HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:10 PM
-

Not sure if everyone is aware but Eater Nola has launched.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:06 AM

AFAIK...the portion of the riverfront park (i.e. Reinventing the Crescent) in the Bywater neighborhood is moving forward. Not sure of the rest of the plan.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
-

Yes it appears construction is still progressing but I do think they could do a better job of informing the public of its progress.

New Restaurant to be built on Lakefront

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2011/...front.php#more

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:49 PM

Looks like the old Popeyes near Elysian Fields and Rober E. Lee will remain a Popeye's. I'm assuming that the deal to put a location on campus at UNO may have fallen through, probably because of the construction delays over there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:53 PM
-

Can we get the guy above banned for spam?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:13 PM
TL;DR

^ I reported the post, but it's up to mods whether to ban him or no.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:28 PM

Opening of Concourse D expansion at MSY

I don't know if it has officially been announced, but according to their facebook, the expansion of Concourse D at MSY has been opened and will have a formal opening tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/MSYAirport

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:28 PM

That building on magazine st between girod and julia that has been getting renovated has a sign up with the four tenants listed. I was driving by quickly, but think two of them were local clothing stores. Glad to see that building back on commerce.

Also, WWII museum is painting the original building to match more closely with the new construction. They are also scoring it to show off some of the brick that is underneath. I personally think it does not look good and wish they would just expose all the brick. There are parts that are exposed that haven't been repainted over yet and they look great.

Lastly, work has begun on a relatively big building on the corner of girod and carondelet near the Rouse's. Not sure what is planned there, but looks to me like it would work for apartments.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 7:36 PM

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
That building on magazine st between girod and julia that has been getting renovated has a sign up with the four tenants listed. I was driving by quickly, but think two of them were local clothing stores. Glad to see that building back on commerce.

Also, WWII museum is painting the original building to match more closely with the new construction. They are also scoring it to show off some of the brick that is underneath. I personally think it does not look good and wish they would just expose all the brick. There are parts that are exposed that haven't been repainted over yet and they look great.

Lastly, work has begun on a relatively big building on the corner of girod and carondelet near the Rouse's. Not sure what is planned there, but looks to me like it would work for apartments.
Hmm...WWII should be interesting. I'll have to pass by the other building on Magazine and slow down.

THe building on Carondelet @ Girod is probably the old school book depository which they've been gutting for a few months now. It was quiet for awhile after they started, but I've seen some workers there again recently.

Also, I was driving by the old Flex.... the other day and saw a realtor showing someone around. Hopefully it's picked up quickly. I'm at least glad it shut down. I don't think a bath house / swingers club is a good fit or boost for the up and coming neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Hmm...WWII should be interesting. I'll have to pass by the other building on Magazine and slow down.

THe building on Carondelet @ Girod is probably the old school book depository which they've been gutting for a few months now. It was quiet for awhile after they started, but I've seen some workers there again recently.

Also, I was driving by the old Flex.... the other day and saw a realtor showing someone around. Hopefully it's picked up quickly. I'm at least glad it shut down. I don't think a bath house / swingers club is a good fit or boost for the up and coming neighborhood.
I got outbid on FLEX building...

From what i can tell (unless fingers crossed the deal falls through lol) the person is planning to do one floor of commercial , two floors of condos and a personal residence on fourth floor. There is an existing roofdeck as well!

Im currently under contract for a parcel to possibly build a small boutique hotel on(keep you guys updated as much as allowed)

Also, I know that another small hotel is being built on St Charles Avenue called The Dale. Heres a link to the streetview of property!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs...ed=0CCwQ8gEwAA

Heres the building on the block of Magazine between Girod and Julia:

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:14 AM

Convention Center Lot

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rd_will_s.html

Finally the Convention Center is studying what to do with their expansion lot that never materialized. I'm hoping for something grand. Also, renovations to Hall A should be finished December of 2012.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Finally the Convention Center is studying what to do with their expansion lot that never materialized. I'm hoping for something grand. Also, renovations to Hall A should be finished December of 2012.
A little off topic but this relates to convention center Hall A. Both Bacchus and Orpheus parades used Hall A for their parade balls. Will they go down St Joseph street and use Hall D or J like after Katrina?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:51 PM

The Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Also, I know that another small hotel is being built on St Charles Avenue called The Dale. Heres a link to the streetview of property!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs...ed=0CCwQ8gEwAA
THANK GOODNESS!!! I freaking hate seeing that vacant motel on prime St. Charles Avenue real estate....it belongs on Airline Drive...

Goodluck on Flex!

Someone's been building what appears to be a 2 story rowhome at Julia and Carondelet. They drove the piles weeks ago but started the cinderblock firewall this week. It's small, but the more small vacant lots that get built up like that the better, more continous flow. Google map (it's only the small fenced in, grassy area):

http://maps.google.com/?ll=29.946383...h&z=21&vpsrc=6

Last edited by IceCream; Oct 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM. Reason: fix quotes

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Hopefully they can work with RTA to have the Convention Center streetcar line up and running by the time something opens up on that lot. Many people already complain that they have to walk too far as it is to get to their meetings as most of them take place in the halls closer to the bridge.

I'm hoping that once they come up with a mixed-use plan for that lot, development around the power plant will finally come to fruition.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:53 PM
-

Quote:
Someone's been building what appears to be a 2 story rowhome at Julia and Carondelet. They drove the piles weeks ago but started the cinderblock firewall this week. It's small, but the more small vacant lots that get built up like that the better, more continous flow. Google map (it's only the small fenced in, grassy area):
I have a rendering of the little house at the corner. Its so cute! lol
Ill post it as soon as I can. BTW its sometimes these little buildings that are the greatest example of the rejuvenation of an area.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Hopefully they can work with RTA to have the Convention Center streetcar line up and running by the time something opens up on that lot. Many people already complain that they have to walk too far as it is to get to their meetings as most of them take place in the halls closer to the bridge.

I'm hoping that once they come up with a mixed-use plan for that lot, development around the power plant will finally come to fruition.

The convention center property is absolutely why nothing has happened yet in that area. Its isolated from things on all sides! Doesn't take an urban planner to realize that just wont work!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:12 PM

Julia @ Carondelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I have a rendering of the little house at the corner. Its so cute! lol
Ill post it as soon as I can. BTW its sometimes these little buildings that are the greatest example of the rejuvenation of an area.
What would you guess the total investment is for that property (land, construction, etc, everything)?

It's something I wouldn't mind doing someday.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:03 PM
-

Quote:
What would you guess the total investment is for that property (land, construction, etc, everything)?

It's something I wouldn't mind doing someday.
Its really hard to give you an exact amount as its sometimes just hard to find a place. Ill get you the cost for this actual building if I can find it!

Heres the permit for the little building:

Project Description:
New construction of a 3 story residence w/2 car attached garage as per plans,BZA dkt.#158/04 and HDLC C of A #:C2394.Demolition permit #04com-00528.
Job Value($):
$250,000.00

Also there is a new grocery store being built at the Corner of Mirabeau and Paris Avenue.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:49 PM

Here's the nola.com story on the airport: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...pens_conc.html

I really hope they have some adequate food there. Unfortunately the picture just looks like there's a small pre-made sandwich kiosk.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with the CVS construction at Napoleon and Claiborne? It seems like it has been stalled for months. It's now just a big new slab and the remnants of the old slab.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:02 PM

Cvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
Here's the nola.com story on the airport: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...pens_conc.html

I really hope they have some adequate food there. Unfortunately the picture just looks like there's a small pre-made sandwich kiosk.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with the CVS construction at Napoleon and Claiborne? It seems like it has been stalled for months. It's now just a big new slab and the remnants of the old slab.
The national contractor went into bankruptcy but CVS is currently reassigning the contract to another company to continue the work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations