HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:44 PM
What could go wrong?

My bet is you will see the leg from Main to McPhillips in 2013.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 5:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Considering the city expropriated all the homes and acquired the land for the portion of the CPT west of the river about 15 years ago work should begin very soon in 2025!
Yeah, that was some time ago too. Highland and Foley Avenues are gone now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 5:27 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The most recent memory I have is that they removed the last of the houses 8 or 9 years ago. The remnants of Highland and Foley avenues are still there, and you can still access Highland by car, according to Google Street View.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:28 PM
Youth of a Nation

They are doing some work on Gateway near Springfield, I can only assume that this is for the extension to accommodate more traffic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 11:08 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
They are doing some work on Gateway near Springfield, I can only assume that this is for the extension to accommodate more traffic.
Yeah. I'm sure this is part of the whole bigger picture that Gateway is receiving upgrades, since it will be more focused as the main way along that strip, than Raleigh.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

It is part of the overall project.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 6:48 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Looks like they pretty much clear cut the entire length of Douglas Field in the last few days..

I had a Greenpeace moment when I saw a confused looking deer trying to find the wooded area he once called home.

I guess my views on this project have changed a lot through the years.

Is traffic in NK really that bad that we're willing to dump tens of millions of dollars into a project that might save us at most a minute or two on the commute?

I can get to downtown from NK in about 10 mins, and from NK to Transcona in 15; hardly a burdensome journey.

Maybe, we were better off having unspoiled green space?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:22 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I don't think the problem has ever been going north or south because Henderson and Lag move traffic pretty well (Lag is getting pretty congested though). The problem is getting from anywhere near Henderson TOO Lag or vise-versa. Everyone travels down McLeod, Springfield or McIvor which are all pretty busy all the time now. This will help to return these streets hopefully to more of a residential collector street than a main transportation route.

I live near the corner of Springfield & Lag, and from a purely selfish point of view, it will make the (extremely dangerous) corner of DeVries and Springfield almost non existent in terms of traffic.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:23 PM
BANNED

^Seriously? Tell this to the tens of thousands who live on regional streets in EK and NK who have had unwarranted heavy traffic on their streets for the past 25 years while the land set aside for this project sat while the south end of Winnipeg was built up to Calgary and Edmonton standards. You have obviously never driven down McLeod or Springfield in January when it takes 15 minutes or more to go from Henderson to Lag.

This is not a rebuttal to your post Biff, but the one above.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:26 PM
the first stamp is free

^ easy solution: just don't live in NK or EK.
Problem solved, and you'll probably be better off...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:30 PM
BANNED

^ Have been seriously thinking of this as of late, but my sights are on a city a little further to the west that starts in C and ends in Y.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:58 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
^Seriously? Tell this to the tens of thousands who live on regional streets in EK and NK who have had unwarranted heavy traffic on their streets for the past 25 years while the land set aside for this project sat while the south end of Winnipeg was built up to Calgary and Edmonton standards. You have obviously never driven down McLeod or Springfield in January when it takes 15 minutes or more to go from Henderson to Lag.

This is not a rebuttal to your post Biff, but the one above.
In hindsight, I just think there was a cheaper alternative.

What if all the streets running east -west were connected in a proper grid?

I.E.) Gilmore connected all the way to Sun Valley drive, Bonner, Glenway, Emerson all connected to De Vries.

In doing this we could have kept Douglas Field a green space. Who knows, instead of that barren path better known as the Northeast Pioneers trail, we could have had a landscaped path through Douglas Field; A second Bunn's creek if you will.

Than everyone would just use their own street to travel East / West.

But, just to play devils advocate..

Would any of you be willing to trade in the CPT expansion for say rail based transit or a proper clover leaf at Regent and Lag?

I know I would.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Have been seriously thinking of this as of late, but my sights are on a city a little further to the west that starts in C and ends in Y.
Really. For someone who moans and bitches about the "shitty southern Alberta weather" every chance he gets, I find this a strange possibility. But that is fine, the more people that leave Winnipeg that don't want to be living here, the better off the city will be in the long run.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Considering the city expropriated all the homes and acquired the land for the portion of the CPT west of the river about 15 years ago work should begin very soon in 2025!

right on the mark

------------

The current construction is planned next year, correct?

So I would just assume that the next leg would go right after..?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Why would you move to Carberry for?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Everyone travels down McLeod, Springfield or McIvor which are all pretty busy all the time now. This will help to return these streets hopefully to more of a residential collector street than a main transportation route.

I live near the corner of Springfield & Lag, and from a purely selfish point of view, it will make the (extremely dangerous) corner of DeVries and Springfield almost non existent in terms of traffic.
I grew up on the north-south section of De Vries Avenue just north of Knowles Avenue. When traveling to/from my parents home I used to use a variety of routes and tried to avoid the gravel portions of Knowles, Bonner and McIvor Avenues. I found that that I disliked McLeod Avenue because of the abundance of 4-way stops on its length. Its also is as wide as a regular residential street west of Raleigh. Springfield was my preferred route and I also used a combo of McIvor (residential street width), Gateway and Ragsdill until Headmaster Row was exteded. When they removed Headmaster Row was extended they removed the section of De Vries between Knowles Avenue and Headmaster Row plus they clossed off Knowles Avenue's access to Lagemodière Blvd forcing me to detour to Cindy Klassen Way. Recent construction on Cindy Klassen Way forces a further detour.

Speaking of the intersection of De Vries Ave and Springfield Rd, I always hated going straight through that intersection on De Vries always preferring to make a right turn on to Westbound Springfield or a left turn on to Northbound De Vries.

[QUOTE=Only The Lonely..;5038526]
What if all the streets running east -west were connected in a proper grid?

I.E.) Gilmore connected all the way to Sun Valley drive, Bonner, Glenway, Emerson all connected to De Vries.
Would any of you be willing to trade in the CPT expansion for say rail based transit or a proper clover leaf at Regent and Lag?
QUOTE]

I agree that it would be nice if Sun Valley and Gilmore were connected by something more than just a sidewalk. Bonner runs from Henderson to De Vries. Glenway and Emerson end at Raleigh and east of Raleigh remains undeveloped.

Regent and Lag do deserve a grade seperated interestion. I don't think that there is space for a full clover leaf but a diamond interchange might work as a compromise.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:24 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

But, just to play devils advocate..

I know I would.
Why not have both ? (CPT and the interchange . Rail transit is already a cost we can't afford but that's for another thread)
I get what you're saying but as has been pointed out already multiple times , this is no spur-of-the-moment idea . Hell , even we here have been talking about this for years . I can assure you that this has been on the books for well over a decade ... over three decades and probably close to four .

I appreciate that the deer might not like having some trees chopped down (well , if deer actually could appreciate much of anything) but they definitely didn't call them home and it's not like they're fresh out of trees to forage around otherwise .

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:10 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Why not have both ? (CPT and the interchange . Rail transit is already a cost we can't afford but that's for another thread)
I get what you're saying but as has been pointed out already multiple times , this is no spur-of-the-moment idea . Hell , even we here have been talking about this for years . I can assure you that this has been on the books for well over a decade ... over three decades and probably close to four .

I appreciate that the deer might not like having some trees chopped down (well , if deer actually could appreciate much of anything) but they definitely didn't call them home and it's not like they're fresh out of trees to forage around otherwise .
You're right, around these parts the CPT extension has been anything but a secret.

Heck, my parents sold their first home 28 years ago near Sun Valley because they didn't want to have an expressway running through their backyard.

That said, from an infrastructure perspective I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend the money on.

It seems to me that as Winnipeggers our tax dollars are being spent so that we can shave time off the East St.Paul crowd's commute; because let's face it, they're the ones that are putting the added strain on our east/west collector roads.

North Kildonan is a mature neighbourhood and hasn't seen any new significant construction in 30 years, so this traffic burden certainly wasn't created by us.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:41 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
You're right, around these parts the CPT extension has been anything but a secret.

Heck, my parents sold their first home 28 years ago near Sun Valley because they didn't want to have an expressway running through their backyard.

That said, from an infrastructure perspective I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend the money on.

It seems to me that as Winnipeggers our tax dollars are being spent so that we can shave time off the East St.Paul crowd's commute; because let's face it, they're the ones that are putting the added strain on our east/west collector roads.

North Kildonan is a mature neighbourhood and hasn't seen any new significant construction in 30 years, so this traffic burden certainly wasn't created by us.
Well you're right that the burden wasn't created directly the residents of the area but therein is the problem : Without a high-capacity thoroughfare linking Lag to Henderson , people have no choice but to use those collectors to get from one side to the other . It's not really the fault of the commuters in this case (and to be honest , it's unlikely that the people of the northern RMs are actually the cause of the traffic increase) but rather that this should have been built years ago .

I guess we could have simply designated a collector or two as east-west arterials but my guess is that the city planners of the day knew the kind of resistance they'd face if they tried to do that . If that's the case (and it probably is) then the CPT was never really an optional expenditure . Sooner or later something was going to have to function as a high-traffic connection between Lag and Henderson .

As for the RM commuters , it's not likely that they're causing the increase in traffic (at least not directly anyway) What we're really looking for is the industrial and residential development along the north of edge of the city proper . If somebody living in Amber Trails gets a job in the industrial districts surrounding Transcona (and this is common) then those same people aren't going to use the Perimeter to get from A to B . The RM commuters aren't going to waste time taking Springfield or some other slow link when they know that they can use the Perimeter . The vast majority of them are going to travel north and south along Henderson and Lag anyway and won't really have any need to use the collectors in between .

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You do have a point in the fact that those living outside city limits have greatly attributed to congestion in this part of the city, maybe ESP should be annexed by the city, all the people that I know who live there use all the city services and few are even employed by the city.

The city dropped the ball years ago when they could have easily made Springfield a four lane divided roadway, it probably would have been all that was needed.

I don't know if you are aware that the reason for the clearing of all of the trees near Henderson aside for the CPT will also be to accommodate a large storm retention pond behind what is now Safeway. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a dedicated exit off the CPT for the new Safeway store as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan