basement. That makeover will be designed to maintain a constant 58-degree temperature. Some offices will be available with a focus on co-working space. Basically, this is a shared-work environment where professional office space is made available to independent workers, consultants and small business owners who otherwise would be working from home.

Schwabe will apply this trendy co-working feature based on his success at Spoke6, another Peach Properties redevelopment project at 439 N. Sixth Ave. For a daily or monthly fee, Spoke6 customers have access to desk space, two conference rooms, wireless Internet and copy machines. Throughout the three-story former church building, about 430 storage spaces are being planned. Typical sizes likely will be 4-feet by 5-feet up to 10-feet by 15-feet. The building’s interior already is gutted. University students are projected to be a strong customer base, especially those from out of town. Plus, the site is directly north of the 760-bed The District on Fifth student housing complex. “For three months in summer, they need smaller storage for items like bikes and a few boxes. This caters to that new generation of users,” said Schwabe. Outside, plans are to convert the 42-space parking lot into a secure storage area for motorcycles, vehicles and other larger items.

The steel-and-concrete building was constructed in 1952 by the Baptist church as a school and meeting “wing.” While in use by the church, it had 55 offices, six conference rooms, a full kitchen and lunchroom, and a 2,640 square-foot multi-use “chapel” room. In recent years, the abandoned building has become a neighborhood eyesore, marred by broken windows, trash and graffiti on the exterior walls. Currently, the site has been fenced off for security and to prevent trespassing. The solid steel-concrete construction appealed to Schwabe’s expertise in preservation and redeveloping old buildings with “good bones.” He expects renovation costs to run about $1 million and plans to open about the second quarter of 2013.

The premium location is also near the Fourth Avenue entertainment district, downtown, and Sun Link, the modern streetcar route. In July 2007, developers Chris Kemmerly and Steve Quinlan bought the building for $3 million with the announced intent to convert it into loft-style apartments. But it fell into foreclosure and Peach Properties acquired it from BOKF National Association, the parent company of Bank of Arizona. The transaction was handled by Bob Kaplan and Allan Mendelsberg with Picor Commercial Real Estate Services.
I saw this article too. It looks like an interesting concept, but I'm not really sure how many students are going to use it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't really see them using it. I still like the idea though.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:09 AM

Wow. I drive by that building all the time on 6th and never realized what it looked like from the north side.

Storage can be an issue for seasonal residents and, although I don't want to see a bunch of storage businesses popping up, I think a decent number could succeed. The wine storage idea, if marketed correctly, could go over really well.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
The UA will also ask for approval of the $18.5 million South Stadium Parking Structure, which will provide 900 spaces for dorm residents and game attendees just east of the Student Recreation Center. Construction would run from December 2013 to September 2014.
This is one of the bigger aspects of this article, IMO. The way the article describes it, this will be built right next to the rec center on Cherry Avenue. This would be a relatively small footprint for a 900 space garage. By my estimation, the existing lot has about 260 or 270 spaces. Accounting for ramps and other infrastructure, I'm assuming a garage would have to be five floors or so to accommodate 900 cars.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but what this does is reduce the need for a lot of the other lots to the east of the rec center south of 6th. If you look at the two blocks south of the stadium and Sancet, they're predominated by surface lots. If these aren't necessary, the blocks are developable which works in the university's favor as they're running out of land.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Ran across this article on the New York Times web-site about the Mission Garden's here in Tucson. This is just half of the first page of the on-line article (the article takes up 4 pages).

Seeds of an Era Long Gone
By MICHAEL TORTORELLO

THE lost pueblito of Tucson is a Spanish outpost of Pima Indians, soldiers and ranchers on the banks of the Santa Cruz River. On a clear, sunny fall day (which could be just about any day in the desert), Jesús Manuel García Yánez will sometimes look for the missing settlement from the top of a black volcanic heap that the locals call A Mountain, after the gigantic concrete letter on the side.

In a straightforward sense, Mr. García, 44, is a Mexican ecologist. More broadly, though, he is a self-appointed emissary from the land once known as Pimería Alta, an interpreter of its culture, plants and people.

He pointed to the west. Picture the Presidio of San Agustín de Tucson right there, a 12-foot-high adobe bulwark against Apache marauders. Across the acequias, or old irrigation ditches, would be the mission and convent, which rose after the Jesuit padre Eusebio Francisco Kino visited in the 1690s.

What obscured the vista on this day, as it has for the last 50 years, was the sprawl of modern Tucson and its half million residents. The presidio had yielded to the glass office towers of downtown. The mission and convent had crumbled and become a municipal dump.

“It’s a search for what Tucson used to be,” Mr. García said. “Along the Santa Cruz River, there was a belt of cottonwoods and a mesquite forest. But that’s gone. The water table dropped. For newer generations to try to see that is almost impossible.”

Except for one thing. Mr. García waved down to the flood plain and a new adobe wall that formed a tidy square. Inside was a huerta, a small orchard of the same fruit trees that Padre Kino and his fellow missionaries brought with them from the Mediterranean.

These trees were no mirage: apricots, peaches, quinces, figs, pears, limas (or sweet limes) and pomegranates. Along with a civic group called Friends of Tucson’s Birthplace, Mr. García helped to plant the Mission Garden in March with specimens he scouted himself.

He had found the trees growing next to leaky troughs at border ranches and in the tiny Tucson backyards of elderly Hispanic ladies. How long has that quince been there, he would ask, and what is its story?

“When I became involved about 8 to 10 years ago,” he said, “it dawned on me that Tucson was a sleepy Mexican town like the Mexican towns in Sonora. If you don’t travel to Mexico, you can’t picture what that was

As a decedent of these Spanish settlers I think I should care more about restoring this but I don't but if New York Times is posting this than maybe this can be popular in the future.

Quote:
Streetcar builder shifts workers to Ore. project; Tucson line may face delay

I have a feeling that it will be done before the next U of A school year but if not I would still go to this company again for streetcars, Tucson and Portland are really starting the streetcar industry in America and I think that delays should be expected.

Quote:
I'm glad that the sidewalk is being expanded but the trees seem to be in the way of the sidewalk's full potential.

Quote:

I've noticed that the shape of all these buildings are in a U formation, that's ok but I do like how that Hub will have the flat side of the building on Tyndall. This area is becoming very dense, probably one of the densest areas west of the Mississippi. It's nice to see Tucsonans in skyscrapers for a change. I like the design of this building as well. Hopefully more skyscrapers can go up for families and non-students.

Quote:
McKale Center remodel on track
UA seeks regents' approval to hire architect for $80M renovation
It's good that this is going to be renovated but where the heck does the university get funds for these projects?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest