HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I think Moncton should make a (solo) bid for the Women's World Hockey Championships. I think we would be able to pull that one off with aplomb.

Maybe the next time we go after the World Juniors, we should make it a joint bid with Saint John, and try to get the Canada games and playoffs at the Avenir Centre.
I was thinking the same thing, Moncton/ Saint John could pull it off. It is too bad the Avenir Centre did not seat 10,000, I think a capacity in the five figutre range would make a big difference to the selection committee and I believe Moncton has a large eough and ngrowing population to support a building of that size.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of final pictures from the Avenir Centre from the World Juniors:

This was the scene on the plaza outside the Avenir Centre on New Years Eve immediately after the USA/Finland game in the arena had finished. Kids skating on the Ian Fowler Oval, and adults watching the subsequent Canada/Sweden game from the Scotiabank Centre in Halifax on the big screen mounted on the stage, Afterwards, there was a live band and fireworks at midnight. Food trucks were parked at the side of the plaza, there was a tent with activities, and fire pits allowed people to stay warm. The weather cooperated too!! It was all fantastic.

The Avenir Centre is the only arena in the Q with an organ (and organist), and, one of the very very few non NHL arenas in the country so equipped.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 4:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Halifax, Moncton can make another run at 2025 world juniors – and there’s interest
By Alex Cooke Global News
Posted January 10, 2023 4:50 pm
Updated January 10, 2023 6:46 pm
https://globalnews.ca/news/9400004/w...ties-bid-2025/

Quote:
“In the coming days, Hockey Canada will prepare a report which will provide all parties with a sense of the impacts of hosting and a complete overview of the event,” it said.

The statement said “a number of factors” will be considered when selecting the final host site for 2025, “including community engagement, participant experience, hosting experience, financial viability and local support.”

“Hockey Canada has returned to previous host communities within a two-year period before, and if Halifax and Moncton were interested and proposed the best hosting model Hockey Canada would consider returning in 2025,”

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 12:27 PM

As much as I'd love another world juniors here, I personally think they should wait an additional cycle to keep the event feeling as fresh as possible, but if they did get the event you can be sure I'd still get a ticket package

My personal hope is that Moncton/Halifax bids on the next available World Hockey Championships, an event where fans travel in much greater numbers from other countries compared to world juniors.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:41 PM

Per the Wildcats podcast twitter post, Moncton expected to be named the host city for the 2024 CHL Top Prospects Game.
https://twitter.com/MonctonWildcast/...56220790824960

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:55 PM

Official release from CHL
Moncton Wildcats to host 2024 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Per the Wildcats podcast twitter post, Moncton expected to be named the host city for the 2024 CHL Top Prospects Game.
https://twitter.com/MonctonWildcast/...56220790824960

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I guess I know where I'll be on January 24th.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess I know where I'll be on January 24th.
The Wildcats should have at least 1 participant in this game. Steady & smart beyond his years dman Adam Fortier-Gendron. I am sure they are hoping Gabe Smith will put in some good work in the off season and be one of the last additions to the roster. He needs to improve his skating and get some more confidence in his wrist shot, if he adds those tools he will be a dominant player in the league at 18/19.

There isn't a Bedard type that will be in this game, but none the less I am glad to see it finally come to Moncton. This isn't your typical all star game, guys are playing their assess off and the games are physical. We'll have to wait and see what Euro's come over as 17 year olds next season to see what other players may be added. I heard a rumor this was about the draft, and I'm much happier with this than getting the draft. I am 90% sure you will see a 2025 Memorial Cup bid announced in November.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From MLA Greg Turner's Facebook page:

Quote:
Congratulations to the City of Moncton Events Team and On Ice Entertainment Ltd. in landing the first ever Atlantic Slam Basketball Tournament featuring four top college teams from the United States . The tournament will run from Nov 16-19 and will feature four top teams from NCAA Division 1 , who are members of the Big South Conference.

This is a pre-season warm-up tournament for the NCAA teams, and will be the first time that such a tournament will ever have been held in Canada. NBA scouts will be in attendance. There is a good chance that one of the participating teams could be March Madness bound.

Moncton's growing reputation as a host city for major sporting events in part led to this announcement.

Ticket sales will commence in September.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 2:54 PM

Nice pickup by Moncton! Although that logo is giving me a stroke.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 4:33 PM

Quote:
[I]From MLA Greg Turner's

This is a pre-season warm-up tournament for the NCAA teams, and will be the first time that such a tournament will ever have been held in Canada. NBA scouts will be in attendance. There is a good chance that one of the participating teams could be March Madness bound.

Moncton's growing reputation as a host city for major sporting events in part led to this announcement.

Ticket sales will commence in September.
I Believe this is a big pickup for Moncton. Many US cities that do not have a big time Div 1 basketball team close by woulld love to host an event like this.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:54 AM

While not a "Power 5" conference, it should be interesting, as the Big South is usually a pretty even field (there was 5 different tournament winner in the last 5 years), so there should be pretty close match-ups through out the tournament.

If done well, it could lead to more NCAA games with bigger teams, like Laval who hosted a similar tournament, but also hosted a Duke game a few years ago.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Nice pickup by Moncton! Although that logo is giving me a stroke.
So we need a logo, yeah. Something dynamic, but local, yeah. So a basketball, big, and the Canadian flag, right, the Big South in there, somewhere, and an Atlantic Salmon. Wait, change that to: "Atlantic Slam". Right. OK, a lobster then. Brilliant. An athletic looking happy lobster - you know, smiling the way they do. Right. And heyyyy maybe the lobster is holding a banner in its claw! Right... (Graphic designer now crawling under his/her desk...)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisVillis View Post
So we need a logo, yeah. Something dynamic, but local, yeah. So a basketball, big, and the Canadian flag, right, the Big South in there, somewhere, and an Atlantic Salmon. Wait, change that to: "Atlantic Slam". Right. OK, a lobster then. Brilliant. An athletic looking happy lobster - you know, smiling the way they do. Right. And heyyyy maybe the lobster is holding a banner in its claw! Right... (Graphic designer now crawling under his/her desk...)

Here's my attempt to simplify things. Doesn't give me a headache to look at it at least.

Edit: Added detail to the claws

Last edited by David_99; Apr 3, 2023 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:

Here's my attempt to simplify things. Doesn't give me a headache to look at it at least.
That’s so much better!! You’re a solid logo designer. Are you a graphic designer?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
That’s so much better!! You’re a solid logo designer. Are you a graphic designer?
Yep yep. I just did a quick qoogle search of what Big South used in the past. Didn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very nice logo David - my eyes have stopped bleeding and the seizure activity is going away. Good stuff!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:15 PM

Quote:

Thumbs up to that!

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:17 PM

Tentative hosting schedule for the World Juniors

2024 Sweden (Gothenburg)
2025 Canada
2026 USA
2027 Canada
2028 Finland
2029 Czech
2030 Canada
2031 USA
2032 Russia
2033 Canada

Ontario will definitely try to get them in 2025 (the last time was the Toronto/Montreal in 2017), or maybe Quebec/Trois-Rivères (given the success of the Rempart during the playoff), then the Prairies for sure in 2027 and then BC in 2030 (theres a small pattern of them doing West and BC back to back editions), which open 2033 for a bid in the East Coast.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Tentative hosting schedule for the World Juniors

2024 Sweden (Gothenburg)
2025 Canada
2026 USA
2027 Canada
2028 Finland
2029 Czech
2030 Canada
2031 USA
2032 Russia
2033 Canada

Ontario will definitely try to get them in 2025 (the last time was the Toronto/Montreal in 2017), or maybe Quebec/Trois-Rivères (given the success of the Rempart during the playoff), then the Prairies for sure in 2027 and then BC in 2030 (theres a small pattern of them doing West and BC back to back editions), which open 2033 for a bid in the East Coast.
Maybe we’ll get them in 2032 like we didn’t this year haha.

All jokes aside, I’d love to see Moncton host again, but any Moncton bid almost certainly would be accompanied by Halifax.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces