HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Those are the stories we need more of... perhaps an interview is in order.
Yeah, get them in now because they don't exist between November to March.;

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

Would love to see more bike routes out into the surrounding neighbourhoods like Vancouver's fantastic calmed bike priority streets that worked really well until they went overboard with separated bike paths. Edmonton seems to have fantastic shared pedestrian/bike paths in the river valley and surrounding neighbourhoods but there seems to be lots of missing links in between save for 127 St. and the path parallel to LRT for example.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:09 PM
Community Guy

Some of the first data/reports of year/year changes in ridership.

https://tpavlek.me/blog/2018/05/27/y...own-bike-grid/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:51 PM

102 ave west of 111st bike lane has the pavement milled. No notice and it makes for some real fun driving in the morning. More so the guys heading westbound since there is barely one lane now.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:11 PM
Community Guy

It was sent out via the City's social media yesterday, last night, this AM and was on the news as well. That said, some onsite signs giving a day or 3 notice would be nice.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It was sent out via the City's social media yesterday, last night, this AM and was on the news as well. That said, some onsite signs giving a day or 3 notice would be nice.
I saw someone being interviewed beside Stantec this morning. Maybe some bitching on the news tonite. Was hoping to ride in the rest of the week. Guess I will need the gravel bike.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 6:09 PM
Community Guy

Pretty neat idea EPL.

https://www.epl.ca/tour-of-epl/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:05 PM
Community Guy

Bike lane safety important for all road users
June 25, 2018

The City of Edmonton’s Bike Education Street Team and Edmonton Police Service will be along the Downtown Bike Network Tuesday morning speaking to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, reminding all road users of the rules when travelling along the protected bike lanes.

Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Time: 9 - 9:30 a.m.

Since the protected bike lanes were implemented in Edmonton, new signage and signals have been installed for the safety of all road users. Spokespeople from both the Bike Education Street Team and Edmonton Police will be available to answer questions.

Media contacts:
Adriana Amelio
City of Edmonton
780-496-2821

Cheryl Voordenhout
Edmonton Police Service
780-421-3507

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:00 AM

The amount of bikes out and about has grown exponentially from last year. This is amazing. I rode to a suburban grocery store and I actually wasn’t the only bike parked there. Wtf is this real life?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:13 AM

Bike lanes are a wonderful marketing tool for bicycles.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
Bike lanes are a wonderful marketing tool for bicycles.
We took a drive through downtown today...I explained to my wife the city says biking is up quite considerably over last year from the COE. We saw 5 bikers on a 10 min tour of downtown! She then said...did they have 2.5 bikers last year lol. Now we have to yield to the random bikers turning right.

So bikers now have the bike lanes yay. And the street..ok....and the sidewalks when the choose. We are not a bike city and this garbage is out of control.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
We took a drive through downtown today...I explained to my wife the city says biking is up quite considerably over last year from the COE. We saw 5 bikers on a 10 min tour of downtown! She then said...did they have 2.5 bikers last year lol. Now we have to yield to the random bikers turning right.

So bikers now have the bike lanes yay. And the street..ok....and the sidewalks when the choose. We are not a bike city and this garbage is out of control.
If you're like this now, you'll probably be complete cancer in old age.

When we moved to Canada back in 2000 (Vancouver), there were no adult bikers anywhere. At least I don't remember seeing any. By 2010 there were some. Today there are lineups on bike lanes and even on random roads. You see adult bikers EVERYWHERE. I bought my first bike (since childhood) 6-8 months ago and now I'm hooked. My car barely gets touched now. Vancouver is all hills and mountain (outside of CoV). Right now I'm living on the North Shore and if you look on the map, it's all mountains here. Every time I go for a cruise I see at least 100-200 bikers.

I've lived in Edmonton. It's fucking flat as a pancake. The only hills are by the River Valley and they're dime a dozen here in Vancouver (meaning it doesn't matter). Edmonton roads are wide as well. You could land an airplane on most Edmonton roads. WTF is your problem? That you have to watch for bikers? If that's your problem, then you shouldn't be driving.

Denmark and Finland weren't bike countries either. They were car countries and their cities were modeled on American ones. In the 50's they made a decision to change things and things changed for the better. I don't expect the culture in North America to change 100% (people are wayyyyy too stubborn in North America), but as you can see from Vancouver, things can improve. So what if Edmontonians aren't biking on mass today? Give it a decade.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:05 PM

^^At what time of the day were you downtown, how many cars were on the road also??

You have to also realize that some infrastructure implemented is there to change the minds of people. But change takes time, I am pretty sure when Edmonton first started paving roads for vehicle use, there weren't traffic jams within the first year.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 6:06 PM
Community Guy

Our condo has had to expand our secure bike storage by 30%.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

Stick to the burbs and the 8 lanes you need to get around.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 9:41 PM
Urban Advocate

All one needs to do is sit for 10 min on 102 Ave around 111 st on a nice day at 8am. The number of bikes going by is staggering.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 10:08 PM

I do kind of echo black star's sentiments.

You have the 'regular' folk on the bike path.
You have the 'enthusiast' on the road.
You have the 'bmxer' that goes wherever the $#% he wants
You have the 'clueless' who still insists on riding on the sidewalk

Sometimes if you're lucky, and you're pulling out of a downtown alley that crosses a bike path, you get the treat of seeing all of them at once while you wait what feelings like an eternity for an opening.

Make no mistake, I'm not against bikes (pedal or gas powered)...look at my username..... but there needs to be some predictability. It's a free for all out there sometimes. Especially at 102 avenue and 103 Street with Encore taking up the bike path. Bikes all over the place every morning. accident waiting to happen.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 10:24 PM

Not going to defend the BMXer type, but I generally don't mind the sidewalk riders as long as their going slow-ish and could just as easily be a jogger, or the one on the road as long as they're going reasonably fast. Neither of those make be have to look somewhere or pay attention to something that I otherwise wouldn't have to, no matter what mode I'm using.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
All one needs to do is sit for 10 min on 102 Ave around 111 st on a nice day at 8am. The number of bikes going by is staggering.
We'll be checking for the 'report' in November through to March....

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
Not going to defend the BMXer type, but I generally don't mind the sidewalk riders as long as their going slow-ish and could just as easily be a jogger, or the one on the road as long as they're going reasonably fast. Neither of those make be have to look somewhere or pay attention to something that I otherwise wouldn't have to, no matter what mode I'm using.
Sidewalk use is fine if there are no bike paths (stay safe), however they should yield right of way to pedestrians, and also to vehicles at pedestrian crossings unless getting off the bike and become a 'right of way' pedestrian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton