HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:34 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Ken and I did a bunch of hard hat infilling this weekend (keep an eye out on DenverInfill all week). Captured some pretty awesome views. Here's a teaser:

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 3:18 AM
Up Up and Away

Awesome photos, Ryan.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 3:43 AM

That view down Brighton is incredible with the Union Station activity in the distance. The Brighton streetwall is really starting to form.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:33 PM

So is the DUS Bike Hub still happening? Wasn't this supposed to be finished a year or two ago?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwill04 View Post
That view down Brighton is incredible with the Union Station activity in the distance. The Brighton streetwall is really starting to form.
It is impressive even if the architecture is mostly dull. Is there any movement to better connect Wewatta and Brighton in the future so Union Station can be more easily accessible from Rino? I'm surprised they didn't build a bike/jog trail along the A-Line ROW.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:17 PM

Those are great photos Ryan and RiNo has changed so much from just before I left 2 yrs ago-that density looks like places in D.C., San Fran and even Chicago! I bet in another yr or so the entire neigborhood will be transformed-heck it already has.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:49 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

El Diablo sold to Zocalo.

S. Broadway landmark to get micro units

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisDen
A long-vacant eyesore on South Broadway is about to get a $32 million makeover.

Zocalo Community Development has signed on to develop the boarded-up First Avenue Hotel on Broadway into more than 100 affordable housing units with ground-floor retail and an adjacent parking structure.

Zocalo seeks to renovate the property last home to El Diablo restaurant, which sold at auction in December 2015 after a bankruptcy and foreclosure process that dragged on nearly three years, into a mixed residential and retail development using a financing package that includes low-income and historic tax credits.

Construction is scheduled to start in October.

. . .

“This was essentially affordable housing when it was built in 1906 in that it was a single-room occupant (hotel),” Zucker said. “Now it’s affordable, in part, because they’re smaller studios and one-bedrooms.”

. . .

Project plans by JG Architects call for restoring the hotel structure into 50 residential units, then building a five-story addition with 56 units behind the original hotel. Zucker said the apartments – studios and one-bedrooms – would average 350 square feet.

Rent would cost between $850 and $900 per month, Zucker said, depending on whether it is a studio or a one-bedroom.

. . .

In the original hotel, the 5,000-square-foot former restaurant space will be divided into two retail units. Zucker said the developers are looking for a pair of restaurant tenants – a bakery or coffee shop that would be open in the morning and a second concept for the afternoon and evening.

In the five-story addition, the ground floor will be reserved for resident amenities rather than retail, Zucker said, like a conference room and management offices. Plans also call for a parking garage with 53 spaces in a two-story structure west of the residential development on First Avenue.

. . .

Speaking to a neighborhood group in Baker, Zucker outlined a funding plan that would include low-income housing tax credit and historic investment tax credit financing, as well as an affordable housing loan from the city and county of Denver. Additional funding sources would include equity and a construction loan.

In order to make the redevelopment eligible for historic tax credits, Zucker said Zocalo is applying to list the property first on the Colorado State Historic Register, and ultimately the National Register of Historic Places. He said the development is on track to receive building permits in October.
Wonder what they need to do get the building up to code and safe.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Last edited by seventwenty; Apr 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
El Diablo sold to Zocalo.

S. Broadway landmark to get micro units

Wonder what they need to do get the building up to code and safe.
I'm glad it won't be torn down. They are building an addition which makes me think it will involve serious remodeling (gutting) of the interior.

This is the 1st Ave elevation

http://www.businessden.com/2017/04/1...t-micro-units/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:22 PM

Anyone have any insight into what's going on at 506 S. Broadway (old Caboose Hobbies store that moved to Littleton)?

It looks like a significant portion of the block is fenced off with equipment on site already, but don't recall seeing anything on here previously. Also, just a block north, some meaningful new infill along Broadway (Natural Grocers) and Lincoln (? smaller retail) are nearly complete.

Denver - City by the bay!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:25 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I'm glad it won't be torn down. They are building an addition which makes me think it will involve serious remodeling (gutting) of the interior.

This is the 1st Ave elevation

http://www.businessden.com/2017/04/1...t-micro-units/
Thank god something is happening here. The guy who ran El Diablo and tried to renovate the building is a schmuck. He didn't know what he was doing and then he'd shut his restaurants and run to the press with a sob story about civic oppression and red tape.

The building will most certainly have to be gutted though. I heard many years ago that the inside is still in 1900s hotel plumbing standards, which is to say that the bathrooms are communal. I also heard that birds have shat all over the place inside, particularly on the top floors.

$900 for a one bedroom (albeit probably a very small one) at that location is pretty tough to beat though!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:24 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I thought 1144 was going to just go behind Four Seasons from this angle but oh I was so wrong.

Edit: The black tarp is off the core which makes me think that it is now topped out. I think the wood forms will go down over the next week or so.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Apr 19, 2017 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:55 AM

Yup, the core is topped!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I thought 1144 was going to just go behind Four Seasons from this angle but oh I was so wrong.

Edit: The black tarp is off the core which makes me think that it is now topped out. I think the wood forms will go down over the next week or so.
Yeah, I've noticed from a distance that the core looks taller than 4S. And won't the crown take it a bit higher than the core?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:49 PM

Some progress on the defects front....

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/19...-breakthrough/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:52 PM

Multifamily apartments to replace closed Kmart along West Alameda Avenue

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:12 PM

As for the core of 1144 15th St-I recall Ryan saying that the steel for the crown will likey rise about 20 feet beyond the top of the core.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
Yeah, I've noticed from a distance that the core looks taller than 4S. And won't the crown take it a bit higher than the core?
From certain angles the core somehow looks taller than even the spire of 4S. From way over at City Park they look about equal in height. The little concrete pump thingy on top (or whatever it is) sticks up above the self-inking stamp building and looks like it would have to be at least as high as that spire. I don't see how 20 feet of mechanical penthouse can be added to this thing without it ending up being taller than 4S's spire. Is this an illusion? I'm thinking it has to be an illusion. I can't imagine the info we have about the height of either of these buildings is wrong.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
From certain angles the core somehow looks taller than even the spire of 4S. From way over at City Park they look about equal in height. The little concrete pump thingy on top (or whatever it is) sticks up above the self-inking stamp building and looks like it would have to be at least as high as that spire. I don't see how 20 feet of mechanical penthouse can be added to this thing without it ending up being taller than 4S's spire. Is this an illusion? I'm thinking it has to be an illusion. I can't imagine the info we have about the height of either of these buildings is wrong.
I think it's an illusion. The top of 1144 will be 603 ft while the 4S spire tops out at 641 ft. However the roof level of 4S is at 565 ft. so it will appear taller. Unless they changed the plans...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:52 PM

It does seem a wee bit taller than I was expecting, but as pointed out, probably an optical illusion. Unless there was a last minute change to bump up the height just enough so they could get that crown lighting in. That would be the best late Christmas gift ever......

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
"self inking stamp building" I had to think about that one for a minute.... lol!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West