HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's definitely possible, but one factor is that development of units in the collar counties is much slower, so even if the demand for growth is there, there's not necessarily enough inventory to fill it. As populations increase it's possible that NIMBYism could get even worse. This has always been a factor that also leads to continued growth and stability in the city proper.
Valid point. Although I do think there are a number of boroughs that are very primed to accommodate more mixed-use and/or transit-oriented density, and not nearly as likely to be as NIMBY as surrounding, generally much more affluent townships.

Places like Norristown, Phoenixville, Ambler, Media, Lansdowne, Lansdale, Conshohocken, Pottstown, Bristol, Bridgeport, Upper Darby, etc. are perfect examples.

Sprawling subdivisions in lower-density townships should be a thing of the past anyway. More boroughs should be marketing themselves as development-friendly to help with their "Main Street" vibrancy and tax base.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Jan 16, 2024 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:20 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's definitely possible, but one factor is that development of units in the collar counties is much slower, so even if the demand for growth is there, there's not necessarily enough inventory to fill it. As populations increase it's possible that NIMBYism could get even worse. This has always been a factor that also leads to continued growth and stability in the city proper.
I guess anything is possible (and population predictions are often incorrect), but I have zero doubt that Montco will grow more than .2% (1,748 people) in 26 years. From 2000 - 2022 Montco grew 14% (~114,600 people). Even if the growth rates plummet in the next 26 years, the county would still be well over the prediction in that article.

And to your point about NIMBYism, Montco is the only suburban county that has somewhat embraced the development bug, which works in its favor going forward.

I guess we can revisit this in 2050.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:31 PM

My daughter and I were in and around the RTM on Saturday. Coming in on Arch towards a parking garage I noticed a good amount of foot traffic around Chinatown (the inside of the RTM was packed). Then it occurred to me that the car show was going on. I'm not a car show guy so it's never on my calendar.
With that said, I just heard an official from the car show say that they will draw over 175K visitors for the show. Now, I realize that the weekends carry the bulk of the crowds but if that number is accurate then that's an average of about 18,000 people per day. The flower show is even more popular.

Wouldn't that be about the size of a Sixers crowd at this new arena? I guess a case can be made that those 18K aren't all funneling in simultaneously for a specific start time.

Obviously the RTM would be closed by the time most games start at 7:00P.

I dunno, it's not my neighborhood so it's easy for me to speak. I just feel like I'm missing something in the argument of the opposition. I guess I'm thinking specifically about the traffic jam argument.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:16 PM
Chris

Not in CC or U City, but a sizeable hotel is planned for the Navy Yard, and will operate under the Hyatt "Unbound" flag. (Similar to an Autograph by Marriott).

Developers detail name, brand and timeline for 223-key luxury hotel at Navy Yard

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...le-mosaic.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Not in CC or U City, but a sizeable hotel is planned for the Navy Yard, and will operate under the Hyatt "Unbound" flag. (Similar to an Autograph by Marriott).

Developers detail name, brand and timeline for 223-key luxury hotel at Navy Yard

That's pretty cool. With the new housing development and this hotel, it will start to feel like a neighborhood. I could see myself going to the hotel there in the summer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
My daughter and I were in and around the RTM on Saturday. Coming in on Arch towards a parking garage I noticed a good amount of foot traffic around Chinatown (the inside of the RTM was packed). Then it occurred to me that the car show was going on. I'm not a car show guy so it's never on my calendar.
With that said, I just heard an official from the car show say that they will draw over 175K visitors for the show. Now, I realize that the weekends carry the bulk of the crowds but if that number is accurate then that's an average of about 18,000 people per day. The flower show is even more popular.

Wouldn't that be about the size of a Sixers crowd at this new arena? I guess a case can be made that those 18K aren't all funneling in simultaneously for a specific start time.

Obviously the RTM would be closed by the time most games start at 7:00P.

I dunno, it's not my neighborhood so it's easy for me to speak. I just feel like I'm missing something in the argument of the opposition. I guess I'm thinking specifically about the traffic jam argument.
yeah a game is a lot different. First of all, people are coming to the auto show over the course of many hours since its open from like 10-9pm on weekends. Secondly, those that want to take public transportation
and only do so occasionally are less fearful of doing so in the morning vs for a 7:30pm sixers game. Also the convention center is so large that there are several major entrances up to 3 blocks apart so you do not have 18k people converging at one or two corners for an event that has a set start time. This isn't to say people wouldnt adjust to sixers arena, but large events at the convention center are different. Even if you throw in conferences, they are not the same because 90% of the people attending are staying in nearby hotels and can walk to the conference.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Wow that's awesome, it's such a beautiful building. Ugh just extend the BSL to the Navy Yard already. I think overnight it would become a really desirable neighborhood for people who want to live in the city but don't want the full dense big city experience. The Navy Yard is weirdly one of the better maintained areas in all of Philly. Sidewalks, street trees, parks, underground powerlines, intersection bump outs and super clean (obviously the cleanliness is because no one actually lives there). The new and old architecture are both great.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Wow that's awesome, it's such a beautiful building. Ugh just extend the BSL to the Navy Yard already. I think overnight it would become a really desirable neighborhood for people who want to live in the city but don't want the full dense big city experience. The Navy Yard is weirdly one of the better maintained areas in all of Philly. Sidewalks, street trees, parks, underground powerlines, intersection bump outs and super clean (obviously the cleanliness is because no one actually lives there). The new and old architecture are both great.

the hotel looks good, unfortunately the article says groundbreaking isnt until Q4 of this year- hopefully it actually happens.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
the hotel looks good, unfortunately the article says groundbreaking isnt until Q4 of this year- hopefully it actually happens.
It's gonna be a tight schedule if they want it open by the world cup too.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:16 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
It's gonna be a tight schedule if they want it open by the world cup too.
Keep in mind this is largely an adaptive reuse of an existing barracks building. I believe some interior work is already underway from what I’ve seen riding past it.
The Waylen will span a total of 237,000 square feet. Ensemble/Mosaic plans to build an addition at the back of the 155,000-square-foot, U-shaped building to create an enclosed, half-acre courtyard for the hotel.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 2:35 PM
build awesome buildings

a quick update on 2300 Market, with some nice shots of the construction work for the overbuild:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2dX9l7pr6l/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:38 PM

Is the Jaan Center actually under construction? Surely this has to be a typo, the article says opening April 2024.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...5BrnwSYhF1cFVI

https://www.genesiscapital.co/long-t...developments/2

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Is the Jaan Center actually under construction? Surely this has to be a typo, the article says opening April 2024.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...5BrnwSYhF1cFVI

https://www.genesiscapital.co/long-t...developments/2
Not under construction. Everyone's favorite neighborhood association in Chinatown put the kibosh on this because they didn't think it fit into their vision of the community. Apparently, the trash strewn parkin lot fits perfectly.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Not under construction. Everyone's favorite neighborhood association in Chinatown put the kibosh on this because they didn't think it fit into their vision of the community. Apparently, the trash strewn parkin lot fits perfectly.
Want to share where you saw that?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Want to share where you saw that?
It was in the "76 place" thread. Someone quoted the CEO of a neighborhood assn in an interview in the Philly Biz Journal.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:37 PM

Construction Underway at 18th & Washington, After Staggering Delays

Quote:
Waaaaay back in 2011, we asked you to take a gander at 1731 Washington Ave., a stubby industrial building that was home to a commercial window and door business. At the time, we were extremely excited to share the news that the building would get demoed and replaced by a four-story mixed-use building with ground-floor retail and 15 apartments.

Well well well, this thing is finally moving forward. Plans have changed slightly, as the project will now entail 18 apartments and 20 parking spots, most of which will live in the basement. On the first floor, look for a 4700 sqft restaurant space with frontage on Washington Avenue.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...gering-delays/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:40 PM

Rivermark Northern Liberties Completely Changing Former Festival Pier

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...festival-pier/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:41 PM

700-30 N. Delaware Avenue update from Naked Philly

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...festival-pier/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:46 PM

A Modern Transit-Oriented Development Joins the Mix Near Broad & Girard

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-broad-girard/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:47 PM

Broad & Girard updates from Naked Philly

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-broad-girard/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development