HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:04 AM

I've been using CC the on and off for almost 3 years. The train generally leaves on time out of Sac in the morning (I'd say about 75% to 80% of the time). Of course, when you're running late and you're counting on it being late, it's on time. When you show up with time to spare, it's 50 minutes late.

Coming home from Fairfield/Suisun, I'd say it's more that 10 minutes late more than 2/3 of the time. More than 1/2 hour late about 1/3 of the time.

But my biggest pet peeve of all is when the light rail pulls into the Sac station at 7:40 and the conductor decides to shut the door right when the 3 or 4 people from connecting light rail train approach the platform. And then they keep the doors shut for about 2 or 3 minutes while people are banging on the doors to be let in. And then the train takes off. It's happened to me 3 times. It's as if Amtrak has some sort of misplaced on-time arrogance in which they couldn't possibly wait another 20 seconds for a connecting light rail train. For heaven's sake, that might make them late for the first time ever...

I can't speak for other riders, but for me, it's usually more stressfull to be waiting for a late train than it is to be caught in traffic.

As far as the Sac to Fairfield/Suisun stretch, the only trip that beats driving in terms of time spent is the Friday afternoon return to Sac.

I have to admit though, it is nice to be able to pop a few foamers on the way home, when the mood strikes me.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:46 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

To be fair, I must admit, we took the train from Sac to Davis recently and it was a good experience. We rode our bikes to the 59th street light rail station. Locked them up. Light rail was on time, it was pleasant not too many loonies. The amtrack was late by 10mins which is considered on time for them. It was nice to see oakland A's fans boarding or were they de-boarding the train I forget. Lots of students, a few tourists, what appeared to be business-working folks. The train was clean. Several people took their bikes on board. The train did not stand still in the yolo bypass like it did the last time. Once it stopped for over 1/2 hour just before getting to Davis....that was infuriating. Anyhow, we stayed a couple of hours shopping in downtown Davis. Bought shoes, ate pizza, drank beer, returned to Sac.

Severals years backs my partner would make the same trip described above to meet me in Davis while I was attending Massage School in Davis. He didnt have any complaints about their service back then.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 7:30 AM
Resu Deretsiger

I have used the CC a couple of times, price wasn't too bad (military discount) and the train ride was great. Basically on time, but one I remember we were stuck in that industrial area of Martinez for a while.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:06 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Back-Seat Driver: Traffic is big hitch in arena plan
By Tony Bizjak

Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1 Monday, October 1, 2007

Here is one man's assessment of what a proposed Sacramento Kings arena at Cal Expo would be like in traffic terms: "Horrible."

And that comes from a guy who's intrigued by the idea. City Councilman Steve Cohn says the State Fair area already is a tough place for traffic. It's blocked on the south by the American River, shouldered on the west by the bottlenecked Capital City Freeway, and fronted by car-clogged Arden Fair.

Its main street, Arden Way, is one of the most congested streets in town.

The Cal Expo board, happy to have a wealthy suitor, agreed Friday to negotiate with National Basketball Association officials for a deal that could bring an arena and more development to the underused Expo site.

Those officials have yet to explore an important question. How will they handle traffic -- in particular, the phenomena known as "the pulse?" That's when 18,000 fans try to funnel into the parking at once, then spill out again en masse a few hours later.

They'll arrive for evening games in an area already crowded with people headed to the mall and a multitude of restaurants and theaters.

An arena would make the Arden-Point West-Cal Expo area even more of a regional entertainment hotspot.

But will cars back up onto the freeway at the outdated Arden and Cal Expo exits? Will they add to the mess at intersections to the east like Howe Avenue and Arden Way?

Cal Expo general manager Norb Bartosik cautions against hasty predictions of bad traffic. State Fair-goers generally make it in and out fine, he said.

If his agency and the NBA do strike an arena deal, solving traffic issues will be a group project, he said. "Everybody is going to have to come to the table -- the city, the county, the state, Regional Transit, Caltrans."

Bartosik and other area business officials, in fact, already have been studying a potential traffic reducer -- a streetcar that would run on tracks on or off the street.

It could bring people into the area from a nearby light-rail station, looping them to the Cal Expo gates and the Arden Fair front entrance.

"It's not a silly idea," said Mike McKeever, head of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments, the region's transportation agency.

His agency believes streetcars, in the right place, could ease congestion and spur urban-style development -- exactly what Cal Expo and the NBA are talking about.

Arden Fair general manager Matthew Klutznrick said he likes the streetcar idea. He laments that area workers and hotel guests often drive a few hundred yards rather than walk across intimidating, pedestrian-unfriendly Arden Way.

With a streetcar stopping at the mall, offices, apartments, hotels and fairgrounds, "people can park once and trolley around," he said.

But the streetcar must find a way over the freeway and Union Pacific rail tracks to the existing Swanston light-rail station a half-mile away.

RT official Mike Wiley said it's doable. "It's just a matter of money."

That station site also is a potential future stop for the regional Capitol Corridor train line, which could bring fans by rail from as far away as Auburn and the Bay Area.

Streetcar consultant David Taylor points out there remains an unanswered question. Will fans and concert-goers be willing to take a train, then transfer to a streetcar?

Cohn says he thinks a certain number will. "The traffic would be horrible. I think they'll try their car, and the next time, they'll try light rail."

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:51 PM

Just when I was extolling the virtues of taking Amtrak's CC train, there was a train derailment near Martinez yesterday. And just like that it took over 5 hrs to get home from SF. It was the train ahead of us, so our train had to pick those passengers up too. For those folks, it was a 6 hrs journey. ** sigh ** Oh well, these things happen every once in a while.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 8:20 PM
Hindrance to Development

Having taken over 5 hours to drive from Sac-SF because of accidents on the highway, trust me, you'd rather spend 5 hours on the train.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Having taken over 5 hours to drive from Sac-SF because of accidents on the highway, trust me, you'd rather spend 5 hours on the train.
Yes, I was glad to at least be on our train. Was able to sleep, read, watch a movie on my laptop and the cafe had food and drinks. In fact, after 3 hrs they started giving away the food and drinks for free (except alcohol). The train ahead of us that derailed was another story. I was told that they had no power in the trains, the cafe was closed without electricity and they did not open the train doors for safety reason so it was hot and stuffy. So, they were less comfortable than we were for more than 3 hrs.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Yes, I was glad to at least be on our train. Was able to sleep, read, watch a movie on my laptop and the cafe had food and drinks. In fact, after 3 hrs they started giving away the food and drinks for free (except alcohol). The train ahead of us that derailed was another story. I was told that they had no power in the trains, the cafe was closed without electricity and they did not open the train doors for safety reason so it was hot and stuffy. So, they were less comfortable than we were for more than 3 hrs.
better a train than a small car or, worse yet, a plane!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:36 PM
Kodachrome

This is from the Operating Engineers Local Union Engineers #3 Newsletter
November 2007. Sounds like prep work has started to add another lane for
carpool from Watt Ave. to the Sacramento River Bridge.

Last edited by innov8; Nov 1, 2007 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:12 AM

I'm not usually big on supporting widening freeways but I-80 from west sac to watt ave looks like complete ass and could use the improvement. Hopefully adding the carpool lanes will include the cement barrier between each side of the freeway instead of the ugly weed patch that currenly sits there.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 10:58 PM

Question:
Is it poosible for RT to reduce the number of cars per run- yet run more of the smaller trains -so that they run at more frequent intervals in order to reduce the wait time at each station and reduce congestion caused by long trains?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Question:
Is it poosible for RT to reduce the number of cars per run- yet run more of the smaller trains -so that they run at more frequent intervals in order to reduce the wait time at each station and reduce congestion caused by long trains?
My understanding, (and i could very well be wrong) is due to single track sections, especially out to folsom, makes more frequent, shorter traisn difficult.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:57 PM
Kodachrome

Beware the groan zone
Repair of waterlogged I-5 through downtown would close some lanes, ramps for much of 2008
By Melanie Turner of The Sacramento Business Journal

Friday, November 16, 2007

I-5's "boat" section was under water for nearly an entire weekend in Jan. 1980
when heavy rains and a broken valve at a nearby water treatment combined
to flood the highway.

Business leaders and Sacramento officials already are bracing for major traffic problems expected to hit everything from downtown streets to busy highways as a result of a long-term construction project set to start in March on Interstate 5.

While concerns are being raised, officials agree the repair work that would at times shut multiple lanes through downtown is necessary, and many hope to partner with the California Department of Transportation to alleviate the impact.

"We do know it's going to have tremendous impacts on our city streets," said Linda Tucker, spokeswoman for the city Department of Transportation.

"It has to be done," Tucker said. "But I don't think anybody's looking forward to it."

The around-the-clock construction activity to rehabilitate a worn-out section of I-5 between L and S streets is also expected to affect traffic flow on Highway 50, Interstate 80, Highway 99 and the Capital City Freeway.

I-5 is an important north-south economic link between the Canadian and Mexican borders. The section of road in need of repair serves more than 190,000 daily commuters, according to Caltrans.

City officials have been meeting regularly for nine months in an effort to craft an agreement with Caltrans that would outline ways to alleviate some of the traffic woes. Likewise, this week the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the city's central business district, pushed to establish a task force of property owners and businesses to help mitigate the impacts.

"There are some real concerns with how ... downtown is going to be impacted," Downtown Sacramento Partnership executive director Michael Ault said.

Caltrans estimates the closure of the lanes would last about nine months, from March through November.

While Caltrans typically works on freeways at night and on weekends, the agency would work 24 hours a day to speed up this $55 million project.

"We think we have a better plan," Caltrans spokesman Mark Dinger said. "Let's get in, get the work done and get out. But to do that, there's going to be impacts. We're going to be blocking lanes for long periods of time."

Caltrans estimates the project would last five and a half years if the agency worked only nights and weekends, driving up traffic-control costs.

Water table floats our 'boat'
The section of I-5 in need of repair is known as the "boat section" because it was constructed below the groundwater level and would become buoyant without the anchorage system that's underneath the road.

The drainage system that historically has kept water from seeping up to the pavement has become clogged, causing water to rise and crack the surface. At times, especially during the rainy season as water leaks through the cracks, Caltrans is forced to temporarily shut down lanes that become flooded.

"The system that's been there historically has worked very well," Dinger said. "But it's getting to the point that we need to fix it."

Caltrans would pull off the old pavement and lay down new drainage channels and a new layer of concrete.

The Caltrans work zone, which spans three to five lanes in each direction, would run from Richards Boulevard on the north to Sutterville Road on the south. Caltrans would close one or two lanes in each direction, leaving three lanes open in each direction during construction, Dinger said.

Caltrans also would install an electronic monitoring system. Four wells, each equipped with monitoring lights, pump water from beneath the road when the water gets too high. A red light indicates a pump has shut down and needs repair.

Caltrans employees drive back and forth along that stretch of highway and scan for the red warning lights. The new electronic system would enable Caltrans to monitor the pumps from its transportation management center -- or from mobile devices.

"We're going to make it so we can monitor it anytime, anywhere from PDA devices," Dinger said.

Old Sac 'very worried'
Caltrans is "on the verge" of awarding a contract to a consultant who will conduct an extensive public outreach campaign to inform people of traffic impacts associated with the project. The campaign would include freeway warning signs and television, print and radio ads.

Officials plan to encourage commuters to take transit and truckers to take alternative routes. Julie Sauls, vice president of external affairs for the California Trucking Association, said the trucking industry is "willing to do our part to help out."

"Considering those interstates were built to move goods, any diversion is obviously going to have an impact on the routes that we're taking," Sauls said. "We're pleased to see that they are addressing the infrastructure needs."

Some merchants are concerned about what Caltrans has cited as extended partial closures of certain on- and off-ramps in the work zone. For example, Caltrans' engineers estimate portions of J Street off-ramps could be closed for 39 days.

"All the merchants and property owners are very worried" about potential impacts to the entrance to Old Sacramento, said Lena Fat, director of food at Fat City Inc., parent company of California Fat's and Fat City in Old Sacramento.

But Dinger said the contractor will be given cash incentives to open the ramps sooner.

Annabeth Stem, acting manager for the Old Sacramento division of the city of Sacramento, said she expects the J Street off-ramps will be closed for 30 days, but she doesn't know when that will occur.

"Because there isn't a construction schedule, we don't know when it's going to happen, but we're bracing for it," she said. "We're concerned about two things: If roads are closed, people can't get here and there's the ripple effects. If people hear it's a mess, they're going to avoid downtown altogether.

"We know we'll lose some. We're not too worried about the tourists because they will find a way to get here. We're more worried about our regional residents."

How do they correct that?

"We're working on incentives and special deals. The feeling is, 'It's a pain to come here. but we'll make it worth your while.' "

"We're working on incentives and special deals. The feeling is, 'It's a pain to come here. but we'll make it worth your while.' "

Added Paul Hammond, director of the California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento, "I think there will be traffic issues until people figure out how to get around them, just like with the Tower Bridge -- people figured out how to work around it. ... From what I understand, any closures of on-ramps will be brief."

Hammond said people will continue to find their way to Old Sacramento.

"I think it will have more impact on the people dealing with it every day than the occasional visitor," he said. "I'm looking forward to that getting solved. A couple of wet, rainy winters, and we've got a real problem on our hands."

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...y2.html?page=1

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:48 PM
Closed account

^ I find this whole situation completely ridiculous....No public transportation alternative, and this problem apparently got buried in bureaucracy and grew into this major project/headache.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:55 PM
Repeat!

^ I completely agree. Even right now it seems like the plan is... to eventually have a plan.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 7:39 AM
Here we stAy

Tower Bridge Reopens To Traffic
South Sidewalk Open For Pedestrians, Bicyclists
POSTED: 6:09 pm PST November 16, 2007
UPDATED: 7:08 pm PST November 16, 2007

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Drivers in downtown Sacramento may have noticed that the Tower Bridge was back down Friday.

The city will reopen the bridge to traffic at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Work on expanding the bridge's sidewalks is 90 percent complete and nine months ahead of schedule. Therefore, the second closure planned for January won't be necessary.

Pedestrians and bicyclists will need to use the south sidewalk until the north side is complete.

courtesy kcra.com

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:09 AM
Ugliest Lamps on Earth!

Light Rail

Did SacRT put some new light rail vehicles on the tracks? I noticed a rail car the other day that looked a bit different than the usual white/gold ones or, the blue ones. More like the white/gold ones but, a bit more sleek. Anyone know? Maybe my tired eyes were playing tricks on me.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:00 AM
Repeat!

I've noticed that they've been using the older rail cars lately, especially on the gold line. That's about it, though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:08 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALINSAC View Post
Did SacRT put some new light rail vehicles on the tracks? I noticed a rail car the other day that looked a bit different than the usual white/gold ones or, the blue ones. More like the white/gold ones but, a bit more sleek. Anyone know? Maybe my tired eyes were playing tricks on me.

RT purchased some old LR vehicles from Santa Clara after that agency swithced to the low floor design. They were supposed to refurbish them and put them into service. That could be what you saw.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:12 PM
Ugliest Lamps on Earth!

Oh, ok. Thanks Guys. I saw it from a distance and it was dark.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area