HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpenguin View Post
My official sources tell me that this is not accurate. The developers of 4th West apartments approached them early on, and they declined.
That's unfortunate. I know the developers stated that they wanted a grocery store there, hopefully they can get some sort of market.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:20 PM

This is not Salt Lake related, but you fellow skyscraper nerds will appreciate this more than my real life friends. Last week I traveled to Dubai and had the chance to check out the many skyscrapers there, including of course the Burj Khalifa. It was pretty amazing to see up close, and go the observation deck of the tallest building in the world. Spoiler alert, that thing is REALLY tall.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

As cool as it was to see, I have to say that the disappointing part of the city was the lack of a true downtown urban core. I kind of expected this, but since the city has literally gone from desert to megacity in 15 years, there isn't the organically grown urban fiber. It's almost like a suburban office park, the buildings just happen to all be over 1,000 feet tall.

Also, there was a dust storm going on so the air was not very clear

The view to the north

The view to the south

The view to the west

It was also interesting to see that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th tallest buildings in Dubai are a few miles south from this area. There are multiple 'downtowns' there. Here is a pic of that area as well, which is quite dense.

Don't get me wrong though, the city is amazing. From the mosques, to the indoor skiing, to the amusement parks, that place it a definite must see if you ever get the chance.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
That's unfortunate. I know the developers stated that they wanted a grocery store there, hopefully they can get some sort of market.
I was told they were looking to bring in a 365 Whole Foods

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:00 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
This is not Salt Lake related, but you fellow skyscraper nerds will appreciate this more than my real life friends. Last week I traveled to Dubai and had the chance to check out the many skyscrapers there, including of course the Burj Khalifa. It was pretty amazing to see up close, and go the observation deck of the tallest building in the world. Spoiler alert, that thing is REALLY tall.
Thanks for sharing DCRes! What's amazing about these shots is just how CGI and Avatar it all looks. Unreal.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:34 PM
of SLC

Quote:

So am I seeing this right?! This building grew out of a bush?!

Wow! That is amazing!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:38 PM

I can't help but imagine a giant flaming eye at the top of that tower.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Thanks for sharing DCRes! What's amazing about these shots is just how CGI and Avatar it all looks. Unreal.
Now that you mention it, it almost looks like SimCity

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Dubai, freeways and skyscrapers. Not a true downtown. They are the "Vegas" of the middle east.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:10 AM

7 children is not above the replacement rate. Replacement has to include your spouses, so 12 children would be the replacement rate for you, your siblings, and spouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Let's look at my family for example. I was the oldest of six children. We had two white parents. As of now my siblings and myself have collectively 7 children which is above replacement rate and we are still growing. Three of the seven children would not be categorized as white because they have a parent that isn't White. We categorize people as all white or not white. Further most of the growth that is yet happen will be minority not white as our youngest sibling who has yet to have children his fiance is also not white. So even though we are having children above replacement rate we are having white children below replacement rate. I think this trend can be Illustrated if you look at Race by age group. Despite Salt Lake City being over 75% wine less than half of its school-age children are white.

Further we have to consider that not too long ago 90% of this city was white. If someone is to sell a home in the city there is a very good chance that that person is white but the buyer could be of any race.

You are characterizing it as if white people are leaving Salt Lake City because they're afraid of all the not white people. That has happened in America's history but it isn't what is happening in Salt Lake City right now. I own a home in Salt Lake City and have considered leaving not because of my neighbors but because of the value of my home. I don't want to live in the suburbs but my home is worth double what I owe. I love my neighborhood I love the convenience I love the diversity but I could put a lot in my pocket if I were to move.

If I were to sell my home,as a white person, it would be for financial considerations not racial ones. Still the person who would buy my home is much more likely to be a minority race than I am.

To be perfectly honest this city is way softer and more family friendly than it was 10 years ago. There is a popular trope about minorities and crime but really we are seeing the exact opposite of that happening in Salt Lake City. Our city is becoming more diverse and much safer. We are replacing rundown properties full of white heroin Junkies with well-to-do people of many different races. Rising property values are encouraging the owners of properties who the vast majority of them are white to sell to new buyers who aren't ubiquitously White.

As a person who has lived in this city and watched it happen I really got to call b******* on the way you're interpreting the data.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:58 AM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:21 AM

Burj Khalifa will only be the world's tallest for a few more years. The Jeddah Tower being built in Saudi Arabia will be 1km tall, nearly 600 ft taller than the Burj Khalifa.

Jeddah Tower

There are a few other contenders being built as well.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:20 AM

Report: Arts, culture key to downtown S.L. growth

Jason Lee - Deseret News - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-SL-growth.htm

...While acknowledging the inherent risks involved, the economic development director noted that Salt Lake City has a track record
that strongly indicates that if the space is developed, tenants will fill it.

Due to the current commercial development expansion taking place throughout the Salt Lake and Utah valleys, getting companies to choose downtown
with its longer approval and building cycle compared with suburban locales has been difficult, Fritts said...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:33 AM

Salt Lake City: New roots for the 150-year-old rodeo

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...old-rodeo.html

The Days of ’47 Arena at State Fairpark. It’s a $17.5 million outdoor arena custom created for the rodeo experience,
where Utah rodeo reigns and the fan experience is second to none.

...Inside the arena, fans will be able to choose from one of 10,000 reserved, premium seats, all with clear views of the action. Enhancing the experience will be a state-of-the-art sound system and two HD jumbo video screens, showing the best of the world-class rodeo action. With slow-motion replays and behind-the-scenes video, the fans will never miss a moment. Animal athletes will also benefit from the industry’s best chutes, holding pens and livestock equipment, creating the best possible experience for the animals.

With a $1 million purse on the line, rodeo athletes know the important role the arena soil plays in their sport. Thanks to a grant from the WPRA, a full analysis of the native soils was made so the soil and sand mixture could provide the optimum footing for each equine event. Whether they need to buck, cut or slide, the animals and athletes will find that the surface at the Days of ’47 Arena is one of the best in the country, giving them the competitive edge.

Courtesy of Days of \'47 Cowboy Games and Rodeo

Last edited by delts145; Jul 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:55 PM
SLC Lifer

Greg Hughes is a guy with some questionable conduct over the last few years, but he's right. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT RIO GRANDE. This is not a time for more committee meetings and head-tilting "care". We can't care the murderers and rapists out of Rio Grande. Before you tilt your heads and tsk tsk me, I have family down there. I know the issues because I've lived the issues. Prepare yourself. The State of Utah is about to step in because our city is feckless with "care". Enjoy.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:49 PM
BANNED

No development news or construction projects in Salt Lake City the last few weeks?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:01 PM

Utah jobless rate at 3.4 percent

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...4-percent.html

Quote:
The state's unemployment rate rose two-tenths of a percentage point in June to register at 3.4 percent.

The Utah Department of Workforce Services Friday reported that approximately 53,400 Utahns were unemployed during the month and actively seeking work.

Nationwide, the U.S. unemployment rate ticked up one-tenth of a percentage point from May to register at 4.4 percent.

Nonfarm payroll employment in the Beehive State for June 2017 grew by an estimated 3.4 percent, the department reported, adding 49,200 jobs to the economy since June 2016. Data indicates that 1,477,700 Utahns are currently gainfully employed.

“Utah’s economy remains on solid footing, with nearly 50,000 new jobs added,” said the department's chief economist, Carrie Mayne. “While the unemployment rate showed a slight uptick, the expansionary trend in jobs means today’s job seeker will likely become tomorrow’s jobholder.”

The report says eight of the 10 private sector industry groups measured in the establishment survey posted net job increases in the last month compared to the same period last year. The natural resources and mining industry shed 500 positions and the information industry lost 400 positions.

Data showed that the largest year-over-year private sector employment improvement was in professional and business services — which added 10,700 jobs; with trade, transportation and utilities adding 10,000 new positions; and construction adding 7,400 workers.

Meanwhile, the fastest annualized employment growth occurred in construction — up 7.9 percent, professional and business services — climbing 5.3 percent and other services — rising 4 percent.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:05 PM

cranes out at the airport

https://www.facebook.com/thinkbigd/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:20 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:54 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
We can't care the murderers and rapists out of Rio Grande.
lol

As if there's hundreds upon hundreds of murderers roaming Rio Grande like it's 1970s era New York.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:18 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West