HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:57 PM

Sun is behind the hills to the west of my house now, still clear (albeit somewhat hazy) skies and 25 (humidex 33, dew point 19) at 8:30PM.

New all time record for my weather station, with a daytime high of 32.4 degrees, with a humidex of 42 and dew point of 22.

With a high of 30.1 at YYT's official weather station, this is only the second time St. John's has officially topped 30 degrees in June. The only other time was at the old downtown station, so this is also the first time that a 30 degree June day has been recorded at the airport station.

It's also only the 11th time YYT's official station has registered a 30 degree day since beginning operations in 1942. Three of those 11 days have occurred in the last 10'ish years.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:48 AM

Wasn't quite as hot as St. John's here, with a high of 29.4 and a humidex of 40.1. The low was 21.4 after thunderstorms last night.

The heatwave continues through at least Sunday and possibly until Wednesday for SW Ontario.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:34 AM
Go Chiefs!

32C with a humidex of 41 and sunny early this afternoon. We had a thunderstorm around 3PM. Another scorcher.

Low this morning was 26C (humidex of 35). Absolutely unreal!
Downtown Montreal unofficial low was 26.0C. Temperature fell to 24.5C during the storm this afternoon.

The warmspot was St. Stephan, NB at 35.8C

Despite the 26.0C from this morning not holding, the 25.4C from yesterday became official, so Downtown Montreal now has the highest low this year in the country.

Warmest low was Fredericton (AAFC), NB at 24.6C.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:26 AM

Sunny, very warm, dry.

Thursday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 25 C, the low was 13 C.

Downtown Vancouver/Rupert Street/East Side, June 20 '24, my pics

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:19 PM

Currently 20 in Charlottetown with a humidex of 21. A lot cooler than yesterday at least

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

23C and sunny in Moncton at 10 AM, going up to 27C this afternoon. The oppressive humidity has lifted!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:37 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Beautiful day yesterday

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:08 PM

Mix of sun and cloud and a more seasonable 21 degrees at 1:30PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:28 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Beautiful day yesterday
There are a lot of Asian people in Vancouver ;-)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:42 PM

Currently 24 on the way up to 26 today. Looks good all weekend. Make for a very warm Game 6. Downtown they are expecting 80000

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:46 PM

Muggy & overcast at Burleigh Falls.

Spot the Heron

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:47 AM

Sunny and 29.7 with a humidex of 40. Low of 18.5 this morning. Tomorrow will be a bit warmer

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

24C with a humidex of 26 and mainly cloudy. Mild summer day after the heat wave. The models were definitely overdoing it when it comes to the heat. It ended up a lot weaker than expected.

Low of 20C this morning.

The warmspot was Lytton, BC at 33.9C.

Warmest low was Port Colborne, ON at 21.8C

Yesterday, Ridgetown, ON had a dewpoint of 25.4C at 11AM. New top mark in the country this year.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 4:23 AM

Here's an image from just a few minutes ago. Lovely summer evening in Vancouver. First full day of summer and it sure felt like it.
Very warm, dry and mostly sunny. It might have gotten even warmer if not for the light layer of hazy cloud later in the day.
I got my portable air conditioner set up today and ran it all afternoon.

Friday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 27 C (29 C w/Humidex), the low was 14 C.

English Bay Live Cam, June 21 '24

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QNfhVAAmzI

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 10:24 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's summer, baby. The annual running of the teachers has begun lol

Video Link

It's beautiful AGAIN

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jun 22, 2024 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:22 PM

Lawn got well saturated between the heavy and prolonged downpour Thursday evening and couple of showers on Friday. Don't need to water for a while.

Ribfest started at noon on Friday and rain poured down at 3 and then a little a more rain at 5 something, but then it cleared up again. Good thing we went during non peak times or there wouldn't be enough shelter for everyone under the tents. It would have been awful if Thursday's rain happened during the event.

This is the first time I've been to a ribfest in over a decade. Because I showed up early, no wait for food. Got the kids fries and ate under the tent because of the rain. Decided before leaving I should bring a pulled pork sandwich home. Joined a line with 10 people and after 5 minutes we hadn't moved. I noticed others were like that. Found the shortest line of all with 3 people ahead and it still took 10 minutes. I mean damn, I like BBQ, but how do so many people subject themselves to those kinds of wait times? And that was Friday at 6:30 after some rain. Gonna be a lot more people coming.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a rib fest currently underway on the Moncton riverfront too. Very popular.

https://rotaryribfestmoncton.ca

Currently 20C and partly cloudy in Moncton at 10 AM, going up to 25C this afternoon. Rain tomorrow.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 2:09 PM

Gotta love the comprehensive billboards they set up behind their stalls. A cool part of the BBQ and ribfest culture. And the fact that some of the vendors come from super far away. There's always one from Texas. Their hypeman was talking to me and said it took them 33 hours. And they won the best award or whatever last year. Must be worth it because that stall had the biggest line.

It would be cool to see someone do like a tiktok or youtube playlist travelling to a bunch of them across the country. There's just so many interesting looking options, even beyond your typical pulled pork/chicken, ribs, brisket, etc.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 2:37 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Ha. I thought those pictures were of the Ribfest here in Vancouver. Strange that they all fall on the same weekend, and look identical.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:34 PM

Yeah, from close up they look the same with the big billboards behind the vendors. But zooming out you realize some are in better places than others.

Oakville's is probably the least attractive location with it being the parking lot of Sheridan College. But Burlington, which has the largest in Canada, is on the lake front. I see that Moncton's is on the river.

Then you got Mississauga's at Square One/City Hall, which provides for a better background, but not scenic.

I'm sure a lot are in the city's big park space like Brampton's in Chinguacousy Park, which offers a lot of nature and activities beyond the ribfest. Same with Toronto's in Etobicoke's Centennial Park.

I just saw that Hamilton's is at Lime Ridge Mall. So not the most scenic spot, but praticual and functional.

For the places with a lot of asphalt, while it's not pretty, at least if it rains you're not slogging around in mud! And should provide a lot of parking. Burlington's is right downtown. They must run a lot of shuttle buses. Oakville's has tonnes of parking at the college and they shuttle people on a 3-4 minute ride on a stretched golf cart.

Although the ribs at these places are mouth watering, I can't afford them. I buy frozen. Most I've tried I didn't find good, so I know which ones to avoid. But surprisingly the Walmart brand are pretty good. They always go on sale for $7. And the M&M ones are bigger and fall off the bone, which the box advertises. When those go on sale for $12 I buy a few. No Frills used to sell Cobblestone which I would stock up on for $5-$7 on sale. But they stopped making them a few years ago.

When it's summer and we go to the cottage, it just feels appropriate to have BBQ. Burgers, sausages, ribs are the go-to meals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada