HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:08 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
I am not sure what this refers to. If you mean Yonge and Bloor, the store is still open.
That only became The Bay in 1991.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It'd be much better to remove it and restore the original entranceways, and put traditional awnings back on all the windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I always wondered why they got rid of that space so quickly. Was it just to increase the prime main floor retail area?

The awnings are convenient but they're ugly as sin. I can't believe they're a protected heritage element.
Usually I am pretty good at understanding what people are talking about, but I can't picture what this entrance or space is/was.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Not meaning to derail the thread, but this is not correct. The Hudson's Bay Centre at Yonge and Bloor was purpose-built for the Bay in the early 1970s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%27s_Bay_Centre

As I mentioned, that store is still open, although there have been numerous trial balloons over the years to convert it to Bloomingdales, Saks, etc.

You are thinking of the former Simpson's flagship at Yonge and Queen, which was converted to the Bay in the early 1990s.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:37 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Not meaning to derail the thread, but this is not correct. The Hudson's Bay Centre at Yonge and Bloor was purpose-built for the Bay in the early 1970s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%27s_Bay_Centre

As I mentioned, that store is still open, although there have been numerous trial balloons over the years to convert it to Bloomingdales, Saks, etc.

You are thinking of the former Simpson's flagship at Yonge and Queen, which was converted to the Bay in the early 1990s.
I see, my mistake, was still caught up on the previous posts and missed that you were talking specifically of the Bloor location.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:41 PM

Re ' The bay Yonge @ Bloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Incorrect. Yonge & Bloor..
That was the shiny new toy for The Bay in the early - mid 70's.
That was their only store downtown until they purchased Simpsons on Yonge @ Queen approx 1985 then renovated the Simpsons Store in the late 80's and then converted to The Bay.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Usually I am pretty good at understanding what people are talking about, but I can't picture what this entrance or space is/was.
buzzg is talking about the grand tall entrances on the corner that were obscured by the low awnings installed in the 50s, 60s or whenever it was.

I agreed with his point and I also made reference to something I vaguely recall seeing a few years back... I think it was in the "WPG X HBC" window display on Portage Avenue a few years ago, but I can't remember for sure. I seem to remember a picture of a covered arcade that ran along the exterior of the building, similar to the one at the Calgary store. Or was it just a drawing of a building element that was never actually realized?

I did some googling but I couldn't come up with any pictures. I would hate to think this is a false memory... anyone else remember seeing that?

EDIT: OK, whew, I thought I was losing my mind for a second. But I found some evidence, and it is on the WPG x HBC website which features a lot of interesting research. Look here: https://cargocollective.com/wpghbc/C-3-3

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Good find.

That's what I was talking about with the promenade. Such an amazing feature that was lost. Although if loitering was a concern back in the 1930's - imagine that space today.

But either way, the bones are still there to recreate a similar feature...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:13 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^wow! That is gorgeous. I had no idea.

Hopefully they didn't destroy those archways and just installed a false ceiling beneath them.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:19 PM

^ It really is something. And it isn't an obvious feature you can pick up on from looking at old pictures of the exterior since the arcades are hidden behind plate glass that looks the same as it does now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:22 PM

My bad, I didn't check if the Bay still operated at Yonge and Bloor, I just fact checked that the building there was smaller that Winnipeg and that the hq offices had relocated in 1991.

Put that in perspective though, a 35 floor office building in downtown Toronto is smaller than the space in the downtown Winnipeg Bay store.

Edit: Also looking at those arch pictures of the Winnipeg Bay store, based on the depth in the pictures and the current high ceiling on the main floor I sadly thing they were destroyed pre 80s.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:36 AM

I was actually talking about the exterior entrances, but the arcade is awesome. I believe they were removed to make space for the backrooms on the main floor, like the half walls behind footwear and jewellery. There were once talks about making the store bigger, I imagine they decided this was a more economical decision.

I can't seem to find any closeups online (but I have seen photos in archives) but under the ugly silver metal siding there's the original entrance decorations with windows and signage above the doors. You can kind of see here from afar:

And at times from open til the metal awning went up, there were small awnings on Portage, and nice big ones all the way around that I would love to see return:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:15 AM

^^ What's with that photo? The scale of the people and the cars is all weird. Things that are close appear smaller than things that are far. It's like the original architectural rendering the way everything seems off.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:18 AM

Sorry to change direction. The awnings look great.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:59 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe a new rendering of the McLaren Hotel Proposal.

From Verne Reimer LinkedIn page.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:08 PM

Looks great, but my brain just cannot process the idea that someone will build that kind of an expansion to the McLaren Hotel. This is the ultimate "I'll believe it when I see it" proposal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:19 PM
What could go wrong?

....and that's why I am not being critical of the architecture. We argue sometimes on here that we shouldn't settle for architecture, but in this instance I think it is a great project if they can pull it off.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:28 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
....and that's why I am not being critical of the architecture. We argue sometimes on here that we shouldn't settle for architecture, but in this instance I think it is a great project if they can pull it off.
Given the location/budget of this project, its probably the best proposal in the city right now! The concept of development of that scale happening on that stretch of main is unbelievable.

But I gotta agree with esquire here - "I'll believe it when I see it"

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:38 PM

For what it's worth I think it's a really nice design. If it's built as shown, then I think that's about all you could ask for on that stretch of Main north of City Hall.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Given the location/budget of this project, its probably the best proposal in the city right now! The concept of development of that scale happening on that stretch of main is unbelievable.

But I gotta agree with esquire here - "I'll believe it when I see it"
It would benefit many sectors. To see this 1911 hotel restored somewhat and added to is great. Of course it is not a true hotel anymore.....that it is still in decent shape is one thing but addition of 12 floors might spur some more action on Main North of William.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mclaren-...tage-1.5002673

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:59 PM

Nice big windows which always feels rare in Winnipeg. I like it a lot - but I'll believe it when I see it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan