HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 2:45 AM

I haven't been delving into KWC-related stuff much recently, but I'm really impressed with what people in this thread have found over the past months. Keep up the great work!

Just a reminder, if any of the images you find can be used under Wikipedia's image use policy, or if there's any important (reliably sourced) information missing from KWC's Wikipedia article, please let me know.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 3:25 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^will do. More photos will be posted soon.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 10:09 AM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...18#post5001918 - Chungking Mansions, perhaps the closest thing left to KWC? Not nearly as amazing of course.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 4:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^fantastic photos! I've made a few references to Chunking Mansions on these pages.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:48 PM

Eviction images from KWC

Here are some images from the tenant eviction and eventual distruction of the KWC.
http://news.hkheadline.com/figure/index.asp?id=132
http://news.hkheadline.com/figure/index.asp?id=145

From the wrecking ball image, its interesting to see how flimsy the structures actually were: thin walls and thin floors.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^these pictures are great; thanks!! Most of which I have never seen.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

all images c/o hkheadline.com

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 5:23 PM

^^^
Those are really incredible. Great job.

Manshiyat Naser (also called Garbage City) is a slum area in Cairo that, while less dense than KWC, bears a fair amount of resemblance to it in terms of roofscape.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manshiyat_naser
urbanigloos.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/garbage-city
terselubung.blogspot.com/2010/09/manshiyat-naser-kota-sampah.html
flickr.com/photos/helmacron/4221369161

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 5:12 PM

Part 1 of a 1989 German documentary on Hong Kong's fabled Kowloon Walled City.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Mark, awesome find. Where do you get all your shit? Amazing. Fantastiche und wunderbar.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 3:51 AM
The Vomit Bag.

over a fifth of a million visitors. Time for some updates. I have some new photos (graciously donated), but need some time to put them out for viewing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM

Don't know if it's already have been mentioned but I just read an article about Büyük Valide Han in Istanbul, a place that share many similarities with KWC.

Here's a flickr photo with additional links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamondini/5038834450/

The place's been around since the 17th century and the informal economy is still functional, altough threatened by the government who wants to gentrify it. The question of ownership is complex to say the least and that's the reason it's still there appaerently.

Back to KWC. I heard about this band some days ago.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 3:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Büyük Valide Han : neat. Never knew of the place.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 4:05 PM
Khan

That documentary was an awesome find.

Also, those demolition photos remind me of the Simpsons episode were Bart buys the abandoned factory at an auction, which eventually collapses, and its large community of rats and roaches flees next door to Moe's tavern, who advises his customers to tuck their pants into their socks. I wouldn't have wanted to be living next door to the walled city on demolition day.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:56 PM

I have been to HONG KONG before, and it was about 15 years ago. It was very crowded at that time. As time passes, I think it's getting crowded........

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Gutenberg, New Jersey is the densest United States town, with 56,000 people per square mile. Marine Division in Mumbai, India is currently the densest human inhabitance on earth, with ~300,000 people per square mile. Kowloon Walled City had a population density of 3.3 million people per square mile. Compare to the list of cities ranked by population density:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:44 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Gutenberg, New Jersey is the densest United States town, with 56,000 people per square mile. Marine Division in Mumbai, India is currently the densest human inhabitance on earth, with ~300,000 people per square mile. Kowloon Walled City had a population density of 3.3 million people per square mile. Compare to the list of cities ranked by population density:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density
If Guttenberg was as dense as KWC it'd have ~6.5 million inhabitants.
If Manhattan was as dense as KWC it'd have ~76 million inhabitants.
If Earth was as dense as KWC it'd have 190 trillion inhabitants (that's 27 000 times the current population). Since Mars has a surface area roughly that of Earths land surface, that's what we'd have if we put a hyper-dense ecumenopolis on Mars - that way we could make all of Earth a nature preserve
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 3:25 PM

Hi,

I am a student from the UK doing an extended school research project on the subject of the Kowloon Walled City.

My main aims are to find out:

1. What life was like within the KWC
2. What events and processes led to its demotion
3. Did the demolition improve the lives of the former residents

I am currently in the very early stages of this project, preparing for my visit to HK this summer. I have been in contact with several people and organisations including the Hong Kong Housing Authority, Kowloon Walled City Park, Jackie Pullinger, Louise Low, Lord Wilson of Tillyorn, Greg Girard amongst others. Nevertheless, I am struggling to find any information which would be useful for this project.

I wondered if anyone knew of specific websites/places to find the relevant information and statistics. For instance are there any census data, land-use surveys, crime statistics etc from the KWC.

Anyway I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me on this topic!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^If I found any of those sites, I generally have posted them somewhere within this thread (many may not be operational, on account of the 7 year span of this thread)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:57 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
If Guttenberg was as dense as KWC it'd have ~6.5 million inhabitants.
If Manhattan was as dense as KWC it'd have ~76 million inhabitants.
If Earth was as dense as KWC it'd have 190 trillion inhabitants (that's 27 000 times the current population). Since Mars has a surface area roughly that of Earths land surface, that's what we'd have if we put a hyper-dense ecumenopolis on Mars - that way we could make all of Earth a nature preserve
and thats with the low (relatively) buildings in KWC. Coruscant is suppose to be in average one kilometer tall at least... so I guess we could multiply those 76 trillion by 10x at least.

since you are into that, calculate the total population of the RingWorld from Larry Niven´s books, with that density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions