HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:29 PM

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/10/c...al/#more-12138

Costco's Midcity plans appear to be moving forward. They seems pretty serious about this, so we may see an opening in a little over a year!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:05 PM
-

Something new on bidclerk today:

[New project.] 1688653 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential 10/11/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a residential development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing school building to house 28 apartment units, as well as the construction of a three-story, 97-unit apartment bu...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Something new on bidclerk today:

[New project.] 1688653 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential 10/11/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a residential development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing school building to house 28 apartment units, as well as the construction of a three-story, 97-unit apartment bu...Click here for complete Project Details
Could that be the old Holy Cross campus in the Lower 9th Ward?

On an unrelated note, an article back in July about the renovations of the Joy Theater had a sentence about development at the abandoned Jung Hotel next door. Since then, I haven't read, heard, or found anything about that. Does anyone know what will happen to it? It's a massive property. It basically takes up the 1500 block of Canal Street.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:35 PM
-

11COM-01454

Permit for Theatre in the Healing Center

Commercial Change of Use

Work Location
2372 ST CLAUDE AVE
1B
NEW ORLEANS LA 70117

CARL E WOODWARD
CARL E WOODWARD LLC
P O BOX 13547
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70185

COM_BUILDING
Existing use: Shell Only - No Use and Occupancy
Proposed Use: Theater - Live Entertainment
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Floors: 4
Legal Description:
SQ 370 LOT X THRU E 123/VAR X 309/VAR ST CLAUDE AVE AND ST ROCH AV (SQ PLAN ON FILE) 1/LARGE/BRICK C/BLOCK BLDGSTORE 2 + 3 STORIES T/R

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:53 PM

Mid-City Market

I didn't see these renderings posted before. Anyone know the status of the development? I thought they were supposed to break ground this month.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:43 AM

Nevermind: Mid-City Market Update

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Just one question... is there not a Verizon store already, across the street? I know there's a cell store of some type.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
I know most of these tenants have surfaced in this forum in the past, but this seems like such a positive development for the area.

It also seems like a number of chains are finally willing to take their chances on the New Orleans market. I believe Pei Wei would be new. Five Guys has a location on the Northshore, but that's new. Pinkberry is clearly seeing success in the market if they're looking to expand to mid-city. Costco is making plans and Fresh Market is under construction.

Is it just me, or is that real momentum? I realize that this city has never really supported the arrival of outside chains, but it seems like something might have changed. What is it, or am I just looking at too small of a sample size?

Last edited by UPT; Oct 12, 2011 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
I know most of these tenants have surfaced in this forum in the past, but this seems like such a positive development for the area.

It also seems like a number of chains are finally willing to take their chances on the New Orleans market. I believe Pei Wei would be new. Five Guys has a location on the Northshore, but that's new. Pinkberry is clearly seeing success in the market if they're looking to expand to mid-city. Costco is making plans and Fresh Market is under construction.

Is it just me, or is that real momentum. I realize that this city has never really supported the arrival of outside chains, but it seems like something might have changed. What is it, or am I just looking at too small of a sample size?
There's a new population of people, including transplants. That may be the reason.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:00 AM
-

Its probably the result of several changes:

1 new transplants
2 availability of parcels because of Katrina
3.renewed focus on urban areas nationwide since the burbs have been saturated
4. younger folks who are making cities their homes
5. New Orleans is considered a safer investment these days
6. This is somewhat subjective( but I feel like there is a general change in views towards chains in that not all chains are bad... some stores are good to have... especially if people in the city still shop at them only to have the potential tax revenues go to out of town goverments)
7. This is to me the biggest reason : commercial corridors that werent viable pre katrina are now looked at as attractive and viable... many of these new corridors are outside the nimby areas of the French Quarter and Uptown so there is generally less resistance to development. Mix this with Chain Stores willing to design stores that fit in better with their surroundings

Just some thoughts!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Just one question... is there not a Verizon store already, across the street? I know there's a cell store of some type.
It isn't a authorized Verizon store. I can't remember the name but is the same as the one uptown. I don't think there is an authorized store in Orleans as i looked on the website last week when my phone malfunctioned.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:31 PM
-

Another bidclerk item for University Medical Center!

1056719 New Orleans, LA Educational, Medical 10/11/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a medical facility in New Orleans. Working plans call for the construction of a 560,000-square-foot, 424-bed hospital, ,982-square-foot diagnostic and treatment center, 254,765-square-foot ambulatory care building, a

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
There's a new population of people, including transplants. That may be the reason.
As I am a huge preservationist...and love to support small business when I can, I do welcome these national retailers into New Orleans. Frankly, 99% of my purchases that are non food, either go directly to Jefferson Parish or over the web. That's lost tax money for New Orleans...and I know when I need a computer, DVDs, jeans, work clothes, sweaters, etc...anything that is considered "normal" retail...I go to Lakeside or Clearview.

Art, antiques and $200 knit tshirt dresses are not what most people need on a regular basis.

(Of course I'm from Atlanta and though I've lived here 5 years, my opinion my not be worth quite as much as an insular myopic townie)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 9:17 PM
TL;DR

I wish there were places to buy decent cheap clothes... so far, the only place in the city I can go to is American Apparel. H&M or Zara would be awesome. Or Kohl's. (Northshore businesses are not an option for me)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I wish there were places to buy decent cheap clothes... so far, the only place in the city I can go to is American Apparel. H&M or Zara would be awesome. Or Kohl's. (Northshore businesses are not an option for me)
We have Zara. They serve good po-boys.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
We have Zara. They serve good po-boys.

You have no idea how many times that Zara poboys teased me when I was googling the clothing store. I was like what we have one lol

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 12:13 AM
TL;DR

I actually go to Zara's for coffee usually... their coffee is nearly as good as Whole Foods for half the price.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its probably the result of several changes:

1 new transplants
2 availability of parcels because of Katrina
3.renewed focus on urban areas nationwide since the burbs have been saturated
4. younger folks who are making cities their homes
5. New Orleans is considered a safer investment these days
6. This is somewhat subjective( but I feel like there is a general change in views towards chains in that not all chains are bad... some stores are good to have... especially if people in the city still shop at them only to have the potential tax revenues go to out of town goverments)
7. This is to me the biggest reason : commercial corridors that werent viable pre katrina are now looked at as attractive and viable... many of these new corridors are outside the nimby areas of the French Quarter and Uptown so there is generally less resistance to development. Mix this with Chain Stores willing to design stores that fit in better with their surroundings

Just some thoughts!
Not to mention there are now several locals who have spent up to a year are more in cities like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Baton Rouge, etc. who are no longer as hostile toward chains as they once were.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Not to mention there are now several locals who have spent up to a year are more in cities like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Baton Rouge, etc. who are no longer as hostile toward chains as they once were
This is very true. I have friends that stayed in the Memphis area after Katrina for a good 10 months before they could move back home. They ended up shopping at the chain stores...and now miss the low prices and easy access to goods provided by these stores.

You also have the new transplants moving in that only know chain stores. A new employee at my office moved here from Denver and decided to rent in the Mid-City area. He's already noticed the dearth of chains in New Orleans and the metro area in general.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:50 AM

Seabrook Floodgate

Here's the latest images from the Seabrook Floodgate project along the Industrial Canal where it meets Lake Pontchartrain:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations