HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:46 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Goddammit no one prepares you for how hard this gig actually is.
Give it about 10 years, and you will be wishing for today.

Wiping poop will not seem that bad.

(just kidding.. life is so much better now)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:54 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Give it about 10 years, and you will be wishing for today.

(just kidding.. life is so much better now)
Not even poop wiping. More just full demon toddler. Turns four soon but my friend said his son was the worst at that age. I hope not.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:59 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Not even poop wiping. More just full demon toddler. Turns four soon but my friend said his son was the worst at that age. I hope not.
It depends on the temperament of the kid. The worst kids inherit their annoying personality from the mom. Let her know that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:02 AM
Fake News

Quote:
It depends on the temperament of the kid. The worst kids inherit their annoying personality from the mom. Let her know that.
Oh she knows..

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:04 AM
Mooderator

I am suprised you are still alive

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I am suprised you are still alive
She said it herself. Particularly with the picky eating lol! I dare not say it though.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:25 PM

I went on a 5 day trip and I got back Monday afternoon. I went straight from the airport to pick up the kids at school... they weren't expecting me, so it was a real surprise. It was the first time in a long time I got the "run full speed out the door and jump into dad's arms" treatment. Man, bottle that shit up, it's the best.

It's nice to know they missed me

And to o-tac's point, toddlerhood is crazy. It's like they suddenly alternate between cute sweetness and full on demon spawn, and you never quite know what you're getting

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

They're made adorable for a reason - so you'll take care of them even if they're a pain in the ass.

La nature est bien faite.

A form of intelligent design, I guess.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
I've often felt that the true moment you know you've "arrived" as a parent is the FIRST time you've caught a child's piping-hot vomit in your cupped hands to avoid having it hit the car floor.

I also will accept looking in the rear-view mirror at your toddler in a car-seat and wondering "hey... how did you get chocolate all over you? I didn't give you any... choc...."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:16 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
I've often felt that the true moment you know you've "arrived" as a parent is the FIRST time you've caught a child's piping-hot vomit in your cupped hands to avoid having it hit the car floor.

I also will accept looking in the rear-view mirror at your toddler in a car-seat and wondering "hey... how did you get chocolate all over you? I didn't give you any... choc...."
Ha.

My old Dodge Caravan has some vomity and poopy secrets. I think I cleaned it up pretty good though before I sold it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ha.

My old Dodge Caravan has some vomity and poopy secrets. I think I cleaned it up pretty good though before I sold it.
Once, when changing my son's diaper, he let out a terrific shart with hit the tv set about 3 feet away from the end of the diaper table.

I always knew there was a lot of crap on TV, but this was over the top.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

And I'll take terrible twos and terrifying threes over surely seventeens any day.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:36 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Once, when changing my son's diaper, he let out a terrific shart with hit the tv set about 3 feet away from the end of the diaper table.

Impressive! Haha.

It is amazing how stinky kids can be. I can clear a room with one rip, depending on what I ate the day before.. but toddlers are on another level.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Ok, good. We aren't the only ones dealing with that, even though my wife thinks we are.

Like someone else said, he goes cute to demon spawn in a matter of six seconds. It's unreal.

Took him to the doctor to see if there was an issue. Since he sleeps 10+ hours a night, the doc said there is no issues with his sleep.

So I guess we just get to live with this and make it work and then we wait for the 1 year old to reach this age and we get to do it all over again.

Oh joy!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Impressive! Haha.

It is amazing how stinky kids can be. I can clear a room with one rip, depending on what I ate the day before.. but toddlers are on another level.
My toddler has reached the age where he is weaponizing his farts. He walks up, lifts his leg and lets one rip directly on you.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Yes my toddler had some terrific projectile poop when he was a baby. Found some still caked in the carpet years later.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:48 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Ok, good. We aren't the only ones dealing with that, even though my wife thinks we are.

Like someone else said, he goes cute to demon spawn in a matter of six seconds. It's unreal.

Took him to the doctor to see if there was an issue. Since he sleeps 10+ hours a night, the doc said there is no issues with his sleep.

So I guess we just get to live with this and make it work and then we wait for the 1 year old to reach this age and we get to do it all over again.

Oh joy!
Sleeping 10+ hours per night is a bad thing?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:12 PM

Out of curiosity, who amongst the Dad thread participants were hardcore, "dense urban living in condos is the best living" but changed their minds after having kids?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Out of curiosity, who amongst the Dad thread participants were hardcore, "dense urban living in condos is the best living" but changed their minds after having kids?
I would have done it, but my wife was not on board. I wanted to buy a condo when we got married but my wife preferred SFH.

That first SFH of ours was actually a new infill home in an older neighbourhood... the kind that neighbours hate because it towers over the houses on the block, etc. However, there was no backyard. Just a small back deck and parking.

We decided to move to the burbs partly out of a sense that the kids should have a yard to play in as they grew. As it turns out, the kids more or less lost interest in the backyard within about 4 years. It was extended somewhat by the pandemic, otherwise it would have been shorter.

I think in the end we probably got more mileage from the neighbourhood park that was a 90 second walk away than we do from our backyard which really isn't all that spectacular... just a little patch of grass. Even the play structure and trampoline aren't all that enticing to the kids.

In hindsight, we would have been just fine in the condo, or more specifically, with our previous, more urban SFH.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:27 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I don't know that I was ever dense urban living is best, but I appreciated walking to work and not having to drive much and always rented in places good for that. I changed that just as I got older and appreciated something quieter with a bit more space for activities. I can turn my guitar amp up a bit and not worry so much about the neighbors (at least until I turn it up to start harming my hearing as well.) I'm still close to work though. 10 or 15 minute bus ride (about a 35 minute walk), but it is a detached single family home.

But yes, a yard to play catch with the kids or to send them out to play in the snow. But I still don't drive much. The kids walk to school. We go for errands on Saturday.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada