HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
2950 Prince Edward Ave.
(Mount St. Joseph's Parking Lot)

Over 500 rental homes...
Thanks to the Broadway Corridor Plan.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:36 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Very solid development for Kingsway. 500 rental homes is huge.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Jim Pattison proposing a strata building on Broadway at Balaclava, with grocery store on the main floor.

[shape your city]

3000 Block West Broadway, South Side: Big O Tires, Stock Home Design, Neverland Tea Salon, Le Petit Spa, Circle K, Subway

Src: Google Street View May 2022: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZYSSTshbPoQS7Vbd6

Src: https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/3048-3080-w-broadway

Last edited by Jimbo604; Feb 28, 2024 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 5:37 PM

Another surface parking lot dies and this will greatly help foot traffic progress south across 12th Ave.

I think I went to the Toyota dealership site redevelopment open house in... oof.. 2018? Wonder if they'll propose something soon too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 5:42 PM
SkyTrain Nut

TIL: The decking for the East end of the False Creek pedestrian path was temporary and has been for nearly 40 years. I could of sworn they reconstructed it as a permanent fixture after the Expo.

https://globalnews.ca/video/10316829...-deconstructed

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

3000 Block West Broadway, South Side: Big O Tires, Stock Home Design, Neverland Tea Salon, Le Petit Spa, Circle K, Subway

Src: Google Street View May 2022: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZYSSTshbPoQS7Vbd6

Src: https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/3048-3080-w-broadway
I no longer live in the neighbourhood but that's a good location for a grocery store. Safeway would really be the only option for central Kits. Perhaps an Urban Fare in the cards?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
TIL: The decking for the East end of the False Creek pedestrian path was temporary and has been for nearly 40 years. I could of sworn they reconstructed it as a permanent fixture after the Expo.

https://globalnews.ca/video/10316829...-deconstructed
Yeah I was seeing reconstruction for 2025 or 2028. Not sure which is a start or completion date.

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...ark-south.aspx

"We invite you to envision a new kind of park in Olympic Village, including the renewal of the False Creek waterfront between Creekside Community Centre and Science World."

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/east-park
"Spring 2024 - Weaving: In this second round of engagement we will share a summary of input received in round 1 along with two preliminary concept plans for the south side of the site between the Seaside Greenway and East 1st Avenue. Your feedback will help us refine a recommended concept plan.

Fall 2024 - Reflecting: We will share a summary of engagement input received in round 2 along with a recommended concept plan which will then be presented to the elected Park Board for decision."

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:10 PM

"Daylighting the shoreline
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedinEmail this link
The East Park project area includes a portion of the False Creek waterfront between Creekside Community Centre and Science World. The waterfront here is paved with a deck structure that covers the shoreline. This deck was originally provided as a temporary structure in preparation for the Expo ‘86 World’s Fair. Built in the early 1980s, the deck is nearly 40 years old and the underlying timber piles and cross beams that support the concrete deck have begun to degrade. The City is managing and maintaining the deck to ensure it continues to be safe for public use; weight restrictions have been introduced and vehicle access to the deck surface is limited.

The necessity of the deck removal in the future provides an opportunity to envision a new shoreline condition for this portion of the False Creek waterfront."

Looks like it might be gone as we know it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:14 PM
SkyTrain Nut

They may be trying to start the process now rather than have another Pier 58 incident. It would be kinda of nutty not to replace it along the park. It's a very active place.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
They may be trying to start the process now rather than have another Pier 58 incident. It would be kinda of nutty not to replace it along the park. It's a very active place.
i would be surprised if they replace it. they will probably put it in a natural state. so we will probably loose a lot of feet.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
"Daylighting the shoreline
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedinEmail this link
The East Park project area includes a portion of the False Creek waterfront between Creekside Community Centre and Science World. The waterfront here is paved with a deck structure that covers the shoreline. This deck was originally provided as a temporary structure in preparation for the Expo ‘86 World’s Fair. Built in the early 1980s, the deck is nearly 40 years old and the underlying timber piles and cross beams that support the concrete deck have begun to degrade. The City is managing and maintaining the deck to ensure it continues to be safe for public use; weight restrictions have been introduced and vehicle access to the deck surface is limited.

The necessity of the deck removal in the future provides an opportunity to envision a new shoreline condition for this portion of the False Creek waterfront."

Looks like it might be gone as we know it.

Indeed a bit shocking after it has been that way for so long.

East Park shoreline - right red hand line. Only my opinion, but I'm assuming they'll just restore the shoreline similar to the natural state similar to outside of the False Creek Recreation centre. City likes natural foreshores and that solves the maintenance issue. Then put a new foot/bike paths in to connect through east park. Could be a bit tighter than it was before, but it looks like there is room. And East Park could give paths some additional room that has been tied up as construction staging lot, to date.

Same idea on north side (left of pic)..

However, for Science World obviously they can't restore the foreshore at that location the building occupies the space. Will they keep the pier walkway around the building, not sure if it is integral to the structure. If not, perhaps a hair cut.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Indeed a bit shocking after it has been that way for so long.

East Park shoreline - right red hand line. Only my opinion, but I'm assuming they'll just restore the shoreline similar to the natural state similar to outside of the False Creek Recreation centre. City likes natural foreshores and that solves the maintenance issue. Then put a new foot/bike paths in to connect through east park. Could be a bit tighter than it was before, but it looks like there is room. And East Park could give paths some additional room that has been tied up as construction staging lot, to date.

Same idea on north side (left of pic)..

However, for Science World obviously they can't restore the foreshore at that location the building occupies the space. Will they keep the pier walkway around the building, not sure if it is integral to the structure. If not, perhaps a hair cut.
The deck is far more extensive than you imagine, unless you're saying the city will landfill up to the line you draw.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Only my opinion, but I'm assuming they'll just restore the shoreline similar to the natural state similar to outside of the False Creek Recreation centre. City likes natural foreshores and that solves the maintenance issue. Then put a new foot/bike paths in to connect through east park.
Would be my assumption as well. With the removal of the old bandstand I suspect the bike path will wrap around it to the south, connect properly to Quebec St and Central (I swear I saw somewhere that Centra is to tie in somehow further east?).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Would be my assumption as well. With the removal of the old bandstand I suspect the bike path will wrap around it to the south, connect properly to Quebec St and Central (I swear I saw somewhere that Centra is to tie in somehow further east?).
There is a weird one block bike lane between Central and McDonald's that has been there for years. But it's not clear how you'd reasonably cross Quebec there, and the Main side is kind of a dead end as well.

It looks like the Quebec side of Tesoro is "temporary" asphalt and they will continue the bike lane that current ends south of there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:12 PM

I wonder if it's politically viable to extend the shoreline to the edge of the current deck. Solves everyone's problems, except some NIMBYs will say that a starfish might get displaced (can starfish even survive in False Creek? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if I've ever seen one in False Creek proper).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I wonder if it's politically viable to extend the shoreline to the edge of the current deck. Solves everyone's problems, except some NIMBYs will say that a starfish might get displaced (can starfish even survive in False Creek? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if I've ever seen one in False Creek proper).
Good question, I can't recall seeing any but you do see some cool stuff when the tide is out.

I doubt they will touch the shoreline. Any disturbing of the "seabed" of False Creek stirs a bunch of toxic crap up too.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:20 AM

The Science World deck rehabilitation will happen in 2028-2032

Quote:
The Expo Deck surrounds the False-Creek-facing section of Science World, to the north, south, and east of the structure. It was built in 1984 for the 1986 World Expo, with the city saying the structure was meant for “temporary purposes with an anticipated five-year service life.”

However, four decades later, the deck remains. The city explains recent inspections have shown some “structural elements” are nearing the end of their lifespan.

“The City is looking to hire a consultant to prepare a study that will inform our decisions on the next steps, including options to fully or partially remove the deck, or replace the deck. The consultant will also help with next steps for the project, including detailed design and engineering support during future construction phase,” the statement from the city reads.
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...xpo-deck-work/

They did rehab on 400 steel piles a while back as well.

https://www.industra.ca/projects/sci...ehabilitation/

With all the geese droppings on the grass/sidewalk around there it's not a huge loss.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Good question, I can't recall seeing any but you do see some cool stuff when the tide is out.

I doubt they will touch the shoreline. Any disturbing of the "seabed" of False Creek stirs a bunch of toxic crap up too.
False Creek is pretty toxic, period. I wouldn't be too concerned about stirring up a bit more toxic sludge, but even if we were wouldn't it be great to dredge it out at the same time? That's the usual process for land reclamation.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
False Creek is pretty toxic, period. I wouldn't be too concerned about stirring up a bit more toxic sludge, but even if we were wouldn't it be great to dredge it out at the same time? That's the usual process for land reclamation.
False Creek itself isn't as toxic as you might think. While I don't think anybody wants to be swimming in it, it's still home to wildlife.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
False Creek itself isn't as toxic as you might think. While I don't think anybody wants to be swimming in it, it's still home to wildlife.
The Vancouver Landfill and Chernobyl are home to wildlife too. If wildlife is able to eek out an existence in False Creek's current state, I wouldn't be too concerned about disturbing the eastern coastline which I'm sure is the most polluted part as it's furthest from the open ocean. The herring eggs are barely being kept on life support out at Granville Island.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver