HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
This article might be of interest. The LAFC stadium (also designed by Gensler) has some kind of pool in the supporters section. I've never been to Banc of California stadium but by all accounts it is world-class. The costs were pretty similar to Austin FC ($250m) when originally announced but the final cost was reported at 350 mil. Hopefully we get something just as nice as that one.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...lafcs-new-home

On a side note, I think the airplane wing look for the roof is pretty unique but would make a lot more sense if there was some aviation connection. During one of the early focus groups, we were asked about various locations. Downtown and the Domain were discussed as favorites, but so was Mueller. I wonder if this design was originally pitched with Mueller in mind?

As another side note, a green/living roof canopy would have been pretty cool given the logo.

I doubt Muller was ever an option. All of the land is designated for other uses and can't be changed. It just looks like a metal canopy to me. On the subject of the cover, there will be a giant 400 food wide Austin FC logo on the top of the canopy that you will be able to see from a plane.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I doubt Muller was ever an option. All of the land is designated for other uses and can't be changed. It just looks like a metal canopy to me. On the subject of the cover, there will be a giant 400 food wide Austin FC logo on the top of the canopy that you will be able to see from a plane.
You're right, I don't think they meant within the boundaries of Mueller. Some focus group members described how there would be a lot of restaurants at Mueller but I pointed out these were probably not going to be walkable from any stadium. They were never specific about an address and were similarly vague when asking about the Domain as a location.

The framing was more like, "if the stadium was located near X, how would that impact your desire to attend games?"

As for the aviation thing, I think someone described it as resembling an airplane wing during a recent public info session and it got me thinking. Seems like something an architect would likely do as a nod to an old airport. It's a bit harder to pay homage to an old chemical facility and dumping ground.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:32 AM

Considering how slowly Mueller is developing, to me it doesn't seem like the developers and projects are fully established yet. I don't get why they're not developing more of the Aldrich Street area at once.

It's sad. I'd be willing to bet that The Grove is finished years before Mueller is.

Mueller would have been perfect for the Austin FC stadium but I guess the planning (at least) is too far along there. Just not the execution.

I can't help but wonder where Austin FC is going to build its training facility. I haven't heard anything at all about that. I'd guess somewhere in West Austin since arguably that's where most of their players are going to live?

That LAFC stadium is freaking beautiful, by the way.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:34 PM
World Traveler

I've been wondering about the training facility as well. Anyone hear anything about that?

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:51 PM

I believe there's been discussion about having it up in Round Rock.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Considering how slowly Mueller is developing, to me it doesn't seem like the developers and projects are fully established yet. I don't get why they're not developing more of the Aldrich Street area at once.

It's sad. I'd be willing to bet that The Grove is finished years before Mueller is.

Mueller would have been perfect for the Austin FC stadium but I guess the planning (at least) is too far along there. Just not the execution.

I can't help but wonder where Austin FC is going to build its training facility. I haven't heard anything at all about that. I'd guess somewhere in West Austin since arguably that's where most of their players are going to live?

I have to disagree about the Muller progress. Granted, it paused when the housing economy collapsed like everything else but since around 2012 it's been non-stop massive construction.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:

I don't think Mueller was going to work for the taxing structure they wanted (I don't think there's a large enough contiguous block that hasn't already transferred ownership to Catellus ).

My guess for training is somewhere in east Austin, outside the 183 loop. But closely adjacent to it, which will give a quick trip (via 183 toll) up to McKalla.

That will also allow for community benefits to east Austin.

Hmm, the term sheet stated:

"After the completion of the final Term Sheet and before the
execution of the final and definitive Stadium Agreement, the
parties intend to enter into discussions regarding the
development and operation of a MLS training complex that
may include youth soccer activities and programs.
• The City shall work in good faith to identify a mutually
agreeable site for the development of a MLS training
complex. "

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...heet_FINAL.pdf

But I don't actually see anything to that effect in the stadium contract.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I don't think Mueller was going to work for the taxing structure they wanted (I don't think there's a large enough contiguous block that hasn't already transferred ownership to Catellus ).

My guess for training is somewhere in east Austin, outside the 183 loop. But closely adjacent to it, which will give a quick trip (via 183 toll) up to McKalla.

That will also allow for community benefits to east Austin.

Hmm, the term sheet stated:

"After the completion of the final Term Sheet and before the
execution of the final and definitive Stadium Agreement, the
parties intend to enter into discussions regarding the
development and operation of a MLS training complex that
may include youth soccer activities and programs.
• The City shall work in good faith to identify a mutually
agreeable site for the development of a MLS training
complex. "

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...heet_FINAL.pdf

But I don't actually see anything to that effect in the stadium contract.
That would be a great place for it but think it's more likely they go to Cedar Park or another municipality that isn't going to be such a headache.

Some areas they identified in that area are the Bolm District Park at 183 and Bolm, the Expo Center and Walnut Creek Sports Complex neat 290 and 183. All of those places would need a public vote though since they are all parkland. I feel like the Expo center would rather save space for tourist developments.

Quote:
Bolm Road Property
Owner Address Acreage Utilization
Austin Parks and Recreation Department 6700 Bolm Rd, Austin, TX 78725
68 acres
Tier 1
This site is under consideration for a practice complex/auxiliary site.
 Traffic
• This site is directly accessible from regional freeway US 183, and secondarily from
SH 71 and IH 35, which allow connection to various areas inside and outside of Austin.
• A transportation analysis would be needed to assess impacts to the adjacent transportation network from traffic generated by events, including arterial streets that provide access to these freeways.
• The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority (CTRMA) is reconstructing US 183 to provide a new tolled expressway for eight miles between US 290 and SH 71. The project will also upgrade non-tolled lanes and provide pedestrian and bicycle facilities to be completed in 2020. Approved project design schematics remove the existing grade-separated bridge and intersections with Bolm Road with US 183. Motor vehicles accessing the site would be required to use the one-way northbound US 183 general lanes and use downstream crossovers to reverse direction of travel. A pedestrian bridge crossing over US 183 is proposed at Bolm Road.
 Opportunities
• All general community benefits listed on pages 10 and 11 apply to this site.
• This parkland is completely undeveloped.
• This location may have the opportunity to increase employment opportunities for community members within walking and biking distance to the facility in an area where the unemployment rate is approximately 6.1%.
• Selection and utilization of this specific site will allow the City of Austin to advance strategic goals associated with the Eastern Crescent Initiative (i.e. create economic opportunities, create employment opportunities, and activate a historically underserved area).
• Fully developed multipurpose fields, with an appropriately negotiated agreement, will allow for enhanced access to well-maintained multipurpose fields for inter- scholastic activities, soccer tournament activity, and usage by the general public.
25 | P a g e
The Parks and Recreation Department currently has more requests for use of soccer fields than resources to meet the demand. Public availability of well-maintained multipurpose fields will fill an existing service gap.
• Surrounding privately owned land allows for possible complimentary commercial development (hotel, restaurant, retail, health/medical clinic, etc.)
 Challenges
• This location does have neighborhoods and residential housing to the north. While
there is also neighborhoods and residential housing to the west, it is buffered by Highway 183. Special consideration with regards to impacts and associated mitigation measures for conditions related to noise levels/noise pollution and light pollution may be considered. Light and noise has the potential of disrupting the perceived/actual peace and comfort of neighborhoods. Many tools and technologies exist to mitigate the possible disturbances; specifics will need exploration to ensure concerns are addressed.
• Allowable development on parkland may limit opportunities for complementary commercial development, such as sports or health clinics, a comprehensive wellness complex, etc.
• Because this space is undeveloped, there are few significant challenges aside from the exceptions above. One additional consideration, the Council-appointed Parks and Recreation Board has identified and issued a resolution to Council to consider a Request for Information (RFI) for this parkland specific to a music amphitheater.

Quote:
Walnut Creek Sports Complex
Austin Parks and Recreation Department 7800 Johnny Morris Rd, Austin, TX 78724 228 acres
Tier 2
This site is under consideration for a practice complex/auxiliary site.
 Traffic
• This site is accessible from regional freeways US 183, US 290, and SH 130, which
allow connection to various areas inside and outside of Austin.
• The site acreage has the potential to provide on-site parking opportunities. A transportation analysis would be needed to assess impacts to the adjacent transportation network from traffic generated by events, including arterial streets that provide access to these freeways.
 Opportunities
• This location may have the opportunity to increase employment opportunities for community members within walking and biking distance to the facility in an area where the unemployment rate is approximately 8.4%.
• Selection and utilization of this specific site will allow the City of Austin to advance strategic goals associated with the Eastern Crescent Initiative (i.e. create economic opportunities, create employment opportunities, and activate a historically underserved area).
• This complex has existing tennis courts and has been identified as an appropriate space for a sports complex. There are multiple stakeholders who have expressed interest in a development and use partnership.
• This location does have neighborhoods and residential housing in proximity to the southern side of the park. Its proximity to neighborhoods will require special consideration with regards to impacts and associated mitigation measures for
23 | P a g e
conditions related to noise levels/noise pollution and light pollution. Light and noise has the potential of disrupting the perceived/actual peace and comfort of neighborhoods. Many tools and technologies exist to mitigate the possible disturbances; specifics will need exploration to ensure concerns are addressed.
• Fully developed multipurpose fields, with an appropriately negotiated agreement, will allow for enhanced access to well-maintained multipurpose fields for inter- scholastic activities, soccer tournament activity and usage by the general public. The Parks and Recreation Department currently has more requests for use of soccer fields than resources to meet the demand. Public availability of well-maintained multipurpose fields will fill an existing service gap.
• Surrounding privately owned land allows for possible complimentary commercial development (hotel, restaurant, retail, health/medical clinic, etc.)
 Challenges
• Allowable development on parkland may limit opportunities for complementary
commercial development, such as sports or health clinics, a comprehensive wellness complex, etc.
• Because this space is virtually undeveloped, it has been identified as appropriate for a sports complex and there has been an expressed interest in development. There are few significant challenges other than that which is listed above.

Quote:
Exposition Center Property
Travis County/City of Austin 7311 Decker Ln, Austin, TX 78724 127 acres
Tier 2
In July, 2016, the City of Austin and Travis County engaged Hunden Strategic Partners to conduct a market, financial impact, and planning study to determine the need for and sustainability of the renovation and/or expansion of the Travis County Exposition Center. In summary, the report recommended renovations and expansion plans specific to “ag-related shows and other events that typically use such facilities”. It also stated development at the Exposition Center may take some of the burden of the oversubscribed downtown venues. It is unclear as to the compatibility of a Major League Sports stadium and ag-related events; however, additional exploration may provide clarity.
Austin Sports and Entertainment has expressed interest in raising the capital necessary to build an extensive entertainment complex to accommodate both Major League Soccer, Rodeo Austin, and other public event/entertainment opportunities.
 Traffic
• This site is accessible from regional freeways US 183, US 290, and SH 130, which
allow connection to various areas inside and outside of Austin.
• The site acreage has the potential to provide on-site parking opportunities. A transportation analysis would be needed to assess impacts to the adjacent transportation network from traffic generated by events, including arterial streets that provide access to these freeways.
 Opportunities
• This location has the potential to increase employment opportunities for community members within walking and biking distance to the facility in an area where the unemployment rate is approximately 8.4%.
• Because this site is not located in close proximity to neighborhoods or residential spaces, the light and noise pollution considerations or mitigation measures will be
19 | P a g e
less of a concern. However, exploration of standard mitigation considerations associated with best building practices are recommended.
• Fully developed multipurpose fields, with an appropriately negotiated agreement, will allow for enhanced access to well-maintained multipurpose fields for inter- scholastic activities, soccer tournament activity, and usage by the general public. The Parks and Recreation Department currently has more requests for use of soccer fields than resources to meet the demand. Public availability of well-maintained multipurpose fields will fill an existing service gap.
• If this were a mutually agreed upon development site, a stadium on this property may relieve concerns related to traffic and over usage of downtown park spaces for events, as outlined in the Special Events Task Force recommendations. Each individual event promoter/stakeholder will need to be individually engaged with regards to consideration of relocation to this space.
• Travis County has expressed interest in exploring opportunities for improvements to the Travis County Exposition Center as it relates to the design vision created and promoted by Austin Sports and Entertainment.
 Challenges
• While the future vision for an entertainment complex is appealing, this site and the
surrounding underdeveloped space is not currently consistent with successfully operating Major League Soccer Stadiums across the country and in Canada.
• In a very limited stakeholder discussion, some community members have expressed opposition to a Major League Soccer stadium citing its inconsistency with the recommendation of the Hunden report and the perception that baseball facilities are more consistent with the perceived need and expressed desire of the community.
• The timing associated with the completion of the Walter E. Long Park Master Planning process, which includes a commercial and economic overlay, will conflict with the opportunity to consider a holistic decision regarding Walter E. Long Park and the Travis County Exposition Center complementary proposed uses.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:42 PM

I could have sworn I saw them state they're going with a private site for the practice facility. Let me see if I can find what I'm thinking about.

edit: here it was

"Team officials hope to break ground at the stadium site by September and are finalizing plans that would allow construction to begin on a training facility at a yet-to-be-named private site."

https://www.statesman.com/sports/201...th-local-roots

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
I could have sworn I saw them state they're going with a private site for the practice facility. Let me see if I can find what I'm thinking about.

"Team officials hope to break ground at the stadium site by September and are finalizing plans that would allow construction to begin on a training facility at a yet-to-be-named private site."

Nice. I hope it's not in Round Rock. No one wants to go to Round Rock if they don't have to. (Trust me, I lived there.)

I'm sure the players and personnel would be happier to have it in (the much nicer area of) West Austin but "training complex that
may include youth soccer activities and programs" makes me think they'll want to put it in East Austin for the "community benefits" aspect. I was thinking that this UT-owned land at Braker and Stonelake would be pretty ideal. It's really close to the stadium/Domain.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:

Good find. Have they said how many acres they're looking for? Probably between 30-40?

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm still holding out hope for Burger Center.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:53 PM

I live in Round Rock...in regards to a recent post.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:12 PM

We got our first Sponsor!

Via Daniel Salazar at ABJ

St. David's will get naming rights for the team's practice facility, the St. David's Performance Center. And St. David's will have primary branding rights on the training jerseys for the team and staff.

These are not the jerseys the team will wear when it takes the field for actual games in 2021. That sponsorship is expected at a later time — and could be a major deal for a local corporation or national brand. Other MLS jersey sponsorships have clocked in at around $2 million to $5 million annually, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Austin-based hospital system will be its official health care and training partner. St. David's will provide health care services at all Austin FC home matches and stadium events, as well as wellness services for the team's players and staff.

Austin FC said it would announce the location of the St. David's Performance Center "in the coming months." The team has kept the search for a practice facility closer to the vest compared with last year's search for a stadium site, which spanned several months and sparked a larger political fight over the fate of McKalla Place.

But Austin city staff have floated at least one location, a parkland tract near I-35 and State Highway 45, as a potential practice facility, according to records obtained last May by the Austin Business Journal.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:40 PM

I found it interesting that the city of Austin would float a location near I-35 and 45 since that area is mostly Round Rock so I looked up the city limits map and it looks like the plot of land right by Austin's Park & Pizza is officially part of Austin. My guess is that's the spot they floated. It would be a perfect spot for any kids to visit.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
I found it interesting that the city of Austin would float a location near I-35 and 45 since that area is mostly Round Rock so I looked up the city limits map and it looks like the plot of land right by Austin's Park & Pizza is officially part of Austin. My guess is that's the spot they floated. It would be a perfect spot for any kids to visit.

The parcel they referred to is owned by the Austin PARD but in the Pflugerville city limits.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:02 PM

Oh weird. I lived right there at the Meadows at Cambridge Heights for the past 10 years until moving recently. That area is being rapidly developed. There are apartments and houses going on many of those lots.

On the other side of Greenlawn there is a "$200 million Domain-like development" in the works. Article on that:

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...to-round-rock/

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

There is over 150 acres of land among 3 parcels owned by a single family trust along southern 290 just east of 183. There would be more than enough land for a cool complex.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:50 PM
Member since 2001

Austin FC sent out an email today stating they will have a "major" announcement on Monday...

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:15 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Austin FC sent out an email today stating they will have a "major" announcement on Monday...
Season ticket deposits

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin