HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 9:26 PM

Does the grant help in keeping their actual aircraft a little more secure from someone stealing them?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Saw that St George will receive a $500,000 grant to help attract air service to Denver. The grant will go towards waiving terminal fees, etc. To lure in a new air carrier. The article on KSL.com suggested that it will be either United or Frontier airlines, however, I personally think it'll be Frontier. St George currently offers a daily flight to LA that connects with United Flights there. I wouldn't see the need or the desire for United to offer a second connecting flight out of STG. IMHO
Either one is possible, and I actually like the prospects for United.

Frontier has been adding new destinations like crazy the past few months (and dropping a lot of service elsewhere). A lot of the new destinations are smaller cities like St. George where they are adding just a few flights per week. They are changing up their business model to try to deal better with the competitive landscape in Denver where they are struggling to keep up with Southwest and United.

But keep in mind that United could open SGU-DEN service with minimal investment. SkyWest already handles the SLC and LAX flights there, and it would be very easy for them to service a flight to DEN. It might even make United's operations in SGU more efficient and cost-effective to have more flights out of SGU. So while Frontier would have to make an investment in getting the ground staff and terminal facilities they need to run a flight, United already has everything in place. SGU is connected to the United network via LAX, and there are a lot of connections available there for the west coast and major eastern cities, but they can offer connections throughout the country from DEN. Delta dominates the SGU market right now with connections via SLC. United could really change the landscape by adding DEN. The question is if United sees enough of a market in SGU to make it worth competing.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 6:02 PM

@ Tony

Considering that it was an actual SkyWest pilot that broke into the aircraft using a maintenance hatch; I don't think you really need to worry about the safety of the aircraft. There are fewer than 1,000,000 licensed pilots in the United States, and not all of them are as familiar with the Canadair 500/700/900's as this guy was. I would be very surprised if any upgrades in security are made, because. . . in my opinion, they aren't needed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 12:29 PM

Utah’s SkyWest to fly for American Airlines

Steven Oberbeck, The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...lines.html.csp

SkyWest Inc., the St. George-based parent company of SkyWest Airlines, has signed on a new client — one that it hopes will provide it with big growth opportunities in the future.

The company said Wednesday it had entered into an agreement with American Airlines to operate 23 Bombardier CRJ200 regional jet aircraft under the American Eagle designation...

..SkyWest flies hundreds of planes every day for Delta Air Lines as Delta Connection and for United Airlines as United Express and Alaska Airlines...

...American isn’t the only airline to sign on as a SkyWest client in the past year.

In November, US Airways inked a three-year deal that called for SkyWest to provide daily flights to five cities from U.S. Airways’ hub in Phoenix. At that time, Kraupp said SkyWest was viewing that contract as "an entry point with US Airways and hope for it to grow in the future."

Today, with U.S. Airways and American sharing confidential data in what some are looking upon as a the prelude to a merger, SkyWest could find itself serving both parties in what could be a key combination in the airline industry. "If they were to merge — and I under stand that it is still a big ‘if’ — we could be in a good position because they both look upon SkyWest favorably," Kraupp said.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 6:15 PM

Family Dollar to build $80 million facility in St. George

The Spectrum - Lecia Parks Langston

Family Dollar Stores, Inc. will bring hundreds of new jobs to the area with the creation of an $80 million St. George distribution facility. The facility will open in the Fort Pierce Industrial Park by summer 2013. The company will provide approximately 450 full-time jobs over the next 20 years, offering nearly 350 of the jobs within the first few years after the facility opens. The Spectrum

Fort Pierce website, with pics of various clients already in place...www.fortpierceindustrialpark.com

www.fortpierceindustrialpark.com

Last edited by delts145; Oct 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 6:56 PM

Multi-million dollar sports park coming to St. George

Lecia Parks Langston - The Spectrum

A multi-million dollar sports park is taking shape off the Southern Parkway in St. George. The complex will span hundreds of acres and seek to accommodate the area's growing demand for eclectic athletic opportunities. Set for completion within five years, the complex will include a wakeboarding facility, a water park resort, motocross and go-cart tracks, a pickleball complex, a dozen baseball fields and a dozen soccer fields. The Spectrum

Owners of Red Rock Wake Park expect the facility will be a large draw, considering that it would be one of only a handful of cable-operated wakeboard parks in the country. Owners believe the wakeboard park alone would bring close to $1 million in revenue to the area each year.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 7:50 AM

That's cool!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:26 AM

Looks like Dixie State college is in the process of becoming a University and with that they are looking to change their name!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22617052&nid...cid=featured-4

This is great news! Dixie State needs a new image,name, and for sure a new mascot I mean what in the world is a bull/tornado hybrid??! The University is located in Southern Utah, not down south where the banjos play, so Dixie isn't really fitting right? Plus, Dixie leans to a negative rebel/cotton gin vibe. Saint George University or Saint George State sounds much better...Any suggestions?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:26 PM

I agree that a University name involving the title of St. George would be far better. St. George has a very classy, dignified ring to it. Just pleeease leave out the word "Valley" in the title.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:14 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

U of U SG

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:26 PM
Development Junkie

I know there was talk in the past of Dixie becoming an extension of sorts to the UofU, but I believe that effort failed; so I doubt they could/would name it University of Utah—St. George.

There is already a St. George's University in Grenada; and a St. George's University of London; but they could possibly use University of St. George (probably my favorite option).

To celebrate the uniqueness of the surrounding landscape, they could use the name Red Rock University; or University of Zion; or Virgin (river) University.

As an alumnus of both Dixie ('98) and SUU ('02), I have a suggestion; even though they'll never do it because of the bitter rivalry between the two cities. They could combine many of the overlapping administrative efforts of both schools and rename Dixie State to Southern Utah University—St. George, and alter SUU to Southern Utah University—Cedar City.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I think it's great that Dixie is becoming a University, it bothers me that all the schools in the state are becoming Universities. I completely support the need for higher education and advanced degrees, but over the past 25 years the local community college, and small 4 year colleges in the state have nearly disappeared.

One publicly run college/university in Utah County, while Southern Utah has two Universities? Seems a bit out of wack to me, Utah County needs a new two year school, or a small 4 year college (not university), not everyone can attend UVU, and in my opinion it really needs to be a non commuter based school, a school where the majority of the students live on or near campus.

Utah is down to 2 two year schools, SLCC, and Snow. CEU is now a USU extension, and honestly I don't have a problem with that. I think more small towns need to have a higher education presence.

Just my rant for the day.

Don't forget to vote \/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:41 PM

While I sympathize with Future Mayor's view that there aren't enough JC's or even smaller 4 year colleges in Utah, I have to be on the side of championing Dixie's move to become a University. I grew up in St. George, I watched as the city there grew and grew, yet the Governor (Leavitt, at the time) threw more and more money into SUU. While Dixie's student population surpassed SUU's, SUU received 10 times more money than Dixie. Leavitt even went so far as to proclaim upon being elected Governor, "This feels almost as good as the day we beat Dixie." Speaking about the old football rivalry between the two schools.
In reality, St. George is a much better environment for a year round learning facility. My hope is that Dixie becomes more a business school, while SUU remains in it's performing arts haze that will continue to keep the school virtually irrelevant. (Can you tell that I'm not an SUU fan?)

As for possible name changes: I've been going over this in my head, and I keep thinking, "University of Southern Utah" but that's another USU, so, UUD, or "University of Utah's Dixie" but putting an apostrophe in a school name is obnoxious. While we could follow the improper grammar tones of the local population and just throw random S's at the end of words that don't need them. We could call it Snows Canyon University. Or Zions Canyon University, unfortunately this would be confusing to most people, and the locals wouldn't get the joke.

Instead of calling it Dixie, we could be politically correct and call it CMU, or "Cotton Mission University"? I think CMU is my new favorite. They should have a strong ROTC program, and teach some Ag classes. Then it can be CM A&M.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:45 AM
The Drifter

Future Mayer, I am sure I read something about Snow College wanting to begin offering a Masters program in the near future. If something isn't done soon we will only have SLCC as the only 2 year institution left in Utah.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I agree that a University name involving the title of St. George would be far better. St. George has a very classy, dignified ring to it. Just pleeease leave out the word "Valley" in the title.
My thoughts exactly! It just sounds classy!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:36 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I've got it all figured out.

St George University Snow Birds!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:15 PM

There's a great thread over on the general forum of "City Discussions." The title is "Cities located near beautiful scenery." The Forumer who started the thread specifically requested that pics of Salt Lake City not be posted as it was already so well known, which I thought was kind of a nice compliment. He wanted pics of cities/metros that the forum might not be familiar with. Anyway, I placed a couple of posts of St. George and some of the incredible scenery that surrounds it. Overall, it's a pretty cool thread, and St. George really shines. I thought a few of you like Deek might be interested in checking it out. Here's the link with the two posts of St. George. Be sure and leave a comment and perhaps your favorite pic of the area.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=201941&page=5

I think I might post something about the Heber Valley area today.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:31 PM

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty cool page, and yes. . . There is a world of difference between Page and St. George. Most notably in the fact that you can drive 30 miles from St. George to Pine Valley and be in an Alpine environment. While Flagstaff is very alpine in and of itself, it is not 30 miles from Page. More like 130. I just drove it three weeks ago. It was approx 130, but it seemed like longer, there's nothing in between the two cities.

I'll try to throw some pics on that site tonight. I have some good ones of St. George.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Thanks for the link. That's a pretty cool page, and yes. . . There is a world of difference between Page and St. George. Most notably in the fact that you can drive 30 miles from St. George to Pine Valley and be in an Alpine environment. While Flagstaff is very alpine in and of itself, it is not 30 miles from Page. More like 130. I just drove it three weeks ago. It was approx 130, but it seemed like longer, there's nothing in between the two cities.

I'll try to throw some pics on that site tonight. I have some good ones of St. George.
The drive between Page, AZ (even between Kanab, UT) and Flagstaff seems like it goes on for days and days. We drive that route between PHX and SLC pretty often and that stretch is just awful every time.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esirhgih View Post
The drive between Page, AZ (even between Kanab, UT) and Flagstaff seems like it goes on for days and days. We drive that route between PHX and SLC pretty often and that stretch is just awful every time.
My wife has family in PHX, so we used to drive that every six months or so...until we stopped liking that part of the family ; I think the first 20 minutes or so south of Page is absolutely stunning. And then after that, it's excruciating right up until you go up that mountain to Flagstaff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West