HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:36 PM

Your posts make me avoid this thread just letting you know wespidal and I'm a person who believes in a 25 000 permanent seat facility with temporary up to 50 000 for Grey Cups
I just hate the my way or the highway approach it doesn't work in a democratic setting, you need to compromise like the people who don't want this built are going to have to do.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:43 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Hahaha! I wonder if we are focusing on the wrong things here? If someone proposes a Stadium which allows for public vegetable gardens and Chicken coups than it might stand a chance.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Your posts make me avoid this thread just letting you know wespidal and I'm a person who believes in a 25 000 permanent seat facility with temporary up to 50 000 for Grey Cups
I just hate the my way or the highway approach it doesn't work in a democratic setting, you need to compromise like the people who don't want this built are going to have to do.
I have to agree - that attitude totally turns me off to this part of the forum. It's about compromise and figuring out what is best for the City.

How many times have we (a number of us) said we're all for 25,000 seats and expandable, yet we seem to be put in the 'mickey mouse camp'? WTF? Seriously?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I have to agree - that attitude totally turns me off to this part of the forum. It's about compromise and figuring out what is best for the City.

How many times have we (a number of us) said we're all for 25,000 seats and expandable, yet we seem to be put in the 'mickey mouse camp'? WTF? Seriously?
LOL I'm not even sure who he's talking about. I'm pretty sure most of us have stated 25,000. I don't see anyone posting on here religiously that they must have a mickey mouse stadium.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:32 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
LOL I'm not even sure who he's talking about. I'm pretty sure most of us have stated 25,000. I don't see anyone posting on here religiously that they must have a mickey mouse stadium.

Great picture. But you have just given the anti-stadium people an idea.

I like the white elephant and Mickey Mouse. But having Mickey Mouse and a white elephant seems like a juxtaposition. Based on arguments in this thread, a Mickey Mouse stadium is cheap and a white elephant would be an extravagant, seldom used facility .

What stadium are they protesting?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Great picture. But you have just given the anti-stadium people an idea.

I like the white elephant and Mickey Mouse. But having Mickey Mouse and a white elephant seems like a juxtaposition. Based on arguments in this thread, a Mickey Mouse stadium is cheap and a white elephant would be an extravagant, seldom used facility .

What stadium are they protesting?
Yeah sorry I saw the picture and couldn't resist.

http://www.gasp-no.org/stadium.php
http://blog.gasp-no.org/

Warning, I may have to delete this post, so as not to give certain people ideas...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Until there are users who regularly need it, why expand the Metro Centre? Even TCL, who operate the place, concede they don't need more than a couple thousand more seats. Go to a Rainmen or Moosehead game and tell me we need more seats!

From an event perspective, this town is horrible at buying advance tickets, in part because with all our already oversized venues, people know that there are likely to be tickets the day before or day of shows. A bigger arena would make that worse.

I think HMC has 15-25 years left in it, with a mid life refit sometime in the next few years.
In all fairness the Metro Centre is a dump. People are leary of buying tickets after an event has been on sale for a while because they might get stuck in the no sightline upper bowl. The upper bowl was sacrificed for sky box revenue. All of the seats with a compromsed view should be a different colour and go for $5 a pop.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 11:42 PM
Salty Town

Double post..........

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 11:44 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

I'm not sure but I think the one on the left is wespidel?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:33 AM
BANNED

Sorry for typing so fast that I can`t think what I`m typing. We all have done it!

I meant to to say nobody gets it and really nobody does especially the ignorant clowns that will sit in their mickey mouse stadium they want Halifax to build so much and maybe they can dress up in a mickey mouse costum to suit their ignorance and their awful personalities. I`m done with all you clowns for good and yes those mickey pictures resemble all of you ignorant people. This is the most discussing and disrespectful site on the net and all of you clowns are a disgrace to our city and region.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:05 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
I meant to to say nobody gets it and really nobody does especially the ignorant clowns that will sit in their mickey mouse stadium they want Halifax to build so much and maybe they can dress up in a mickey mouse costum to suit their ignorance and their awful personalities. I`m done with all you clowns for good and yes those mickey pictures resemble all of you ignorant people. This is the most discussing and disrespectful site on the net and all of you clowns are a disgrace to our city and region.
We all get it! Are you so rich that you can't understand that the municipality and province must be conscientious with the taxpayer's money?

If the HRM and province decide that they can't afford to build a 20,000 - 25,000 permanent seat stadium that is suitable for the CFL then I will be just as disappointed as anyone else. But if they are able to build a 15,000 permanent seat stadium then that will be a big step in the right direction (obviously better than 10,000 seats).

It took me 12 years before I could afford a house that I was happy with. Before that I had smaller homes and gradually moved up to an average size house. So I can relate on my own simpler, less costly terms to what the municipality is attempting, and applaud them for their efforts.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:16 AM

Quote:
I've reached a point where I can't understand what you don't get about what we're saying...it's one thing to disagree (I disagree with a lot of people on here all the time), but I try not to lecture them. Your acting like a child that needs to go to his room. It's called being realistic.

Would I love to see HRM build the most fantastic stadium - sure. But I'm realistic - not only is there no sure team on the horizon, the Province and the City are in financially uncertain times. If you think that anyone on HRM council is going to stick their neck out to suggest a $90+ million stadium you need to really stop drinking whatever it is you are drinking. With an election coming; it will never happen, period.

Part of this exercise is realizing what we'd like to have and what we can afford to have. Many have said that part of the design can be to include expansion (I believe fenwick pointed out the example in New Orleans was it?)...someone help me out here. They are on their 10th expansion to 100,000 seats...they built it in stages, as the market and the team that used it grew. Why can't Halifax do that? The only issue is what is a good starting number...

I have to agree with fenwick on his post - where it takes time to get what you can afford. The HRM credit card is getting up there and to simply tax people more to build it; just doesn't cut it now a days. If you can't see the reality of the situation, which myself, Fenwick and a whole host of others keep trying to point out...then I give up. But don't be surprised that if it gets approved a new council comes in after the election and cancels it. I've worked as a planner long enough to have seen it many times...not only on a Municipal level but Provincial and Federal. Need I point out Mr. Chretien and the helicopter replacement program as an example...

We may not be in a dire situation like Toronto being 700+ million $ in the hole with little to nothing to cut to reduce expenses...but HRM/Nova Scotia aren't flushed with cash that they can just go throwing around. If it means we have to start out with something small and work our way up...so be it. If it means that we start out at 25K because corporations jump on board, even better...but I certainly won't sit here and except that I or anyone else who has been realistic are a disgrace to anything.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Dude, the only one freaking out here is you. So chill your bird eh?

I've been reading the thread A LOT and as someone from outside the city my feeling toward the stadium are this:

1. They need to do it right, build a stadium which would be easily expandable for a CFL franchise. To me that would be a 15000-18000 seat stadium with room for expansion to 25000+.

2. Make sure it is in a location with easy access. Such as the Dartmouth Crossing area, Shannon Park, etc.

3. Transportation links is are a must. Bus, ferry, whatever.

Another thing for me, if the provincial government does get involved of course your going to have whiners from rural areas. That is what the rest of NS does best lol. The way I think about it tho is that Halifax has the the main part of our population..... so of course they are going to get more funding for projects... I mean come on suck it up.

Anyways just what I think. Feedback would be nice. Maybe I am missing some things here.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:58 AM

While I don't like the idea of starting in the 15 to 18k range (I'd be happier with 20k and then upward); we have to build within our financial ability. If the Province doesn't get on board; that may be no stadium at all (especially if the feds don't get involved).

I think it's too soon to say until we hear things from Private companies getting on board with either getting a franchise or sponsorship.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:11 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Part of this exercise is realizing what we'd like to have and what we can afford to have. Many have said that part of the design can be to include expansion (I believe fenwick pointed out the example in New Orleans was it?)...someone help me out here. They are on their 10th expansion to 100,000 seats...they built it in stages, as the market and the team that used it grew. Why can't Halifax do that? The only issue is what is a good starting number...
I remember hearing about the stadium that you refer to, but I forget who posted the information or the exact details. However, it has been done many times including several examples in Canada - Calgary's McMahon Stadium started at 22,000 seats and expanded to about 36,000, Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium started at 40,000 and expanded to 60,000, Montreal's Percival Molson Stadium was recently about 20,000 and was expanded to about 25,000, and Regina's Mosaic Stadium has been expanded several times.

I think that for the 2nd phase study, a 20,000 - 25,000 permanent seat, economy-style stadium should be designed (which is expandable even further). Then if sufficient funding can't be obtained reduce the size and cost.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It took me 12 years before I could afford a house that I was happy with. Before that I had smaller homes and gradually moved up to an average size house. So I can relate on my own simpler, less costly terms to what the municipality is attempting, and applaud them for their efforts.
Or to put it another way, again drawing from personal experience, I now have a house and property which is too large for my current needs. This will be even worse in two years time when my last child leaves for university. Maintenance is a pain in the ass and the cost of upkeep is aggravating. I feel a little trapped. In retrospect I might have done things differently.

You don't really want Halifax to be in the same situation do you?

Don't go whole hog all at once. Build incrementally only as needed but be smarter about it than Moncton. Make sure your facility is sized appropriately and has all the needed amenities such as permanent washrooms. concessions and corporate boxes. Make sure your facility is easily expandable. Start at 15k then work towards 25k when the business case justifies it. Leave room in the end zones for bleachers to bring the capacity up to 40k. There's nothing wrong with this approach and it would be easier to sell to the politicians.

Nobody wants a white elephant.....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:35 PM
BANNED

No brains here except for a few!

Your argument about cost is not valid, period and it is rather stupid! If you are so right and by the way, you don`t even pay taxes here so you have no say in the matter, then why is Halifax and the province spending 112 million on a unpopular convention centre, 60 million on a library, 100 million on a 4-pad and Canada Games Centre, 90 million, which will double or more on LED lights, potientally 30 million plus to renovate the old Dart. Sportsplex which is in the making and on and on! So you people that say they can`t afford to build a 25 thousand permanent seat CFL model stadium, are all out to lunch and are partly the reason why they are building such a small unsuitable 10 thousand permanent seat embarrassing tiny, little, dinky stadium.

I`m glad you are all so exciting about your tiny, little, dinky facility, which will seat all of you clowns in your mickey mouse costumes which will match all your small minds and the size of the stadium perfectly.

Listen you people, that are all so happy about your mickey mouse facility! You all lack vision and have no business sense and are living in the pass, which equals the steering committee`s vision and city council`s negativity and Dexter`s total disinterest to support the project. Maybe that`s why you are all so satisfied with your mickey mouse 10 thousand permanent seat stadium becuase you are all the same, mickey mouse cousins!.

Anyway enough of this non-productive site and the cetain people here that are only out to promote a mickey mouse 10 thousand permanent seat stadium. To the people on here that actually have some vision and a brain and aren`t brainless! Keep supporting what is the right and keep voicing your most intelligent opinions and the most obvious choice, and that is to build a real stadium and not an embarrassing eyesore that actually will be name called by the rest of Canada. Hey, have you seen Halifax`s new mickey mouse stadium and their mickey mouse fans that you can hardly see sitting in their mickey mouse seats! Wow!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:40 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sorry, but your feminist studies tuition is subsidized by the oil sands, clear cutting, maybe even seal clubbing.
I seriously almost had coffee come out my nose when I read that!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:42 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Your argument about cost is not valid, period and it is rather stupid! If you are so right and by the way, you don`t even pay taxes here so you have no say in the matter, then why is Halifax and the province spending 112 million on a unpopular convention centre, 60 million on a library, 100 million on a 4-pad and Canada Games Centre, 90 million, which will double or more on LED lights, potientally 30 million plus to renovate the old Dart. Sportsplex which is in the making and on and on! So you people that say they can`t afford to build a 25 thousand permanent seat CFL model stadium, are all out to lunch and are partly the reason why they are building such a small unsuitable 10 thousand permanent seat embarrassing tiny, little, dinky stadium.

I`m glad you are all so exciting about your tiny, little, dinky facility, which will seat all of you clowns in your mickey mouse costumes which will match all your small minds and the size of the stadium perfectly.

Listen you people, that are all so happy about your mickey mouse facility! You all lack vision and have no business sense and are living in the pass, which equals the steering committee`s vision and city council`s negativity and Dexter`s total disinterest to support the project. Maybe that`s why you are all so satisfied with your mickey mouse 10 thousand permanent seat stadium becuase you are all the same, mickey mouse cousins!.

Anyway enough of this non-productive site and the cetain people here that are only out to promote a mickey mouse 10 thousand permanent seat stadium. To the people on here that actually have some vision and a brain and aren`t brainless! Keep supporting what is the right and keep voicing your most intelligent opinions and the most obvious choice, and that is to build a real stadium and not an embarrassing eyesore that actually will be name called by the rest of Canada. Hey, have you seen Halifax`s new mickey mouse stadium and their mickey mouse fans that you can hardly see sitting in their mickey mouse seats! Wow!
Wow... that is the most juvenile asinine comment I have ever seen on here.

I guarantee that Halifaxboyns has contributed far more to the development of this city that you ever will, taxes or no taxes.

Until you can actually contribute to a debate on a topic, just go away.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna start a drinking game for every time wespidal says "Mickey Mouse"...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment