HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
New rendering

Old rendering
Noooooo, the original rendering was so much better!! What an unfortunate downgrade.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
There's a discrepancy in this article.

Quote:
The project at 650 West Peachtree St. includes 1.3 million square feet of office space and about 12,000 square feet for retail space
and then

Quote:
The two-tower project would include approximately 856,000 square feet of office space, a 14,000-square-foot childcare center with a 3,600-square-foot outdoor play area.
Could it be that the Norfolk HQ is 856,000 square feet with the remaining 400,000 square feet being spec?
If that is true then there is a great chance that this will include a skyline changing tower.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Noooooo, the original rendering was so much better!! What an unfortunate downgrade.
I actually think it’s better.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I actually think it’s better.
Interesting. Any particular reason why? I could not disagree more. IMO, the new rendering is rather generic, meanwhile the original is distinguishable and evokes a sense of style and place. I could even argue the old rendering is more interesting than J5's design.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Any particular reason why? I could not disagree more. IMO, the new rendering is rather generic, meanwhile the original is distinguishable and evokes a sense of style and place. I could even argue the old rendering is more interesting than J5's design.
I really like the glass balconies on the new rendering.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I really like the glass balconies on the new rendering.
Not sure, but from my perspective it appears the new renderings don't include glass balconies (they closely resemble the middle unit balconies from the older rendering), meanwhile the old rendering corner units clearly depicted glass balconies. Again, just what it appears to me.

I enjoyed how the original rendering seemed to have more privacy for each unit's balcony, how well the various materials appeared to seamlessly transition between the facades (and variations of insets and pop-outs among each facade), greater window presence, tiered back end into the SFH neighborhood, and how the materials appeared to be warmer/more inviting than the heavy gray on the newer rendering.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure, but from my perspective it appears the new renderings don't include glass balconies (they closely resemble the middle unit balconies from the older rendering), meanwhile the old rendering corner units clearly depicted glass balconies. Again, just what it appears to me.

I enjoyed how the original rendering seemed to have more privacy for each unit's balcony, how well the various materials appeared to seamlessly transition between the facades (and variations of insets and pop-outs among each facade), greater window presence, tiered back end into the SFH neighborhood, and how the materials appeared to be warmer/more inviting than the heavy gray on the newer rendering.
Maybe it’s not clear to me which rendering is the new one and which is the old.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 7:57 PM

New Rendering (gray and brick design):

Old Rendering (white, glass, and orange design):

All of their projects (including 126 Renaissance, Hard Rock Hotel, J5) can be found here:
http://www.dezhuus.com/projects

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 8:21 PM

what a shame. was just discussing this one and whether or not it was low-income housing. probably still not such, but aesthetically just barely average now. still, i suppose not everything can be architecturally stunning these days due to costs...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
what a shame. was just discussing this one and whether or not it was low-income housing. probably still not such, but aesthetically just barely average now. still, i suppose not everything can be architecturally stunning these days due to costs...
IMO, this project just dropped from being a model for what I'd want to see in Atlanta (had it included some retail I would have given it a solid ), to now just being an infill project that could be located anywhere in any city. Nothing special about it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 10:23 PM

I get the feeling some of you middle class yups and millennials think the lower income residents of Atlanta should just disappear and everything gentrify with Starbucks and Apple stores.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 11:58 PM

Ok, in my view in the original post the image of the original rendering did not show up. Now that you reposted it, I agree that it’s not as interesting as the original version. It I still think it’s nice, especially with the dark brick.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I get the feeling some of you middle class yups and millennials think the lower income residents of Atlanta should just disappear and everything gentrify with Starbucks and Apple stores.
Most millennials I speak to want people of all races and incomes to live in their neighborhood, have access to the same schools/resources/public infrastructure, locally owned/run businesses, and especially local restaurants. Retail is a tossup, because a lot is just ordered online from whoever sells it the cheapest.

In general, millennials want a good quality of life for everyone and are optimist and adamant at making it happen since it is possible.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
no, not that at all for me at least. it's just that the stuff that's supposed to be nice, (and has the expensive rent along with it) is mediocre when it shouldn't be, like some of the newest stuff on pharr rd for example. (hanover east paces, alexan buckhead) there are plenty more than that.

nothing wrong with wanting design to be as good as it possibly can be, at any level.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 3:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Some say they just want stuff that's "nice," but the reality is the economic environment in America today only allows for a relatively small percentage of people with means to have access to and enjoy that "nice" stuff.

It's not any one individual or group's fault, but's a sympton of a bigger problem our country is facing caused by a culmination of factors with no easy fix, that being wealth inequality. It's almost like a new Gilded Age.

Long gone are the days when you would have poor/working class people, CEOs/celebrities and middle class professionals/laborers all being able to live amongst each other in the same neighborhoods while all enjoying the same amenities.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 6:30 AM

RE: "long gone are the days..."
When was that the case in Atlanta?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 6:29 PM

I miss the days when celebrities lived in the same neighborhood as sanitation workers. Back then, milk was a nickel and everyone said ma'am and sir.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 7:40 PM

I wish someone would take some photos of the progress at Peachtree Center's renovation.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
I miss the days when celebrities lived in the same neighborhood as sanitation workers. Back then, milk was a nickel and everyone said ma'am and sir.
Yeah, and African Americans couldn't attend white schools, people regularly died of "mysterious" illnesses we now know how to treat with (often) inexpensive drugs, and people breathed toxic air and drank poisoned water because there were no environmental regulations. The old days were not all they're cracked up to be.

Income inequality is a serious problem, but nostalgia for the past is misplaced.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
The old days were not all they're cracked up to be.

Income inequality is a serious problem, but nostalgia for the past is misplaced.
Imagine being this literal brainlet and having no sense of irony.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta