HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:39 PM

I would if I were single and living in NYC or HK, or some place like that.

My relatives in Hong Kong live in places not much bigger than those, and are used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
I'm skeptical of the price ($25000 not including land), but I think a lot of single people in their late teens and twenties would live in something like this. If every neighbourhood in Calgary had a few of these for say $100000, I think a lot more people would own homes. The second story and big windows makes it a bit nicer than the average microcondo IMO.
If you could put one of those in a back yard facing an alleyway in a neighborhood like Mission or Kensington, and maybe resize to to be about 12x15', you could easily sell it for 75k.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:28 PM

so whats the point of this over a trailer? I can get a sweet 40' trailer that has all the amenities, 2 bedrooms, etc. Allready finished and hooked up and its far more mobile and easier to fix because you can get warranties on it and there are spare parts. Hook it up to a truck and you can take it anywhere. I don't see ANY benefit to this over a nice trailer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
so whats the point of this over a trailer? I can get a sweet 40' trailer that has all the amenities, 2 bedrooms, etc. Allready finished and hooked up and its far more mobile and easier to fix because you can get warranties on it and there are spare parts. Hook it up to a truck and you can take it anywhere. I don't see ANY benefit to this over a nice trailer.
It is smaller. Essentially it is designed to fit into small areas and alleys that traditionally are not for housing. Also looks better than a trailer and doesn't have the stigma attached to it.

Great idea to create additional housing choices in a neighbourhood without a lot of variety.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Wow! I hear downtown is a real mess today. Cars can't get through. Transit is backed up with buses stuck and LRT delayed. Real gong-show in the core!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Wow! I hear downtown is a real mess today. Cars can't get through. Transit is backed up with buses stuck and LRT delayed. Real gong-show in the core!
Good for the suburbs that transit only operates "in the core." Nobody getting stuck in snowdrifts up in Panorama? All lanes open on Deerfoot?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:15 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Incorrect. My commute took the fifteen minute walk it always does. Getting from the suburbs to the core may be a mess, but getting around downtown is a breeze as always. (A cold breeze today, to be sure.)

Benefit # 185 of living in the inner city: Last night, I picked up a Pearl Jam ticket for ten bucks at the last minute from someone who didn't want to face the icy roads all the way from their outlying location to the Saddledome; it's only a fifteen minute walk for me. Pity for them; it was a 3 hour monster of a show.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:22 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Incorrect. My commute took the fifteen minute walk it always does. Getting from the suburbs to the core may be a mess, but getting around downtown is a breeze as always. (A cold breeze today, to be sure.)

Benefit # 185 of living in the inner city: Last night, I picked up a Pearl Jam ticket for ten bucks at the last minute from someone who didn't want to face the icy roads all the way from their outlying location to the Saddledome; it's only a fifteen minute walk for me. Pity for them; it was a 3 hour monster of a show.
Jealous beyond belief. I've seen them twice in Calgary now. Such an amazing act.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:18 PM
Here and There

nope.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:

not really, and i'm basing that off actual travel in the core today.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
My commute by bus to the core was fine then jumped on the LRT which was right on time. Calgary Transit seems to have the situation under control. Maybe the problem is the cars!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:02 PM

Trains this morning coming from the south took a lot longer to get to the core than normal. Normally a 30 min ride for me turned into a 80 min ride. The trains were backed up because of issues with the switches at city hall. Hopefully the trip home is better after work.

It's always the bloody switches there every time it gets really cold.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:32 PM

Seriously people, why do you keep feeding the troll?

Pearl Jam was last night? why didn't I get tickets, those guys are epic live!

Also, I went to Southcentre mall and then the superstore on MacLeod last night and I didn't find the main roads to be that bad at all, I think people in this city need to have winter driving lessons (lesson 1, if you aren't getting traction, don't keep the pedal down as you are only making it worse).

Some of the pictures I've seen from some friends and co-workers in the burbs make this seem like that crazy storm we had a few years ago where there were all the cars buried in snow drifts lol. Does anyone still have that picture?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:52 PM
Here and There

Well, time for my 8 minute commute (including walking to parkade across the street). Yes, I drove today. I had a meeting.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:02 AM

My walk to downtown was the same as usual, 25 minutes but I did have to wear my snow boots. However, talking to my coworkers (the ones that came to work), the hardest part of their commute was exiting their cul-de-sac and suburbs since nothing was plowed, but it was smooth sailing once they hit a main road.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 3:22 AM

Quote:
1)
2) And where would transit and road commuters be coming from as opposed to walking commuters?
3) There was a 22 car pile-up on Stoney Trail last night, as well as grid lock all over the city. From what I've heard, on average the 'burbanites had a way worse commute.
4) Part of the C-train delay this morning was because a car got stuck on the tracks at Marlborough. I suppose you consider that Downtown from your house in Panorama Hills.
5) I know you get a kick out of riling everyone up, but c'mon!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Some of the pictures I've seen from some friends and co-workers in the burbs make this seem like that crazy storm we had a few years ago where there were all the cars buried in snow drifts lol. Does anyone still have that picture?

Do you mean this?

http://crimsonlinks.com/2009/12/07/w...#axzz2mXoBtdKJ

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
My commute took about 2 minutes longer. Nice try though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:47 PM

I hope this comes to Calgary so that I can buy a Beltline condo without parking.

"Gridlock has become so crippling — and the cost of keeping a car in the city so crazy — that developers are increasingly finding the lowly parking spot not only a tough sell, but an undesirable amenity, in many urban condo projects.

Klein believes the car is becoming such an annoying albatross, especially in the downtown core where young professionals prefer to walk or take transit to work, that in another decade, whole P levels may be sitting empty."

Toronto Star
Cost of Gridlock: Is that condo parking spot becoming an albatross?
Dec 5 2013
http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...albatross.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Yeah that was the one, looks like a scene out of "The day after tomorrow".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues