HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 1:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Things are ready bustling!

I'm relieved to finally see work on the BRT line. Doesn't look like it will be ready for the World Games, but in the end I'm just glad we'll have it. I really look forward to riding it!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 12:15 AM

The World Games Birmingham participating countries/athletes...

3600+ total athletes

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Angola
Argentina
Aruba
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Belgium
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil
Brunei Darussalam
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
Chile
Chinese Taipei
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cuba
Czech Republic
Denmark
Djibouti
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Estonia
Ethiopia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Guatemala
Haudenosaunee Nationals
Hong Kong, China
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iraq
Ireland
Islamic Republic of Iran
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Mauritius
Mexico
Mongolia
Montenegro
Morocco
Myanmar
Namibia
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand
North Macedonia
Norway
Pakistan
Panama
Paraguay
People's Republic of China
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Republic of Korea
Republic of Moldova
Romania
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Sri Lanka
Suriname
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
Tunisia
Turkey
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam
Virgin Islands, US

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 5:01 PM
Burming Hammer

lot of updates from this 4/26 article on alabamanewscenter.com:

City Walk BHAM on track for photo finish before The World Games 2022

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 2:24 AM
Burming Hammer

MACARONI LOFTS

glad to see this one finally showing signs of progress

2323 CONDOS

THE CITIZEN

THE MARSHALL

(i think this is the ugliest one yet)

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS PROJECT IS NEXT TO EL BARRIO?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:49 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Thanks for the updates Tim! There's so much going on sometimes it feels like a madhouse. I had low expectations for CityWalk, but it's starting to look really, really nice.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 8:21 PM
Burming Hammer

IRON & OAK

Looks to be a very suburban style development, but it will have a great view from atop the mountain on Beacon Parkway

UAB SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING COMPLEX

Nice presence on 14th St

COOPER GREEN

Old parking deck has been demolished. New replacement clinic currently being designed (6 floors)

THE MARSHALL

I think the back looks better than the front haha

NEXTEC BUILDING

(Old Sticks n Stuff building on 3rd Ave N). Anyone know what's going on in the lot across the street?

BROWN-MARX TOWER

I know, I know... is anything actually going on in this building? Such a prominent corner and key piece along 20th St

THE FRANK NELSON BUILDING

(Or just "The Frank"). Thank GOD the scaffolding is finally down... felt bad for Zaza.

WEBB BUILDING

Diagonally across the intersection of 20th/2nd N from The Frank. Supposed to have retail / restaurant on the ground level

THE 600

Construction elevator is still up, but I'm not sure any activity has been happening on this one for a while. Anyone know the status?

HARDWICK BUILDING

Construction signs up, but no work has started yet. Guessing it's still in permitting

AVENUE A TOWNHOMES

The last one (of 4) is nearing completion. Once The Hardwick and The Tracks come online, that view from the 24th St Bridge in the background will be stellar

ARTISAN FLATS

Existing buildings have been demolished and site has been cleared and leveled. Expect this one to start rising soon.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:24 AM
Burming Hammer

update on the redevelopment of the old Red Cross Building on 3rd Ave North (now called Market Lofts on 3rd):

$22.5 million in financing jump-starts construction on mixed-use redevelopment set to bring affordable housing

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 12:26 AM
Burming Hammer

20 MIDTOWN:

(Landscaping starting to go in. This one should be getting close.)

MACARONI LOFTS:

(4th Floor added to existing structure)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 12:26 AM
Burming Hammer

WORLD GAMES OPENING CEREMONY:

PROCESSION OF NATIONS:

ENTERTAINMENT:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:40 AM
Burming Hammer

Some pics from Sunday, July 10th (Day 3)... wish I could post videos of some of these.

ARCHERY

CANOPY PILOTING

PARKOUR

BREAKING

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 1:16 PM

Tim: These are great pictures. I'm happy to see Birmingham is showing up to all these events. I wasn't sure it was a good idea when it was first announced, but you guys have really stood up with the support. Way to go Birmingham!!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:05 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Tim: These are great pictures. I'm happy to see Birmingham is showing up to all these events. I wasn't sure it was a good idea when it was first announced, but you guys have really stood up with the support. Way to go Birmingham!!!
I've been pleasantly surprised by the turnout of crowds. Everything seems to be going quite well, weather permitting.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:15 AM
Burming Hammer

Final photos from the last day of the World Games:

DUATHLON (RAILROAD PARK)

GYMNASTICS (BJCC ARENA)

KORFBALL (BJCC EAST EXHIBIT HALL)

CLOSING CEREMONY (PROTECTIVE STADIUM)

WORLD GAMES PLAZA (CITY WALK BHAM)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 2:23 AM
Burming Hammer

CityWalk Bham opened up a couple of weeks ago durin The World Games 2022. Now that all the barricades and tents are down, and the city is returning to normal, I took a stroll through today to document Birmingham's newest park destination:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 7:47 PM

We have given ALDOT a lot of grief over the years, but they did great with this!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:16 PM
Burming Hammer

agreed.

i mentioned this on another forum: i was a big proponent of burying I-20/59, and building a park on top of it. no question this would have enhanced connectivity to the rest of downtown and surrouding neighborhoods. BUT... this automatically provides a large, continuous shading device overhead which is a must for these Birmingham summers (between the heat and the rain). i think this is actually the more usable of the two solutions.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 1:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
agreed.

i mentioned this on another forum: i was a big proponent of burying I-20/59, and building a park on top of it. no question this would have enhanced connectivity to the rest of downtown and surrouding neighborhoods. BUT... this automatically provides a large, continuous shading device overhead which is a must for these Birmingham summers (between the heat and the rain). i think this is actually the more usable of the two solutions.
I agree with you both. I thought this was gonna be a disaster, but it looks amazing.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:26 PM

GT Brewery moving all operations from original location to second location and making way for the new Uproot Brewery to take over that 3rd Ave location.

https://bhamnow.com/2022/08/17/ghost...ing-late-2022/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:29 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

An amendment to the Downtown West Urban Renewal Plan could bring new life to a former hotel site in Birmingham.

The Birmingham City Council approved an amendment to another Urban Renewal Plan this week that includes the possible acquisition and development of a former hotel property.

The proposal to amend the Downtown West Urban Renewal Plan includes the downtown area known as the Innovation District. The amendment to the plan includes an update to the land use plan and targets the former Adams Inn site for acquisition and redevelopment. According to Jefferson County public records, the appraised value of the property is a little over $700,000.

Michael Ward, principal planner for the city’s planning, engineering and permits department, presented the proposal to the city council on Aug. 16.

Located 300 10th St. N., the former Adams Inn property was the site of several fires before eventually having demolition liens placed on the property. It was demolished in April 2014. The site is currently overgrown with vegetation.

The Council’s approval means that the city will move forward in working to acquire the property, and once the property is purchased, a request for proposal will be created to secure a developer for the site. The existing boundaries of the Urban Renewal District and the Innovation District Overlay will not change as a result of the amendment.

Ward said the proposal was previously heard by the Birmingham Planning Commission and the City Council’s Planning & Zoning Committee. Both entities supported the amendment.

The City Council also approved to amend the Arlington-West End Urban Renewal Plan at this week's meeting. The proposal includes plans to acquire and redevelop a former apartment property into a mixed-use and mixed-income development.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:32 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...nvestment.html

The Jefferson County Commission approved financial support for four economic development projects.

A total investment of $31.8 million is spread across three of the four projects. The county is also investing $750,000 into a study and project from the Birmingham Business Alliance. Three of the projects will create a projected 401 combined jobs over the next five years.

The four projects include an expansion of local health care company Pack Health. Pack Health's capital investment will be $5.2 million and will create 200 jobs over the next five years, according to projections. Read more about other incentives for this project here.

Along with Pack Health, national security solutions provider Kratos is investing $26.6 million into the community and will create 76 high-paying jobs within the next five years. Kratos is also receiving incentives for its project, which the BBJ previously reported on here.

Following Kratos, the Bray will develop approximately 865 acres of land in Liberty Park. That land will house Medical Properties Trust's new headquarters. It will also offer residential, hospitality, health care, parks and schools. According to the county's projections, over the next 25 years the Bray will have a fiscal impact of $70 in ad valorem taxes. The project is a joint venture with the city of Vestavia Hills. In the March, the BBJ reported on an approved plan for 600 homes on 700 acres of the land.

The final project out of the four is the expansion of the Southern Research Institute's facilities. The expansion will allow the Institute to develop commercialization capacity along with a venture studio and research laboratory space. The new research space will total 200,000 square feet. Southern Research Institute expects to add approximately 125 new jobs.

Along with the four economic development projects, the county is investing $750,000 into the Birmingham Business Alliance's (BBA) supply chain study and Supplier Scale program. The BBA's program will support business development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast