HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Do CPD officers take their vehicles home with them when they are off duty? If so, why would they take transit? If not, where would they park their squad cars?
They drive their private cars to the station, park those cars on the publicly-owned lots, and then use the squad cars that are parked on the publicly-owned lots and side streets. Anyone who has walked past this station knows there is at least 2X the amount of parking required, especially since this station is next to an L stop.

This doesn't even touch on the actual station, which is completely fenced-off from the community, with no windows, and literal barriers. Nothing says "Part of the Community" like building an actual fortress. I wonder how much the officers pay for the on-site parking of private vehicles during working hours. Or to park squad cars on the street right in front.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 2:45 PM

Now that Irvin is trailing badly in the polls and Ken Griffin has lost his chance at owning the governor and bailed to Florida, how is everyone feeling about Darren Bailey? 1% chance of winning the general or .01%?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Now that Irvin is trailing badly in the polls and Ken Griffin has lost his chance at owning the governor and bailed to Florida, how is everyone feeling about Darren Bailey? 1% chance of winning the general or .01%?
A hotdog with ketchup would defeat Darren Bailey in a landslide.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 9:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
A hotdog with ketchup would defeat Darren Bailey in a landslide.
LOL!

yeah, unless Irwin somehow pulls off a miracle surprise win tomorrow, JB is getting another term, case closed.

and even against Irwin, JB probably still gets another term anyway because the MAGA crowd would just stay home for the general.

republicans are already severely outnumbered in IL, and then you throw in the dem's aggressive strategy to get the suburban moderates and downstate MAGA-nauts to hate each other, and it's now become a non-election either way.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 27, 2022 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:25 AM

I'm actually surprised Trump endorsed Darren Bailey. He is usually more strategic about his endorsements (ie. only people that are either a shoe-in to win or at least have a shot) since it somewhat reflects back on him.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:35 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Man I decided to turn on the evening news tonight to see the onslaught of political ads and... The most confusing was the Democrat governor's association "is Darren Bailey too conservative for Illinois?". Was it looking forward to the general? Or trolling to get Bailey more.votees? Or both?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:32 PM

I like JB as a governor. I feel like his administration and Susan Mendoza have done a considerable job of fixing Illinois' financial situation. There is a still a long way to go, but the progress made is promising. It feels good to kind of have some stable governing after blagoveich and rauner. So I am okay with JB doing another term. I think he said he would only do 2 terms? I am assuming Julianna Stratton will be the "heir apparent" after JB is done.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Man I decided to turn on the evening news tonight to see the onslaught of political ads and... The most confusing was the Democrat governor's association "is Darren Bailey too conservative for Illinois?". Was it looking forward to the general? Or trolling to get Bailey more.votees? Or both?
It was trolling to get Bailey to be their competition in the general instead of someone more moderate. It's a strategy the Democrats are using in a number of races... run ads that backhandedly help the more extreme Republican candidates in their primaries. Of course this can backfire significantly come November if the crazies they helped get to the general actually end up winning. Remember in 2016 when Democrats were rooting for Trump to be the Republican nominee since he would be the easiest to beat?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:07 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ but Illinois is not the USA. That strategy actually works here.

Pop quiz: when was the last time that Illinois had a crazy downstate right-winger as governor?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:54 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ but Illinois is not the USA. That strategy actually works here.

Pop quiz: when was the last time that Illinois had a crazy downstate right-winger as governor?
Do people that far downstate really sound like they're from Kentucky? I guess it makes sense...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:59 AM
BANNED

After the whole roe vs wade announcement, Republicans have ZERO chance at governer. Pritzker is being paraded nationwide for his leadership on making sure Illinois is an abortion oasis. These dumbass conservatives all said in a debate that they all want strict lockdowns on abortion as if 75% of this states population doesnt reside in or near one of the most liberal cities in the country.

Anybody who thinks Pritzker isn't getting a second term is delusional

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Do people that far downstate really sound like they're from Kentucky?
A few years ago I and three friends camped for a weekend in the Shawnee National forest at the southern tip of Illinois, close to Kentucky. It was a pretty busy and closely packed campground and we could hear campfire conversations and family breakfast chatter as we were walking through the area to take showers or use the restroom. Southern accents were ubiquitous. Over a few beers we were speculating about how many of the campers were from Kentucky and how many were from Illinois. Based upon the number of Southern accents, it seemed like half or more than half were from Kentucky. I decided to do a walk through and tally up the state of origin based upon each vehicle's license plate.

100% Illinois plates.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:25 AM

George Cardenas is likely to win County Board of Review Commissioner. If so, this would be Lightfoot's third opportunity at replacing an alderperson.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:38 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hmm well I voted for Collins over Davis, not that I have anything against Davis other than thinking he should retire, but I didn't expect it to be so close.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

LOL, it's looking like KG's $50M couldn't even buy 2nd place in the freaking primary.

With 92% reporting:

Darren Bailey - 57.4%
Jesse Sullivan - 15.8%
Richard Irvin - 15.1%
Gary Rabine - 6.5%
Paul Schimpf - 4.4%
Max Solomon - 0.9%

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 29, 2022 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
George Cardenas is likely to win County Board of Review Commissioner. If so, this would be Lightfoot's third opportunity at replacing an alderperson.
I wonder if she will nominate his brother or his mother as his replacement? I'm on the edge of my seat!

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I wonder if she will nominate his brother or his mother as his replacement? I'm on the edge of my seat!
Lol, he's a 5-term alderman so I'm betting someone who he has close political/financial ties to

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
LOL, it's looking like KG's $50M couldn't even buy 2nd place in the primary.

With 92% reporting:

Darren Bailey - 57.4%
Jesse Sullivan - 15.8%
Richard Irvin - 15.1%
Gary Rabine - 6.5%
Paul Schimpf - 4.4%
Max Solomon - 0.9%
Probably why he is pouting, taking his ball, and running off to Florida.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm well I voted for Collins over Davis, not that I have anything against Davis other than thinking he should retire, but I didn't expect it to be so close.
Hopefully that will make Davis see the writing on the wall and retire in 24. It would've been great if Kina won. Hopefully she will in 24.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 4:53 PM

Another mass shooting in River North; 2 killed 3 wounded. At this point I honestly don't know if I'd advise family to stay downtown over 4th of July weekend, typically one of the most violent of the year. Depressing as hell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest