HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quebec City, mainly seen from the point of view of the Chemin Ste-Foy road.

https://www.logisquebec.com/appartem...quebec-l236622

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 10:40 PM

/\ Very nice !

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:50 PM

Overall, in my opinion, Quebec City has the worst skyline of any major city in Canada. Ultra depressing aside from the odd historical building and the river and mountains as a backdrop. It looks like Hamilton 40 years ago. Of course, there are those epic low angles around the old city, and if you happen to have the Frontenac and/or Edifice Price in view, it's gonna look nice, but the rest is just...horrible.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:13 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Overall, in my opinion, Quebec City has the worst skyline of any major city in Canada. Ultra depressing aside from the odd[old?] historical building and the river and mountains as a backdrop. [...]but the rest is just...horrible.
Québec probably has one of the least interesting collection of highrises. The 70s left their mark on the city.
But it is certainly not "the worst skyline of any major city in Canada".

What is interesting is what is happening at the foot of those towers.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:28 PM
I am the law!

The horrors of modernist era towers. They are Quebec's skyline. There is none without them

Such confidence with bolded letters. Which cities have worst skylines? A Montreal suburb? Something in Southern Ontario?

Like you said, street level matters so much more. Skylines and number of high rises are superficial identifiers like a air brushed cover model but, oh so much fun to look at or to assemble. As a collector of high rise info, Quebec is the least high rise province of them all and that includes Quebec City.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 4:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It doesn't have a bad skyline. Just not a traditionally North American looking skyline.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:48 PM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:52 PM

Land of living skies.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The horrors of modernist era towers. They are Quebec's skyline. There is none without them
In a lot of cases it was backlash against these 70's buildings that resulted in height limits rather than a ban going farther back. But there wasn't a lot of thought about how limits after some construction would make those hated buildings the most prominent buildings indefinitely.

Another dubious planning guideline is "thou shalt build no taller than building X", which means that eventually building X will be hidden in some tabletop.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 8:25 PM
I am the law!

I'll assume the backlash was against tall towers being erected and the modernist architecture being coincidential. I believe same would happen if the first towers were 2010 glass skyscrapers and we were having this discussion in 2060.

I don't hate the idea if Quebec city centre quit after the Frontenac and Aldred. It would be a weaker skyline

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 8:26 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I recall hearing that there was backlash to both Frontenac and Aldred at the time. Although I'm not sure how much backlash they got compared to the more recent towers. And of course they were inside the old walled city.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think you guys are thinking of Price, not Aldred. Aldred is in Old Montreal.

Price is the art deco early age skyscraper in Old Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:10 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you guys are thinking of Price, not Aldred. Aldred is in Old Montreal.

Price is the art deco early age skyscraper in Old Quebec.
I wasn't thinking at all. Just repeating the previous poster. I'm innocent I swear!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I wasn't thinking at all. Just repeating the previous poster. I'm innocent I swear!
Yeah, yeah. Blame it on the other guy!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Overall, in my opinion, Quebec City has the worst skyline of any major city in Canada. Ultra depressing aside from the odd historical building and the river and mountains as a backdrop. It looks like Hamilton 40 years ago. Of course, there are those epic low angles around the old city, and if you happen to have the Frontenac and/or Edifice Price in view, it's gonna look nice, but the rest is just...horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In a lot of cases it was backlash against these 70's buildings that resulted in height limits rather than a ban going farther back. But there wasn't a lot of thought about how limits after some construction would make those hated buildings the most prominent buildings indefinitely.

Another dubious planning guideline is "thou shalt build no taller than building X", which means that eventually building X will be hidden in some tabletop.

Quebec City from the River is spectacular. Any view that excludes Frontenac, Price or the old City leaves a lot to be desired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City

I agree restrictions that limit height based on a building or feature are ill-conceived. You either get a tabletop Ottawa where the Peace Tower is lost in a horizon with dozens of towers of the same height, or a Montreal where the mountain is lost behind the tabletop.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:04 PM

Glorious colours in that Saskatoon pic.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Such confidence with bolded letters. Which cities have worst skylines? A Montreal suburb? Something in Southern Ontario?

Like you said, street level matters so much more. Skylines and number of high rises are superficial identifiers like a air brushed cover model but, oh so much fun to look at or to assemble. As a collector of high rise info, Quebec is the least high rise province of them all and that includes Quebec City.
worse skyline.... Waterloo. hands down. Quebec City has a lovely skyline (when Frontenac is in the view from the river) but the actual buildings themselves (tower wise) are very unattractive. We can forgive that however because overall, Quebec City is quite beautiful.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Which cities have worst skylines? A Montreal suburb? Something in Southern Ontario?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:50 PM

Any skyline that includes Clockzilla gets some style points in my books!

Quebec has surprisingly few downtown highrises compared to other Canadian cities of similar size. Add a couple modern taller towers and make sure you include Frontenac in all skyline shots and Quebec would be on the best list in no time!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:55 PM
Ham-burgher

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada