HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 1:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

I noticed this bottle filling station at the MU today (near the information desk). They're planning on installing a few more at Sun Devil Fitness Complex (formerly SRC) and the libraries.
Nice. I've often struggled to refill my Kleen Kanteen from water fountains or given up on that idea and bought bottled water. This seems like a good alternative. It would be great to see something similar at light rail stations.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Nice. I've often struggled to refill my Kleen Kanteen from water fountains or given up on that idea and bought bottled water. This seems like a good alternative. It would be great to see something similar at light rail stations.
That would be a fantastic idea. I often try unsuccessfully to fill my bottles at their drinking fountains, and end up with half filled bottles and wasting most of the water trying to get them filled.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:55 PM
self-important urbanista

I just submitted an idea to MyPlanPHX with links to the photo and article originally provided by MegaBass.

http://www.myplanphx.com/shaping-pho...efill-stations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXguyinOKC View Post
while in town a couple weeks ago i was surprised at how prominent the Hub and the Marriot are when viewing Tempe from I-10 and Baseline. it's very cool to see Tempe grow

agreed, as a W6 resident, the concrete grey around the sides/top of the building makes it look blah. it doesnt look finished...i cannot put my finger on it. but yes I agree.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 9:12 PM

Anyone know what's going on with the Newman Center? In November their Facebook page said they were hoping to open by Christmas. It looks like construction has come to a halt, hopefully they didn't run out of cash.

Really wish someone would do something with the old Barney's Boathouse right next door. Surprised the city of Tempe hasn't made the landowner knock down the remaining mess that's left of that place.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the Newman Center? In November their Facebook page said they were hoping to open by Christmas. It looks like construction has come to a halt, hopefully they didn't run out of cash.

Really wish someone would do something with the old Barney's Boathouse right next door. Surprised the city of Tempe hasn't made the landowner knock down the remaining mess that's left of that place.
Old Barney's is kind of in legal limbo. They started demolition without taking out any permits, so the city stopped them. Since then it was vandalized, and looks horrible. I also wish the city stepped in and tore down what is left. I much rather see an empty lot than a vandalized ruin.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Appears that way. They posted a video yesterday. Odd music choice for the video...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 5:11 PM

I found this project, not sure if it actually is getting built, but it was designed by the design architect for a multifamily project going up in Arcadia.

It looks like it is located on the corner of McAllister and University. The building that is there (and which the design proposes to keep) is currently used by the construction management school. They will be moving to Block 12 once that is completed. So this either could be what would happen to that building once they move out, or what could have happened if block 12 hadn't. I'm really hoping is the former, since it is kind of a cool project, and it would look cool right on University.

http://vimeo.com/23562444#

Edit: Never mind, the project is called DWSC, which stands for Del Web School of Construction. Well, it could have been cool.

Last edited by Arquitect; Jan 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I found this project, not sure if it actually is getting built, but it was designed by the design architect for a multifamily project going up in Arcadia.

It looks like it is located on the corner of McAllister and University. The building that is there (and which the design proposes to keep) is currently used by the construction management school. They will be moving to Block 12 once that is completed. So this either could be what would happen to that building once they move out, or what could have happened if block 12 hadn't. I'm really hoping is the former, since it is kind of a cool project, and it would look cool right on University.

http://vimeo.com/23562444#

Edit: Never mind, the project is called DWSC, which stands for Del Web School of Construction. Well, it could have been cool.
Hmm I guess that was ISTB VI that someone mentioned earlier. Check out the second to last slide on 5 Year Research Space Plan that I found on ASU Research site. I'd be bummed if they get rid of Armstrong Hall once law moves downtown. One of my favorite buildings on campus plus namesake of the politician that made the institution in Tempe possible.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 3:15 AM

University Center sold to ASU

Quote:
ASU has purchased the University Center on East University Drive, across from the Tempe campus and next to the Sun Devil Sports Performance complex, according to the Phoenix Business Journal.

The three-building office space was purchased by the University from the insurance firm Travelers Companies’ Inc. for just a little more than $23.5 million, according to the article.

Before the purchase could be finalized, Arizona Board of Regents needed to approve the acquisition, which they did in December, because the sale was for more than $500,000, the Business Journal reported.

According to the ABOR meeting agenda from Dec. 6 and 7, ASU has leased office space in the center since 2000 but the University plans on using the newly acquired space to accomodate for increase enrollment and research opportunities by 2020.

Existing leases by tenants in the University Center will begin to expire during the next decade, making ASU’s goals for expansion a long-term event, according to the agenda.

The purchase will save the University nearly $600,000 in annual rent fees, according to the article.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 9:09 PM

Per Apache Redevelopment's Facebook, a Walmart Express might be coming to Vista del Sol. It's described as a convenience store version of Walmart- is it on par with the size of something like Fresh and Easy?

If so, a few questions/comments:

1) I'd rather this be closer to downtown and a better quality store to appeal to a more affluent demo; obviously, Walmart works for college kids, but I'd like to see an F&E/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods (he'll, even a Fry's!) instead as downtown Tempe tries to get young professionals in its resident mix.
2) Does having a Walmart Express so close to downtown pretty much kill the chance of another, full-service grocery going downtown in the future? If not, ignore #1: it's great to have options, and the Vista location is very smart with the influx of residential going up from Mill to McClintock. I would just hate if this is it for us in terms of groceries.

Otherwise, if this is something similar in size in service to the ASU markets or an Oakville, for instance, than I guess we are still on the hunt for a "real" grocery store with produce, basic home goods, etc.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Per Apache Redevelopment's Facebook, a Walmart Express might be coming to Vista del Sol. It's described as a convenience store version of Walmart- is it on par with the size of something like Fresh and Easy?

If so, a few questions/comments:

1) I'd rather this be closer to downtown and a better quality store to appeal to a more affluent demo; obviously, Walmart works for college kids, but I'd like to see an F&E/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods (he'll, even a Fry's!) instead as downtown Tempe tries to get young professionals in its resident mix.
2) Does having a Walmart Express so close to downtown pretty much kill the chance of another, full-service grocery going downtown in the future? If not, ignore #1: it's great to have options, and the Vista location is very smart with the influx of residential going up from Mill to McClintock. I would just hate if this is it for us in terms of groceries.

Otherwise, if this is something similar in size in service to the ASU markets or an Oakville, for instance, than I guess we are still on the hunt for a "real" grocery store with produce, basic home goods, etc.
Per USA Today:

Quote:
Express stores are less than one-tenth the size of Wal-Mart supercenters and offer groceries, general merchandise like tools, and pharmacies.
I'm assuming this is going to fill in the vacant apparel spot in VDS? If so I think it's good considering that most of the residential halls are by there. To me I don't think this could detract a full-service grocery store.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 10:16 PM

... I'd like to see a second market, the same size space that Walmart is thinking, open up closer to downtown Tempe. Maybe a Fry's Express... or a Safeway Express (if there is such a thing). The Fry's Express would definitely be a new gamble for the brand. But if they did it right they might have something.. good produce and specialty meet convenience and necessity. Think Tempe Farmers Market meets Target.. in 3/4 the size of a Fresh n' Easy. Where to put it, though? Without messing too much with Tempe Farmers and the new Walmart?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:01 PM

I know I may be vilified for saying this, but I almost wished the Walmart was actually a neighborhood store as opposed to an express. I understand why they need an express store for that area, yet I have a neighborhood store near where I live and it is usually clean, organized and friendly unlike the circus that is a supercenter. Too bad their Marketside concept failed (it was designed to compete with Fresh & Easy). Yet it was too expensive of a "convenience store."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:24 PM

An addition to the shopping complex on Warner:

Bowling, billiards, laser tag, rock climbing, gravity ropes, arcade games and glow-in-the-dark golf soon will join the mix at Tempe’s home-furnishing hub near Warner Road and Interstate 10.
Main Event Entertainment of Plano, Texas, recently handed over $2.05M ($320K/acre) for a 6.4-acre site adjacent to Ikea in the Emerald Center, where it plans to erect its first entertainment venue outside the Lone Star state. Lee & Associates Inc. represented the seller, First National Bank, Hutchinson, Kan.
Main Event has 12 locations in Texas.
Blueprints, which were approved by the city of Tempe last June, call for a 57K SF freestanding facility with more than 400 parking spaces. The project is being designed by Hunter Engineering. Construction is slated to commence sometime during the second quarter with an estimated cost of $8M to $9M.
It will cater to corporate events and team building, which is why the company chose that location.

http://azbex.com/tempe-indoor-entert...ned-near-ikea/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 7:14 PM

Tempe Museum of Contemporary Art

Just saw on SMOCA's facebook page that they are going to help this small museum in Tempe. I didn't even know it existed, but I think it is kinda cool to have a museum in someone's backyard. I hope it is succesful, it would be awesome to have more museums in the downtown/ASU area.

http://tmoca.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 2:44 PM

I can't wait to drive down Apache in a year or so and see the amazing transformation from Mill down to McClintock with The Villas at Vista, Vista del Sol, Barrett Honors, Vue, District, Grove, Gracie's and Grigio.

As this corridor continues to attract more and more residential development, I was wondering what your thoughts were on trying to bring more uses; some of these have retail components (though largely unoccupied- hopefully, places like the Grigio will fill up once additional residents are brought to the area as that is highly visible space so I'm surprised that it's remained that way for so long), but for the most part, Apache has been redeveloped solely through residential projects. Is that because of the economy and demand currently for rentals, or a part of Apache's identity?

