HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 3:09 PM

So is New Leaf actually flying now?

(Make sure to go back one page, to my last post, for some news).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 3:32 PM

^ They plan to take off July 25.

Interesting that NewLeaf wants to go head to head with AC/WS on the YWG-YEG route. $100 each way is what I remember paying back in my student days when I lived in Edmonton... back then it was ZIP and I think Jetsgo that were driving the prices down.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:24 PM

Trouble for the Brandon-Toronto route? Westjet says demand is slow and below expectations...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...soft-1.3686173

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:13 PM

^Go figure.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^Go figure.
Yeah you think there would be hundred of people flying Brandon to Toronto each year!

Is NewLeaf going to anything but make announcements or is it just a paper airline?

Last edited by rrskylar; Jul 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Is NewLeaf going to anything but make announcements or is it just a paper airline?
I guess we'll find out soon enough... aren't they scheduled to start flying this weekend?

Some nice deals out there for sure... Edmonton return for $198 all in on Thursdays and Sundays. Cheaper than driving.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:52 PM

WestJet is also offering $200 Roundtrip flights to Edmonton from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
WestJet is also offering $200 Roundtrip flights to Edmonton from Winnipeg.
I notice that unlike the last time NewLeaf was selling tickets, this time WS is only matching prices on the days when NewLeaf is operating.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:27 PM

I still maintain a Q400 from Brandon to Thunder Bay and then Toronto would have been the smart call. Set it up so it is a gate stop in Thunder Bay without the Brandon passengers needing to leave the plan. Yeah it will add to the overall flight time but the added stop in Thunder Bay and the smaller plane would take some pressure off on the passenger load counts.

Supporting the frequent 737 flights between Brandon and Pearson though has to be hurting YWG. It is also similar to how we often talk about wanting YWG to have direct flights to more US hub cities. The passenger count from YWG to those places just doesn't support the level of service, same with this Brandon route.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:28 PM

^ It's 4 lightly-loaded 737s a week, I doubt it's hitting YWG that hard.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:46 PM
There is always a way

Anyone know what numbers look like through June?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Some nice deals out there for sure... Edmonton return for $198 all in on Thursdays and Sundays. Cheaper than driving.
All in with the notable exception of luggage.... anything bigger than a purse carryon is $31 each way.... so as long as you don't need to change clothes its a good deal

Also if you don't "pre-book" the carryon, it's $42 at the airport... I'd buy a ticket just to sit and watch the fireworks at the gate on that first flight

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
All in with the notable exception of luggage.... anything bigger than a purse carryon is $31 each way.... so as long as you don't need to change clothes its a good deal

Also if you don't "pre-book" the carryon, it's $42 at the airport... I'd buy a ticket just to sit and watch the fireworks at the gate on that first flight
Yeah, but unless you're flying on a premium ticket or have status with an airline you're paying for a checked bag either way so it's moot. NewLeaf charges $26.25 for checked bags (at time of booking) which is in line with what the other carriers charge.

I guess if you're used to never checking a bad then it's not ideal, but I can live with it... especially at those prices.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:43 PM

Also you could easily fit the contents of two of the larger carryons into a single checked bag so if you are travelling as a couple not a big deal as you only need to pay a single checked bag fee. Did that when we went to Hawaii.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:

and it's $84-92 for a carry-on bag at the gate.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
and it's $84-92 for a carry-on bag at the gate.
Are we talking about people trying to pass off a bag larger than the carry on size limit? I absolutely hate when people have these huge ass bags they try for 5 minutes to cram them in the overhead bins until finally a flight attendant tells them the bag needs to go below. It slows down the whole boarding process. Passengers have multiple chances to check their bags.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The airlines have created this problem themselves by charging to check bags.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
Are we talking about people trying to pass off a bag larger than the carry on size limit? I absolutely hate when people have these huge ass bags they try for 5 minutes to cram them in the overhead bins until finally a flight attendant tells them the bag needs to go below. It slows down the whole boarding process. Passengers have multiple chances to check their bags.
You mean pilots? lol Massive carry ons that barely fit. Recent flight, one pilot was moving and had to bring a sample of his hardwood flooring along.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, but unless you're flying on a premium ticket or have status with an airline you're paying for a checked bag either way so it's moot. NewLeaf charges $26.25 for checked bags (at time of booking) which is in line with what the other carriers charge.

I guess if you're used to never checking a bad then it's not ideal, but I can live with it... especially at those prices.
It's not moot... this is for CARRY ON. *Many* people travel with a carryon alone and no other airline (yet) charges for that.

With New Leaf, it's an extra $50-60 just to bring *anything*... and I suspect that will apply to 99% of passengers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
It's not moot... this is for CARRY ON. *Many* people travel with a carryon alone and no other airline (yet) charges for that.

With New Leaf, it's an extra $50-60 just to bring *anything*... and I suspect that will apply to 99% of passengers.
Don't forget, NewLeaf is a leisure-oriented carrier... the fact that you can't do short one/two day trips on most if not all of their routes will on its own eliminate the possibility of much business travel. So that takes out most of the carryon-only crowd right there. On the other hand, leisure travellers tend to check bags and will pay regardless of airline.

But hey, if it's a problem for you, you can get the NewLeaf price on WestJet and bring your carryon along for nothing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan