HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:09 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Awesome. Is there a timeline on this? Seems like CHA hasn't really been building anything of late
Don't have a timeline yet.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:18 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
According to Wikipedia, Ickes originally had about 740 units, so this would only be an increase of 100 to 150 units, which isn't all that impressive.
In the end there could probably be more units. There's land on the east side of State Street that's vacant and was not part of the Ickes RFP. DPD estimated 2 years ago that the additional land could hold another 500-600 units (Cermak to 26th). While its not super dense its still better that whats there now which is nothing. Also DPD pushed for higher densities back then, but there was push back for lots of different players. Lastly, the Ickes site could see another tower on the south end if the market can handle it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:41 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Awesome. Is there a timeline on this? Seems like CHA hasn't really been building anything of late
Update! I was told by a CHA insider that June of 2017 is the targeted date for a ground breaking.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:19 PM
The City

HELLS YEAH if this thing gets redeveloped. I fucking HATE this strip mall! Yes yes yes yes I hope the buyer is a bold developer:

North side shopping center for sale in redevelopment play

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:20 PM

Uptown is really booming now! With the Lawrence house, old Aon building rehab, and some other Cedar st. projects, there will be about 1600 new units being built in uptown now. Plus, the new Wilson station.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
HELLS YEAH if this thing gets redeveloped. I fucking HATE this strip mall! Yes yes yes yes I hope the buyer is a bold developer:

That's potentially awesome news - let's hope it's a good developer who doesn't want to make another suburban piece of shit. Also noted in there is how they want to spruce up their Logan Square (2475 N Milwaukee) property. It states they want to make it 4 stories (right now it's 1) and maybe add condos/apartments above it. That's great news even if small.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:59 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ and not all of the new housing would be CHA (probably only 30%-40%) so there's a big net decrease in public housing.

Plus, a big chunk of Ickes was given over to Jones HS for athletic facilities, so the actual density on the remaining land is probably similar to or higher than what Ickes was.
You are right. Approximately 6 acres was given to CPS (Jones) for athletic field, so the densities will be higher.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's potentially awesome news - let's hope it's a good developer who doesn't want to make another suburban piece of shit. Also noted in there is how they want to spruce up their Logan Square (2475 N Milwaukee) property. It states they want to make it 4 stories (right now it's 1) and maybe add condos/apartments above it. That's great news even if small.
I sure hope they don't include surface parking in their plans for the Logan Square location.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 5:40 PM

Isnt that where the LGBT affordable housing is going to go? Or is that just the parking lot?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:

That is fantastic news! I almost intentionally stand on the other side of the train when I take the brown line everyday because I can't stand seeing that site and the Presence surface parking lots that close to downtown and in such a stabilized neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattshoe View Post
Isnt that where the LGBT affordable housing is going to go? Or is that just the parking lot?
Neither. That LGBT housing is just north of Armitage. The restaurant site is just north of Fullerton.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Between the Mega Mall redevelopment and this, that intersection (Sacramento/Milwaukee) could look a lot better in a couple years. I hope their plans involve removing or hiding the parking lot that's dominating the corner now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
In the end there could probably be more units. There's land on the east side of State Street that's vacant and was not part of the Ickes RFP. DPD estimated 2 years ago that the additional land could hold another 500-600 units (Cermak to 26th). While its not super dense its still better that whats there now which is nothing. Also DPD pushed for higher densities back then, but there was push back for lots of different players. Lastly, the Ickes site could see another tower on the south end if the market can handle it.
Isn't that land all privately owned, though? I hope it gets developed, but it won't be by the CHA...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:23 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Isn't that land all privately owned, though? I hope it gets developed, but it won't be by the CHA...
I believe the City owns one of the parcels, but the rest are privately owned.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Good Lord, talk about too little, too late...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...r-lucas-museum

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Good Lord, talk about too little, too late...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...r-lucas-museum
how would this have stopped anything? its not like the city and Lucas didnt have high paid lawyers of their own

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:45 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
this been talked about yet? not sure if legit but hoping we see a wave of TOD around Wilson.

The Cedar St. mid rise will be going up right down the street on Wilson, so there could be a great density boost around the new station.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2016/06/...-oriented.html

I'm not a fan, I walk past this location frequently, I always envisioned a flat iron building here as Broadway is not a completely straight north-south thoroughfare. I prefer the development be congruent proportionally with the height of its historic neighbors, those building are not going anywhere so please do not place an oversized imposing building next to them. There should be a setback after the third floor to respect the cornice heights of the neighboring structures with the rest of the five stories rising behind the setback. I would also prefer a curve at the intersection to mirror the building on the southwest corner of the intersection. New development should enhance the neighborhood and complement the existing stock not completely destroy a neighborhood's character and replace it with imposing and unpleasant structures. I am not advocating low density, hell if they could build something 12 stories there I'm game but the design should have SOME thought behind it. Not only would designing something more fitting there enhance the neighborhood, it makes financial sense. I understand people don't see the potential in Uptown due to the amount of vagrancy and crime in the area but as a residence I can attest to the fact that its historic building stock is impeccable and should be built upon. This design looks like something they picked out of the barney bag of pre-designed mid rises.

Last edited by UPChicago; Jun 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:37 AM
The City

^ To hell with that. Enough with the historical neighbor respecting argument.

I'm so tired of this 2-4 level density in all of Chicago's neighborhoods. The city NEEDS to be denser.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:45 AM

Kind of a clunker but I like the density.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I'm not a fan, I walk past this location frequently and I always envisions a flat iron scheme here. Also I would prefer the new development be congruent with the height of its history neighbors at least a setback matching the height and the rest of the height pushed back. The design overall doesn't fit.
It's not the absolute size that's the problem. The proportions of the design elements are too large. Fineness in the facade would help relate it to the historic stock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development