HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:31 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
You will probably be able to see it from the Sheraton Parkade, or so i'd imagine as you can clearly see the rest of the skyline from there.
Thats what I thought, but the Forks is the furthest part of downtown from the Airports perspective... and the muesum may be hidden by other downtown buildings.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:36 AM
Capitalist

Do you think you could see it from here??

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 3:17 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Thats what I thought, but the Forks is the furthest part of downtown from the Airports perspective... and the muesum may be hidden by other downtown buildings.
If I remember my surroundings correctly the museum would appear a little to the south of the Portage & Main towers. I'm guessing you might be able to see the tip of its tower over the Credit Union Building & York the Hotel.

Seeing how you can see those two buildings from the airport parkade, I would think you would also be able to make out a piece of the CMHR.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 3:21 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Do you think you could see it from here??

I don't know..

When i'm viewing the skyline from the top of the parkade I have the advantage of height working on my side, so it's pretty easy to make out most of the downtown highrises.

I'm not sure what you will be able to see from the surface of the new terminal.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 5:58 AM
ILYR

It should be a pretty good view flying in from the south. There is always a good view of downtown from that angle. From ground level it will likely be obscured by the rest of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 4:49 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
It should be a pretty good view flying in from the south. There is always a good view of downtown from that angle. From ground level it will likely be obscured by the rest of downtown.
Yeah you are probibly right.. I was just hoping that people from the airport may be able to see Winnipeg's newest tower.. with the way it will be lit it would probibly be impressive from a distance.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 5:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Yeah you are probibly right.. I was just hoping that people from the airport may be able to see Winnipeg's newest tower.. with the way it will be lit it would probibly be impressive from a distance.
do you know somthing we don't?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 6:51 PM

hes probably talking about 100 main or manitoba hydro

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
The Icelandic community in Manitoba is so far removed from their roots that there really is no reason for them going back to Iceland. I doubt if many Icelandic Manitobans have family in Iceland.
In related news from the Chamber website....

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:53 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

He who controls Iceland rules the world!?!

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:50 PM
What could go wrong?

I was at the Winnipeg Airports Authority AGM this afternoon and they commented on Detla expanding to 2 flights daily to Salt Lake City, Zoom Airlines becoming a weekly, year-round flight, as well as an expanded West Jet & Jazz schedule. They also commented on having some flights from Mexican Air last winter and look to make that a weekly occurrence during the charter season. They are really pushing the polar cargo route to the world and will try to improve on our third busiest cargo airport in Canada status.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was at the Winnipeg Airports Authority AGM this afternoon and they commented on Detla expanding to 2 flights daily to Salt Lake City, Zoom Airlines becoming a weekly, year-round flight, as well as an expanded West Jet & Jazz schedule. They also commented on having some flights from Mexican Air last winter and look to make that a weekly occurrence during the charter season. They are really pushing the polar cargo route to the world and will try to improve on our third busiest cargo airport in Canada status.
The word AWSOME comes to mind...

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

This was previously posted in Winnipeg Construction, but thought i'd also place the article here for continuity.

Quote:
Work underway on terminal
Shovels break ground at airport

Thu May 3 2007

By Geoff Kirbyson
IT looks as if the current and future terminal buildings at Richardson International Airport might not co-exist after all.

Barry Rempel, president and CEO of the Winnipeg Airports Authority, said the first shovels went into the ground Wednesday on what will be the most visible piece of the city's largest-ever construction project.

He also said Shelter Canadian Properties, which won a competition last fall to overhaul the 45-year-old outgoing terminal building to include retail space and a new home for the Western Canadian Aviation Museum, has yet to come back to the WAA with a plan for the sustainable operation of the facility.

Rempel said the WAA's intention for the current structure calls for the wrecking ball to take its first swing in either 2011 or 2012.

"The business plan shows the facility coming down. We have to make that call very soon, probably in June. For cash flow purposes, we have to make a call on what the future of the building will be. (Shelter) only has days left. We're hopeful something can happen, but we can't wait forever," he said in an interview.

Arni Thorsteinson, president of Shelter, said he's planning on meeting that deadline.
Click here to find out more!
"We're working on the plan. (WAA) would like to get an agreement with us as soon as possible, but it's a complex plan. If our plan is acceptable, they'll give us the go-ahead," he said in an interview Wednesday.

Rempel told the WAA's 10th annual meeting at the Fairmont Hotel Wednesday that construction of the new terminal building is on schedule and on budget. He said the WAA negotiated a "firm fixed price contract" with contractors.

"They have to have it back to us by the end of 2009 for occupancy," he said.

But the WAA, like virtually every other customer that hired construction workers from 2004 until 2006, did experience some significant rising costs prior to locking in the price, which pushed the project's price tag up from $570 million to $585 million. That, in turn, caused the building's designs to be reduced in size from 610,000 square feet to 530,000 square feet.

Rempel said the smaller size wouldn't affect the passenger experience, security issues or shorten the effective life of the new structure.

"We added technology into the building. We redesigned some baggage processes and made more efficient use of common areas," he said, noting the entire project will be funded by the $15 per passenger Airport Improvement Fee.

Rempel said while passenger traffic keeps chugging along at three to four per cent growth annually, the opportunity for "exponential growth" lies with the WAA's cargo operations and plans for an airport campus, complete with additional hotel rooms, retail shops and expanded operations of neighbouring aerospace companies.
Rempel said the WAA has come a long way during its first 10 years since assuming the airport's management from the federal government.

"We took over what was likely the worst airport in Canada in terms of conditions. Now we're preparing to replace it with the most up-to-date airport in the country in terms of technology and processes," he said.

WAA also released its first-quarter results Wednesday. It reported 861,700 passengers passed through the airport's doors for the three months ended March 31, a 4.8 per cent increase over the same period in 2006.

Its profit for the quarter was $4.8 million, up from $4.5 million a year ago.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Airport snapshot

What a difference a decade makes. Here's a snapshot of the Winnipeg Airports Authority's operations today and when it first took over the management of what is now the Richardson International Airport in 1997.

Then Now

Revenue $22.2 M $60.3 M

EBITDA $4.6 M $28.5 M

Passengers 2.8 million 3.4 million

Cargo 14 150,000

(metric
tonnes)

Rent $970,000 $3.94 M

(to federal

government)

Source: Winnipeg Airports Authority

The impact

The nearly $600-million redevelopment of Richardson International Airport is the largest construction project in Winnipeg's history. Here's the impact it will have on the province by the time it's completed near the end of 2009.

Employment: 7,415

(in person years)

Wages paid: $317 million

GDP: $399 million

Economic output: $1.04 billion

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:35 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
He also said Shelter Canadian Properties, which won a competition last fall to overhaul the 45-year-old outgoing terminal building to include retail space and a new home for the Western Canadian Aviation Museum, has yet to come back to the WAA with a plan for the sustainable operation of the facility.

Rempel said the WAA's intention for the current structure calls for the wrecking ball to take its first swing in either 2011 or 2012.

"The business plan shows the facility coming down. We have to make that call very soon, probably in June. For cash flow purposes, we have to make a call on what the future of the building will be. (Shelter) only has days left. We're hopeful something can happen, but we can't wait forever," he said in an interview.

Arni Thorsteinson, president of Shelter, said he's planning on meeting that deadline.

Fuck.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Fuck.
I second that.

That building could very well belong on a heritage list.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Hopefully Shelter will come through with a decent plan for it. It is a splendid example of mid 60's modernist style (wiki calls it modernist international style). Great photo from the cover of the catalogue for that modernist photography exhibit last year.

Last edited by fengshui; May 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:41 AM
Capitalist

Did any of you check out this month's issue of Airport International magazine??

Gimili Airport is a featured story ... as it once was a significant training base for the RAF ... and than became a Canadian training base. A very interesting read .. in this international magazine.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:25 AM
iron ring

If anyone is interested, instead of a live feed webcam, WAA appears to posting daily photos of the air terminal construction site. It'll start getting interesting shortly...

http://www.waa.ca/?pid=535&gallery=17

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:41 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj View Post
If anyone is interested, instead of a live feed webcam, WAA appears to posting daily photos of the air terminal construction site. It'll start getting interesting shortly...

http://www.waa.ca/?pid=535&gallery=17
Excellent!!!! ... I am in love with this project!!

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:45 AM
Closed account

I suspect that with security concerns surrounding airports, allowing access to a live webcam would not be feasible, since there are parts of the building they may not want the public to see.

This is a nice alternative though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan