HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 6:42 PM

I tried to watch that video three times, but each time it started with a different 2-3 minute Ad that couldn't be skipped.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
Not my picture, but this angle really makes Austin look like a huge city, and several of the u/c towers haven’t even popped into view or topped-out yet.

Looking like Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 12:42 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

That also doesn't show anything north of 10th or 11th Street, excluding a lot of prominent buildings including the Capitol area, and the West Campus/University towers.

Austin's skyline is absolutely massive when you're flying in if you're approaching from the north, and you have a window seat looking west.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 4:17 AM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 4:54 AM
クラブトクヨ

Great pic urban!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 5:56 AM

I like the spire. They should consider doing one.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
I love this - I wish the person taping had held the camera a little more steady, but I also know how hard it is to get really good video from a car that's moving in traffic (and the driver is being respectful of other drivers).

I left Austin in 1985 so this was shot about 10 years after my departure. Outside of a few skyscrapers on or near Congress, I'm surprised at how little seems to have changed in those 10 years. By contrast, it seems like every time I visit these days I'm amazed at how much things have changed...
Funny how video cameras back then were practically the size of small microwaves and almost as heavy lol -- giant things compared to now! In the late 90s I used to have a show at ACTV (later renamed "Austin Community Access Center") and would check out their cameras for live bands, family home videos... Also casual street scenes, like during special events/holidays. Which reminds me, I need to find those!!

You're right that not much changed from the mid 80s. In fact, in seemed like there was almost no high rise development for about 15 years. I remember those beige colored twin looking buildings near ATX Tower and Sixth/Guadalupe/6G was one of the first new ones around 2000. Then of course Frost Bank in 2004. The Frost Tower was incredibly striking when it was completed. Downtown looked the same for so so long, then finally here comes a new member to the fam!

Btw, the end of that video chokes me up a bit seeing Liberty Lunch. Damn I miss that place! Seen so many great shows there!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I tried to watch that video three times, but each time it started with a different 2-3 minute Ad that couldn't be skipped.
Are you using the YT app or via web browser? Try the Brave web browser, blocks most all ads -- and all without having to download third party ones. Brave works on both phones and desktop puters.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
Not my picture, but this angle really makes Austin look like a huge city, and several of the u/c towers haven’t even popped into view or topped-out yet.

Austin looks huge from any angle now.

The skyline has blossomed very nicely and it looks more impressive than some bigger cities, including the city I currently live in.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 12:46 AM
Curlee Capital

West side of downtown

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:06 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Somehow, I disagree. Our skyline is still not quite “there” yet. There’s something about the lack of previous styles, the predominance of glass, and the small floorplates that really makes our skyline feel a touch unsubstantial. Although Waterline and The Republic will make some more strides (as well as others), to feel truly “big city” we need a few 700’+ earth toned buildings, more large floorplate behemoths, and designs that are a bit more diversified. A would add that taller buildings in West Campus (unlimited height) would also do wonders for stretching the skyline.

Beyond just a skyline though, Austin has decades worth of new highrise districts, apartment block infill, missing middle redevelopments, and suburban and exurban development before it will feel like a truly large city. I likely won’t think we feel “large” until we are well over a 5 million metropolitan area.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Dec 3, 2023 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Somehow, I disagree. Our skyline is still not quite “there” yet. There’s something about the lack of previous styles, the predominance of glass, and the small floorplates that really makes our skyline feel a touch unsubstantial. Although Waterline and The Republic will make some more strides (as well as others), to feel truly “big city” we need a few 700’+ earth toned buildings, more large floorplate behemoths, and designs that are a bit more diversified. A would add that taller buildings in West Campus (unlimited height) would also do wonders for stretching the skyline.

Beyond just a skyline though, Austin has decades worth of new highrise overlays (places like Heritage), apartment block infill, missing middle redevelopments, and suburban and exurban development before it will feel like a truly large city. I won’t consider us “large” until we are over 5 million.
I look at it another way as an outsider who has visited many times recently.

The skyline is a major work in progress. It may not be quite there yet in your eyes but the development in the last few years is nothing short of fantastic.

Look at this link of comparison photos from 2001 versus 2023. https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...139b8488b9bb15

I can point to much larger cities with puny skylines and sucky downtowns in comparison to Austin.

Phoenix just cracked the 5 million mark and leads the nation in new apartment construction, but it hasn't made anywhere near the progress Austin has.

Austin is not only a cool place to be, but it's a leader in the tech industry and new jobs with good salaries. https://www.movetoaustin.org/blog/co...-to-austin-tx/

Above is 1 of many reasons I'm moving there next year. I will be honored to be a new resident.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 2:00 AM
randalls

My man, this video is stunning. Your best work yet. Perfect time to shoot it as well between golden hour and twilight. So well done.

Have you ever considered monetizing these drone clips? You could look at Getty and FilmSupply.com. I’ve purchased many drone clips from Getty over the years, some of downtown Austin. Reality shows that shoot in Austin also purchase tons of footage like this from Getty when they need to cut to a random skyline shot. Worth looking into it because your work is getting really skillful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneetigers View Post
West side of downtown

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 7:31 AM
Curlee Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
My man, this video is stunning. Your best work yet. Perfect time to shoot it as well between golden hour and twilight. So well done.

Have you ever considered monetizing these drone clips? You could look at Getty and FilmSupply.com. I’ve purchased many drone clips from Getty over the years, some of downtown Austin. Reality shows that shoot in Austin also purchase tons of footage like this from Getty when they need to cut to a random skyline shot. Worth looking into it because your work is getting really skillful.
Thanks, dude. No, I have not thought about that. Have not really cared about making any money besides being able to monetize the youtube channel, but I need like 1000 more watch hours. I somehow have gotten 4k subscribers in last 15 days. Crazy for raw footage.

That sounds like something interesting to explore, getty, if the money is decent; however, my videos aren't "studio" ready - they're organic and sometimes rough.

With all that being said, one of my close friends since elementary school is an anchor at KXAN and said he'd edit some footage for me - not sure what there is to edit, though.

I go out and fly around maybe 4 times then pick the best video to post. I don't really spend much time thinking where I am going to take off from or how I will navigate until I am on my way downtown/in the air. I think y'all like a lot of my videos because there are not many others out there flying Austin on a regular basis...but I appreciate the love and ability to be an asset on this forum -- far from my status 25 years ago when I was an elementary school punk trolling on here.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 11:45 AM

That’s one of the highest quality drone videos I’ve ever seen.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Austin's skyline is absolutely massive when you're flying in if you're approaching from the north, and you have a window seat looking west.

From November6 flying into AUS. (Crappy phone pic)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 9:49 PM

From the Hilton Hotel

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:11 PM

Thanks for the pics from these less often seen viewpoints. One of the things I hate most about not living in Austin (any more) is my inability to see the city grow from these different perspectives...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:39 PM
World Traveler

Great shots, gillynova!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:35 AM
Curlee Capital

around

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin