HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:55 AM
Go Chiefs!

CANADIENS SIGN GORGES TO ONE-YEAR $2.5 MILLION DEAL

Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens signed defenceman Josh Gorges to a one-year, $2.5 million contract on Friday.

Gorges had a goal and six assists in 36 games last season. He had 18 penalty minutes and averaged 21:10 seconds of ice time per game.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Josh Gorges for the 2011-12 season," said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier in a statement. "He is a very reliable defenceman for our club."

The 26-year-old from Kelowna, B.C., has played with Montreal for six seasons.

Gorges suffered a season-ending injury to his right knee on December 26 at Long Island.

"Josh is recovering extremely well from his knee injury that kept him out of the lineup for half of the regular season and the playoffs," said Gauthier. "We look forward to seeing him at training camp."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372302

If only we could bench Spacek, I will feel pretty confident with the defensive squad we have (Yemelin is the only question mark). We really have a nice mix of everything at the blue line.

Markov-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Yemelin-Weber
Spacek

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:20 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I'm not hot on the roundel, although I like all the other logos.
The roundel just looks like something that some airbase hockey team would have as a logo.
I'm not anti-military at all, it just seems too close a copy.
It was pretty clearly intentionally based on the military. Not only inspired by, but TNSE directly consulted with the Air Force.

As I pointed out to someone earlier, when you name your team the Jets, you have 2 choices: military, or Air Canada.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
The Maple Leaf? Seriously?
The Maple Leaf is a great logo for Team Canada, but I am not sure it is a good luck charm for an NHL team. I don't picture a NHL team with a Maple Leaf Logo win the Stanley Cup in the future. Not ever!

I really like the old Jets logo. It was one of my favorite. I wish they would bring it back.

What do people in Winnipeg think about the old logo (it is their team, they should have a say it this). Would they prefer their classic logo or start over with a new one?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:45 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
What do people in Winnipeg think about the old logo (it is their team, they should have a say it this). Would they prefer their classic logo or start over with a new one?
Hockey fans (in every city) basically fall into 2 camps. Those who want to live in their childhood past, and love all logos from the past. And those who want to move on.

It's been amusing watching the 2 fight it out today.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:52 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It was pretty clearly intentionally based on the military. Not only inspired by, but TNSE directly consulted with the Air Force.

As I pointed out to someone earlier, when you name your team the Jets, you have 2 choices: military, or Air Canada.
Yeah that's fair, I was just thinking something more stylized, roundel, maple leaf, and the jet, might have been better.

Oh well, at least I don't find it disappointing per se, like the CT pass name...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:54 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I'm trying to remind people that unlike the US, the last time we had a new team/logo in Canada was almost 20 years ago. Before that it was so long ago that we were just happy to have pro hockey.

Because really, beyond that all we've had has been the every-3-years-new-Canucks-abomination.

It's hard to be even remotely objective considering.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 7:54 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I think the problem is with the grey jet..

This other take on the Jet's jersey is much cleaner IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 1:48 PM

Ridiculous news of the day...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372269

REPORTS: YASHIN TALKING TO ISLANDERS ABOUT NHL RETURN

7/22/2011 2:11:30 PM

Quote:
According to various reports, centre Alexei Yashin is mulling over a return to the National Hockey League with an offer from the New York Islanders.

Agent Mark Gandler and Islanders general manager Garth Snow both confirmed to Newsday on Friday that the two sides have had discussions about Yashin returning with the team.

"I've had discussions with both Mark and Alexei," Snow told Newsday on Friday. "I'd rather keep those conversations private, but Alexei has been skating at our practice rink in Syosset and he looks great. I've been on record saying I'd explore all options and any player that would improve our team and help us make that step."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

It's like the Islanders are TRYING to ensure no fans, so they move up north in a few years.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I think the problem is with the grey jet..

This other take on the Jet's jersey is much cleaner IMHO.

I was gonna say, the design would look much better with an Arrow as the background.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 6:09 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I'm not sure why people are so weirded out by this. It is our national symbol after all.

There are plenty of "Stars n' Stripes" themed logos on American teams. A little more patriotism wouldn't hurt in Canada if you ask me.
Not sure I'm 100% sold on the logo. It clearly has a military tie in and I have no issue with that, I'm just not sure I like this particular logo.

It's not unprecedented however. As Freeweed mentions, not only do several U.S. teams have a 'Stars and Stripes' type logo, at least 2 of the teams are directly named for American military units - Chicago and Columbus.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:08 PM

Best logo in the league... 45 days to training camp.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 9:47 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Ridiculous news of the day...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372269

REPORTS: YASHIN TALKING TO ISLANDERS ABOUT NHL RETURN

7/22/2011 2:11:30 PM
I don't know why everyone is going on about how ridiculous it would be to bring Yashin back. It actually makes total sense to me. How serviceable Yashin isn't the point. Though I still think he can provide some production. In his last full season in the NHL he produced 28 goals & 68 points. The next year (his last in the NHL) his production was almost the same but he only played 58 games.

Anyways the main issue here is that the Islanders need to spend 9 million just to get to the cap floor. They have but a few opition to do so considering they only have 3 roster spots remaining to allocating that money towards. Meaning they have to spend an average of 3 million minimal on each of those 3 players!

The free agent pool is pretty thin and its quite obvious that there aren't many players out there jumping to play for the Islanders. Considering the situation, I don't see anything wrong with giving Yashin a one year deal at 3 million dollars. It'll be worth it if he gives you 20-25 goals and 50-60 points. If not, well then just cut him lose at the end of the year - without having to buy him out this time. No harm no foul.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Not sure I'm 100% sold on the logo. It clearly has a military tie in and I have no issue with that, I'm just not sure I like this particular logo.

It's not unprecedented however. As Freeweed mentions, not only do several U.S. teams have a 'Stars and Stripes' type logo, at least 2 of the teams are directly named for American military units - Chicago and Columbus.
Its got a lot to do with a) its a different trend for a Canadian team (no other Canadian sports team is really tied to military like this afaik), and b) people not being used to it yet. It has an instant "classic" feel, which is good imo. But it is something that will take people time to get used to. Even in Winnipeg half the people like it, half the people don't.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
I don't know why everyone is going on about how ridiculous it would be to bring Yashin back.
Your points are valid. I don't think anyone is really challenging the idea of bringing him back for a year just to meet the cap floor (and hopefully get a few points out of him). Personally, I think it's ridiculous that he'd basically be double-dipping salary. Ask yourself this: why did he get bought out in the first place? Teams don't buy out players because they believe they're going to get solid performance out of them.

Really though if it were any other team it would be laughed at, nothing more. But the fact that the Islanders continue to sign overrated players for ridiculous salaries for insanely long terms... it's just completely batshit insane. There's no other way to describe it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 12:33 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
But it is something that will take people time to get used to. Even in Winnipeg half the people like it, half the people don't.
This is why I think it will very soon rank right up there with the classics. If everyone hated it, we'd have another Wild. But if everyone loved it, it would have been because they used some rehash of the old logo and everyone would be soaking in the nostalgia. Which would last all of 6 months.

The fact that it's being so passionately debated is precisely why I think it will win most people over, and fairly soon at that. Not even a week in and I'm hearing an awful lot of "it's grown on me". The real deal-breaker in my mind is going to be the jerseys - if they make the logo stand out nice, people will love it. Instant classic. However if they go with something putrid like baby blue, the logo will be much less welcomed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
But the fact that the Islanders continue to sign overrated players for ridiculous salaries for insanely long terms... it's just completely batshit insane. There's no other way to describe it.
There's no debating that.

Yeah it is embarrassing for them to sign Yashin again, but I do understand the necessity of it. If its for anything more than a year, it'll be one of the dumbest things they've ever done.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:25 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
If its for anything more than a year, it'll be one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
Yeah, and that's saying something!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:
This is why I think it will very soon rank right up there with the classics. If everyone hated it, we'd have another Wild. But if everyone loved it, it would have been because they used some rehash of the old logo and everyone would be soaking in the nostalgia. Which would last all of 6 months.

The fact that it's being so passionately debated is precisely why I think it will win most people over, and fairly soon at that. Not even a week in and I'm hearing an awful lot of "it's grown on me". The real deal-breaker in my mind is going to be the jerseys - if they make the logo stand out nice, people will love it. Instant classic. However if they go with something putrid like baby blue, the logo will be much less welcomed.
Exactly. Well said.

I will say though I have 3 new T's, 2 are navy blue, and one is sky blue. I refrain from baby blue because its not really that bright, its more like sky blue...perhaps a possible colour? (Jets do fly in the sky after all)

But I will say its my fav T. The sky blue T is awesome. If you want to see what colour I mean, check out jet.nhl.com and look at Eric Fehr signing autographs; he's wearing the same T shirt.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It's like the Islanders are TRYING to ensure no fans, so they move up north in a few years.
Yeah, mostly because of the Hunter/ Rolston trade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada