HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
We need to vote to expand Convention Center This year

Voting to expand the convention center this year means temporary jobs for the next few years and makes Austin more competitive for big events when construction finishes which will be long after we have a Covid 19 vaccine. Austin lost Dellworld and continues to miss out on big events so too many businesses rely way too heavily on SXSW. We need to do what we can now for our future selves and that means authorizing the hotel tax to be used for expanding the convention center to help the future Austin Economy.
'We' don't need to vote on anything. The decision is firmly in the hands of our elected officials on City Council, who unanimously supported moving forward last June. In November, 'we' rejected Prop B, a 'citizen' led initiative to require a public vote. The expansion funding will use Certificate of Obligation (CO) bonds to 'borrow' against future Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) that will be generated by the expansion. While HOT will certainly be down for a while, this is a long term play that will take advantage of the pent up demand that will emerge after we are past this current situation.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ter-expansion/

https://communityimpact.com/developm...-sparks-fight/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
'We' don't need to vote on anything. The decision is firmly in the hands of our elected officials on City Council, who unanimously supported moving forward last June. In November, 'we' rejected Prop B, a 'citizen' led initiative to require a public vote. The expansion funding will use Certificate of Obligation (CO) bonds to 'borrow' against future Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) that will be generated by the expansion. While HOT will certainly be down for a while, this is a long term play that will take advantage of the pent up demand that will emerge after we are past this current situation.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ter-expansion/

https://communityimpact.com/developm...-sparks-fight/

Dude, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know. However, the expansion is not approved. It still requires more votes of approval from council and anti-convention center groups are going to use this virus as a reason not to go through with it when the reality is that a recession is a reason for going through with the expansion. We need to make sure the general public understands that and there isn't a big push by the population to put on a hold on the expansion process.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
The coronavirus' impact on commercial real estate in Austin: Many tenants hitting pause on office space searches

The economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic is already causing demand for office space to fall around the country. Austin’s strong market isn’t immune.

About 75% of the lease deals that Colliers International is working on in Austin are on hold, said Alex Durham, a senior associate at the firm who represents tenants.

“The immediate reaction is that people aren’t making real estate decisions unless they are forced to,” he said. “It’s bleak out there from a tenant on the ground [perspective].”

Austin employers affected by the cancellation of public events and the slowing of new construction projects are evaluating layoffs as employees are typically their largest expense, Durham said. Their second largest expense is usually office space so that’s also being reevaluated.

“If this thing drags into May, we will really see the impact of it,” he said.

By and large, the tenants that are signing leases right now are those with leases that are expiring in the next several months, and those working on deals involving new construction or a major renovation, real estate experts said.

Commercial real estate brokers interviewed by the Austin Business Journal, though, are optimistic that the Texas capital will be able to bounce back quickly from the economic recession the country is likely facing.

Austin has seen some of the fastest rent growth in the country, especially in the Central Business District. Over the last 13 years, Austin saw office rents downtown increase by 80%, CoStar Central Texas Economist Sam Tenenbaum said in February. In the past year, Austin’s metro saw 5.2% rent growth owing to low vacancies — office vacancy was 10.7% in the fourth quarter, according to CBRE Group Inc. — and an extremely low unemployment rate hovering around 2.6%.

Economic forecast

In a March 23 webinar, Cushman & Wakefield Chief Economist and Global Head of Research Kevin Thorpe said it is “pretty clear” U.S. and global economies are now in a recession amid the ongoing pandemic. But, it’s the National Bureau of Economic Research that will make the official determination.

As of right now, though, the true impact the pandemic will have on the economy and the commercial real estate market is unknown, he said. There is no precedent for how to model how this crisis will play out, but it is fast moving.

Just eight weeks ago, Oxford Economics was forecasting real gross domestic growth in the U.S. of 1.8% for 2020, Thorpe said. Two weeks ago, they were forecasting it to be 1.3%. Last week, on March 20, Oxford Economics forecasted that GDP would drop 0.2% in the year.

Most economists are predicting the recession “will be sharp and most of the economic pain happening in the first half of this year,” unlike the Great Recession of 2008, which lasted 18 months, he said. The second quarter will be “brutal,” and Oxford Economics is forecasting a 10.8% decline in U.S. GDP, Thorpe said.

A strong economic rebound in the second half of the year is possible, but it depends on the path of the virus, he said. Oxford Economics is forecasting GDP to grow by 14.5% in the fourth quarter of this year, Thorpe said.

“I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that,” he said.

Thorpe said the data point to watch is when the number of new coronavirus cases begins to drop dramatically. That could start to happen in April, he said.

The segment of the commercial real estate market that is getting hit hardest is the one that depends on daily human interaction including hotels and retail, Thorpe pointed out.

Thorpe said investors and occupiers of commercial real estate are in a “wait and see” mode. Investment sales could be down 30% to 40% during 2020, he said.

Demand for office space is down in most markets, but he didn’t make a forecast on leasing. “It’s too early to model that with any precision,” he said.

The good news, he said, is the commercial real estate market was in better shape entering the downturn than before previous recessions.

Austin leases

Matt Levin, managing principal of Austin-based Equitable Commercial Realty, said tenants and landlords are being more cautious right now, but deals are still happening. He said ECR has several leases that were signed just last week.

He said a lot of people are being very reactionary right now but he advises them to be patients as the downturn will likely be short lived.

While a slow-down is likely, Levin said Austin is one of the best markets in the country and will rebound quickly.

Durham said he had four deals put on hold last week. This week he went from having 15 active deals to three. He said those deals aren’t dead but tenants are hitting pause until they know how long the pandemic and its economic repercussions will last.

Casey Casper, senior associate at Stream Realty Partners, said he is also seeing lease transactions “both small and large come to a screeching halt as companies navigate what to do next during this unprecedented time.”

What to do now

Right now, tenants should be talking to their brokers and landlords. They should be looking at their force majeure clauses, Durham said. Courts may soon begin to rule if the pandemic and closures forced by the government will give tenants an out on their lease.

Tenants that are worried about cash flow now should work with their broker and landlord to see if they can get an amendment on their lease that would allow for a few months of free rent with the extension of a lease, he said.

“I think if this thing drags out that ought to be something that every tenant in Austin at least is considering with a broker,” Durham said.

He said most landlords are working with tenants because they don’t want to be faced with empty buildings in the months to come.

After years of Austin being a landlord’s market because of low vacancies, Casper said the pandemic could give tenants more negotiating power.

“Assuming this pandemic has a lasting effect on the overall economy, this will force landlords to be more flexible on providing concessions, with lease terms likely being the most desired by our tenant clients,” Casper said.

A trend that could also emerge is more tenants looking to save cash by leasing in class B office buildings and turnkey subleases, he said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...al-estate.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:03 PM

Just to buttress what The ATX said upthread a bit -- this trade article emphasizes that financing for new hotels is definitely on hold. But there's a feeling in the industry that the bounceback could be much quicker than 2008.

Quote:
If there is reason to be optimistic during a catastrophic time for the travel industry, it is that most lenders and hoteliers expect a recovery to arrive quicker than previous downturns. Unlike the most recent one in 2008, banks are in a position to snap back to normalcy since this is a health crisis — not a financial one.

“Our take is basically anything that was set to close in the next 30 days is on pause or getting extended until there is clarity on travel and the economic recovery. We don’t have a timetable on when or if those transactions will move forward but hope it will be in within the next 45 to 60 days,” said Brent LeBlanc, an executive vice president at Atlanta-based Stonehill, a hospitality lender specializing in select-service and compact full-service hotels. “We feel there’s going to be opportunity to close, but we have to let the fog clear to see the playing field.”
https://skift.com/2020/03/26/hotel-d...e-finish-line/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:06 PM

I can confirm (as of this morning 3/27) work continues on the following projects:

- Indeed (both cranes jumped over the weekend)
- Hanover Republic Square
- 300 Colorado
- Google Sail
- Quincy
- 6X (I can't quite see the bottom of the pit from my balcony but it appears that there is still activity.)

Unsure:
- 405 Colorado (I haven't seen much much movement here. They've been stuck on the same floor for a couple weeks now)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:44 PM

Thanks for the news clayton! I'm sure all of us, including myself, were wondering if they were indeed continuing work

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton_rogue View Post
I can confirm (as of this morning 3/27) work continues on the following projects:

- Indeed (both cranes jumped over the weekend)
- Hanover Republic Square
- 300 Colorado
- Google Sail
- Quincy
- 6X (I can't quite see the bottom of the pit from my balcony but it appears that there is still activity.)

Unsure:
- 405 Colorado (I haven't seen much much movement here. They've been stuck on the same floor for a couple weeks now)

They don't have to stop working until midnight tonight per the city order.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
They don't have to stop working until midnight tonight per the city order.
Fair point. I'll give ya'll an update tomorrow then

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 10:19 PM

Don't know where to post but I thought people may be interested. From my view, work on 6X is coming to a halt. I read that Indeed is as well. I can see little to no work at Parsley. Work continues at full speed on google and canapy. Can't tell about Tommie and Thompson.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Don't know where to post but I thought people may be interested. From my view, work on 6X is coming to a halt. I read that Indeed is as well. I can see little to no work at Parsley. Work continues at full speed on google and canapy. Can't tell about Tommie and Thompson.

I wonder why some sites are pushing on and some are coming to a halt

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Cannon View Post
I wonder why some sites are pushing on and some are coming to a halt
No idea. Hanover is pushing too. Full crew working today. Google did a concrete pour last night. Canapy in full action now. Indeed, 6x, Parsley seem to be the ones shutting.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:35 PM

It could be related to a few "affordable" units for Hanover since affordable housing projects are allowed to continue.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It could be related to a few "affordable" units for Hanover since affordable housing projects are allowed to continue.

I don’t think Hanover opted for any affordable housing @ Republic Square

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:37 AM
クラブトクヨ

It appears the governor just superseded cities not allowing construction. Housing and commercial considered essential now. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...s-until-may-4/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
It appears the governor just superseded cities not allowing construction. Housing and commercial considered essential now. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...s-until-may-4/
Sigh.... you’re talking about a labor force more than any other that are going to show up and work until they drop dead. Less insurance, less quality insurance. I think the big exterior work is probably ok but interior finishing is going to be a problem.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:38 AM

Realtors told they can show properties again under statewide coronavirus order

Quote:
A few days ago, the Austin Board of Realtors was advising members not to show any houses in person in Austin. But a new order from Gov. Greg Abbott has changed things, according to ABOR. Still, the organization encourages virtual meetings as much as possible during the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ain-under.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:26 AM

What do you think will happen with home and rental prices in the next 30 days? Next 90 days? Can we expect to see a large drop in home prices like we did from 2008-2010 during the Great Recession?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Realtors told they can show properties again under statewide coronavirus order

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ain-under.html
Yeah, I am not showing properties right now. Virtual works just fine thank you very much!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yeah, I am not showing properties right now. Virtual works just fine thank you very much!
For sure. I wouldn't want any of you guy risk exposing yourself for something that can be avoidable.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
For sure. I wouldn't want any of you guy risk exposing yourself for something that can be avoidable.
I would also never recommend exposing oneself.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin