HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:45 PM
New Yorker for life

A comparison...

wwward0

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:48 PM

From the pics you almost wonder if it would be better for the arm thats hanging off to break off to relieve some of the stress on the brace?

Well obviously the best case would be for nothing else to break but I have a hard time believing thats going to happen from the live stream.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

At least when it collapsed it didnt hit the unprotected beams at the top of the tower. Then parts of the building would have collapsed onto the street and that would not be good at all. Hopefully none of the superstructure is damaged or weakened by the crane swaying.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:55 PM
low-riding

according to the news reports it was lying on building for a while then flipped over itself to its current position. so there might be some roof damage

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Well, one things for certain, we wont be seeing the glass get finished on this building for a long time now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:00 PM
low-riding

i can't remember a hurricane ever hitting a supertall at this level under construction before. typhoons hitting asian supertalls U/C, im sure. but not in the US.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:41 PM

Oh Wow.. stay safe out there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

One thing for certain, this building won't be as unknown to New Yorkers as it has been.

http://enr.construction.com/products...could-fall.asp

Hurricane Sandy-Ravaged NYC Tower Crane Could Fall

10/29/2012
By Tudor Van Hampton and Esther D'Amico

Quote:
The superstructure of a 1,000-ft-tall tower crane working in Midtown Manhattan left dangling from Hurricane Sandy is at risk of falling down into the streets, says one crane expert watching the event unfold from afar.

Terry McGettigan, a tower crane expert in Seattle with 36 years of operating, maintenance and inspection experience, told ENR in a phone interview that the crane, believed to be a Favelle Favco Model 440 luffing jib unit, is in a precarious situation that should be handled with extreme care.

"That thing is not hanging on by much," said McGettigan on Oct. 29, responding to news photographs and live television coverage not long after the 1,000-ft-high crane's jib was blown backwards over its counterweight. "There is a possibility that the jib could come down."

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...ion-in-NYC.asp

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...he5mZlXwDi2ZQI

Police evacuate area around danging crane

By BILL SANDERSON, REUVEN FENTON and BETH DeFALCO
October 29, 2012

Quote:
Police were evacuating the area surrounding a super luxury high-rise under construction near Carnegie Hall as a rooftop crane dangled precariously in Hurricane-force winds.

Police closed off all streets surrounding the unfinished tower known as One57, at 157 W. 57th St., and began evacuating surrounding buildings -- sending people into as the streets as Sandy approaches. “I would say there’s not a lot holding that down. Just rocking like that is going to wear down the metal,” described one construction worker who rushed to the scene just before 3 p.m. He said no one could ride the elevator up to the crane, due to the wind, to access it.

Public records show the site has been rife with complaints for building violations. Buildings inspectors issued a stop work order on the crane because of hydraulic leaks and a defective hoist wire found on Aug. 29, records show. Also, inspectors found that the crane operator, Pinnacle Industries of Harrison, N.Y., did not have daily and monthly inspection records on the crane available at the work site. The stop work order stayed in effect until Sept. 10, and the fluid leaks resulted in Pinnacle paying a $1,600 fine.

But the crane’s problems were not completely resolved. Oil from the crane leaked into a nearby building, the site’s safety inspector reported to the Buildings Department on Sept. 21. The city did not issue a violation, since the problem was fixed by the time an inspector showed up, records show. There have also been problems with the crane’s operation. Two pieces of shoring fell to a scaffold on April 19 when a piece at the end of the crane cable came loose. And on May 18, a panel being hoisted by the crang swung out of control and cracked a 10th floor window. On March 14, someone complained to the city that the crane was illegally hoisting beams over a sidewalk. Buildings inspectors found nothing illegal happening when they got to the site. And in February, Buildings inspectors said they issued a violation against the crane operator for failing to report an accident.

Except for the hydraulic leak problem, none of the complaints about the crane have resulted in any fines or penalties for the contractor.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/art...ne-3990796.php

Quote:

A construction crane atop a $1.5 billion luxury high-rise in midtown Manhattan collapsed in high winds Monday and dangled precariously, prompting plans for engineers and inspectors to climb 74 flights of stairs to examine it as a huge storm bore down on the city.

The harrowing inspection task was being undertaken by experts who are "the best of the best," city Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani said

Shannon Kaye, 96, lives in the building next door.

"We heard a noise, but we didn't know what it was," she said. Minutes later, she and her neighbors were told to leave.

"I never liked that building, looking down into my bedroom," she said. "I always had the feeling that something would come falling down from it."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
don't *meddle*...

This is really bad. Stay safe everyone.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:23 PM

Video of initial collapse. Can't find the original on YouTube.

http://cl.ly/2a0q2I1o2O2p

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

The moment where the crane bent over...

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
World Machine

Unbelievable footage - shocked it didn't collapse all together.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Unbelievable footage - shocked it didn't collapse all together.
WOW! Watching the live footage, its still swaying quite a lot. I wonder if metal fatigue will have an affect if it sways all night... Anyways, I hope all of you in NYC and the northeast are safe.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

I saw the original collapse on the news. They said it was on youtube, but I can't find it there.

Here's a view of the building as it looms over Manhattan...

Video Link

Shaw Horton

mcbnyc

michikokuriyama

jackson324

Better times...

Serenitbee

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
Euroscraper

Here it is:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
Here it is:
There's a better quality out there, they showed it on the news. We'll find it. But it is VERY fortunate the entire thing didn't collapse to the street, where people were still out and about.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:22 PM

Watching the live video, the crane is swaying more right now than I've seen it all day.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cvplive/cvpstream2

Last edited by Flash; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
Euroscraper

^ indeed... btw finger crossed it stay there and we just hope for the best.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:06 AM

Yikes, I saw this on CNN and came here.

What is directly below it (if it falls)?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
Euroscraper

Well directly below there's "just" the street... in front of it on the other side of 57W st there is the Metropolitan Tower and Carnegie Hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive