HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Now that DMI has shifted a lot of it's focus to improvements to St. george, perhaps John Street will feel some love too. A similar thing happened to Gordon Street, which has undergone a lot of densification in the past five years.
I'm hoping for a trickle-down-effect coming from St. George, as it connects to some "shifty" areas and side streets. Perhaps helping clean up streets like High and make it's way down to John. One can hope anyway.

Last edited by David_99; Dec 6, 2008 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:37 PM
Our Tide is Rising

N.B. job rate dips

Unemployment rate falls to 8.7 per cent, even with 4,600 more people in workforce

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Saturday December 6th, 2008

New Brunswick's unemployment rate fell last month despite a big influx of new people entering the workforce.

Province-wide, the labour force increased by 4,600 people compared to the same month last year, said Minister of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour Donald Arseneault, but the unemployment rate still fell to 8.7 per cent from 8.8 per cent in October.

Overall, fewer people were employed in November in this province, Statistics Canada's monthly report says.

"With today's economy and pressures on our markets, it is especially important that we monitor these numbers so we can be fully prepared for any possible adjustments to employment programs, if necessary," Arseneault said.

"We want to ensure that New Brunswickers have the tools they need to be engaged in our labour force."

Still, Metro Moncton generates the most jobs and has the biggest participation rate in the labour force, defined by the most people either working or looking for work.

Metro's participation rate is 78,000, or 71 per cent of the working-age population. For the sake of comparison, the province's second largest participation rate is seen in Fredericton, at just less than 52,000 or 70.7 per cent.

Metro also boasts the lowest unemployment rate in the province, at 3.6 per cent, and the highest employment rate at 68.4 per cent. Fredericton was second, at four per cent and 68 per cent, respectively.

Metro has about 2,800 unemployed people, slightly more than second-place Fredericton's 2,100,

In all, 367,400 New Brunswickers had jobs in November, down by 1,800 from October and down by 1,600 compared to November of last year. The labour force stands at 402,300 people either working or looking for a job.

Nationally, the big hit to the manufacturing sector due to a worsening economy, in particular in the United States where most goods are exported, cost thousands of jobs. Ontario shed 66,000 jobs of the national total of 70,600 lost jobs.

While New Brunswick's unemployment rate improved, it still trails that of other provinces except for Prince Edward Island (down to 10.7 per cent from 11.5 per cent) and Newfoundland and Labrador (steady at 13.7 per cent.)

Nova Scotia recorded the fourth worse rate at 7.8 per cent, up from last month's 7.5 per cent.

Stats Can says year-over-year in New Brunswick, jobs have been lost in areas such as manufacturing and in the sector of information, culture and recreation. Most of the new jobs were created in public administration, health care and social assistance.

About 5,700 jobs have been created this year in southeastern New Brunswick, the statistics show, with another 1,500 in the northwest.

The central region was almost unchanged.

In the southwest, 2,800 jobs were lost as well as 3,100 in Saint John.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From "the Sleuth"

J. Louis Levesque Arena to be refurbished

Well, ol' Santa is getting ready for his annual pilgrimage around the globe and Sleuth hears he already has something special in his sack of goodies for Metro Moncton.

This old gumshoe hears from his sources at Université de Moncton that Santa will be very "sporting" to the campus this year.

Sleuth hears officials with the Jean Louis Levesque Foundation will soon announce a $2.5 million refurbishment project for the university's arena that bears Levesque's name. The project will involve the construction of three major corporate box locations, two new score clocks, the installation of better heating and a total painting of the interior.

Apparently the work will begin soon and some will be completed by the time the Dieppe Commandos host the Fred Page Cup Eastern Canadian Junior Championship next March. All the work will be competed before the beginning of the 2009-10 hockey season.

This news will be greeted warmly not only by university officials, but also the larger Metro community that uses the Levesque. The rink is known to have some of the best ice in New Brunswick, but if you have ever attended a game there, you know you have to bring your mittens and toque -- it's a tad chilly.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:01 PM
Our Tide is Rising

^ Great news!

Moncton is all about arenas/stadiums lately, new 4 Ice Center, new Kay Arena, new stadium at U de M, Rocky Stone refurb, new "metro center" in the works, and now this!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It is possible that Mountain Equipment Co-op may move in there, but this is only an unsubstantiated rumour.
That's not gonna happen, at least in that form.

They pointed out earlier this year that Moncton was not on the radar.

They (MEC) generally refurbish old downtown buildings in order to turn them into "environmentally-friendly" type of building.

I mean I do not think they have much enthusiasm for suburban car-oriented development projet because, at the end of the day, it is at odds of what they do everywhere else.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Dec 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:03 PM
Our Tide is Rising

^ True, ideal situation would be for them to build on the empty lot left over on Main after that old building burned down a while back (where the mural is).

Although I doubt they will come any time soon

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:17 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
^ True, ideal situation would be for them to build on the empty lot left over on Main after that old building burned down a while back (where the mural is).

Although I doubt they will come any time soon
I'm starting to wonder if that lot is cursed. Similar lots along Main have been redeveloped recently. It's been at least ten years with no action for that lot though.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:37 PM
Our Tide is Rising

supposedly this condo building is being built on Cameron st:

They are pre-selling now.

credit: Royal Lepage Atlantic

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Where on Cameron? It should fit into that neighbouhood OK but sadly, I see more vinyl siding and no brick.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
That's not gonna happen, at least in that form.

They pointed out earlier this year that Moncton was not on the radar.

They (MEC) generally refurbish old downtown buildings in order to turn them into "environmentally-friendly" type of building.

I mean I do not think they have much enthusiasm for suburban car-oriented development projet because, at the end of the day, it is at odds of what they do everywhere else.
I know what you mean and I see your point. Like I said, it was an unsubstantiated rumour.

The MEC in Halifax is downtown and is a really nice store. I'd really like to see MEC here in Moncton, it's kinda a Canadian LL Bean. I think that they would do well. We're far enough from Halifax that the territories would not conflict too much.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:49 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Where on Cameron? It should fit into that neighbouhood OK but sadly, I see more vinyl siding and no brick.
77 Cameron says the listing, and the map appears to place it at the corner of Gordon and Cameron. I think it will fit in there well, there is a similar building next door.

The listing: http://www.youronlineagents.com/rlpa....php?id=106216

Also in apartment building news...when driving on the wheeler toward Dieppe there is a new fairly large building going up (its 3 floors so far) on the right just before you pass George Dumont...Have we talked about it before or what? haha, it kinda took me by surprise.

Last edited by mmmatt; Dec 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:51 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I know what you mean and I see your point. Like I said, it was an unsubstantiated rumour.

The MEC in Halifax is downtown and is a really nice store. I'd really like to see MEC here in Moncton, it's kinda a Canadian LL Bean. I think that they would do well. We're far enough from Halifax that the territories would not conflict too much.
Its true, and I know many people who drive from Moncton and Freddy to Hali just to go there. Im sure it would do well in Moncton...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Also in apartment building news...when driving on the wheeler toward Dieppe there is a new fairly large building going up (its 3 floors so far) on the right just before you pass George Dumont...Have we talked about it before or what? haha, it kinda took me by surprise.
If it's the building that I think you mean, it's actually closer to the Moncton Hospital than the Dumont Hospital. It will be a very nice building. No, we have not talked about this apartment building at all in the forum.

A large number of the apartments in this building are going to be reserved for medical residents from Dalhousie University Medical School who are training at the Moncton Hospital.

Many people are aware of the newly established medical training program at the Dumont Hospital administered by the Universite de Sherbrooke which allows young Acadians to recieve their full medical training at home without ever having to leave the province but I don't think as many people are aware of the fact that the Moncton Hospital is also heavily invoved in medical training as well.

Most of the time, there are between 20-24 medical students and residents based at the Moncton Hospital involved in programs administered by Dalhousie University. The largest of these programs is the Northumberland Family Medicine Teaching Unit. Family physicians can recieve their complete residency training at the Moncton Hospital.

Medical training at TMH will increase significantly in the next 2-4 years. UNBSJ will be offering a medical training program similar to the Dumont by 2010. This program will have a distributed learning model with 3rd and 4th year medical students being sent around the province. One of the principle hospitals that will be involved in their training will be the TMH. I would suspect that by 2012 there will be about 40 medical students and residents at TMH full time.

Of course we should not forget the UNB Moncton nursing school or the UNB training program in medical x-ray technology also based at TMH.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:43 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Just browsing randomly as Im bored at work haha...found this pic, I think someone mentioned recently the development at the army base...so here is a pic of it:

credit: Moncton Industrial Development

The development seems to be stalled however...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
If it's the building that I think you mean, it's actually closer to the Moncton Hospital than the Dumont Hospital. It will be a very nice building. No, we have not talked about this apartment building at all in the forum.

A large number of the apartments in this building are going to be reserved for medical residents from Dalhousie University Medical School who are training at the Moncton Hospital.

Many people are aware of the newly established medical training program at the Dumont Hospital administered by the Universite de Sherbrooke which allows young Acadians to recieve their full medical training at home without ever having to leave the province but I don't think as many people are aware of the fact that the Moncton Hospital is also heavily invoved in medical training as well.

Most of the time, there are between 20-24 medical students and residents based at the Moncton Hospital involved in programs administered by Dalhousie University. The largest of these programs is the Northumberland Family Medicine Teaching Unit. Family physicians can recieve their complete residency training at the Moncton Hospital.

Medical training at TMH will increase significantly in the next 2-4 years. UNBSJ will be offering a medical training program similar to the Dumont by 2010. This program will have a distributed learning model with 3rd and 4th year medical students being sent around the province. One of the principle hospitals that will be involved in their training will be the TMH. I would suspect that by 2012 there will be about 40 medical students and residents at TMH full time.

Of course we should not forget the UNB Moncton nursing school or the UNB training program in medical x-ray technology also based at TMH.
Would those be one of the two buildings planned for the area? one was supposed to be 5 floors with 64 units, and another next door was 32 units with 4 floors. I forget the name of the street they were going on, but it was very near to the Moncton Hospital.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:

Brick would be nice, but it would be in keeping with that end of Gordon/Cameron to use vinyl. More importantly, the more density down there, the better.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 1:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Would those be one of the two buildings planned for the area? one was supposed to be 5 floors with 64 units, and another next door was 32 units with 4 floors. I forget the name of the street they were going on, but it was very near to the Moncton Hospital.
Those would indeed be the very same apartment buildings.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 3:51 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Not really development related but according to this article Monctons Santa Claus Parade is the 3rd largest in Canada! I didn't have any idea. Cool though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 10:02 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

NBCC Moncton to get $20M upgrade
Published Monday December 8th, 2008
First $10M for renovation project included in $660M N.B. capital budget tomorrow
A1
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The provincial government will use its capital budget tomorrow to announce nearly $10 million towards a major renovation for Moncton's community college campus.

The funding is the first half of a $20-million project that will be completed within two years, the Times & Transcript has learned.

"This is a major upgrade and addition for new space," said a government source. "There will be approximately 400 new spaces that will be opened up for the community college."

Last month some students were forced to change classrooms because of a leaky roof.

Finance Minister Victor Boudreau is expected to announce $660-million in capital projects for the coming year.

Premier Shawn Graham has said government will spend a total of $1.2 billion on infrastructure over the next two years.

The Liberals have said infrastructure spending and tax cuts are the best way to help New Brunswickers deal with the economic uncertainty.

On Friday, Graham announced roughly $160 million of the $1.2 billion will focus on post-secondary education.

That figure includes $35 million for a new college campus in Edmundston and $45 million for Saint John's community college campus.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Chamber endorses push for air cargo gateway
Published Monday December 8th, 2008

Plan to create direct cargo flights from Moncton to Europe gains momentum
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The idea of setting up a regular cargo link between Moncton and Europe is growing in popularity and has earned a glowing endorsement from the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce.

"The whole community and business can benefit from this," chamber chairman Terry Malley said Friday, following a presentation to the chamber by Cléo Savoie, executive-director of the Canada East Air Cargo Gateway.

The air cargo gateway is just a concept at the moment, but one that is starting to gain momentum and support from business and government.

Basically, it is a plan to set up regular cargo flights between Moncton and Europe so time-sensitive materials, like live lobster, can be sent directly across the ocean without first going to other airports like Boston, New York, Montreal or Toronto.

Savoie says the initiative would help Metro Moncton grow as a transportation and logistics hub, creating many new jobs and business opportunities along the way.

In his presentation to the chamber Friday, Savoie said a designated cargo flight would eliminate the "middle man" of other airports and open up a world of opportunity for both importers and exporters in Atlantic Canada.

Moncton is already a well-established hub for transportation and logistics, with 95 per cent of all goods coming to Atlantic Canada going through the region.

The Greater Moncton International Airport already has the capacity to handle large-scale cargo traffic and its highway links give the city 12-hour access to major centres like Boston, New York, Montreal and Toronto. Savoie said that 12-hour distance is important because that puts Moncton within a one-day drive for truckers.

Perishable items, like live lobster and other seafood, are normally transported to Europe in the cargo bellies of passenger aircraft, but those flights are often cancelled or the cargo removed because it is not a priority.

He said a reliable and quick air link would give fish producers and other exporters access to European and Asian markets. He explained that putting these products in a truck and driving them to Boston, Montreal or New York eats up valuable time. By loading cargo on a plane in Moncton and flying direct to Europe, the time saved could be effectively used to transfer the cargo onto another plane for shipment to Asian markets.

Savoie said opening up new markets in Europe and Asia is important to business operators in Atlantic Canada, especially during the current economic crisis.

He said economic conditions may force the incoming U.S. government of President-elect Barack Obama to get tough on imports in favour of home-grown products. As a major trading partner with the U.S., Canada should start looking for other markets.

Shipping our lobster directly to Europe would also help build our own identity, he said, referring to the practice of U.S. exporters re-branding Maritime lobster as "Maine lobster" before it is shipped overseas.

At the moment, the direct cargo flights do not have a proposed destination, but it will likely be somewhere in England, France or Belgium. Savoie's office is currently talking to several air cargo operators to see what kind of a deal can be worked out, but one of the sticking points is the question of what will be in the plane on the return trip.

Savoie said a large cargo jet can burn about $60,000 worth of fuel on a trip across the Atlantic. He's pretty sure it would be full of exported goods on the trip over, but the trick is to get it filled with income-generating cargo for the trip back. That could take some business savvy and development of new relationships between importers and exporters on both sides of the Atlantic.

Savoie said making the plan work will take some bright ideas from business operators who are prepared to change their way of thinking.

"We still have half-ton trucks loaded with lobster going to Boston. With a load that small I don't think that even pays for the gas. We need to start thinking differently."

Malley said the flights could make a difference but agrees it will take some new thinking.

"We need to educate people that there are better ways and more economical ways of doing things, but it's got to be different."

In his own business of building custom vehicles, Malley said he regularly imports parts and accessories from Europe and having them brought directly to Moncton could save time and money. The larger air cargo and courier companies send their planes to large distribution centres like Atlanta or Memphis.

Valerie Roy, executive-director of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce, agreed the plan is interesting and promises to benefit the local economy. She suggested the provincial and federal governments get more involved by promoting it when they send delegations on trade missions to countries in Europe and Asia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces