HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 4:22 AM

Yah I saw on CHEK news that the developer is looking to convert to rentals. Shouldn’t be a problem for them to sell it to a REIT or government involvement re: affordable housing.

Posted Friday on the Victoria Development Tracker is Chard’s request to add an additional two storeys to their Broad Street Hotel project. From their letter:

“ Since our original application was made in 2019 for a 135 room, 6-storey, lifestyle hotel,
there have been significant shifts in construction costs, policy changes, and the tourism
sector. In this time, we have seen the hotel construction budget balloon by more than
$200 per sf or 51%…

We have also discovered that the retained heritage walls were in poorer condition than initial assessment had indicated and have had to incur material expense and schedule impact in order to safely support them in a sensitive and respectful manner. The safety
adjustments were required for the team completing the work, public sidewalks, and the
long-term safety of the building. When we first began this project, the original costing
was $394 per sq ft. Today, the project was recently tendered at $595 per sq ft. for just
the new structure. In addition, the heritage abatement and restoration budget was
originally $1.6M and is now $5.1M.

In response to these challenging realities we are submitting for new Rezoning and
Heritage Alteration Permits. This new application proposes a modest, significantly
setback two-storey addition and 31 guestroom increase.”

Source

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 6:56 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's the Check News story...
https://cheknews.ca/victoria-condo-d...elays-1215653/

I haven't really been following that Broad Street project. Seems like Chard should get his request. But then again it's Victoria so who knows.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:59 AM

Yah, I think it’ll pass no problem. Actually looks a bit better with the two additional storeys.

Pic of Telus Ocean from today:

Telus Ocean Construction - September 26, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 3:07 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Thanks for the pic of The Telus Ocean building. Cool they are on the third floor now.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 4:15 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

This came up on Youtube tonight. Amazing footage from 2004 of the old Town and Country strip mall before Uptown was built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0igbroArSBo

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 5:29 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

New overpass beginning to take shape on Pat Bay Highway

The Keating flyover is starting to take shape on the Pat Bay Highway following a series of overnight closures this summer.

Still on track to finish in spring 2025, Highway 17 closed a handful of times to allow for the installation of massive steel girders to support the overpass.

https://www.oakbaynews.com/local-new...ighway-7510100

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 5:44 PM

The pride and joy of BC: keeping lots of the City's heritage certainly wins people over.

Quote:
Condé Nast Traveler crowns Victoria the best small city in the world
https://dailyhive.com/victoria/best-...nast-traveller
“With a reputation as the most British town in Canada, most restaurants and hotels offer a proper high tea,” said Condé Nast Traveller. “If you’re seeking a more rural escape, disconnect in the ancient forests with a road trip on Vancouver Island.”

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The pride and joy of BC: keeping lots of the City's heritage certainly wins people over.
Victoria already had won 1st on this publication last year as well.

Vancouver was 8th and moved up to 6th somehow (probably the only publication where Vancouver's standing improved over the past year...)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Victoria already had won 1st on this publication last year as well.

Vancouver was 8th and moved up to 6th somehow (probably the only publication where Vancouver's standing improved over the past year...)
Yes that's correct, and in 2022, Victoria was ranked 2nd, so in 2023 that was a very very good improvement as well.

Vancouver used to be ranked #1 for many years by numerous publications. For the past 5-10 years or so, it has constantly been pushed backwards, so I suppose it is still good news for this year. Being in a new administration does work for the city.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2024, 11:20 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

A photo I took after we went for a walk after our SSP Victoria lunch...

Downtown Victoria...

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 3:48 AM

Great shot Scaper! I see you managed to squeeze in the one under construction on Pandora. I walked by today and I think they’re at 9 or 10 storeys and adding light colour bricks to the exterior. A nice break (no pun intended) from the glass.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 6:40 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Thanks Zoomer!!! Here's a photo of The Nest Development in Harris Green...

The Nest Development, Victoria Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 9, 2024, 7:07 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Looking west down Johnson Street, Victoria. Harris Green Neighborhood.

Johnson Street, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 3:15 AM

/\ They really need to vary the heights, but this never seems to be on the mind of city planners, developers or council.

Couple pics of the Telus Ocean construction from October 4th.

Telus Ocean Construction - October 4, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Telus Ocean Construction - October 4, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 5:39 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Great photos Zoomer!!! I'm excited to see what this will look like when it's completed. It's taking a really long time to build...

Here's an article in The Times Colonist Victoria ranked 1st in the worlds best small city in the world...

https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...gazine-9594729

Old Posted Oct 12, 2024, 2:55 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Another photo I took this summer during our walk...

New developments... by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 12, 2024, 2:08 PM

I know lots of sites do these "best of" awards, but Conde Nast is legit, it isn't just a clickbait site with phoney baloney lists. It is based entirely on traveller submissions, not just one editor's mood that day. it is very significant to score top marks like Victoria did, especially looking at their competition (ahem.. Puerto Vallarta, Florence Italy, San Sebastian Spain, all massive for tourists and enormously popular, not easy to beat these especially when travellers get the vote and these cities get far more tourism numbers). Very encouraging to see that level of international recognition. And TBH, the "Britishness" of the city is exaggerated far more than the reality now. The High Tea aside, it isn't screamingly British actually, it's just what people liked to say historically and it stuck. Yes there's the double deckers and probably other links here and there. But overall it doesn't seem like England at all really. So it didn't win just because of it being a "piece of England in Canada", that's ridiculous, it's just one part of the city. Nature, First Nations, and Canadian history seem much more prominent to me, and probably for a lot of people. Especially with the immense growth and cityscape changes over the last decade or so, it isn't relying on some faint association with British architecture or whatever, it is an identity of its own. There is definitely way more truth to Quebec City being called a 'little slice of Europe' in North America. The city has its own identity and isn't some clone of a European city or anything, but just how extensive and well preserved its historic centre is makes it unique. So QC would have a hard time denying its historic European-esque cityscape is a major tourist driver, far more than Victoria as a "slice of Britain".

For some reason when I hear the Victoria/British thing being emphasized, I think of tacky places like Leavenworth WA. For those who don't know, it's the central Washington town that decided to internationally look like Germany and became like a living theme park or something bizarre, by choice! But tons of people check it out, people are fascinated by the oddity of it being entirely modeled on Germany (Kimberley BC did the same thing, but doesn't seem as theme park-ish as Leavenworth for some reason). And the city of Solvang in California to a slightly lesser extent; it's like a Danish village, windmills all over, just very historic Danish (not the newer bolder architecture or clean design we now associate with Scandinavia, rather the old timey days). The reason it's slightly less cringe than Leavenworth is because Solvang has deep Danish history, it was settled by them (obv. only referring to post-Colombian settler history, not counting indigenous history). But the odd thing is, even though there was a legit Danish history and link, the Danish architecture and "theme park" design overall into Denmark was not started by the Danish settlers, they didn't arrive and build in the Danish style at all. It was introduced, like Leavenworth, in the post war period, long after the bulk of Danish settlement. So that's why it's cringe, yes they do have a Danish heritage, but the forced, unnatural architecture is all made up for tourists. Per the Wikipedia article:

Buildings in the half-timbered style of Danish rural houses proliferated, creating a new tourist attraction.[8] While much was done to create an "authentic" Danish atmosphere in the town center, it has been pointed out by Scandinavians that fake thatched roofs and artificial timbering are largely a result of local interests in general rather than those of the Danish immigrants themselves. The older buildings have simply been restyled to look Danish even if there was nothing Danish about them originally
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvang,_California

At least Leavenworth is in an alpine environment (same with Kimberley) so the Alpian village feel isn't that far fetched, despite being fictitious. But historic Denmark in Southern California, with no rain, always sunny, always warm (and often hot!)??? Barf, so weird. Just a giant theme park to me, sad that it was city councils that actually endorsed and drove these plans. To be so down and out that the suggestion to turn into a gimmicky stage set was the way to go? And to have tourists come and gawk and take photos like it's some exhibit, it's embarrassing to me. So that's probably why I choose to downplay the British thing with Victoria, I know it's harmless but I am glad the city seems to be getting off that schtick and being more itself.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2024, 7:34 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's a revised view from the top of the View Street parkade...

Updated photo... Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 14, 2024, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Another photo I took this summer during our walk...

New developments... by thegreatscaper, on Flickr
Oh no, the tower is tipping over !!!!

Can't wait to get out to Victoria this summer for the first time since 1977 !!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2024, 4:00 AM

/\ Interesting how The Nest appears quite close, but I guess it is Scaper!

Zahav - that summary write up by the Conde Nast author was lazy, lol. The old England bit is at least 2 or 3 decades old. If you look at any of the travel articles in the past 2 decades they all emphasis ecological tourism/closeness to nature, increased diversity, excellent food, farm/sea to table, indigenous tourism and biking/walking and describe Victoria as a bustling little city, yadda yadda.

For better or worse long gone are the Royal London Wax Museum, Undersea Gardens, Fable Cottage, etc. Just looking at the Tourism Victoria site and the only mention of Old England I can see is put into appropriate context:

“Explore the past and embrace the exciting present. Being the oldest city in the Pacific Northwest has major advantages.

Vancouver Island and Victoria’s rich and fascinating history is rooted in Indigenous culture stretching back thousands of years, and British and Asian traditions since the mid 1800s. These influences echo proudly through Victoria’s amazing architecture, heritage sites, museums, gardens, galleries, markets and cultural celebrations.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia