HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:04 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Oh, and btw, even if Saskatchewan has a higher attendance rate, does that necessarily make them "better" or "more deserving" than anyone else?

I don't think so.
More deserving of what?

From what I can see, you are the only one tossing those words around?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:11 AM
DRINK

Didn't Winnipeg get under 20 000 a couple years ago for a playoff game? It's the same thing every year, some of you seem surprised.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:22 AM
Movin' on up

Well, since we are delving into the whole stats argument, can someone with tons of free time on their hands please dig some up of EVERY team so we can see who is the "best" and the "worst", now that a thread about a new stadium development has been turned into yet another dick measuring contest from the western provinces trying to prove how Winnipeg can't support this or that, can't do anything right, blah blah blah

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:24 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
More deserving of what?

From what I can see, you are the only one tossing those words around?
Hey CCF, did you miss this post? He's from Saskatchewan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
I don't think you guys deserve a new stadium. You can't even come close to selling out a playoff game.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:25 AM

I'm surprised no one has argued the fact that there is likely less to do in a city the size of either Regina or Saskatoon than in a city the size of Winnipeg. That may partially account for their reliable high attendance!

I probably shouldn't have said that...Remember, I don't know you people and I mean no harm!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:30 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Interesting....such as?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:32 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Hey CCF, did you miss this post? He's from Saskatchewan.
So what? He is a Lions fans.

Secondly, where did he say Saskatchewan was more deserving of a new venue? He said Winnipeg didn't deserve one. No where was SK mentioned.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:37 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
So what? He is a Lions fans.

Secondly, where did he say Saskatchewan was more deserving of a new venue? He said Winnipeg didn't deserve one. No where was SK mentioned.

Who is he to say whether Winnipeg deserves a stadium? Yes he has an opinion, and has the right to say so, but then again, I could say:

"Saskatchewan doesn't deserve all the extra economic benefits coming in from the oil and gas industry. You have suffered a long exodus of young people who don't really want to be there, but may consider moving back ONLY because of the newfound prosperity; and so-called cheaper lifestyle, but for no other reason".

Stupid statements like that which have no merit, but somehow boneheads feel the need to come on here and pollute threads.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:39 AM
Movin' on up

Can we please stick to developments and now end the lecture of what Winnipeg doesn't deserve and the dick measuring contest that people from Saskatchewan have started?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:51 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Yikes, it's merely a point of discussion. We are discussing the posibility of Winnipeg getting a new stadium. Part of that discussion entails whether or not the lack of support for the season's biggest games will factor into building a new stadium.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:16 AM

A new stadium will help draw in new fans, at least in the short term. It's up to the team to keep them.

i think the lousy attendance was due in part to it being a long weekend. I was up at the lake getting in one last hot tub.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:14 AM

Wow. Sorry for the digression.

The only reason I piped up, was that I was watching the game on TV and was shocked at how many empty seats there was at the game. I thought it was actually embarrassing how empty it was. I've been to the stadium a few times and have seen the inside as well. The seating is pretty good, the boxes seem ok and the dressing rooms are pretty good.

I can't fathom spending the kind of money it will take to build a new stadium, when the other (underutilized) one still serves it's purpose well.

The other embarrassment was the night before, when CanadInns Stadium hosted the Hardy Cup (the Canada West Football Championship). There wasn't even 1000 people there. Half the fans were from Regina.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:39 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Wow. Sorry for the digression.

The only reason I piped up, was that I was watching the game on TV and was shocked at how many empty seats there was at the game. I thought it was actually embarrassing how empty it was. I've been to the stadium a few times and have seen the inside as well. The seating is pretty good, the boxes seem ok and the dressing rooms are pretty good.

I can't fathom spending the kind of money it will take to build a new stadium, when the other (underutilized) one still serves it's purpose well.

The other embarrassment was the night before, when CanadInns Stadium hosted the Hardy Cup (the Canada West Football Championship). There wasn't even 1000 people there. Half the fans were from Regina.
Yeah.. thanks for the update sporty. I remember back when Saskatchewan didn't make the playoffs for 16 years straight and there was fewer than 18,000 fans per game. The team was on its death bed with nothing but a tin cup in hand .. begging the rest of the CFL for a nickel.

The bottom line is there is a proposed top notch stadium in Winnipeg. In today's sporting reality in this city the current stadium doesn't meet the nessesary standard. Comparing CanadInns Stadium to either CanWest Park, or MTS Centre it is obvious the Bombers are playing in a substandard venue. Even within the current stadium the Bombers soldout over half its home games.

The only reason you think CanadInns Stadium is a worthy stadium is because Regina has an equally old and out of date stadium with all the unfriendly amedities... except there is no proposed state of the art stadium proposed for Regina.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:43 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Yeah....see there's a difference between missing the playoffs for a decade and having bad attendance and then there's hosting a playoff game and having bad attendance.

See the difference?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Well, since we are delving into the whole stats argument, can someone with tons of free time on their hands please dig some up of EVERY team so we can see who is the "best" and the "worst", now that a thread about a new stadium development has been turned into yet another dick measuring contest from the western provinces trying to prove how Winnipeg can't support this or that, can't do anything right, blah blah blah
I dont have tons of free time and so I am copying this from another site, so no yelling at me if there are any errors:

Team - Total - Average - Sellouts, Change from 2006
1. Edmonton - 331,591 - 36,843 - 0 SO, -2.7%
2. BC Lions – 292,108 - 32,456 - 0 SO, +4.1%
3. Calgary - 281,214 - 31,246 - 2 SO, +1.5%
4. Toronto - 278,380 - 30,931 - 0 SO, +4.2%
5. Saskatchewan - 252,483 - 28,054 - 6 SO, +10.9%
6. Winnipeg - 249,309 - 27,701 - 5 SO, +2.6%
7. Hamilton - 208,805 - 23,201 - 0 SO, -13.2%
8. Montreal - 206,126 - 22,903 - 8 SO, -0.5%
CFL - 2,100,016 - 29,167 - 21 SO, +0.8%

Notes:
- Highest average league attendance since 1983.
- Largest announced crowd: 46,704 - July 20, Commonwealth Stadium, SSK 20 @ EDM 21.
- Smallest announced Crowd: 19,322 - Oct. 26, Ivor Wynne Stadium, BC 27 @ HAM 19.
- Highest average road attendance: Saskatchewan – 32,644
- Lowest average road attendance: British Columbia – 27,123
- Edmonton: lowest attendance since 2001.
- Hamilton: lowest attendance since 2003.
- Saskatchewan: highest attendance since 2003.
- Winnipeg: highest attendance since 2001.
- Toronto: highest attendance since 1992.
- 6th consecutive season average attendance has increased.

and in regards to Winnipeg 'deserving' a new stadium... if they get the money and support together and build one, then they absolutely do. Good for them, and good for the league so I hope they do. And here's hoping Regina can do something about Taylor Field soon.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
...begging the rest of the CFL for a nickel.
I could be mistaken but im pretty sure the Riders have never taken a handout from the league. Prov government and city...maybe. Did we need a telethon to raise money to save the team?, absolutely, and the great fans came through and raised the money

Winnipeg on the other hand has received money from the league to 'pay' for the inconvenience of swtiching divisions all the time (not related to needing the money or poor fan support I know, but i thought I would throw it out there) Its those damn eastern teams (ie. TO and Ott) that get the handouts.

...and ceedub I cant beleive you brought that other game up...lol

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:53 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Yeah....see there's a difference between missing the playoffs for a decade and having bad attendance and then there's hosting a playoff game and having bad attendance.

See the difference?
Yes.. the fans didn't show up.. and the team couldn't afford to field a team worth spit.

It is very clear... thanks.

This is exactly the reason why the Bombers are pushing for a new stadium which would generate a significantly higher revenue. The proposed stadium would generate year round revenue with its attached retail component. In addition to luxury suites.. club seats ... better concessions.. and comfort levels way beyond the current allumium benches.

The new stadium would be on a completely higher level than every other stadium in the CFL... especially compared to the current one in Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:02 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownRiderFan View Post
I could be mistaken but im pretty sure the Riders have never taken a handout from the league. Prov government and city...maybe. Did we need a telethon to raise money to save the team?, absolutely, and the great fans came through and raised the money

Winnipeg on the other hand has received money from the league to 'pay' for the inconvenience of swtiching divisions all the time (not related to needing the money or poor fan support I know, but i thought I would throw it out there) Its those damn eastern teams (ie. TO and Ott) that get the handouts.

I believe the telethon was to raise money for a new turf for the field.. of which failed miserably. The team almost suspended its operations, until CocaCola came to its rescue and paid for the new turf in the late eighties. The government did hand out money to rescue that miserable team, although I do think the CFL also had to come to the team's aid at one point.. but it might have been Calgary.

As far as the fees the CFL paid to the Bombers was in no way a handout. It was a fee to make up for a loss of revenues, resulting it removing what was strong rivaleries with Western Division teams. I'm sorry but Hamilton and Toronoto don't draw high fan interest.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownRiderFan View Post
I could be mistaken but im pretty sure the

Me too... I didn't mention the score. Still is a shame that a team has two consecutive 8-0 seasons and they can't get more than 500 fans to a game.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:30 AM
Movin' on up

Holy fuck people.

You made your point.

Can we please move on now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan