HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 6:05 PM

Let's also not be dishonest about accountability.

Lest we forget the recent looting fiasco involving "Meatball" and her social media followers, they were swiftly tracked down, arrested and charged.

If you have any doubts that the pendulum in the city isn't swinging back after the 2020 shitshow, you're not paying attention. The city is clearly being much more aggressive about the social mayhem bullshit, which is poised to be ramped-up under with a new incoming Mayor with much lower tolerance for such things.

Yes, we will continue to hear about the crappy anecdotes about crime or failed business deals that may or may not be able to be corroborated, but if you can't see that the Philadelphia is on a much better different trajectory than 3 years ago (and poised to improve further), I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Dec 24, 2023 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Finally a comprehensive article on retail decline in CC. Sounds kind we were about to get a Zara until the mass looting incident. I’m sure there are many others we don’t know about. This is on Krasner, progressives and “it’s just property” folks. You all should be apologizing if you had a shred of decency. I hope you’re happy.

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...-future-122156

Sorry we didn’t get a Zara

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontst17 View Post
sorry we didn’t get a zara
lol!!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Sorry we didn’t get a Zara
Right? What would we do without a company that makes clothes with slaves who get paid pennies a day.

Shame on us.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Let's also not be dishonest about accountability.

Lest we forget the recent looting fiasco involving "Meatball" and her social media followers, they were swiftly tracked down, arrested and charged.

If you have any doubts that the pendulum in the city isn't swinging back after the 2020 shitshow, you're not paying attention. The city is clearly being much more aggressive about the social mayhem bullshit, which is poised to be ramped-up under with a new incoming Mayor with much lower tolerance for such things.

Yes, we will continue to hear about the crappy anecdotes about crime or failed business deals that may or may not be able to be corroborated, but if you can't see that the Philadelphia is on a much better different trajectory than 3 years ago (and poised to improve further), I don't know what to tell you.
I hope it's not going to be just empty promises and a return to the status quo. There is a lot of inertia in the city and resistance to change on multiple levels. I really hope in the next couple years there will be an improvement.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 1:31 AM

New 30th station entrance

New UPenn lab at 3200 Walnut

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 12:35 PM

Just like New York, our low-rise buildings have great GREAT designs. Something like that lab or 3151 Market should be extended into a skyscraper. In my opinion we haven't got an "exotic" design for a tower since the W

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:43 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Just like New York, our low-rise buildings have great GREAT designs. Something like that lab or 3151 Market should be extended into a skyscraper. In my opinion we haven't got an "exotic" design for a tower since the W
Though not very tall, 2301 JFK may qualify, and Arthaus isn't exotic, but still stunning (IMO).
But I hear ya.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:52 PM

Yea, 2301 JFK and 3001 JFK are very exciting. But that discussion is for another forum

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 5:19 PM

Amy Gutmann Hall on a former parking lot in University City

The whole area has a lot of construction going on, with steel rising on every corner

New apartment building on Market st, adaptive reuse of an old facade with an overbuild

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryphilly View Post
I hope it's not going to be just empty promises and a return to the status quo. There is a lot of inertia in the city and resistance to change on multiple levels. I really hope in the next couple years there will be an improvement.
Crime was lower under Nutter. That wasn't that long ago, it can be done and has been done. The stats clearly show that. This isn't some crazy theory that has yet to be executed, it was done as recently as 8 years ago. The number of homicides doubled over a ten year period.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryphilly View Post
New apartment building on Market st, adaptive reuse of an old facade with an overbuild
This will be an office building, not apartments, just FYI.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301815108.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 8:09 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
This will be an office building, not apartments, just FYI.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301815108.html
You mean life sciences including lab space.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 1:48 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I want to take back a comment I made on Retail in Philly; we do need to improve it, after seeing 6th Ave in NYC last week and the amount of foot traffic and stores that they have on one strip compared to 3 of ours, we really need to upgrade and try to get some more stores, we are doing good but we can use improvements.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I want to take back a comment I made on Retail in Philly; we do need to improve it, after seeing 6th Ave in NYC last week and the amount of foot traffic and stores that they have on one strip compared to 3 of ours, we really need to upgrade and try to get some more stores, we are doing good but we can use improvements.
I think anyone who walks along the east side of Market, Chestnut and Walnut should agree even if they haven't been to 6th ave or any other major urban shopping district. Months back I said that Charleston's urban retail core was looking better than ours and I got "schooled" by numerous people about how you can't compare the two cities and how in spite of what I saw Philly is on another level etc. Sometimes things are as simple as what they appear to be- nothing more nothing less. There is a lot fo vacancy here and in center city there are not a lot of places to buy BASIC goods. I worked down there for many years and on the east side particularly you are really reliant on drug stores for many basics, especially once Target closed.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think anyone who walks along the east side of Market, Chestnut and Walnut should agree even if they haven't been to 6th ave or any other major urban shopping district. Months back I said that Charleston's urban retail core was looking better than ours and I got "schooled" by numerous people about how you can't compare the two cities and how in spite of what I saw Philly is on another level etc. Sometimes things are as simple as what they appear to be- nothing more nothing less. There is a lot fo vacancy here and in center city there are not a lot of places to buy BASIC goods. I worked down there for many years and on the east side particularly you are really reliant on drug stores for many basics, especially once Target closed.
Hopefully mayor Parker gives businesses like Zara the confidence to open stores here

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:24 PM

How many more high end homes and luxury towers do we need before the numbers make sense for decent retail to move in?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Hopefully mayor Parker gives businesses like Zara the confidence to open stores here
Cautiously optimistic about her and the new Commish. The other piece to this puzzle, however, is the DA's office. Now that the former Mayor has checked out physically (having long ago checked out in other respects), maybe there can be some pushback from that side of the aisle. Republicans in Harrisburg complaining about it is just seen as political.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
How many more high end homes and luxury towers do we need before the numbers make sense for decent retail to move in?
As much as we need to question local conditions and policies, and not adopt an "it's fine" approach, I do agree with past statements that the other part of this equation seems to be an intractable negative bias/cluelessness concerning Philadelphia among national brand decision makers.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Cautiously optimistic about her and the new Commish. The other piece to this puzzle, however, is the DA's office. Now that the former Mayor has checked out physically (having long ago checked out in other respects), maybe there can be some pushback from that side of the aisle. Republicans in Harrisburg complaining about it is just seen as political.
The last domino to fall.

The problem is that he was and probably will be elected again. It's insane.

Parker is hitting all the right notes on day one. Lets see if she can pull it off with city council the way it's currently constructed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development