Do you think the Apache corridor should have more diversity, and attract retail, office, hotel, etc. to the mix and become its own district/neighborhood? Or, shoud it focus on being an urban residential district that feeds into our downtown via transit? I don't think there is one right answer, but I was interested in hearing opinions of more educated folks.

I think that, even if the focus continues to be bringing residential projects along the corridor, the city and developers need to focus on a few things to ensure we take full advantage of its potential.

1) Retail - regardless of whether we think Apache needs projects with space for department stores, smaller stores like Target or clothing stores, etc., I do think that future residential projects need to incorporate at least some retail components in order to make the corridor as sustainable as possible and promote walking, and so on. Additionally, I think sidewalk cafes and the like would go a long way in creating an active streetscape and brigning life to the corridor and promoting east-west/west-east movement and exploration.
2) Streetscaping/landscaping - none of the above will be successful if people have to walk from McClintock to Rural in 125 degree weather, unless the city and developers get serious and innovative with shade and landscaping. From an aesthetic standpoint, the corridor is already overpowered by large amounts of gray in the exteriors of most buildings, so it could really use a little life and color in the landscaping at least. From a functionality standpoint, there's no question- shade is a must in order for this corridor to work as a dense TOD neighborhood.
3) Market rate living - While student housing is important, in demand and inevitable given the proximity to ASU, Apache and Tempe in general need to start developing some rentals that cater toward a slightly older and more affluent resident who has disposable income that can help boost the local economy; a corridor of low-income housing for seniors, the deaf and students will not be making a vibrant scene, nor will it allow for any retail to be successful.
4) Public spaces - With this influx of residents, the city needs to start thinking about providing some amenities that are typical of neighborhoods, in my opinion. Sure, depending on where the project falls on the Blvd, it is already part of a neighborhood that likely has parks and green space, but the corridor really has an identity of its own. While we may end up deciding it should be a 'feeder' in to downtown, some amenities nearby wouldn't cannabilize Mill, but would make Apache more appealing. There are still so many empty lots that make the street seem just as seedy once was. If any of these are city-owned, I'd love to see the create a small public park for all of these residents to enjoy. Doing so would also bring some traffic from non-residents, as currently, there isn't much reason to walk own there isn't much of a reason to venture down that way. Maybe a dog park or something similar that brings greenery and community together.

Anyway, yet another long post has come to conclusion. As the economy has picked back up, it has been obvious that Apache is getting much of the attention when it comes to development in Tempe. While we'd all love to see luxury condo towers near Mill, for now, it looks like we'll have to settle for some market-rate midrises along the Apache corridor. If that's the case, I think it's important to discuss what the 'right' course is for development, since the corridor is essentially starting from scratch. Let's hope they do it right and that whichever path they choose, Apache complements and co-exists with Mill/downtown, rather than take away.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:50 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I can't wait to drive down Apache in a year or so and see the amazing transformation from Mill down to McClintock with The Villas at Vista, Vista del Sol, Barrett Honors, Vue, District, Grove, Gracie's and Grigio.

As this corridor continues to attract more and more residential development, I was wondering what your thoughts were on trying to bring more uses; some of these have retail components (though largely unoccupied- hopefully, places like the Grigio will fill up once additional residents are brought to the area as that is highly visible space so I'm surprised that it's remained that way for so long), but for the most part, Apache has been redeveloped solely through residential projects. Is that because of the economy and demand currently for rentals, or a part of Apache's identity?

Do you think the Apache corridor should have more diversity, and attract retail, office, hotel, etc. to the mix and become its own district/neighborhood? Or, shoud it focus on being an urban residential district that feeds into our downtown via transit? I don't think there is one right answer, but I was interested in hearing opinions of more educated folks.

I think that, even if the focus continues to be bringing residential projects along the corridor, the city and developers need to focus on a few things to ensure we take full advantage of its potential.

1) Retail - regardless of whether we think Apache needs projects with space for department stores, smaller stores like Target or clothing stores, etc., I do think that future residential projects need to incorporate at least some retail components in order to make the corridor as sustainable as possible and promote walking, and so on. Additionally, I think sidewalk cafes and the like would go a long way in creating an active streetscape and brigning life to the corridor and promoting east-west/west-east movement and exploration.
2) Streetscaping/landscaping - none of the above will be successful if people have to walk from McClintock to Rural in 125 degree weather, unless the city and developers get serious and innovative with shade and landscaping. From an aesthetic standpoint, the corridor is already overpowered by large amounts of gray in the exteriors of most buildings, so it could really use a little life and color in the landscaping at least. From a functionality standpoint, there's no question- shade is a must in order for this corridor to work as a dense TOD neighborhood.
3) Market rate living - While student housing is important, in demand and inevitable given the proximity to ASU, Apache and Tempe in general need to start developing some rentals that cater toward a slightly older and more affluent resident who has disposable income that can help boost the local economy; a corridor of low-income housing for seniors, the deaf and students will not be making a vibrant scene, nor will it allow for any retail to be successful.
4) Public spaces - With this influx of residents, the city needs to start thinking about providing some amenities that are typical of neighborhoods, in my opinion. Sure, depending on where the project falls on the Blvd, it is already part of a neighborhood that likely has parks and green space, but the corridor really has an identity of its own. While we may end up deciding it should be a 'feeder' in to downtown, some amenities nearby wouldn't cannabilize Mill, but would make Apache more appealing. There are still so many empty lots that make the street seem just as seedy once was. If any of these are city-owned, I'd love to see the create a small public park for all of these residents to enjoy. Doing so would also bring some traffic from non-residents, as currently, there isn't much reason to walk own there isn't much of a reason to venture down that way. Maybe a dog park or something similar that brings greenery and community together.

Anyway, yet another long post has come to conclusion. As the economy has picked back up, it has been obvious that Apache is getting much of the attention when it comes to development in Tempe. While we'd all love to see luxury condo towers near Mill, for now, it looks like we'll have to settle for some market-rate midrises along the Apache corridor. If that's the case, I think it's important to discuss what the 'right' course is for development, since the corridor is essentially starting from scratch. Let's hope they do it right and that whichever path they choose, Apache complements and co-exists with Mill/downtown, rather than take away.
I'm generally pleased with what is happening on Apache. A few thoughts:

-- The vacant ground floor retail space frustrates me, just as it does with buildings in Central Phoenix. Ground floor retail always sounds good in theory, but it takes a critical mass of density to make it work. Some residents of apartment buildings will support the shops below them; others prefer to go elsewhere. When you have enough buildings and people living in them, there's sufficient crossover traffic among the residents of various buildings to make neighborhood retail work, but it's hard to get the ball rolling.
-- Apache already has a lot of restaurants and more keep coming. There's a new Italian place opening at the NWC of Dorsey & Apache. I'm amazed, however, that it does not seem to have a single dry cleaning store. Students who can afford to live in places like 922 Place (fka the Vue) probably don't wash and iron every last garment themselves. Likewise, Apache doesn't have a single drugstore until just after it crosses over into Mesa, where there's a Walgreen's at Dobson & Main.
-- The bike lanes and parallel parking help make Apache a more pleasant street. There are some stretches, however, where long block lengths make it a difficult environment for pedestrians. If a pedestrian has to walk a quarter mile out of the way to cross the street legally and safely, it's not really a walkable environment. Tempe might want to consider some pedestrian-activated signals between existing intersections.
-- And, yes, more shaded is needed. Building multi-story buildings right up against the street helps a great deal, but on blocks with set back buildings or vacant lots, more trees would help right now even while we wait for more urban development to occur.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:57 PM
BANNED

did we talk about this already? what is the zoning hearing sign for at the SEC of Priest and Washington?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
did we talk about this already? what is the zoning hearing sign for at the SEC of Priest and Washington?
Rezoning to MU-4 PAD for this:

http://www.thegrandatpapagoparkcenter.com/aboutPPC.html

Quote:
This is a public hearing notice for THE GRAND AT PAPAGO PARK CENTER for a Zoning Map Amendment and an Amended Planned Area Development (PAD) Overlay. The Zoning Map Amendment proposes to rezone the site from General Industrial District (GID) PAD to Mixed-Use, High Density District (MU-4) PAD. The Amended PAD Overlay proposes to establish site specific development standards for the project. The development proposal includes 11 office buildings ranging in height from three to 10-stories, 2 hotels ranging in height from 6 to 7-stories and providing up to a combined total of 600 guest rooms, limited conference space, multi-family residential buildings providing up to a combined total of 850 dwelling units, 3 one-story retail/restaurant buildings, 1 one-story restaurant building, and seven parking structures with above and below grade parking levels and parking courtyards containing over 10,000 parking spaces. The proposal has a total gross floor building area of approximately 3,187,000 square feet and a total structured parking floor area of approximately 2,858,400 square feet. The site is approximately 67.38 acres in size and is located at 1151 West Washington Street, Tempe, Arizona.

Neighborhood Meeting: December 6, 2012 @ 6:00pm (Rolling Hills Golf Course – Caddy Shack Sports Grill, 1415 North Mill Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85281)

Development Review Commission Hearing: 1/08/13 @ 6:00pm
City Council Hearing (Intro/1st Hearing): 1/24/13 @ 7:30pm
City Council Hearing (2nd Hearing): 2/7/13 @7:30pm
Case Number: PL120232

Applicant: Mitchell Rosen, Papago Park Center, Inc. (602) 236-3647

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest